• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious LKY and how he doomed us with the flawed scholar system he introduced to S’pore

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
The system is good. But right now very poorly managed. The incentives to hold on to scholars made sense when talent was short in SG. Now the doors are open to all and sundry , so we are not short of talent in the private sector. The scholars are smart enough to know that they can't survive in the cruel world outside. So why not look after each other on the inside and milk the system as long as they can. The result of this incest are all the dysfunctions we are now witnessing .

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are over 1 billion Muslims. Vast majority of them want some form of shariah government or are already living under Islamic rule where the shariah law and dhimmi system for non-Muslims exists. This includes "moderate" countries like Malaysia and growing parts of indonesia.

Caste system is still very much practiced and enforced in India. It has the approval of most ah nehs, where low caste hindus, low caste christians and muslims make up a sizeable part of the poor.

Apartheid exists in many countries, including America, where there is proof of white cops beating up and shooting niggers simply because they are niggers. White criminals such as rapists get much lighter sentences.

You don't see these happening in PAP-ruled Singapore. There is sufficient social mobility, and a number of these scholars actually come from poor families.

PAP-ruled Singapore means PAP-controlled institutions and systems permeating every strata of society. These hand-picked scholars coming from poor families; e.g. sons/daughters of seamstress or taxi drivers etc are being used as shining examples of the PAP-scholar system based on so-called meritocracy but if one can be objective, its tokenism at best! Upward social mobility only for the PAP elites but paralysis for the rest left out in the cold and they happen to be the majority. It is a wake up call for the PAP!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The system is good. But right now very poorly managed. The incentives to hold on to scholars made sense when talent was short in SG. Now the doors are open to all and sundry , so we are not short of talent in the private sector. The scholars are smart enough to know that they can't survive in the cruel world outside. So why not look after each other on the inside and milk the system as long as they can. The result of this incest are all the dysfunctions we are now witnessing .
Very well put, and I would even say deliberately mismanaged to perpetuate their feeding at the public trough.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
PAP-ruled Singapore means PAP-controlled institutions and systems permeating every strata of society. These hand-picked scholars coming from poor families; e.g. sons/daughters of seamstress or taxi drivers etc are being used as shining examples of the PAP-scholar system based on so-called meritocracy but if one can be objective, its tokenism at best! Upward social mobility only for the PAP elites but paralysis for the rest left out in the cold and they happen to be the majority. It is a wake up call for the PAP!
The objective of a govt is to improve the lot of every citizen. In this aspect, the PAP has failed. It only tries to improve the lot of one particular small segment whereas the rest of the population can go to hell. this is the most damning proof that the system is not for all, its only for an elite few.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
The objective of a govt is to improve the lot of every citizen. In this aspect, the PAP has failed. It only tries to improve the lot of one particular small segment whereas the rest of the population can go to hell. this is the most damning proof that the system is not for all, its only for an elite few.

Like i said, it may not benefit you but that does not make it flawed. 70% have benefited from it and chose the PAP out of gratitude for their benvolence.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like i said, it may not benefit you but that does not make it flawed. 70% have benefited from it and chose the PAP out of gratitude for their benvolence.

im sorry,ur assumption that 70 percent have benefited from it may not be factually accurate,but they have chosen PAP is true.

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal
If our number one scholar is this clown how not to doom?

image.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
My hypothesis is that Gay Loong, being the first fastracked political SAF Scholar was, became a scholar more through greed then desriee. I believe that when it was time for Gay Loong to study overseas, the Familee were so cheap that they did not want to pay for the $500K plus it would cost. That includes the school fees, living expenses (and of course, we know that Gay Loong cannot stay in a cheap student hostel or dorm), security, etc. So, why not stick the taxpayers with the bill. By being an SAF scholar, he also avoids NS and earning pittance as an NSman. This way, when he comes back from his high cost overseas studies, he starts eaning Capt. salary. Rapid promotion means more earnings. I am sure this scheme was thought up by Gecko. The only 2 main sorces of scholarships back then was the PSC and the SAF. The PSC route would have still involved him doing NS as well, the civil service is much more srutinized then the SAF For example, any stupid cock ups in the SAF by Gay Loong is covered up under the official secrets act. Any cockups if he were in PSC would simply spread like wildfire.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The scholar system by itself is not completely flawed, per se. As I see it, the missing element is accountability and the placing of the right type of qualified people in the right positions. When Old fart was alive, mostly, you did see accountability. In the old days, if Whore Jinx was not his DIL, she would have been fired long time ago. Same too for someone like Dessie Quack, and his screw ups at SMRT. That made for a relatively well run system.

Also, if the system send a promising sinkie to study law on scholarship, and he came back, was bonded in the singapore judicial system somewhere and later decided to "sign on". That is the way its supposed to work. If this same individual, after many years of practicing law and perhaps progressing up the legal system later becomes the Law Minister, then I would say that was a good use of a scholarship because the person actually used it for his career as intended. But sadly, that hardly happens under the PAP. And that is the other major problem with the scholarship system.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
My hypothesis is that Gay Loong, being the first fastracked political SAF Scholar was, became a scholar more through greed then desriee. I believe that when it was time for Gay Loong to study overseas, the Familee were so cheap that they did not want to pay for the $500K plus it would cost. That includes the school fees, living expenses (and of course, we know that Gay Loong cannot stay in a cheap student hostel or dorm), security, etc. So, why not stick the taxpayers with the bill. By being an SAF scholar, he also avoids NS and earning pittance as an NSman. This way, when he comes back from his high cost overseas studies, he starts eaning Capt. salary. Rapid promotion means more earnings. I am sure this scheme was thought up by Gecko. The only 2 main sorces of scholarships back then was the PSC and the SAF. The PSC route would have still involved him doing NS as well, the civil service is much more srutinized then the SAF For example, any stupid cock ups in the SAF by Gay Loong is covered up under the official secrets act. Any cockups if he were in PSC would simply spread like wildfire.

Did they send security officers to stay with him in his Cambridge dorm?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
The scholar system by itself is not completely flawed, per se. As I see it, the missing element is accountability and the placing of the right type of qualified people in the right positions. When Old fart was alive, mostly, you did see accountability. In the old days, if Whore Jinx was not his DIL, she would have been fired long time ago. Same too for someone like Dessie Quack, and his screw ups at SMRT. That made for a relatively well run system.

Also, if the system send a promising sinkie to study law on scholarship, and he came back, was bonded in the singapore judicial system somewhere and later decided to "sign on". That is the way its supposed to work. If this same individual, after many years of practicing law and perhaps progressing up the legal system later becomes the Law Minister, then I would say that was a good use of a scholarship because the person actually used it for his career as intended. But sadly, that hardly happens under the PAP. And that is the other major problem with the scholarship system.

Scholars are versatile. They do not need to be pidgeonholed into a single purpose role to become good at it. That is for worker ants like you. :smile: