• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local PHD from Stamford have to drive taxi becos of FT.

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

"Probably the only taxi driver in this world with a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of scientific accomplishments, I have been forced out of my research job at the height of my scientific career, and unable to find another one, for reasons I can only describe as something "uniquely Singapore". As a result, I am driving taxi to make a living and writing these real life stories just to make the dull job a little more interesting. I hope that these stories are interesting to you too."

Preface

Since the takeover of leadership by some western “big shots” a few years ago, the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) of ASTAR, Singapore, a place I have worked for 16 years as a PI (principal investigator), a place that was once flourishing, promising, and pleasant to work in, has been in a mess. Bestowed with the kind of power they had never seen before, these once reputable scientists turned everything in the institute upside down. The previous democratic and consensus-oriented management system that had worked well for more than a decade in the past was thrown out of window and replaced by one that was marked by domineering, manipulation, and incompetence. What they lacked in experience of management, adequate understanding of the institute, and proper respect for fellow scientists as their colleagues, they made up for in arrogance, prejudice, and naked muscle of political power. Some PIs were sent packing, and some were promoted, all up to the new leadership’s manipulative and twisted standards. Despite my considerable contribution to building up this place into what it is today, I was among the first few PIs to be told to go. My employment contract with IMCB was terminated by May, 2008, without any forms of compensation given.

I was hence forced into a deeply difficult position. Becoming jobless at my age is perhaps the worst nightmare that can happen to any ordinary man, not to mention the loss of life-long career. Ever since I was informed of their decision sometime in 2007, when the economy was still booming, I had been trying hard to find a job. I had submitted countless CV and application letters to various places in Singapore including universities, government agencies, and private companies. Most of them, however, never responded. A couple of replies I did receive never materialized into anything positive. Later, the outburst of financial crisis world wide helped extinguish my last hope of finding a job anytime soon. By November 2008, I finally made a decision to become a taxi driver.

At the time like this, the taxi business is probably the only business in Singapore that still actively recruits people. I signed up for a training course run by a government-linked transport company in November, with a course fee of nearly $280. On paper, the Express Taxi Driver’s Vocational License Course, or TDVL, is supposed to run six days a week, five hours a day. But in reality, the daily course never lasted longer than 3 hours. The whole purpose of the course was to help you pass the test and get the license. It was divided into five sections, Rules and regulations, Routes and landmarks, Names and locations of buildings, Defensive driving, and General paper, which included subjects such as highway codes, vehicle maintenance, healthy living, etc. The instructors were either veteran taxi drivers or representatives from government agencies such as Land Transport Authority (LTA).

My class started on 1st of December, 2008, which consisted of more than 30 people. There were three classes running at the same time and all were about this size. The course was very easy. Every day, the instructors told us what to highlight on the manual and asked us to memorize them because these were the materials that were going to be tested. As long as you did that, it was impossible to fail the test. Even if you fail, you still have one year to take an unrestricted number of retest. With such ease, no wonder there are nearly 100,000 people possessing taxi driver’s license today in Singapore, almost 3 for every 100 Singapore citizens, children and infants included.

By the end of February this year, I finally received my taxi driver’s license, and thus began my new taxi driver’s career. This blog records some of the events that I have experienced as a taxi driver. They are all actual events and are presented as truthfully as possible. Special precautions have been taken to avoid revealing any specific information which may help in any way the identification of the persons described in these events. The purpose of this blog is to provide readers with the first hand accounts of my experience of converting from a veteran scientist to a rookie taxi driver in today’s Singapore. The views and encounters described in this blog may be insignificant, isolated, or biased. Nevertheless, I am sure some readers will find this blog interesting and helpful in widening their general perspectives on Singapore.

Finally, I want to thank my family for their trust and support, and for always being at my side to endure with me the trauma, the distress and the anxiety caused by my job loss. I also want to thank all of my customers, especially the ones who have shown their grace, kindness, and understanding to me when I made mistakes during my work. They are the important factor to encourage me to carry on.

