• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. there was a minimum price back then, minimum 250k MYR if you buy from developer, 350k if you are buying it resale.

Indeed. Thanks for that clarification.
Those were funny days with the naysayers lurking at every corner even to scare people from even investing RM250k in houses in JB :smile:

Last edited:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Tansi, you are right. I passed the immigration counter again with my family with our passports with MACS. The officer looked dead serious at the beginning. After telling him we had MACS, he turned very friendly and smiled to us. After taking a quick look at MACS, we were let go.
No worry on MACS. Have been thru that numerous times for over a year. Officers at either causeway or 2d link often just take a look at the MACS and then pass back passport. A few times, they typed something into their computer terminal before passing back. Never a single question. Some even appear happy for a sinlang job.

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Wuqi, actually I have never been to those hawker food close to Jusco Bukit Indah before and I heard someone mentioning this place before. Actually where is the location? Is it within a walking distance from Jusco?
My wife is allergic to chicken meat. But she is ok with pork. In Jusco, it seems most restaurants there do not sell pork but only chicken or maybe beef.
Bro, any good place to recommend close to Jusco Bukit Indah, which has dishes with pork?

Yes i have, even at the lok lok van outside Allianz bank. I am still alive and kicking (as far as i know).

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha,
I choose HH with golf view because knowing someone will definitely take care of the maintenance and view for me.. For my future retirement living, I also don't need a house that is too big.. HH is also near amentities and since houses with golf theme or view are limited, I guess it will be easier to sell if I want to do it one day.. The furnishing in EL should be much better and modern but I think if I am willing to spend the difference between EL and HH, I can definitely renovate the house to be as beautiful and modern as I want.. Also I like more community living and prefer an estate with a mixture of terrace, cluster, banglow, semi-d as long as it is safe.. I guess buying house is also something personal.. Don't need to seek too many opinions.. Everyone has different taste and needs.. Also if I want to play golf, I can always knock on neighbour's door such as Icyraine to see if he is free.. The other development that I like is leisure farm.. Not so much amenity but definitely safe with lots of birds and animals.. I don't mind living in other developments but I guess If it is yours, it is yours.. Only you know..

I like both EL and HH.

For EL, i like it's design, compare to HH, it is more exclusive and it has a "high end" feel to it. For HH, the strong point is that it has an international golf course and that add certain commercial value to it, with players like Pádraig Harrington and others playing at HH, even if there is a down turn in economy HH will still hold some attraction and gain some attention from the public. Of course this doesnt mean that HH will have better appreciation than EL for investment purpose, but it does give me some assurance that HH will remain in the radar for some years to come.

Personally i would like to stay at EL (i like the house design and surrounding) but i will "live" and invest in HH, becuase i like HH community and the golf course. Ultimately, i chose HH because:

1) HH is slightly nearer to bukit indah where tesco. giant, jusco and other activities etc are located
2)HH is nearer to my work place which is down town JB
3)I want to play golf with Arsenal on every weekend, haha.

Bottom line, it really depends on your need and preference. For me is HH bcoz i dont travel to Sg often. Just my 2 cents.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Bro Investor,

Nice problem to have there. Why put all eggs in one basket, in EL? If in your shoes, I would go for HH for diversity.

One of the golden rules of investment. You're right bro Contra, how can I ignore that!

I will explain my rationale but it involves a little walk down the recent memory lane so pls bear with me...read on;

The differences in take up is down to the original marketing positioning by the Nusajaya honcos in UEM Land.

You will recall in the early days, Nusajaya Residences were defined as LH, EL, HH and NI.

LH was clearly high end land.
EL was high end residences.
HH (their JV* with Gamuda) was resort living.
NI was upper middle class G&G.

*JV was necessary because HH is a large tract of land.

EL Terraces were taken up fast because of its clear early positioning as high end, next to Medini and the closest to Singapore. No Coastal Highway then.

When people discovered HH, the concept of respecting the topography of the land, which was initially driven by golfing needs soon became a positive side benefit, even used in its marketing for the properties now.

HH benefited directly from the spillover from EL's success. Around 2010, HH started to catchup with EL's pricing and marketing position by launching Hills Terraces with designs similar to EL Terraces. HH has started to aim high end by having similar modern designs as EL. Golf's Semi-Ds & Bungalows launched around same time as Hills launch. EL announced no more Terraces launches, as they have no more land to expand. So when EL Bungalows and Semi-Ds launched, snapped up fast. EL sponged the first cream of top end foreign investors like yourself.

