• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
AP,

Something happened, not good to share here, we decided it is best for us to go back.

Not travelling issue.

I hesitated in sharing our latest encounter in this thread, not wanting to affect anyone reading it (active and passive readers). But a few have asked me to share the encounter.

I am just like everyone here, wanting to start living in Johor, and am glad to find this thread while doing my research before coming over. I started back in 2009 and finally convinced my family to move in May 2011.

We have stayed for a month and settled in already in Johor. Then it happened.

Our unit was broken in, together with our 2 neighbour units on the same floor (we stay in a condo with security)

My wife was in shock and very shaken. The burglars waited for us and our neighbours to go out before breaking in.

It happened within 1 hour when we were just downstairs and still in the estate.

Then we read in papers to find a similar case:

10 homes broken into in 3 hours
JOHOR BARU: Ten apartment units at Bayu Puteri 3 near Permas Jaya here were broken into and robbed of cash and jewellery worth about RM200,000 over a span of just three hours.
All it took was 18 minutes to break into each unit, leaving one wondering how the thief or thieves was so fast and lucky in each of the attempt.

The string of thefts in the 10 units from three apartments adjacent to each other occured at noon on Wednesday when all the occupants were out at work.

Noraina Mohamad, 25, and her sister, Noramalina, 28, only knew about the break-in after they reached home at 8pm.

Noticing that the grille had been cut and the door damaged, both entered the house to find it had been ransacked.

Noramalina went to her bedroom and found her RM100,000 cash missing.

Another victim, B. Mogana, 24, said it took an expert to break into 10 houses within such a short span.

"I lost RM20,000 worth of jewellery and some cash.

"I never knew the security here was so bad.

"Being able to break into 10 units within three hours is no easy task.

"It also speaks volumes of the poor security."

The victims lodged reports at the Permas Jaya police station.

Johor Baru South deputy police chief Superintendent Abdul Samad Salleh confirmed the break-ins and said the intruder or intruders must have broken into the units when all the occupants were away.

"We will enhance our patrol in the area."

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/22lastly/Article/

Now we are back to Sgp.

While I am still willing to try to live in Johor, my wife is too afraid to try, we have no choice but to change plan.

I really appreciate help in finding a buyer for my car.

Thanks.

Malapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to hear about your plight. This indeed is a well planned housebreaking committed by seasoned housebreakers. Come to think of it, to cut open grilles and doors requires pretty heavy equipments which would generate certain level of noise. If there is a construction site or renovation going on within the condo, it would be the best cover up. But to hit the Rm100K jackpot isn't pure luck. Some guys must have been monitoring within the condo and tipped off to the perpetrators.

The modus operandi makes it pretty obvious that it's an insiders' job. The lapse in security is a big issue here. They really need a harsh law to deter crime like what we did to drugs.

Malapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its the one at the interchange, opposite the macdonalds and beside bata shoe shop. Just a small simple counter. I think their rates are the best around the east area. No bargaining though.

I went to the same money changer yesterday. Displayed rate was 244.3 for sum above S$300 only. I wanna change 2k and asked for better rate. Guy says "Sorry! Best offer!"

The location is pretty easu to find. It's directly opps Mcdonalds at Bedok Bus Interchange. Right beside a 4D outlet and a bank. BATA shoe shop is also there.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you so loser? When i was in Sydney, my house broken into 3 times in 5 years. I bet if it was an Ang Moh country, you will find it acceptable... Zzzzz...

I saw the news clips... This is JB. How many people have $100K cash at home? $20K in gold and jewelry is believable if you are Singaporean.... So what is the solution? Just don't keep valuables at home. FYI, the most expensive thing I lost in the break ins was my laptop...along with a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hesitated in sharing our latest encounter in this thread, not wanting to affect anyone reading it (active and passive readers). But a few have asked me to share the encounter. I am just like everyone here, wanting to start living in Johor, and am glad to find this thread while doing my research before coming over. I started back in 2009 and finally convinced my family to move in May 2011. We have stayed for a month and settled in already in Johor. Then it happened.Our unit was broken in, together with our 2 neighbour units on the same floor (we stay in a condo with security) ... Now we are back to Sgp. ...While I am still willing to try to live in Johor, my wife is too afraid to try, we have no choice but to change plan.

