• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lucky Tan - Why our education system is all screwed up, starting with PSLE approach

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is the secret in the Israeli education system that makes it different? They spend the first 5-8 years of education encouraging their students to ask questions rather than teach them to answer questions. We do the opposite - we measure the success and achievement of a student and teachers by their ability to answer exam questions. Primary school education is all about learning the facts and methods to answer questions...and year after year the questions are made harder and harder differentiate students in terms of ability to answer questions. We destroy the ability of our students to challenge ideas because the faster the learn and accept, the better they do at the exams. This is why the Israeli system that produces 14 year old who are 19 places behind us in standardized maths and science tests come roaring back to over take us later. We start fast ...but they run further!...and it is the distance that matters.

After putting our children through this pressuring system, the PAP govt tells us that it has to import foreign 'talents' to fill our university and generate economic growth and vibrancy. We have to invest wisely on education but what are we getting in the end? We have to educate each child to their fullest potential over a period of around 16 years not sort them out after 6 years and 'pigeon-hole' them into compartments of decline expectations. Such a system is great for social hierarchy with elite scholars occupying the apex in our society to provide top down directions....but where is the much needed creativity and innovation to propel us forward...in the end much social energy is lost in the sorting process as intense competition erodes the values of teamwork and cooperation that will elevate all in society not just the few to whom resources and opportunities has been disproportionately awarded.

- http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/10/understanding-why-psle-needs-to-be.html

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Lucky Tan - Why our education system is all screwed up, starting with PSLE approa

now you know why sinkies behave like robots... thanks to the sinkie education. I pity those who has kids, sent them to this type of sinkie schools.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Lucky Tan - Why our education system is all screwed up, starting with PSLE approa

I don't know how to say this in proper England, probably call "Study Dead Book" aka 读死书. Results very impressive but real world, CMI.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I don't know how to say this in proper England, probably call "Study Dead Book" aka 读死书. Results very impressive but real world, CMI.

Precisely. Our education system creates robots and automatons.

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal

Our system is engineered to create doers and not thinkers. An entire generation brought up to value efficiency over pausing to think.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Understanding why PSLE needs to be changed[/h]

PostDateIcon.png
October 30th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

Recently, OCBC granted a special PLSE leave plan for its staff:

“Now, anyone working for OCBC Bank or its subsidiaries can squirrel away
up to 15 days’ leave and carry it forward to the next year so that they can stay
home to help their child study for the Primary School Leaving Examination
(PSLE).”[Link]

Here
is what Minister Josephine Teo wrote in her Facebook:

Minister Teo was badly criticised for what she said. The main issue with her
remarks is she tried to apply her own situation to everyone. What her twins need
to perform reasonably well may not be what is needed for other children and
parents. Many parents were unhappy with her saying that OCBC move to support its
staff during PSLE will “feed the fears of parents” – as if parents who take
leave to help their children as irrationally fearful. She also said, “we are
quite mistaken to behave as if PSLE is THE defining moment in a child’s
development”. It is easy for a parent to say this when his or her child is doing
well and is self-motivated under the current system but lets spare some thought
for the parents of children who are late bloomers, playful or haven’t gotten
round to focus on their academics. There is natural and understandable anxiety
among these parents during the PSLE because our education system is a high
stakes game, a few marks can decide if a child goes to “Normal Technical” stream
where the chance of going to university drops to almost zero.

Make no mistake it is a high stakes game:

In my previous articles [Link, Link, Link], I
wrote about the high stress that surrounds the PSLE exam. But I do not blame
this on the parents, they are merely reacting to the system….and it is not
“kiasuism”, their fears are very real because the education system sorts
children into various bins and with each bin is trapped in a certain expectation
– this expectation shapes the achievements and the future of these children –
Josephine Teo is wrong to say not the defining moment of a child’s development –
for many children it is, and the PSLE results is an important decider of their
future.

