• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local SBS driver tore backside during a fall but still endured to finish bus route

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm glad to be alive, says driver
20111116.085847_busdriver.jpg

By Daryll Nanayakara

my paper
Wednesday, Nov 16, 2011

He fell down the steps as he attempted to pick up a handful of pickled vegetables a passenger had dropped at the rear exit of his bus in June. It had been raining that afternoon and the floorboard of his vehicle was slippery.

He landed on the steps, hurting his buttocks.

Despite the pain, Mr Jayakumar Rethinasamy, 48, an SMRT bus driver, still took to the wheel of his bus and left the Bukit Merah Bus Interchange to begin his hour-long shift on bus service 176.

About half an hour before he reached the Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange, the pain intensified, but he continued, completing the journey.

A day later, he was warded in the intensive-care unit at the National University Hospital with a deadly form of gangrene that had eaten away at his buttocks and perineum.

His plight was highlighted on the Facebook profile of Mr Ong Ye Kung, the assistant secretary- general of the National Trades Union Congress.

However, some netizens said he was irresponsible. They felt he had endangered the lives of his passengers by choosing to carry on with his shift.

But Mr Jayakumar, who has been with the SMRT for 14 years, brushed aside the remarks with a smile.

"I was not trying to be a hero. They (the netizens) do not know the whole story and the severity of the condition. I assessed the situation and decided that I was still able to carry on and, more importantly, I did not want to inconvenience the 80 passengers on my bus," he said.

Upon completing the journey, he sought approval from his supervisor, who advised him to take a day off to rest at home.

However, the pain became so unbearable the next day that his wife, Madam Saro, called for an ambulance. What happened in between remains a blur, he said, adding that he only remembers waking up in the ICU where his wife, who is a former nurse, and their children, Vanitha, 22, and Premnath, 14, kept vigil, along with other relatives and friends.

Doctors enlightened him on the deadly infection, typically caused by bacterial infection of cuts that are left untreated."They said they had seen nine previous cases, all of whom did not survive," he said.

He was hospitalised for a month, during which he underwent no fewer than eight operations, including a skin graft to repair damaged skin on his buttocks.

Today, he is on a six-month light-duty stint, drawing a monthly salary of about $400 since the accident, a fifth of what he used to earn.

His medical bills were paid for fully by SMRT, he said, politely declining to disclose the full cost of his treatment. It is tough trying to get by, he explained, adding that his savings had been depleted and that he has had to resort to tapping into funds he put aside for his children's education.

There is enough to last him for two months but, in the meantime, there are plans for him to start work in a communications centre providing assistance to fellow bus drivers.

More than six months after the fall, the former army regular still experiences instances of sharp pain when he sits or passes motion. But he remains optimistic. "I'm not affected or angered by what these people are saying online. I am just happy to be alive," he said.

For more my paper stories click here.

keling is shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Local SBS driver tore backside during a fall but still endured to finish bus rout

keling is shit.

ex-army regular once ord cannot make it in real life. can only be security guard or bus driver.

i am ashame to be a keling.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Local SBS driver tore backside during a fall but still endured to finish bus rout

keling is shit.

ex-army regular once ord cannot make it in real life. can only be security guard or bus driver.

i am ashame to be a keling.

u made me laugh. and i like ur nick.:biggrin:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

So now this good keling bo backside liao or what? Report never say the extend of karchang flesh being eaten?

keling is shit

Alfrescian
Loyal

u made me laugh. and i like ur nick.:biggrin:

thanks for the points.

but why laugh? i am stating a fact : keling is shit. the first step towards solving a problem is acknowledging that there is a problem. and the problem is : being keling is shit.

Last edited: