• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
A bro just sent this to me:

Business @ AsiaOne

A mega-city taking shape in Malaysia

IT is believed that those who visited Johor Baru five years ago might get lost at the southern gateway if they were to visit it today. -NST

Wed, Jun 22, 2011
AsiaOne

IT is believed that those who visited Johor Baru five years ago might get lost at the southern gateway if they were to visit it today.

This second biggest city in the peninsula after Kuala Lumpur has undergone a metamorphosis in the past five years. It is probably like Singapore, another red dot city.

Works on the new Coastal Highway connecting Danga Bay and Nusajaya is under way. Once completed, the highway will enhance accessibility to the southwestern part of Johor.

For city folk, the anticipated Eastern Dispersal Link will help ease travel woes from Pandan to the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine checkpoint at the Sultan Iskandar Building.

An EduCity has been planned in Nusajaya and several institutions of higher learning are poised to set up their campus in Iskandar Malaysia.

The Legoland in Nusajaya is scheduled to open next year, while the first Premium Outlet in Southeast Asia will open its door in Kulaijaya by the last quarter of this year.

The Iskandar Malaysia project, launched in 2006, has sparked off many vibrant changes.

"Next year is important in the calendar of this region's growth as many infrastructure projects are scheduled for completion," said Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman.

Johor Baru member of parliament Datuk Shahrir Abdul Samad is confident that more investors, expatriates and Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme participants will move to Johor Baru-Iskandar Malaysia.

Skudai assemblyman and Johor DAP chairman Dr Boo Cheng Hau believes there are vast business opportunities for foreigners, too.

Based on the statistics from the Immigration Department, there are 5,289 expatriates living in Johor as of June 15, of whom 4,456 are residing in Johor Baru.

Singaporeans, Japanese, Indians and Filipinos make up the bulk of the expatriates, who are mainly employed in the manufacturing and services sectors.

Most of the MM2H participants favour Johor Baru to Singapore as the cost of living in the southern city is deemed more affordable.

A survey by the London-based ECA International on annual cost of living recently placed Johor Baru as the 37th most expensive city in Asia for expatriates this year, as compared with 41st last year. It is slightly behind Kuala Lumpur, which ranked 33rd, and ahead of George Town, which placed 40th in the ranking.

Johor Baru's immediate neighbour, Singapore, is in sixth position. The republic's ballooning property market and food bills, coupled with inflation and higher currency values, are bitter pills which even the locals find hard to swallow. Some have opted to stay or shop in Johor Baru to cushion the impact.

The Singapore factor has, therefore, raised the competitive edge of Johor Baru. Johoreans know well that the Singapore factor is also the cause of their "suffering", which started when the Singapore dollar started to appreciate in the late 1970s. One had to pay RM1.05 for every S$1.

Most Singaporeans cross the Causeway to spend their money, just like the northerners who like to lavish themselves across the border during the weekends.

On average, about 100,000 people use the Causeway daily, making it the busiest land entry point in the world.

With all the changes taking place, it makes sense that Johor Baru has been re-branded "Iskandar Malaysia". Will there be a name change?

MP Shahrir firmly said: "No way."

Johor Baru was founded in 1855 when the sovereign ruler of Johor, Temenggong Daing Ibrahim, established his administrative headquarters there. It was then known as Tanjung Puteri. His son and successor Temenggong Abu Bakar renamed it Johor Baru in 1866

"History shows that Johor Baru is a royal town and state capital. It is a name that cannot simply be changed or replaced," stressed Shahrir.

"Moreover, Iskandar Malaysia encompasses areas beyond Johor Baru, such as Senai, Pasir Gudang, Nusajaya and parts of Pontian."

