• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been toying with this idea of interest-offset package for sometime already. Was confounded by the fact that the banks are willing to offer such a good deal--"effectively" raising the interest rate of your savings of the borrowed amount (in FD let's say) to BLR-XX of let's say 4.1%. What was the catch given that FD interest rates are going at 3.3% p.a. averagely?

ater 30 years, the RM448K indeed does grow to RM1.3million

Then I realised one thing, interest offset is non-interest bearing. In other words, your principle does not ever grow. And given that the borrowed amount is reducing, putting your borrowed amount in FD might be a better deal over time for bros with spare cash. The power of compounding interest.

After 30 years, your principle of $448K would become $1.275mil in your FD account based on 3.55%. Your house with interest paid up over 30 years would be a total of $780K, and you will have access cash to spare. :smile:

Btw, RHB is having FD promotion of averaged 3.55% p.a. for 8months FD, till end September.

Hi HH_lover. thanks for the insight man...however your analysis is half right. You are right to say with compounding, RM448K does grow to RM1.3 million after 30 years, however, you also need to compound your instalments per month paid to the banks. i.e. saving up the monthly instalments in savings or FD account. if you do that you realise its more than just the RM800K we are talking here..in fact it is closer to 1.3 million even at just 2.5% p.a. so no real gains from FD route. Also FD result in the money being virtually "stuck"...a big no no for me. this is really no difference from paying off the developer. the interest offset route is practically immune to interest rate movement..whether BLR goes up or down..bo tai chee..this makes the linked current account a de-facto FD that is earning at the lending rate which is definitely much higher than FD rate..cheers bro.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi /0m0\,

welcome! I have always wanted to check out older tamans nearer to the custom/JB sentral as I have always believe the Pelangi area will always remain as the true downtown area so it will always be wang! It has all the fundamentals, being nearer to custom and town and I think the price is reasonable and some are undervalued. But it may get a little congested at times. Nusajaya to JB sentral is like Putrajaya to Kuala lumpur. Both are important cities.

It's also good to have someone who is more senior than us in this forum who is full of drive and energy to share with us your perspectives and views. Maybe you can share with us about the living environment in the Pelangi area. Do you meet Singaporeans who have moved there decades ago, and some who have recently moved there? :biggrin:

I believe he means Taman Pelangi Indah (about 15km away from causeway), which is different from the Taman Pelangi in JB town.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is a good news.. jobs creation for the local.. win win... If this continue, JB will become like Shenzhen.. not bad..

Hey guys, very good news! I have just checked online after my KL friend updated me on FB. Malaysia has just confirmed Foxconn investment project in Kulai!

Malaysia confirms Foxconn investment project

http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?Type=aECO&ID=201108100042

Kuala Lumpur, Aug. 10 (CNA) Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group has received a licence to invest in Kulai, in Malaysia's Johor State, Malaysia's Ministry of International Trade and Industry confirmed Wednesday.

A ministry official told CNA the Taiwanese electronics titan said the group will produce printer cartridges, employing 1,000 engineers and technicians. It did not disclose the number of general workers that will be required to operate the plant.

The official declined to reveal the amount of capital to be injected into the investment project.

Foxconn received approval May 18 from the Kulai City council to build an industrial park, and construction is currently underway.

According to Malaysian regulations, foreign investment projects with paid-in capital of more than 2.5 million Malaysian ringgit (US$831,532) or a work force of more than 75 full-time workers are required to obtain a licence from the ministry. (By Sun Tien-mei and Lilian Wu) ENDITEM/J

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was what i was discussing long long ago.... When i was clamped down....

I believe for a place to thrive the fundamentals must be super strong

....places of higher education and an abundance of these

...jobs up the value chain

... Higher wages and purchasing power amongst others

Below is a good start

That is a good news.. jobs creation for the local.. win win... If this continue, JB will become like Shenzhen.. not bad..

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe he means Taman Pelangi Indah (about 15km away from causeway), which is different from the Taman Pelangi in JB town.

Winners bro, I guess you are right. It is located near Setia Indah, so the "Indah" word is the cue word. My bad.

This is a very typical Malaysian way of naming developments. Like in KL, after the famous Damansara Heights, developers are naming new developments after this town. Damansara Utama, Kota Damansara, Bukit Damansara and Damansara Perdana just to name a few. They are all located miles apart in totally different areas and as what they say, home buyers get really confused sometimes.

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar gets RM95bil pledges

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/16/business/9211084&sec=business

More investments are expected to be announced in the next few months, says Irda CEO

JOHOR BARU: Iskandar Malaysia attracted about RM95bil in committed investments from January to June 2011, according to Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) chief executive officer Ismail Ibrahim.

This was more than double the cumulative RM47bil target for the five years up to 2010. From 2011 to 2015, Iskandar Malaysia is targeted to achieve RM73bil in investments.

“More good news (on investments) are coming to Iskandar but let Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak or Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman do the appropriate announcements,” Ismail added.