Dear abugumgum
I am sure I speak for many on this thread when I express my deep sympathies for your nasty experience. Hope you did not lose too much. The feelings of outrage and violation are difficult to come to terms with. The ONLY thing that is remotely a relief is that you were not home, because a personal confrontation with armed robbers - with the real risk of violence - is worse.
It is not our place to demand better security from our host country - they know very well that investment will be withdrawn or halted if they cannot provide this.
As we have chosen to take the risk, for many reasons including enjoying the many good points about living here (investment opportunities aside), then we would be wise to take security into our own hands. Steps would include demanding proper guards if we are paying for it in monthly fees.
In the home: solid grilles, quality locks, guard dogs outside and (even yappy lap) dogs inside, quality alarms and all the non-lethal protection you can summon up.
It is a choice we make and need to live within the parameters of.
It will take a while to get over the shock ... don't make decisions in haste. And if you still choose to live in Singapore, that may be a good choice for you.
There is a trade off whether you live in Singapore or Johor ... only your family can decide for itself what is best to do. There is theft and robbery in all countries - this is growing also in Singapore, and it is a myth that crime is negligible there; although it is certainly less obvious for now. In almost all other 'developed' countries crime is already taken for granted, and people have learned to cope and take the necessary precautions.
We are committed to living here and hope to continue in very careful peace.
Deep breaths x

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
We should never revel in the misfortune or tragedy of fellow humans.

I for one definitely am not a sucker for ang mohs. I do not condone such acts.

Why you so loser? When i was in Sydney, my house broken into 3 times in 5 years. I bet if it was an Ang Moh country, you will find it acceptable... Zzzzz...

I saw the news clips... This is JB. How many people have $100K cash at home? $20K in gold and jewelry is believable if you are Singaporean.... So what is the solution? Just don't keep valuables at home. FYI, the most expensive thing I lost in the break ins was my laptop...along with a few hundred dollars.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow the good news seems to be dribbling in. i am rubbing my palms in anticipation of the realization of the new developments. despite all the setbacks i hope this will slowly reverse the downwards trend both in perception and past 'empty' promises. =)

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
WoW! It took me half a day to read thru all pages in this forum. Excellent postings and accurate information. Thumbs up!

I do not have a big budget (RM500K) but really wish to get a place near Bukit Indah esp Aeon, Tesco area. HH is a good place but exceed budget. Went to Horizon Residence and almost 90% sold. Limited units to choose from.

Guess luck and timing not on my side.

if you are a malaysian, you still have pockets of opportunities even in HH (resale) if you're not bound by the 500k limit. if sgporean perhaps re-evaluate your finances incoming and outgoing and plan ahead. don't totally give up. I was in a somewhat similar situation for the longest time until recently. there will be a big housing supply coming into fruition come 2012/2013 perhaps then it may be easier? dun give up! =)

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I ask which is the best route to drive from Punggol to HH? I've tried 2nd Link and it takes me a good 25 minutes drive to reach Tuas.

Pending JB coastal highway? For now, i'd prefer using the expressways to get to tuas even from punggol. JB city traffic and perling/skudai trafffic may be terrible in peak hours, at least heading to tuas is opposite to peak flow mostly. But off peak hours can use the causeway over tuas.

Skippy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to the LC AGM today for HH, maybe my haircut didn't help. First thing when i met up with folks there going in for the event, their questions:

1. Where is your father?
2. Are you representing him?
3. Are you really a member?

Funny, suffered so many years and then working 2-3 jobs and finally doing ok. The moment you are doing ok, people give you problems. They ignore you or say behind your back, that guy is here because of his family. Its impossible for someone so young to be here.

I just smiled politely and told them my dad was overseas. They seemed to think that everything i have is from my dad. Well in a way it is for if not for him, i wouldn't be here(born).

Back then, at age 25, i had a Benz, told myself my first car will be this. My pay then was slightly higher than my current now so i always told myself, that was my golden years. Folks though, have a tendancy to always assume people are financed by their dads/family when they see people with nicer cars. I never bullied people in my capacity and always tried to be humble.

Only recently did some relatives know of my past drawn, even then it was by accident. All these years, those who laughed at me when they said they earned 3k a month, i never said anything but congratulated them. They even laughed at me when i took my wife for honeymoon as they thought we didn't have money for a wedding dinner. Even teased us saying how come you no money, go do wedding dinner at void deck lah, no money to buy 3 room flat, buy 2 room lah.

Little did they know, after suffering all these years because of family issues and always being looked down upon, the minute you are doing ok, people turn around and accuse you of being here because of your dad?

Worse, there was a relative who had 2, lets say average kids. She would always say, oh your dad is so good to you guys, drove you guys to school every day, give so much pocket money, he must have let you attend university in order for you to get where you are. My sons are useless because their father is so bad, take their money, use their savings to pay debts, beat them with a hammer, etc. She always side with her sons and never made them face the truth, in the end, her constant cover ups led to her sons becoming worse.

Well, i didn't get to attend school after 15, it was all on my own, my right and left hands still have permanent fractures. Parts of my ligament were even permanently torn.