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi to all brothers, may I know what time will there be a jam at the causeway? What time does the jam start in the morning and evening? Thanks

by bike, bus or car?
by car peak traffic going back jb starts 5:40ish. i dun think bus is much affected if you walk from old woodlands central to the complex and take bus. bike... forget about it assume all day long. peak traffic going into sg is unpredictable depending on choking point and which way you head into the CIQ. best b4 6:40ish towards 7 for car. Bus anything after 6am (b4 that too many to count blue buses) bike again so many i lost count.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
attachment.php

convoy to desaru.jpg

A leisure drive to Desaru via the new Senai-Desaru Highway on Sunday. It's a common belief that the rich ones are more Kiasi(timid or 'afraid of death' to be specific). I think it depends on how a person got rich in the first place. If one struck the lottery and became rich or he is a rich man's son, well there might be a better chance that he is more Kiasi than the common folks. But if he is an entrepreneur who took different forms of risk to make it rich, I think it is less likely for this category of people to be more Kiasi than the common folks. On the contrary, I think his bravery is one of the important factors, definitely not the only factor, which contributed to his success. These people normally dares to take more risk, whether financially or physically, as compared to the many average folks who don't even dare to step into Johor.

Last edited:

Aeroflot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Folks,

Just started to come back to this thread after a while (actually after a person on this thread asked me about my house purchase) ... still waiting for them to build the foundations of my place ... but am already looking at some ideas for renovation ... would like to ask if its a good idea to use natural hardwood for the balcony? my balcony is rather big and i like the feeling of natural dark wood under my feet ... just wondering would it be practical or expensive ... having terracotta tiles would be a bit warm on sunny days ... and converting the balcony to a grass patch would be eco friendly but might be a hard to do ....

what do you guys think?

Regards

Alex

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like this, Investor! Inspiring...the photo and words , the space, the green, the freedom (even better in fast cars) in Johor Bahru

A leisure drive to Desaru via the new Senai-Desaru Highway on Sunday. It's a common belief that the rich ones are more Kiasi(timid or 'afraid of death' to be specific). I think it depends on how a person got rich in the first place. If one struck the lottery and became rich or he is a rich man's son, well there might be a better chance that he is more Kiasi than the common folks. But if he is an entrepreneur who took different forms of risk to make it rich, I think it is less likely for this category of people to be more Kiasi than the common folks. On the contrary, I think his bravery is one of the important factors, definitely not the only factor, which contributed to his success. These people normally dares to take more risk, whether financially or physically, as compared to the many average folks who don't even dare to step into Johor.

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to Jb today, traffic is normal. No finger printing.

Thanks ginfreely, no jam indeed.

Also I noticed a Singapore car pumping ron95 at a petrol station.. unfortunately I did not risk it as my tank was relatively full when I reached JB, so risk rewards not worth it. Seems worst case is RM100k penalty but probably more like RM1,000 as for personal use.

In this one case I prefer the Singapore rule of 3/4 tank!

fortylurve

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has anyone done an actual calculation on how much one can save living in Iskandar JB compared to Singapore?
To make things equal, leave out kids, pets, etc.
Say, for a recently retired couple, modest lifestyle, with one car, staying in medium class condo, with minimal shopping, eating in restaurants once a week, taking trips to other states once a month.
Not sure how to make everything comparable between life in JB and life in Singapore.
May need to factor in exchange rate, and of course, the cost of living, inflation, etc.
Intangibles like quality of life, friendliness of Malaysians, better food, also relevant but hard to quantify.
Some postings mentioned hugh savings, so I'm keen to know where the savings come from.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
For blinds, bamboo type:
Bamboo Chong @ Perniagaan Lee Teck Mee
No. 155, Ban Foo N/V 81800 Ulu Tiram, Johor Bahru
Zhong Kai Wen - +6016 7935 600
+6017 7945663

For Money Changer
Superlink Money Changer Sdn Bhd
62, Jalan Indah 1 Taman Bukit Indah
+607 238 7288

For canvas awning, retractable and fixed types
Wong peng Kee +6012 752 4470
This uncle you need to negotiate a bit, a bit ex but still
cheaper than quite a few.

For 2nd hand cars
Tey Chee Wee (he likes people to call him Tey) - +6012 738 2676
60 Jalan Putra 1, Taman Tan Sri Yakob
81300 Skudai

- Try not to go in SG car plate when viewing cars.