Iskandar will be focusing on potential investors from Asean, China, India, Japan and South Korea apart from Europe and the Middle East which were the main targets during its inception.

In line with the aspirations for a high-income economy, Iskandar would focus on acquiring quality investments.

Ismail expected more Singaporeans to invest in Iskandar as the small and medium enterprises were planning to relocate their operations due to the high cost of doing business in the republic.

Among the economic clusters under the comprehensive development plan are electrical and electronics, petrochemical and oleochemical, food and agro-processing, logistic and related services, tourism, health services, educational services, financial services, ICT and creative industries.

Ismail said Irda would conduct a study on the multiplier effect of major tourism-related projects such as the Johor Premium Outlet (JPO) and Legoland Theme Park.

The JPO, to open in November, is expected to receive four million visitors in its first year while one million visitors are expected to visit Legoland which will start operations by end-2012.

Irda has spent about RM339mil in the first half of the year from RM945mil in 2011 on infrastructure projects and related activities. The projects include the construction of the New Coastal Highway linking Johor Baru city centre to Nusajaya, river cleaning jobs, roads upgrading and public housing.

Ismail said RM214mil would be disbursed in the second half of 2011, bringing total spending to RM553mil.

He dismissed allegations that Irda did not have enough money to undertake infrastructure projects in Iskandar Malaysia.

“This has been going on even when Irda was helmed by the previous two CEOs. It will not stop but I know, my conscience is clear.” he said.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Iskandar gets RM95bil pledges

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/16/business/9211084&sec=business

More investments are expected to be announced in the next few months, says Irda CEO

JOHOR BARU: Iskandar Malaysia attracted about RM95bil in committed investments from January to June 2011, according to Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) chief executive officer Ismail Ibrahim.

This was more than double the cumulative RM47bil target for the five years up to 2010. From 2011 to 2015, Iskandar Malaysia is targeted to achieve RM73bil in investments.

“More good news (on investments) are coming to Iskandar but let Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak or Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman do the appropriate announcements,” Ismail added.

RM22.52 billion in just 3 months is a Crazy Bullish Surge in incoming investments to Iskandar! :smile:

But I think the first statement is wrong. The RM95 billion should be total cumulative investments from 2006 to June 2011, not Jan to June 2011.

Iskandar Malaysia had attracted cumulative investments totalling RM72.48 billion from 2006 to March 2011.
So they had attracted another RM22.52 billion in just a short period of 3 months from April to June this year :eek: And that was before the announcement of Temasek and Khazana's joint venture in Medini.

Iskandar's target for 2006 to 2010 = RM47 billion (average of RM9.40 billion per year)
Iskandar's target for 2011 to 2015 = RM73 billion (average of RM14.6 billion per year)

Last edited:

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the first statement is wrong. The RM95 billion should be total cumulative investments from 2006 to June 2011.
Iskandar Malaysia had attracted cumulative investments totalling RM72.48 billion from 2006 to March 2011.
So they had attracted another RM22.52 billion in just a short period of 3 months from April to June this year :eek: And that was before the announcement of Temasek and Khazana's joint venture in Medini.

Iskandar's target for 2006 to 2010 = RM47 billion (average of RM9.40 billion per year)
Iskandar's target for 2011 to 2015 = RM73 billion (average of RM14.6 billion per year)

RM22.52 billion in just 3 months is a Crazy Bullish Surge in incoming investments to Iskandar! :smile:

haha, i also think the figure is inaccurate, but even so, i think they must be right that more positive announcements will be made soon. :rolleyes:

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was what i was discussing long long ago.... I believe for a place to thrive the fundamentals must be super strong....places of higher education and an abundance of these...j ...

I was suitably impressed by the University of Newcastle's Medical Faculty at Nusajaya, both teachers and students. And many of the expats here are keenly awaiting Marlborough College's opening next year: in the UK it has a formidable reputation. I recall a taxi ride with a justifiably bitter driver whose daughter had done brilliantly in her A levels and so badly wanted to do medicine in Singapore but she was just not good enough and was offered some totally different course of study - such people if tenacious enough can hope to find a scholarship to pay considerably less at this university 45 minutes away. It would be S$ half a million in Australia.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haha, i also think the figure is inaccurate, but even so, i think they must be right that more positive announcements will be made soon. :rolleyes:

Hi bro I didn't mean that they made up figures, just that the writer stated the period wrongly.
If I'm not wrong, RM95 Bil should be total investments committed from 2006-2011 June.
Not 2011 Jan to Jun.

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro I didn't mean that they made up figures, just that the writer stated the period wrongly.
If I'm not wrong, RM95 Bil should be total investments committed from 2006-2011 June.
Not 2011 Jan to Jun.

haha, i get what you mean, I meant the figure is inaccurate in the sense that it is meant for a longer period, need to brush up my english haha! I agree it must be the mistake of the writer to state the wrong period.

Lazyjane59

Wow.. Another blog...but i like it..