Lets not even talk about the many debts and getting people out of trouble. I found it ironical that the same people who despised me and my family because of him now attributes all our successes to him.

Worse, some folks here would even boast to us they cover regional, etc. I take the lead from one of my uncles who is always humble despite being an ex GM of many big companies, thats why i always just smiled, never felt tempted to ask the irritating guys if their shiny BMW are from their dad. :smile:

I would be happy to see people succeeding, even those who are younger. There is no minimum age to achieve success, just because you can only get a semi-d/ bungalow at age 50 does not meant others cannot do it earlier than you. People who are better than you and me number in the tens of thousands and many are younger too. Always get the attitude here and at the clubhouse, are you sure you are the member, isn't your dad coming, how much did your dad buy his house for ah? Oh, its yours? Is it a present from him? Wow, you got tenants, you mean your dads tenants is it? So many cars outside your house, how much did your dad pay for his cars?

Sorry for this rant, need to get it out of my system, after this i am fine as i try not to let people like that bother me. :smile:

Hi Bro Wuqi,

Pls dun be bothered with such pple of the world cos they just simply got nothing better to do. I cannot say i feel how u feel entirely but i came across such relatives and friends. You may be the one from the guy side saying this... i'm sharing from a gal side.
Was frm gal skool since, and many of the gals in skool are either filthy rich or FT's kids. Managed to get a slot cos family donating computers or big $$funds so they can get a place to study in sg. When they do wrong or got caught for many stuff... $$ can settle under the table. Well if u wan to say, money can make wonders, i think it did not help to really teach the kids the right mindset. As for my relatives, they have always stigmatised that my family is poor and pathetic cos no car, one kid and only a 3 room flat. I was pretty upsad from their actions and claimed being a part in the family. I told myself i better work darn DARN hard to get $$ to buy a brand new car. So passed my Driving licence once and then head to buy a new car with my Papa's name (cheaper insurance). Hoe.. my relatives change colour right away... the lunar new year, called my mom and asked her over for dinner and keep reminding us to turn up. There after many many things change and it start to make me feel weird... even till today, they keep callin to ask my folks to drive them in to see hses, enjoy makan and keep saying y didnt update them on the purchases of hse in jb & etc... to me i'm still working hard to get my parents a better place to live & retire and hope to do my best for them. I guess it longer bothers me how others see... it's more of the family kinship. i do know pple like to calculate with you... but sometimes some things cant just use figures to balance them. I just hope that my folks are safe and healthy and in their lifetime, they have the best ever, so long i can do for them within my means. I'm sure every kid has the same heart for their parents.

Sorry for the long one...

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hesitated in sharing our latest encounter in this thread, not wanting to affect anyone reading it (active and passive readers). But a few have asked me to share the encounter.

I am just like everyone here, wanting to start living in Johor, and am glad to find this thread while doing my research before coming over. I started back in 2009 and finally convinced my family to move in May 2011.

We have stayed for a month and settled in already in Johor. Then it happened.

am so sorry to hear about your cautionary tale. no wonder the current condo i am staying in have got warning message in the lift and they are reacting immediately to step up security even though there are no cases here. but i am going to take precautions and step up my own security measures nonetheless.

the bayu puteri area i have considered before when deciding to shift into jb. but decided against for a variety of reasons. If you're keen to venture back again perhaps bring your wife to developments which are more focused on security. She can see for herself and feel more confident. It is definitely no guarantee but at least chances are much reduced.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. Hope you'd adjust back to norm back in SG.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
We should never revel in the misfortune or tragedy of fellow humans.

I for one definitely am not a sucker for ang mohs. I do not condone such acts.

How the hell am I reveling in his misfortune? What acts are you condoning? Look, you have to learn to step out of your comfort zone. I didn't go crying home when my house was broken into... What is this bullshit about oh I feel so sorry for you blah blah blah... Sure, stay in Singapore while the water boils. Whatever rocks your boat...

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Prof

Occasional indulgence shld be ok lah... egg prata for rm1.50. Mutton curry is delicious.

Btw, there is a new Taiwanese Puff Restaurant at Austin (near international school, same row as the E&Y 24 hrs prata eatery). Puffs with a wide variety of fillings are great. Serves also nasi lemak (rm7.50) and western food (rm13 up) too. Small portion, a little expensive, but taste good.

Prof, any good restaurants to recommend at Setia Tropika area?

HOme breakfast for me today.

Cant eat from mamak shops. Unhealthy. My opinion...

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to Western Union for my first payment. S$10 service fee. Issue cash cheque to Western Union. Exchange rate was good/ok. Need to show prove of purchasing property (eg Receipt, SPA).

