• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all! I haven't checked the site for a few days and already so many new postings! That shows how lively and active the community is which is really cool. I enjoy reading up on the various tips and insights (and try to offer some of my own whenever possible) and look forward to contributing (and asking) more especially when we're closer to getting our keys in 2012. However, I do notice some developments in the threads that dented my enjoyment of it slightly (and no offence meant):
1. The investment talk. I know it's died out in the last few posts but it's a bit off-putting to hear about flipping properties, comparing potential returns, and you or someone you know owning many houses etc. I believe this thread is about living in JB and making the house your home and I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible please.
2. Indications of disrespect or taking advantage of the Malaysian community/resources. Referring to Malaysia as mudland, talking about how you're wasting water and electiricity, showing off cars (this is more about other people showing off their cars) etc.
3. The (potential) forming of enclaves and bringing bad Singapore traits to our host country. I don't think this is done intentionally and I appreciate it when members talk about how they look forward to integrating with the locals, trying to fit in rather than enjoying their luxurious living in their own castles. I don't think any posters here are guilty of these negative behaviors so it's more a reminder for myself as well rather than anything accusatory.

In a more positive note, I'd like to suggest a FAQ of some kind be compiled and put up somewhere so that the more frequent questions can be addressed and referenced easier than having to go through all 160 pages or asking the same questions (and some extremely helpful poster - usually dear Wuqi - has to answer) over and over again. I'm not sure how the forum works, but if a FAQ PDF can be put up as a sticky or something it might be a great help for the newbies as well as those who are looking for something specific (which I suspect I will have to do sometime in the future). This FAQ can be updated by anyone at any time to provide the latest info. I'd suggest pinning some useful information on the Google map but somehow whenever I visit Google map of Nusajaya area it looks like it hasn't been updated for a few years! And as usual, I'll try to help out with the content as much as I can.

I also went to NI last weekend and noticed that almost all the units at Precint 8A has sold out which is encouraging as I recall the slow not-so-great take-up rate as recently as Feb 2011. They were also selling the units in the planned small shopping area beside Precint 8 already (and I found out that 2 out of the 4 planned 3-storey shophouses available for foreign ownership were already taken up). I also noticed the crowds at the SP Setia fair at Jusco and feel that the interest in owning JB property is growing significantly, which is a good thing.

Please don't get me wrong I really appreciate the thread and find it to be the most valuable on-going up-to-date source of information for people like me who wish to live in JB. I will continue to soak up the valuable information, offer some whenever I can, and hopefully form some good friendships with the posters here and in real life (we can always look into that customized ferry service for our school-going kids right?). Apologies for my semi-rant. Please carry on! :smile:
Hey neighbour, good to see you online again. I agree with what you're written here. It's good to know that the units at NI P8A are almost sold out; which means that the whole neighbourhood will come "alive" almost the same time. I'm going to NI to have a lok tomorrow... can't wait to see the progress.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
From what i understand whatever system they come up with Kempas will be very well connected as KL bound trains originate from Kempas and the RTS or VRT or whatever will still be connected to Kempas.

Kempas to become KTMB's southern hub
| New Straits Times, Jul 10, 2010 | by Ben Tan

WITH the impending relocation of the Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) railway station from Woodlands, Singapore, to Malaysia, the state government has allocated 80.9ha in Kempas for the purpose.

Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said the plan was based on the 1990 Points of Agreement between Malaysia and Singapore. Singapore would develop a high-speed mass rail transit (MRT) hub in Woodlands.

"We will have to move the KTMB train station in Woodlands to Kempas for that purpose," he said in reply to questions from Tan Cher Puk (BN-Johor Jaya), Jaafar Hashim (BN-Senggarang) and Lau Chin Hoon (BN-Pemanis).

Ghani said with KTMB's move to Kempas in place, both countries could focus on upgrading their transportation systems, culminating in Singapore's MRT system being connected with Iskandar Malaysia's vast rapid transit (VRT).

"Singapore's underground MRT system in Woodlands will be connected with our VRT system in Johor Baru."

I believed it's referring to MRT (Sg n Iskandar )

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks Prof:

Newer stuff about Kempas, as many has said earlier, it will be a very well connected.
http://www.starproperty.my/PropertyScene/PropertyNews/10868/0/0
http://www.umland.com.my/media/980.htm

PASIR GUDANG: An integrated transportation hub would be built in Bandar Seri Alam township here to serve residents in the Eastern Gate Development Zone.

Seri Alam Properties Sdn Bhd acting head of subsidiary Frankie Tan Kiat How said a 3.19ha site near to a private medical centre has been slated for the project.

“The hub will be developed within the next two years and it will improve connectivity from the Eastern Gate to other parts of Iskandar Malaysia,’’ he told StarMetro.

Tan said this after hosting an appreciation lunch for members of Johor Baru media and the company’s corporate clients at Amansari Residences and Resorts.

He added that the hub would encompass train commuter, feeder bus and taxi services with the commuter system to be inter linked with the rail network at the Kempas Sentral.

The latter is part of the KTM Kempas Baru station which would be developed into an integrated transportation hub for Iskandar Malaysia, similar to KL Sentral, but several times bigger.