HH is benefitting from the next wave of investors (which I suspect are here already, at nibbling stage). The Coastal Highway has now neutralised the "distance to Singapore" benefit for EL, as HH is now only 5 minutes away from EL.

The marketing positioning story is given credence by one practice that still remains in HH , annoyingly so to me. HH still does not make show houses for its houses! EL on the other hand, put lots of effort into making lovely show houses of the highest quality. Whether the EL quality is translated in reality, there are some forums out there that reveals some honest experiences starting to come out from EL (where earlier HH had been taking the rap). But at the time of launch, EL benefited from its lovely showhouses, no doubt. Like it or not, we are influenced greatly by Marketing.

In fact they do have show-unit now(nearly slipped my mind). I enquired about The Hills about a month or so ago, the sales girl asked me to view their show-unit in The Golf and so I went to have a look.

I will give HH the benefit of doubt for stronger capital appreciation over the longer term because it has up its sleeves, the extra element of the Chinese school that has been attracting the rich locals; other than the bustling Bukit Indah & lively Jusco. Good luck bro! Any decision will still give appreciation. That's the beauty . I hope to have helped unlock the mystery of take up between the two Tamans. The hard decision still yours :smile:

Thank you so much for sharing all the above informations and your personal views Contra. Greatly appreciated!
Same appreciation to Icyraine and Nusajaya again :smile: Have a great Sunday everyone.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well written with good analysis..

Just visited the JPO.. Didn't buy anything...but I quite like the spread.. At Burberry, jeans are selling at 1000rm..and we can also find Levis jeans selling at 70rm.. So there are Armani as well as Nike..enough to appeal to people of all taste..

Drove to HH at 10pm to have a look at how the life will be if I stay there.. Not bad, but wish to see more people living inside.. It took me 15min to reach causeway.. Just in time to catch my arsenal game vs wigan..

Hi Bro Investor,

Nice problem to have there. Why put all eggs in one basket, in EL? If in your shoes, I would go for HH for diversity.

I will explain my rationale but it involves a little walk down the recent memory lane so pls bear with me...read on;

The differences in take up is down to the original marketing positioning by the Nusajaya honcos in UEM Land.

You will recall in the early days, Nusajaya Residences were defined as LH, EL, HH and NI.

EL Terraces were taken up fast because of its clear early positioning as high end, next to Medini and the closest to Singapore. No Coastal Highway then.

When people discovered HH, the concept of respecting the topography of the land, which was initially driven by golfing needs soon became a positive side benefit, even used in its marketing for the properties now.

HH benefited directly from the spillover from EL's success. Around 2010, HH started to catchup with EL's pricing and marketing position by launching Hills Terraces with designs similar to EL Terraces. HH has started to aim high end by having similar modern designs as EL. Golf's Semi-Ds & Bungalows launched around same time as Hills launch. EL announced no more Terraces launches, as they have no more land to expand. So when EL Bungalows and Semi-Ds launched, snapped up fast. EL sponged the first cream of top end foreign investors like yourself.

HH is benefitting from the next wave of investors (which I suspect are here already, at nibbling stage). The Coastal Highway has now neutralised the "distance to Singapore" benefit for EL, as HH is now only 5 minutes away from EL.

The marketing positioning story is given credence by one practice that still remains in HH , annoyingly so to me. HH still does not make show houses for its houses! EL on the other hand, put lots of effort into making lovely show houses of the highest quality. Whether the EL quality is translated in reality, there are some forums out there that reveals some honest experiences starting to come out from EL (where earlier HH had been taking the rap). But at the time of launch, EL benefited from its lovely showhouses, no doubt. Like it or not, we are influenced greatly by Marketing.

I will give HH the benefit of doubt for stronger capital appreciation over the longer term because it has up its sleeves, the extra element of the Chinese school that has been attracting the rich locals; other than the bustling Bukit Indah & lively Jusco. Good luck bro! Any decision will still give appreciation. That's the beauty . I hope to have helped unlock the mystery of take up between the two Tamans. The hard decision still yours :smile:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ha,
I choose HH with golf view because knowing someone will definitely take care of the maintenance and view for me.. For my future retirement living, I also don't need a house that is too big.. HH is also near amentities and since houses with golf theme or view are limited, I guess it will be easier to sell if I want to do it one day.. The furnishing in EL should be much better and modern but I think if I am willing to spend the difference between EL and HH, I can definitely renovate the house to be as beautiful and modern as I want.. Also I like more community living and prefer an estate with a mixture of terrace, cluster, banglow, semi-d as long as it is safe.. I guess buying house is also something personal.. Don't need to seek too many opinions.. Everyone has different taste and needs.. Also if I want to play golf, I can always knock on neighbour's door such as Icyraine to see if he is free.. The other development that I like is leisure farm.. Not so much amenity but definitely safe with lots of birds and animals.. I don't mind living in other developments but I guess If it is yours, it is yours.. Only you know..