Putting so much at stake and so much pressure of 12 year old children is very
unhealthy and harms their long term development. It causes our children to
over-achieve in the beginning and underachieve in the longer run because it puts
the emphasis the wrong areas – exams over love of learning, learning fast vs
deep understanding of basic principles.

To illustrate this lets look at some numbers. Suppose you take groups of
students from various countries to test them. Lets take Israeli students,
Hungarian students Austrian students, American students, Swedish students etc at
age 14 , just after PSLE age and test them. Lets test them for math and instead
of using all our students lets just have Malay students whom the PAP (the
former PM Lee) frequently claims are weak at maths. Someone has actually done
such a test [Link]and
these are the results:

Fast off the starting blocks our students are pressure cooked to the point
they are way ahead of everyone else. But education is a long distance thing not
a short sprint and the important outcomes are measured at the end of their
education not at the initial part. Despite this spectacular achievement at PSLE
only 6% of our Malays students make it to university and even fewer to Science
and Engineering….we only educate 27% of all our students to university level
below the average of OECD countries….and our own govt prefers give university
scholarship to foreigners than educate our world beating 12 year olds who rank
number 1 in the world for maths and science. This is the dismal outcome of our
education system…..all the extreme stress at PSLE yields very poor results at
the end – this is the “work so hard for very little results” outcomes for the
system. Compare this with the Israeli system that doesn’t result in high exams
scores in standardized testing – the score far lower that all our racial groups
– but at the end they generate more than enough people for their high tech
industry not to mention the highest Nobel Prize winner per capita in the world.
Despite the frequent and sharp criticism of the Israeli system due to low test
scores, there is one thing they do right …and this secret makes a gigantic
difference at the end in terms of final outcomes. I tell you what it is at the
end of this posting.

Much of the student effort in our system which is now supplemented by a
burgeoning tuition industry goes into trying to beat someone else at exams and
achievement and ability is measured by exam scores….energy is spent getting
yourself sorted to a better streams and schools. Such a system also does not
distinguish us from the systems in China and India who can pressure cook more
children and beat us by sheer numbers.

After putting our children through this pressuring system, the PAP govt tells
us that it has to import foreign ‘talents’ to fill our university and generate
economic growth and vibrancy. We have to invest wisely on education but what are
we getting in the end? We have to educate each child to their fullest potential
over a period of around 16 years not sort them out after 6 years and
‘pigeon-hole’ them into compartments of decline expectations. Such a system is
great for social hierarchy with elite scholars occupying the apex in our
society to provide top down directions….but where is the much needed creativity
and innovation to propel us forward…in the end much social energy is lost in the
sorting process as intense competition erodes the values of teamwork and
cooperation that will elevate all in society not just the few to whom resources
and opportunities has been disproportionately awarded

So what is the secret in the Israeli education system that makes it
different? They spend the first 5-8 years of education encouraging their
students to ask questions rather than teach them to answer questions. We do the
opposite – we measure the success and achievement of a student and teachers by
their ability to answer exam questions. Primary school education is all about
learning the facts and methods to answer questions…and year after year the
questions are made harder and harder differentiate students in terms of ability
to answer questions. We destroy the ability of our students to challenge ideas
because the faster the learn and accept, the better they do at the exams. This
is why the Israeli system that produces 14 year old who are 19 places behind us
in standardized maths and science tests come roaring back to over take us later.
We start fast …but they run further!…and it is the distance that matters.

Lucky Tan

Lucky Tan is an avid online blogger since 2005. He likes to study the
thoughts of Singapore leaders and the laws of Singapore. He blogs at
http://singaporemind.blogspot.com.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

now you know why sinkies behave like robots... thanks to the sinkie education. I pity those who has kids, sent them to this type of sinkie schools.