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its really unfortunate. Tragic even. He says he works in A-star. I thought govt agency dont "retrench" people?
!&!!

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, hello. this fella is an FT himself. Stop being selective about whether nationalised Singaporeans are locals or not. It is so akin to the style of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan.

http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

"Probably the only taxi driver in this world with a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of scientific accomplishments, I have been forced out of my research job at the height of my scientific career, and unable to find another one, for reasons I can only describe as something "uniquely Singapore". As a result, I am driving taxi to make a living and writing these real life stories just to make the dull job a little more interesting. I hope that these stories are interesting to you too."

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. well, if that is the case, he could have tried sumiko or the current red hot writer, lwl to broadcast his case.
2. if this is true, this is newsworthy material.
3. honest, many people at the top just cannot swallow the humble pie and worst of all, spend beyond their means.
4. if he says he is that good, he could have also try north korea or iran.
5. he shall succeed there.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First time I heard anyone getting retrenched from A-Star. One of my reservist mates works there, apparently they pay him to jiak liao bee all day. Is A Star considered Civil service. If kena retrench from local Civil service, that means this guy is really CMI

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it's true he's a Phd holder from Stanford, then he's really deserving of sympathy from our great benevolent fatherly government who takes care of its citizens! With the greatest respect to taxi drivers in general what's a Phd holder doing driving a taxi! He deserves better treatment from his ertswhile employers. Besides our great government is recruiting so many scientists all the time, surely they can fit him into some capacity where his qualifications and experience do not go to fodder. :mad:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If it's true he's a Phd holder from Stanford, then he's really deserving of sympathy from our great benevolent fatherly government who takes care of its citizens! With the greatest respect to taxi drivers in general what's a Phd holder doing driving a taxi! He deserves better treatment from his ertswhile employers. Besides our great government is recruiting so many scientists all the time, surely they can fit him into some capacity where his qualifications and experience do not go to fodder. :mad:

Any Stanford PhD holder worth his salt would have the ability to land plum jobs ANYWHERE in the world.

If he's ended up driving taxis, he must have lost his marbles along the way and is therefore unemployable.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living%20Without%20Marbles.jpg

kamasutra

Alfrescian
Loyal
First time I heard anyone getting retrenched from A-Star. One of my reservist mates works there, apparently they pay him to jiak liao bee all day. Is A Star considered Civil service. If kena retrench from local Civil service, that means this guy is really CMI

The moral of the whole story is that this guy is not a boot-licker.

Hope u got ur abbreviation right...thought it should be CIM (check sammyboy.forum for definition). hehehe

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiyah!

why must always stick to one peesai place called sinkapor?

the world is veddy big you know...

think out of the box!!!

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, hello. this fella is an FT himself. Stop being selective about whether nationalised Singaporeans are locals or not. It is so akin to the style of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan.

The loudhailer is way out of touch.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy had worked for 16 years in research. He should have some saving along the way. I guess his motive to being taxi driver is just to experience other type of life style...:rolleyes:

Reading some part of his blog, one can tell he is quite positive in life and enjoy the 6 months of lifestyle. Will that be his final job as taxi driver? I really doubt so...

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Traders can do as for long as they want eh? Well, it must be hard on you.

hello there

I'm lucky to belong to the group that doesn't perform so badly as to get sacked
also not a star performer so my benchmark doesn't get too inflated!
sometimes, it's good to be able to disappear into a crowd!

Times are hard for all of us

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy had worked for 16 years in research. He should have some saving along the way. I guess his motive to being taxi driver is just to experience other type of life style...:rolleyes:

Reading some part of his blog, one can tell he is quite positive in life and enjoy the 6 months of lifestyle. Will that be his final job as taxi driver? I really doubt so...

Actually, he's had an easy ride in the ICMB all those years
That place was badly managed with lots of govt money thrown into it all those years
He's just been introduced to the real world of academic research ie. cut throat and competitive! If he is a researcher with a cv full of ground breaking publications, what the fish would he still be in singapore?