As an investor, I see that doing 'some' market research in buyers' 'wants and needs' is important for my investments to have a better chance of success.
Developers do in-depth market research to determine how they want to position their products (eg. high-end or low-cost properties) in order to sell well.

Buying a house for own stay is something personal, everyone has different taste and needs. Thus - Don't need to seek too many opinions (This I agree)
Investing in a property is different. We cannot rely on our own personal taste and needs to judge. We need to find out what Most(Majority) buyers in the market prefer and we go with that majority.

Last edited:

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Wuqi, actually I have never been to those hawker food close to Jusco Bukit Indah before and I heard someone mentioning this place before. Actually where is the location? Is it within a walking distance from Jusco?
My wife is allergic to chicken meat. But she is ok with pork. In Jusco, it seems most restaurants there do not sell pork but only chicken or maybe beef.
Bro, any good place to recommend close to Jusco Bukit Indah, which has dishes with pork?

Bro if you turn left after TESCO going towards Skudai on Jalan Perling 2, before Bestmart which is on the lefthand side of the road......, on the RIGHT HAND side of the road you will see MONSTA cafe ( big sign which you can't miss), opposite Monsta cafe is a Bak Kut Teh shop on an unnamed road at the corner of Jalan Bestari 1/5. Family run and quite reasonable. In Malaysia, most restaurants, other than traditional Chinese restaurant that isn't HALAL, DO NOT serve pork.
If you Google Monsta Cafe it will show you that it's on the junction of Bestari 1/5 and an unnamed road. That Bak Kut Teh shop is on that Unnamed road directly opposite Monsta Cafe. Hope this helps.

Blue_S

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an investor, I see that doing 'some' market research in buyers' 'wants and needs' is important for my investments to have a better chance of success.
Developers do in-depth market research to determine how they want to position their products (eg. high-end or low-cost properties) in order to sell well.

Buying a house for own stay is something personal, everyone has different taste and needs. Thus - Don't need to seek too many opinions (This I agree)
Investing in a property is different. We cannot rely on our own personal taste and needs to judge. We need to find out what Most(Majority) buyers in the market prefer and we go with that majority.

Agreed with you.

In fact i like HH very much due to the nice landscaping and the golf course scene. It is a very nice place to live with.

However, my personal view, for investment i will go for EL. Reason being the 3 development of EL, HH and NI, UEM has planned and choosen EL as the most high end among the 3.

Puteri harbour

Alfrescian
Loyal
EL or HH.

As mentioned earlier by contra, HH is for resort living with golf view and EL landscape view.
So, if want golf view resort living, there is no other alternative.

But apart from resort view, EL is a better location. Although I believe in diversifying, but of the benefit of one location is much better than another, I think there is no need to diversify. EL and HH is quite near each other so no need to diversify.

Diversification is better if you buy one in JB one in KL and one in Penang.

I like EL, Puteri Harbour and LH because they will have better rental value at some point.

The reasons;-
1) where will the expats that work in legoland an theme parks, gleneagles, pinewood studio, the various universities going to rent?
From experiences, likely to be puteri harbour if they want hightower and great views.
For GCBs, it will be Ledang Heights. Mid management will rent in EL due to proximity to work place. All will prefer EL, LH and PH due to proximity to international schools. Easier for kids and wife.

2) proximity to tourist destinations. The advantage of nearer to tourist destinations mean that there will be free marketing and in turn attract many international investors in time to come.

3)safety, next to police station at MYDIN and near to Kota iskandar.

4) federal and state government always bring international guests to puteri harbour and EL whenever the guests visit Johor.

Hope that the above helps. In Singapore, It is always worth paying a premium for good locations even it is just divided by one street not to just 5-6km.

Cheers,
PH

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Grago, thank you very much for your recommendation of Bak Kut Teh shop and detailed info regarding its location. This is not close to the place where Bro Wuqi mentioned (the hawker food street in Bukit Indah town that I asked Bro Wuqi about), right? I have heard that the hawkers in that food street sell satay, Lok Lok meat and etc. But I cannot figure out what its location is and whether it is safe to eat there during the day or at night.

Bro if you turn left after TESCO going towards Skudai on Jalan Perling 2, before Bestmart which is on the lefthand side of the road......, on the RIGHT HAND side of the road you will see MONSTA cafe ( big sign which you can't miss), opposite Monsta cafe is a Bak Kut Teh shop on an unnamed road at the corner of Jalan Bestari 1/5. Family run and quite reasonable. In Malaysia, most restaurants, other than traditional Chinese restaurant that isn't HALAL, DO NOT serve pork.
If you Google Monsta Cafe it will show you that it's on the junction of Bestari 1/5 and an unnamed road. That Bak Kut Teh shop is on that Unnamed road directly opposite Monsta Cafe. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Contra, what is your opinion about the capital appreciation of the intermediate terraces (with no golf view) in the Hills precinct in HH? Those terraces were sold close to 800K in the previous launch and more than 800K in the current launch.

Hi Bro Investor,

Blue_S

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had paid a visit to JPO and glad to see the crowd. I like the place so much!

However, I was not able to tell were the things much cheaper than in Singapore (bcos i am not fancy of branded), until i saw the Biotherm facial products which i bought at SGD80 just a week ago, was selling at RM100 only..!

Puteri harbour

Alfrescian
Loyal
the disparity is so wide because Singaporeans are unique property investors. As long you have Singaporeans investors, you will see great disparity. It take time for most Singaporean to become more savvy. In hk, most people buy apartments off plan and they already know what are the locations that are good/prime even before it is launch. Good example is 99 year The Scala was launched at 1300psf last aug near Lor chuan MRT. Selling like hotcakes. But Goldenhill park condo freehold was transacted at $1200Psf at the same time. Nearer to MRT. What a disparity?
Another example 2 years ago Goldenhill Park condo was same price psf as city square residences at farrer park MRT. CS is near to town. Now CS is 300psf more expensive.

Successfully property investors to learn how to do trade off efficiently. What are some factors other than price.
1) existing Amenities
2) future developments
3) proximity to city centre (financial district or historical city)
4) educational institutions (very impt)
5) foreign interest
6) others

Due to singaporean need to purchase a property near their parents, they never really need to do any trade off. This make selling property in Singapore very easy by just making appealing showrooms.

But Singaporeans will learn to be more savvy as price escalate. It is a matter of time many of them will realize the disparity and flock to Johor. Less than one tenth land cost of 99 Leasehold sembawang land for a freehold land in LH is too difficult for me to ignore. If medini and and puteri develop half of what is marketed in 10-15 years. Land cost should escalate to 3 tenth that of Singapore's prices.

My views but investors still need to do their own due diligence. Biggest risk is political risk in Nusajaya.....

Cheers,
PH

Hi Investor,

If I may offer my 2 cents worth.

Very frankly I had the same problem of choosing between EL and HH earlier this year. I must say that both development has its own pros and cons in terms of accessibility, infrastructure, convenience, etc. I ended up invested into both areas! However , my first investment was at HH because of my love for golf view and its the biggest differentiation point from all other developments. Admittedly, EL's designs are more contemporary compare to HH.

I believe both area will draw their own crowd and it is a matter of personal preference/lifestlye. However, if you are looking for another property for investment, I would suggest you get some exposure into HH. Spread your eggs around. Depending on your budget, I would even recommend LH instead as investment. The disparity between land price and the selling price of Bungalows in EL is just too great! Personally, beyond comprehension!

Worth taking a look at LH with Puteri Harbour!

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have submitted my entire family to apply for passport.

wife had also gone for visa application to enter malaysia.

most likely next weekends will head in to view some units.

1 more thing i got to ask.

how to hire a live in maid in malaysia if all of us are on social visit pass.

is it possible or not?

