• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local Trainee Pilots Got Screwed After Paying $140K For Course

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Local Trainee Pilots (Dummies) Got Screwed After Paying $140K For Course

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100513-0000071/My-career-cant-take-off

$140,000 spent on pilot's licence but I can't land a job with local carriers

Letter from James Tan

05:55 AM May 13, 2010

I AM a cadet pilot who has graduated from the flying college which trains all of Singapore Airline's pilots, be it for the main fleet, cargo division, or SilkAir. I belong to a group of about 20 Singaporeans who were willing to pay for the training course at the Singapore Flying College (a subsidiary of SIA).

This training course cost me about $140,000 to complete.

Even though no promise of a job was made, I was still willing to go through the course hoping for at least an interview for consideration for an SIA job.

But the carrier seems to prefer to take in foreign nationals (including some from Malaysia, India and Hong Kong) over the current crop of local Singaporeans, who have coughed up a large amount of cash and have graduated with a Commercial Pilot Licence - only to be bypassed by this group of foreign nationals SIA has hired with zero hours of flying experience, and provided with training from scratch.

We Singaporeans are being overlooked by SIA without so much as an interview. Most of us have to look to the low-cost carriers like Jetstar and Tiger for jobs, as these are the only airlines based out of Singapore that can take in pilots like us with few hours of flying time.

However, Jetstar has a policy of taking in retired air force pilots, which means Tiger remains our only hope of employment.

Setting our sights on jobs with overseas airlines is proving to be a major hurdle. I have sent in more than 200 applications to airlines all over the world but I'm usually rejected because I am a low-hour pilot or because the aviation authority in that country has a job protection clause in place for their pilots from their own nations. For example, Malaysian and Indonesian carriers only allow low-hours pilots provided they are citizens of those countries.

This means the majority of the Singaporean pilots who have paid for their own training are hung out to dry, since we have to vie for limited places with the foreigners for cadet pilot positions, and we are not very attractive to airlines outside Singapore due to our low hours or the jobs policies put in place by other countries' aviation authorities.

So, why does our national carrier prefer to take in foreign cadet pilots with zero hours of flying time over their own local pilots, who have paid their dues in the local pilot training school?

Aspiring pilots in Singapore who want to pay their own way through their training should think twice. Career opportunities are very limited and the cost of training is extremely high. Could SIA comment on why local pilots who were trained at their subsidiary training school aren't given so much as a job interview?

Last edited:

Privpho

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sympathize with this guy. SIA is unlikely to give a full reply as to why and this guy is gonna get blackballed for daring to write in to the national news for this. He can say goodbye to his hopes of flying with SIA already.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jetstar is run by an ex air force pilot, so ex RSAF pilots get dibs on that place, SIA loves foreigners and only accepts its own pilot cadre, if you can get in you made it, if not you Lanlan suck thumb. Tiger....the PIC has thousands of applications from all over the word, so work the math out yourself!

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Local Trainee Pilots (Dummies) Got Screwed After Paying $140K For Course

What are you Singaporeans waiting for .

Start boycotting SIA !

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
What he can do is to apply to be some foreign countries citizen and then re apply or in worst scenario...he can fly the plane below

3.1210629960.airplane-ride-at-tibidabo.jpg

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kum lan stupid sinkie.. LOL

SIA didn't promise you a job when you sign up for $140k course
I really want to know if he even do well in his class of 20 paying students

If he really did well and graduate the top few, I doubt SIA will deny him an interview
In his letter, he didn't talk about other graduates so I think his course mates have gotten jobs.

Another fucking lose that deserve to stick to driving taxis

Last edited:

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

This guy deserves it.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me

This guy deserves it.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the IT Sector,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a IT Person.

THEN THEY CAME for the Bus Drivers,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Bus Driver.

THEN THEY CAME for the Hospitality Sector,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Waiter.

THEN THEY CAME for me

This fucking cunthead deserves it

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Local Trainee Pilots (Dummies) Got Screwed After Paying $140K For Course

This guys had actually answered his own problem.

This training course cost me about $140,000 to complete. Even though no promise of a job was made, I was still willing to go through the course hoping for at least an interview for consideration for an SIA job. (No one promised you a job)

Most of us have to look to the low-cost carriers like Jetstar and Tiger for jobs, as these are the only airlines based out of Singapore that can take in pilots like us with few hours of flying time. (Only budget air may take because had not clocked enough flying hours)

However, Jetstar has a policy of taking in retired air force pilots, which means Tiger remains our only hope of employment. (Of course, retired pilots still got more flying experience than you)

Setting our sights on jobs with overseas airlines is proving to be a major hurdle. I have sent in more than 200 applications to airlines all over the world but I'm usually rejected because I am a low-hour pilot or because the aviation authority in that country has a job protection clause in place for their pilots from their own nations. (Tiger Air is local budget airline? SIA cannot lah, the passenger didn't pay a premium for cadet pilot)

So, why does our national carrier prefer to take in foreign cadet pilots with zero hours of flying time over their own local pilots, who have paid their dues in the local pilot training school? (Because foreign pilot will not write to the press to complain? and you just made it worse for your corhorts)

Aspiring pilots in Singapore who want to pay their own way through their training should think twice. Career opportunities are very limited and the cost of training is extremely high. (Yup, but many still join hoping to get their fair share of free fuck from stewardess? No? Dun Lie!)

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i guess he lost 140k to pap. move on to another job or live off his parent.
this is pap singapore, if he does not agree, he should move on to some other country who care for their citizen.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
the FT invasion is getting worse.

In this time of profitability of companies, minimizing cost of salary, so as to remain profitable, companies like SIA (which is supposingly be a flagship industry of Singapore) are resorting to employing cheaper FTs.

I like the wise words presented by Conan The Barbarian.

When they came for the JOBS of the PILOT,
I say nothing, because I am not a PILOT...

When they came for the JOBS of the BUS DRIVER,
I say nothing, because I am not a BUS DRIVER...

When they came for the JOBS of the Cleaners,
I say nothing, because I am not a Cleaner...

When they came for the JOBS of me...
No one else could say anything, because there wasn't anyone left...

Because everyone has been systematically replaced by the FTs...

Making SGP a docile republic, F in the ass perpetually.

Make your powerful vote count! The Government of SGP is discriminating against their own people.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think this 140k idiot is blaming on the wrong people

it may be possible he graduated with very low grades too

farking cunt head should blame it on himself

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every country in Asia is facing radical changes .

We are watching Thailand .

Look at UK they made up their mind to replace labour party !

Who brought in too many eastern bloc foreign workers .

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
the dude should just blame the 66.66% for all this...its their fault...they cant be bothered dont care or etc....now cause others no jobs

blackreplica

Alfrescian
Loyal
This fool who wrote in had distorted the facts

First of all he calls himself a cadet pilot. He is not actually a cadet but a private candidate. Cadet pilots are selected by SIA before enrolling in the flying college, then commence training under contract with SIA with an employment guarantee (provided performance is up to par), and there is no need to pay any fees. There are, however, some rejects that either fail the interview or dont even get considered, who DIE DIE still want to be SIA pilots, so what do they do? They get their parents to cough up SUBSTANTIAL training fees like 140,000 which he mentions in his letter, to enrol in the same college as the cadet pilots, only as a full-fee paying private candidate with absolutely no guarantee of any kind that you will get a job with SIA. Kind of a backdoor "buy your way in" method. Obviously SIA will happily take these suckers in since they are willing to pay. But do you think SIA will take these rejects as pilots in the long run? Dream on

This fool james needs to wake up and smell the roses. Tried to buy his way in and now that kena left high and dry, cry mother, cry father. I have no sympathy for him

All this told to me by a pilot friend who went though the flying college process, as an SIA cadet pilot, not a half fuck private candidate. He went thru the flying program and never needed to cough out any money. Like the rest of his 20 or so cadet classmates, they all became first officers for either SIA, Silkair, or SIA Cargo. There were one or 2 private candidiates in his course also. One of them joined silkair, the other was given nothing, just like this loser James

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think this 140k idiot is blaming on the wrong people

it may be possible he graduated with very low grades too

farking cunt head should blame it on himself

ask Falip wife....she is not complaining... ha ha ha:biggrin: He can go into teaching!..be a trainer! still can make money?...do stimulator...oops! simulators!..

What is he complaining?...go see the People's Affordable Party...I am sure they have a position for a paid trained pilot...they may need one to fly a plane, in case of emergency...:biggrin:

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
another thinking is;

If he can afford SGD 140,000 in the first place, why would he even want to be a pilot? :smile:

He probably could be a tour pilot if he wants to, flying smaller planes, if truly his passion is a pilot...

now adays, becoming a commercial pilot is not making so much money already...

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kum lan stupid sinkie.. LOL

SIA didn't promise you a job when you sign up for $140k course
I really want to know if he even do well in his class of 20 paying students

If he really did well and graduate the top few, I doubt SIA will deny him an interview
In his letter, he didn't talk about other graduates so I think his course mates have gotten jobs.

Another fucking lose that deserve to stick to driving taxis

Interesting perspective.

And I got this to gripe about: "but I'm usually rejected because I am a low-hour pilot". I thought pilots usually spend time or even money for a license to be full-time pilot dedicating the normal hours of the job.

He probably didn't do well like you said, and he's choosy. Perhaps he could have flown with other countries' airlines if he goes for the longer hours. He wants it easy.

So he has only himself to blame for his predicament.

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting perspective.

And I got this to gripe about: "but I'm usually rejected because I am a low-hour pilot". I thought pilots usually spend time or even money for a license to be full-time pilot dedicating the normal hours of the job.

He probably didn't do well like you said, and he's choosy. Perhaps he could have flown with other countries' airlines if he goes for the longer hours. He wants it easy.

So he has only himself to blame for his predicament.

He is probably looking for a 9 to 5 pilot job where he punches his card at 9 and again at 5. So he can spend time with his gf at cafe wearing his uniform and amplet with his pilot cap placed on the table. I think he should visit time zone often to get his flyingt hours credited.