Hi wuqi, thanks for sharing all ur contacts. It's very useful and helps out those new ones moving to Nusajaya to quickly settle down.

I read about your life experience and it is great to know that even with all the hardship and negativity in ur life, you have overcame it and you're now doing well in your life. It is very inspiring to hear your stories. Thanks for sharing; thanks for helping!!

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Da Ke Wuqi...
It's painful when your most dearest Dad said this to someone else outside the family... just reminded of my mom saying me being stupid in my teens when we bumped into a nice neighbour asking how all of us r and my studies while in the lift. I got so upsad that once the lift landed, i questioned am i that stupid?? or the real problem is something else.. so i asked my mom back why she must say this infront of others?? She replied we must learn to be humble... w/o hesitation my response to her was being humble doesn't mean need to claim me stupid! I then say if pple ask me my mother good anot... i should be humble and say no good lah... cos this is humble which my ma taught... i guess it's old thinking by saying this would not make u look or sound too proud. But think about this... isn't it's a great thing to know and appreciate that you have a loving kid that loves his Dad no matter whether if the kid has got the best school results or earning the most.. it matters is the true from the heart. Got such a heart it is more worth than gold.
You did your best and may even exceed the others (siblings/friends) always striving to your most best... heaven got eyes... just know as long you do with your heart... the rest no matter who, what says won't hurt you. I'm constantly reminding myself this too... (being the only child oso got this kind of problem.. )
Jia jia you ben nan nian de jin... ren yao xue wang hao de kan! Yen chian jiu hui yi pian kwang ming le... Jia you jia you jia you!

Hi Skippy... i guess in Asian context, that's normal for some parents to say that about their kids in order to appear "humble". It is the total opposite of American culture where parents tell their kids that they are beautiful/handsome, they sing well, act well, etc in order to boost their confidence... to a point that these kids grow up to think they are very good. And when Simon Cowell criticizes their singing; they can't accept it... and cry and get angry. That was what my previous CEO told me; he studied and work in America for 5-7 years before returning to MY.

Hopefully, when we raise our kids, it'll be a better way that boost our kids' confidence, and at the same time keep them grounded.

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, just an update....

I have not encountered the finger scan thing.. They will scan the passport as per how Singapore does it if you have the MACS sticker... For those without MACS, they still use chop??

nusajayaphile

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just noticed that the asking prices of Horizon Hills houses on www.iproperty.com.my have shot through the roof.

Cluster corner semi-d in The Gateway (unfurnised) asking for RM1,050,000:

http://www.iproperty.com.my/propertylisting/1019906/HORIZON_HILLS_Cluster_Homes_ForSale

This semi-d (unfurnished) with golf course views was listed at first as RM1,350,000 on 20 June. The next day when I checked, the price had been revised upwards to RM1,480,000!!!

http://www.iproperty.com.my/propertylisting/1015731/Nusajaya_Semi-detached_House_ForSale

This furnished cluster semi-d in The Gateway is asking for RM900,000!!! An unfurnished one in The Golf was sold at RM650,000 just last month.

http://www.iproperty.com.my/propertylisting/1013975/Horizon_Hills_Jalan_Ambang_Cluster_Homes_ForSale

Looks like a lot of early investors are cashing in even before 2012!

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just noticed that the asking prices of Horizon Hills houses on www.iproperty.com.my have shot through the roof.

Cluster corner semi-d in The Gateway (unfurnised) asking for RM1,050,000:

http://www.iproperty.com.my/propertylisting/1019906/HORIZON_HILLS_Cluster_Homes_ForSale

Look fishy to me,I seen that unit, the above is super-linked house and not cluster corner semi-d. I heard it was sold recently at 1.08M now on sales again at 1.05M ? Anyway,you can put whatever price but only a property transactions with caveats lodged is the true price.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look fishy to me,I seen that unit, the above is super-linked house and not cluster corner semi-d. I heard it was sold recently at 1.08M now on sales again at 1.05M ? Anyway,you can put whatever price but only a property transactions with caveats lodged is the true price.

