• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

London's 'ERP' extension to go

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
London's 'ERP' extension to go

LONDON: The western extension to London's congestion charge zone, similar to Singapore's ERP, is to be scrapped after two-thirds of Londoners and businesses said they wanted it removed, Mayor Boris Johnson has said.

A consultation on the future of the extension, brought in by former mayor Ken Livingstone in February last year, found that 67 per cent of individuals and 86 per cent of businesses favoured scrapping the scheme.

With a few exceptions, such as taxi drivers and motorcyclists, all motorists have to pay a weekday charge of £8 (S$18) to drive through the parts of London covered by the scheme.

Plans to extend the congestion charge zone, the world's largest, had always attracted fierce opposition and in the manifesto for the Conservatives' mayoral election campaign earlier this year, Mr Johnson vowed to ask the public for their views.

"I promised I would respect their opinions and I promised that if clear support for a particular way forward emerged then I would act," he said on Thursday. "Londoners have spoken loud and clear, and the majority of people have said they would like the scheme scrapped."

Mr Johnson said he has started the legal process to remove the extension, which includes top shopping areas such as Chelsea's Kings Road; Knightsbridge, home to luxury store Harrods; Kensington and Notting Hill.

The earliest this can be completed is early 2010.

Business groups welcomed the move but Mr Johnson's decision was branded a "foolish and backward step" by his Labour opponents and one that would cost Transport for London (TfL) £70million.

"London's environment as a whole will suffer and local residents will no longer enjoy having 30,000 fewer cars a day clogging up their streets," said Labour transport spokesman Val Shawcross.

The Campaign for Better Transport argued that the extension had helped reduce city traffic by 10per cent.

In August, a TfL report found that while traffic levels had fallen significantly since the congestion charge was first introduced in 2003, London's roads were as clogged up as before it was brought in.

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
how come they are allowed to voice their view?

o thats london, see wrongly. I thought is our unique land.