It is indeed another blog but not as interesting and informative as this one!
Have been reading it for a couple of weeks after deciding with family to consider the move up north :-)

Have one question which I dunno if anyone ask/answer before (and the search function here not so good so please bear with me) but how are those of you who live in Johor and come in to Singapore to work every day managing to stay in johor from immigration perspective? Do you all have mm2h or does Malaysian immigration basically turn a blind eye?

Many thanks!

HH_lover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi HH_lover. thanks for the insight man...however your analysis is half right. You are right to say with compounding, RM448K does grow to RM1.3 million after 30 years, however, you also need to compound your instalments per month paid to the banks. i.e. saving up the monthly instalments in savings or FD account. if you do that you realise its more than just the RM800K we are talking here..in fact it is closer to 1.3 million even at just 2.5% p.a. so no real gains from FD route. Also FD result in the money being virtually "stuck"...a big no no for me. this is really no difference from paying off the developer. the interest offset route is practically immune to interest rate movement..whether BLR goes up or down..bo tai chee..this makes the linked current account a de-facto FD that is earning at the lending rate which is definitely much higher than FD rate..cheers bro.

@Yonglip: Thank you for your explanation. I think you might be right...but somehow i have not arrived at equilibrium with this yet. Thanks bro!

Btw, have you actually tried this out? Are they willing to loan you at 0% as you have described? Like that the bank confirm tan-bo-jiak! LOL

Good for us then!

HH_lover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some Updates on Puteri Habour

Launching soon.... Those who have reserved, you'll need to follow through with first 10% to confirm your unit.

I've updated with the sales brochure for PH together with indicative pricing. Have fun!

Btw, I'm not affiliated with any sales persons from any development. Just wanting to share with the wonderful community here, in the spirit that already exists here. Those who have read my blog know what I have purchased. Have fun!

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi YongLip,

I just heard if one is not a Malaysian, if he wants to bank transfer money from his Singapore bank to Malaysia bank, the max transfer per day is 10K..

It that true? Have you tried transferring money from Singaproe CIMB to Malaysia CIMB as non citizen?

Rgds

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi YongLip,

I just heard if one is not a Malaysian, if he wants to bank transfer money from his Singapore bank to Malaysia bank, the max transfer per day is 10K..

It that true? Have you tried transferring money from Singaproe CIMB to Malaysia CIMB as non citizen?

Rgds

hi bro..i dont know your 10K is RM or Sing.

There is a max daily limit of RM20K from Sing to M'sia. You can adjust this limit online also..bloody convenient.

You can however circumvent this limit by

1. trans first to own account from CIMB Sing to CIMB M'sia (MAX RM20k)
2. trans to 3rd party account (which is actually the same own account in CIMB M'sia). Also MAX RM20K

in other words, daily RM40K or around S$16K+ per day is possible. I just did it..How i know it works, cos you have visbility of your RM account in CIMB M'sia from your CIMB Singapore online banking page (by using CIMB Singapore Clicks)...instantaneous credit!....the beauty of modern technology..sweet!! do note that it will take about a week for CIMB Sing to process the link up. The online page has the details for the link up request and transfer.

The bank only earn on the exchange rate and nothing else...sweeter..

today's rate is 2.445...of course cannot compare to cash rate la...but super safe and super fast. hahaha. cheers bro.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi YongLip,

Rgds

hi bro..i dont know your 10K is RM or Sing.

There is a max daily limit of RM20K from Sing to M'sia. You can adjust this limit online also..bloody convenient.

You can however circumvent this limit by

1. trans first to own account from CIMB Sing to CIMB M'sia (MAX RM20k)
2. trans to 3rd party account (which is actually the same own account in CIMB M'sia). Also MAX RM20K

in other words, daily RM40K or around S$16K+ per day is possible. I just did it..How i know it works, cos you have visbility of your RM account in CIMB M'sia from your CIMB Singapore online banking page (by using CIMB Singapore Clicks)...instantaneous credit!....the beauty of modern technology..sweet!! do note that it will take about a week for CIMB Sing to process the link up. The online page has the details for the link up request and transfer.

The bank only earn on the exchange rate and nothing else...sweeter..

today's rate is 2.445...of course cannot compare to cash rate la...but super safe and super fast. hahaha. cheers bro.

by the way may i know how bros here actually do the periodic transfer to M'sia...is there a better, safer and cheaper way?..always eager to learn..cheers.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes....

I am sorry... I did not notice that it was PSLE time alredy...

Just about 5 weeks to go right?

The pressure must be eating up parents like crazy...

The interesting part is after the regimented study on war footing life is back to normal once the child is in Sec 1.

Surprisingly parents are not tense at the O's.... which should be equally important.

Any ideas why?

PS: i did read the previous one and replied.

BTW you have a wonderful hubby who does so much.... Compared to a couch potato like me who sits and surfs whole day

Hear, hear..... u didn't read my respond to your last request meh? Anyway ds having PSLE liao....berry berry bz...fighting! :P

Sorry for not having time to catchup on posting. Will proberly resume after all is over....

Status
Not open for further replies.