Afaik, property agents in Msia often multi co-broke. Even if you call them, they are clueless most of the time, and if you can jolt their memory, they will tell you the price has not been updated! Of course not all are like that but so far, that has been my luck.:(

P

polyman

This is the first time I u turned on the causeway bridge!!

Wanted to update myself on the various property development in JB and tried going in today. Checked onemotoring at around 10+ and saw all clear. However when i reached the causeway, it was jammed half way. Lucky I saw an opening at the divider and U turned back to Sing. This is the first time in so many years of going into JB, i U-turned on the causeway!! I suspect its the finger printing again.

Then it dawned on me.,..

At least I can U turn and have the choice to choose whether to go in or not. Once committed to a house there, there is little or no choice. I have to sit through the jam shit. Toll shit, boot opening shit, queue cutting shit, passport stamping shit.

I think I have the causeway phobia liao. EDL and coastal highway is good..unfortunately bottleneck/hurdles still at the 2 bridges.

Wasted S$1.20 on the toll but gained S$200K in the process.

P

polyman

This is the first time I u turned on the causeway bridge!!

Wanted to update myself on the various property development in JB and tried going in today. Checked onemotoring at around 10+ and saw all clear. However when i reached the causeway, it was jammed half way. Lucky I saw an opening at the divider and U turned back to Sing. This is the first time in so many years of going into JB, i U-turned on the causeway!! I suspect its the finger printing again.

Then it dawned on me.,..

At least I can U turn and have the choice to choose whether to go in or not. Once committed to a house there, there is little or no choice. I have to sit through the jam shit. Toll shit, boot opening shit, queue cutting shit, passport stamping shit.

I think I have the causeway phobia liao. EDL and coastal highway is good..unfortunately bottleneck/hurdles still at the 2 bridges.

Wasted S$1.20 on the toll but gained S$200K in the process.

nusajayaphile

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow! If it's just a super-link house, the price of RM1,050,000 is very high leh! Already very high for a cluster semi-d, what more a super-link?

I think a lot of HH owners are jacking up their asking price, based on the anticipated completion of many key projects in 2012.

Also, Centrale8 DBSS flats in Singapore are asking sky high prices - 5 room flat as high as S$780,000!!!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Few link houses (unless its super) have parquet done on their first floor(2nd floor to us Singaporeans)

Mainly only the Semi-D units have this, even clusters in The Gateway do not have hardwood flooring/parquet on the 2nd floor.

For bros who are keen, just found out limited units of Nusa Duta left for semi-ds. Cheapest one is about 7xx k, i would think its a very safe bet, especially if for own stay.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Few link houses (unless its super) have parquet done on their first floor(2nd floor to us Singaporeans)

Mainly only the Semi-D units have this, even clusters in The Gateway do not have hardwood flooring/parquet on the 2nd floor.

For bros who are keen, just found out limited units of Nusa Duta left for semi-ds. Cheapest one is about 7xx k, i would think its a very safe bet, especially if for own stay.

Yes, gateway super-link terrace comes with timber-strip flooring. It's even more exp than some cluster hse.

Isn't Nusa Duta situated on lower ground of Bukit Indah and near electrical Pylons?

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yes, gateway super-link terrace comes with timber-strip flooring. It's even more exp than some cluster hse.

Isn't Nusa Duta situated on lower ground of Bukit Indah and near electrical Pylons?

Yes its on lower ground and flat but its still sited higher than the main road. I did a check and found that the nearest one is far enough not to pose a problem unlike another one just beside the development which locals have told me is too near.

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal

It was actually launched at a higher price than most if not all clusters at Gateway.

It has bigger built-in than most Semi Dees at Gateway, at super size of 3000 sq feet, and 4 of the units have direct golf view. Also only 3-4 units in a row, with a big patch of grass at both end, a big round-about in the centre for these 10 such units available in the whole of Gateway, unblocked front, back and even side view. The owner of the unit is a high ranked personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.