No amount of tweaking the system is going to help sinkies catch up with the Jews. They're the smartest people on earth. Just count the number of Jewish Nobel prize winners vs the Chinese, Indians and Malays combined. There is simply no comparison.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My parents generation will avoid telling us to "tok sui" roughly translated as " study to loose"! hmmm!! Yes, the academic qualification is very impressive, have worked with one even have first class honors from NUS, participated in many debates, simulated "games" etc.. all came out tops, new on the job, first week make a mistake in a Yen/CHF trade, by entering a wrong zeroes for a deal...lost money through that silly error & others have to cover quickly..and many others, finally got the GO!. So much for paper qualifications & so called "experiences"..impressive..but real world working - ZERO! Last heard, this "maverick" joined M.A.S. ha ha ha, so now we know why we are in deep shits! ha ha ha ha

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Singapore is managed by the very same people who went through our education system. So I don't expect anything to change at all. The mindsets of such people under the current education system are so ingrained and that they have everything well-thought off and we have the best education system in the world, would not allow them to accept Lucky Tan's views.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

No amount of tweaking the system is going to help sinkies catch up with the Jews. They're the smartest people on earth. Just count the number of Jewish Nobel prize winners vs the Chinese, Indians and Malays combined. There is simply no comparison.

The juice tweeked the system to their advantage.
Imagine, at one time, barbara Streisand was voted prettiest women in the world.
And woody allen given good reviews.
By the way, i think caucasians won the noble peace prize by a large margin compared to others. But then, they control the press and the scientific journals.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. tonny, the system literally works mah!
2. sheep beget sheep hoh.

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal

The juice tweeked the system to their advantage.
Imagine, at one time, barbara Streisand was voted prettiest women in the world.
And woody allen given good reviews.
By the way, i think caucasians won the noble peace prize by a large margin compared to others. But then, they control the press and the scientific journals.

Of course ang mohs got more 'noble' prizes. Don't forget, they control the prize money and they award the prizes according to what takes their fancy for the year. It is also about 'politics'. Imagine, an obama winning a noble right in his first year of presidency. WTF did he do to deserve this 'peace' prize and see what has been his performance todate?. If this is not sucking up the yankee cock then obama mother's CCB was not 'long' when he was conceived. Miracle!!! halleluyah LOL!!!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore is managed by the very same people who went through our education system. So I don't expect anything to change at all. The mindsets of such people under the current education system are so ingrained and that they have everything well-thought off and we have the best education system in the world, would not allow them to accept Lucky Tan's views.

Didn't LKY say that there can only be one conductor in an orchestra :confused:

So as long as Lee & family are in power, expect our education system to create only followers.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

our education is meant to serve the interest of PAP.............so it's the right one............for them..........

they merely want braindead scholars that are perfect lapdogs.............

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore education system can be thrown into the gutters from PSLE,Secondary School,ITE,JV,Poly to University.No point getting all the certificates,diplomas and degrees and then they tell u they have to bring in 3 million foreigners to replace and take over the jobs of Sinkees.They sinkees cannot work better,faster and cheaper.They said sinkees are stupid ,lazy,not hard-working but they have to bring the foreigners in to this small island cos the foreigners are the cheapest,yes,cheap,cheaper and the cheapest foreign labour.

Delgro

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ex-MM Lee is to be blamed for all these hoaxes in our crippled education.

We destroy the ability of our students to challenge ideas because the faster the learn and accept, the better they do at the exams.

I was different when I was young. I questioned the teachers who taught me the lessons in school. It's difficult for me to get all the questions answered by them. I had to do my own research or to find them out from someone else.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore education system can be thrown into the gutters from PSLE,Secondary School,ITE,JV,Poly to University.No point getting all the certificates,diplomas and degrees and then they tell u they have to bring in 3 million foreigners to replace and take over the jobs of Sinkees.They sinkees cannot work better,faster and cheaper.They said sinkees are stupid ,lazy,not hard-working but they have to bring the foreigners in to this small island cos the foreigners are the cheapest,yes,cheap,cheaper and the cheapest foreign labour.

World lumpar 1 education system < Ah Neh third world education system. Pathetic :rolleyes:

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal

How come NS is killing sinkies but not the jews?