Originally Posted by nusajayaphile
Anyone can supply name and address of moneychanger in Singapore who will remit RM over to developer's bank account in JB?

Trying not to take a loan to finance our purchase of a link house in The Hills Precinct. So need to remit RM over each time the developer calls for payment.

Tried asking a few moneychangers in Singapore, but none of them offer this service. In fact, 1 or 2 of them gave me a strange look, like I'm money laundering, not realizing it's to pay for a house. Would appreciate fourumers' tips on how to remit ringgit over.

Also, because payment is progressive, any idea how often the developer will call for payment? I know that the house has got to be completed within 2 years, but I think it will be faster than that. Construction has not commenced yet, and we are still in the option period - have not signed SPA yet. Once they start, how fast will they complete the foundation, r.c. framework, brick walls. etc? Need to arrange for cash flow to fund the purchase.

Thanks to all in advance, for any advice.

Raffles money change pte ltd

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all,

It is not my aim to affect or discourage people from living in johor. You can read it just as "another" story in the newspaper.

However, do step up security measures immediately ( as Mallow has kindly shared). Do not wait or hesitate (if you are still considering for whatever reasons).

Sure, it is not 100% foolproof, however, the deterrence will be helpful as well as slow down the burglars if they come, giving more time to react. We have to protect ourselves.

Yes Mallow, we are thankful not to bump into the burglars (we were in the estate and away for 1 hour from the unit).

I have to take care for my family's well being and interest, not everyone is built with same threshold, hence the first and foremost thing to do is to pacify her and reassure her safety.

It is certainly not because I did not expect crime, not because we did not have taken security steps, nor it is because this is not Ang Moh Country (so that we cannot accept).

We have just become part of the statistics that's all. Our break-in is just one day after the Permas Jaya case, with similar operations. Just tough luck to happen so early in our stay here (we are settling in and very happy)

Maybe we will be back again in Johor one day.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi
Can update us on the sales of The Hills Terrace? Any new launches?
Thanks.

Anyone can supply name and address of moneychanger in Singapore who will remit RM over to developer's bank account in JB?

Trying not to take a loan to finance our purchase of a link house in The Hills Precinct. So need to remit RM over each time the developer calls for payment.

Tried asking a few moneychangers in Singapore, but none of them offer this service. In fact, 1 or 2 of them gave me a strange look, like I'm money laundering, not realizing it's to pay for a house. Would appreciate fourumers' tips on how to remit ringgit over.

Also, because payment is progressive, any idea how often the developer will call for payment? I know that the house has got to be completed within 2 years, but I think it will be faster than that. Construction has not commenced yet, and we are still in the option period - have not signed SPA yet. Once they start, how fast will they complete the foundation, r.c. framework, brick walls. etc? Need to arrange for cash flow to fund the purchase.

Thanks to all in advance, for any advice.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about Prata one of my friends asked me to Da Bao cheese prata from balestier food centre. He asked for 2. guess the price. S$6 for 2.

I was shocked.

Surprisingly the prata is made by a guy from China. Incidentally he makes the teh tarik and kopi tarik there as well....

No bro at Setia Tropika no great place to eat.

Ofcourse we have KFC, Pizza Hut and Starbucks and soon Macdonalds, Wendys and Kenny Roasters....

But the shop houses.... nothing fantastic from my perspective....

I am not sure if anyone else has a different opinion.

Cathy, what do you have to say?

BTW i tried the Magic Mushroom pub. My wife felt it was a bit sleazy for comfort. So stopped going there. Too dark inside.... So you know what happens or what is supposed to happen....

Hi Prof

Occasional indulgence shld be ok lah... egg prata for rm1.50. Mutton curry is delicious.

Btw, there is a new Taiwanese Puff Restaurant at Austin (near international school, same row as the E&Y 24 hrs prata eatery). Puffs with a wide variety of fillings are great. Serves also nasi lemak (rm7.50) and western food (rm13 up) too. Small portion, a little expensive, but taste good.

Prof, any good restaurants to recommend at Setia Tropika area?

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yday only went out to Church and that was it.

Ate at home whole day courtesy my mum who cooked and my wife who made the occasional coffee.

My idea to go KSL mall/find the toddy shop/visit cafes-bistros in the Austin area was tossed out the window by my wife....

So yeah the kids studied atleast 6-7 hours yday. Maybe home schooling is an option to be considered... But then the kids miss out on the social interaction skills part....

Wah the kids got the stick from my wife..... Quite painful la teaching the kids.... But i strongly believe parents are the childs best tutors..... Tution is not or never an option.... If ever tuition is the only alternative left..... regular monitoring of tuition is essential......

And then of course the once a week or twice a week tuition does not work at all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.