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
EL or HH.As mentioned earlier by contra, HH is for resort living with golf view and EL landscape view. So, if want golf view resort living, there is no other alternative. But apart from resort view, EL is a better location. Although I believe in diversifying, but of the benefit of one location is much better than another, I think there is no need to diversify. EL and HH is quite near each other so no need to diversify. Diversification is better if you buy one in JB one in KL and one in Penang.I like EL, Puteri Harbour and LH because they will have better rental value at some point.The reasons;-1) where will the expats that work in legoland an theme parks, gleneagles, pinewood studio, the various universities going to rent? From experiences, likely to be puteri harbour if they want hightower and great views.For GCBs, it will be Ledang Heights. Mid management will rent in EL due to proximity to work place. All will prefer EL, LH and PH due to proximity to international schools. Easier for kids and wife.2) proximity to tourist destinations. The advantage of nearer to tourist destinations mean that there will be free marketing and in turn attract many international investors in time to come. 3)safety, next to police station at MYDIN and near to Kota iskandar.4) federal and state government always bring international guests to puteri harbour and EL whenever the guests visit Johor. Hope that the above helps. In Singapore, It is always worth paying a premium for good locations even it is just divided by one street not to just 5-6km. Cheers,PH
Bro, you've forgotten or overlooked the fact that HH is much closer to Bukit Indah which has a wider selection of amenities, shopping for groceries, a wider selection of choice of food and beverage outlets ranging from top end restaurants to street hawkers. Not forgetting that from HH being so centrally located, one can reach educational institutions e.g. Marlborough College within 5 mins via the Coastal Highway(CH), Newcastle Uni 10 mins via CH, Legoland via CH, Columbia Medical Hospital less than 5 mins. in an emergency, in fact it's just around the corner from HH, ISKANDAR admin area by CH and the list goes on. The fact is all these various places can be reached by the CH while HH is much closer to amenities. There is even a top notch restaurant with attentive service within HH if one doesn't feel like leaving HH for food not to mention shop lots in HH that have eating outlets. It has hosted various funtions both official and private. This is in addition to private security, with a resort living lifestyle and a top notch golf course. HH holds an attraction to the various categories of expats that you've mention and it's CENTRALLY located that it is accessible to all that you have listed by the Coastal Highway, some closer to HH making it more attractive to live in.I thought I would contribute a balance view to your analysis.

Icyraine

Alfrescian
Loyal
EL or HH.

But apart from resort view, EL is a better location. Although I believe in diversifying, but of the benefit of one location is much better than another, I think there is no need to diversify. EL and HH is quite near each other so no need to diversify.

Hi PH,

I think location is just of one the big factor in diversification, though EL and HH is quite near to each other, the nature of living and target market is pretty different ie. High end residence vs resort living. Not all people would like to live in a high end community, some prefer to meet people from different level of society. On the other hand, there are people who like to stay in a quiet and exclusive area with all the rich and famous.

For HH, there are people who want to get it just for weekend home so they could play golf during their off day, there are also visitors who do not invest in HH but just merely play golf in HH. So i do think EL and HH has its own strength and market and if i already bought 2 property in EL, i would diversify my third investment in HH, and vice versa.

EL or HH.

The reasons;-
1) where will the expats that work in legoland an theme parks, gleneagles, pinewood studio, the various universities going to rent?
From experiences, likely to be puteri harbour if they want hightower and great views.
For GCBs, it will be Ledang Heights. Mid management will rent in EL due to proximity to work place. All will prefer EL, LH and PH due to proximity to international schools. Easier for kids and wife.

As you had mentioned earlier, HH and EL are very near to each other now (with the coastal highway), for the people who work at legoland, studios, etc unless they intend to walk to their work place, staying at EL,HH, LH, PH or NI are not a big issue. Driving for 5 mins or 10 mins is the same to me, i still need to drive. Take me for example, I used to work at the General Hospital in JB and there are a few condos near the hospital, Sri Samudera is the one that is located just next to the hospital and i could walk to work, that's my first choice! Other condos eg. Indah Samudera, Strait View, Petrie Residence which are located near by but not walk-able (even though it is just 1 km away), are of no difference to me, then i start looking at their design, security and facilities. In case of Puteri Harbour, i do think that it will attract some of the workers near by, not so much due to the distance to work but rather their life stye and preference for high tower living.

EL or HH.
3) safety, next to police station at MYDIN and near to Kota iskandar.

A police station near by doesnt mean that a particular community is safer. Take my home in PJ as example, the police station HQ is just 750 m away and my wife's car was stolen 2 times while parking outside of my house. For security , i think the more important factor will be the community and management itself, whether they have frequent patrol, whether it is gated or strict in allowing the entry of strangers.

EL or HH.
2) proximity to tourist destinations. The advantage of nearer to tourist destinations mean that there will be free marketing and in turn attract many international investors in time to come.

4) federal and state government always bring international guests to puteri harbour and EL whenever the guests visit Johor

Agree on these two.

Cheers,
Icy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.