Eastern Development Gate is one of the five flagship development zones in Iskandar Malaysia – others are the Johor Baru City Centre, Nusajaya, Western Development Gate and Kulai-Senai.

Areas that come under the Eastern Development Gate are Pasir Gudang, Pasir Gudang Port, Pasir Gudang industrial park, Tanjung Langsat Port and Tanjung Langsat industrial complex.

“There is a possibility of a link-up with the Singapore’s Mass Rapid Transit system with the transportation hub which will extend from Singapore to Pasir Gudang,’’ said Tan.

In a separate matter, Tan said the company had allocated 16.18ha site in the township for a proposed public hospital in Pasir Gudang to cater for the increasing numbers of residents in the Eastern Gate.

He hoped the government would give priority to the project as residents seeking medical treatments at public hospitals now have to go either to Hospital Sultan Ismail in Pandan or Hospital Sultanah Aminah in Johor Baru.

Although there is a private medical centre here, he said not everybody especially wage earners from the medium-low income brackets groups could afford the high medical charges.

“A full-fledged public hospital at least with 200 or 300 beds is a better choice to serve residents here rather than a small hospital,’’ said Tan.

Seri Alam Properties, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Malayan Land Bhd, and currently undertakes the development of 1,347.60ha Bandar Seri Alam township.

Development started since 1992, as of todate 60% of the area has been developed with about 10,000 residential and commercial properties and 50,000 residents.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 2c.

Everyone who has contributed to this thread thus far has made the thread rich and colourful. The thread is a treasure trove of information. No one and i cant see anyone trying to hijack this thread. It would look ridiculous if anyone tried to achieve that.

From what everyone of us know housing is one of the biggest investments most of us middle class people make. There could be quite a few rich brothers here for whom an rm 700k here or an rm 800k there means nothing.

But to most people who are reading this thread I strongly believe that Housing is one of the biggest investments anyone makes in their lifetime. This is true for any corner of the world. I would love to stand corrected here.

For simple people who do not have much knowledge and understanding of the economy i think it is wise that we share as much information as possible to benefit and help them. There are many people who have lost money in malaysia in the past for various reasons that include heeding wrong advice, unsrupulous salesmen, developers going bust etc

As humans we owe it to ourselves to help others. Therefore i would strongly like to share what i know about Iskandar with people who read this forum. Problems we face in Johor are real and this is the "Living Experience" eg potholes on the roads, everything takes time, supermarkets are far away, housewifes cant go out and buy something on their own if there is no second car at home, there is no mrt/lrt/bus service worth its name. When you live in a township you have to walk a long way out to catch the bus. And taxi is not an option for everyone. Not everyone is fortunate to have a second car or money to pay a taxi everytime.

And its to these people we owe it to ourselves to be fair to them. Just imagine they invest their hard earned money in Iskandar (im not just referring to NJ, im referring to the whole of Iskandar which includes Kempas and JB city as well) expecting a quick return or based on the bullish comments out here. (This need not imply that i am pessimistic) Just imagine these people sell their HDBs and relocate here not aware of the risks?

Living in JB: We spend more than than 1/3rd of our lives in our homes. There is nothing wrong in discussing about the home, the potential of its neighbourhood, potential for appreciation etc.

Its the single biggest investment one makes and this applies to the rich as well cause they can buy multi million dollar homes too. Nobody wants a home that depreciates in value. And i think when i raised the question of that lady who lost money i think it was a pertinent question, a very valid question. This lady was an average Singaporean with possibly secondary education and not much more. Its these people we need to provide information to.

The 270k was a lot to her. Cause 10 years back it was a decent sum. To top it she said her kids are least interested in venturing to JB let alone staying in JB.

A lot of people may read this thread and think "Wow life so good life so good". Yes life is very good with Buts..... So people need to come in with eyes open. And i think if this thread could help people in that respect that would be absolutely fantastic.

There maybe times when i contradict myself and i apologise for that. Im human...

No agendas, no below the belt, no unhealthy criticism. If you guys point out something not in order i will apologise. i dun become small if i apologise and that is the way we should carry on here.

Yes sometimes we get carried away and may type in things which we would not have said at other times. That is why as Wuqi mentioned web is not the best communicating tool. Things can be mis read and mis represented.

Thanks Grago, no point using vulgarities, threats or scold each other even if you find something strange, just point it out and especially if you see the topic veering off. Some do but not all just like some folks understand to stay on track at the beginning but then something else happens. :smile:

I go off track sometimes too (like some of the earlier forummers many pages ago pointed out back then), you just need to recognise that and just steer it back on.

Everyone is free to post here, i am just the threadstarter and will accuse no one of hijacking a thread but if you want to discuss/debate the economics and growth of a place, then maybe another thread may be more appropriate.

I know i am guilty of being bullish in Johore, its the risk taker streak in me but i try to bring it back to the living experience here rather than continuing to focus on the economy boom, possible growth etc.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I give you guys an example of how normal people can make mistakes.

I was given some brochures about very nice properties at Kulai. The properties looked really nice and it was a 3 storey house. The price was much much cheaper and ofcourse offered better fittings and designs.

I fell for the design. I showed it to my friends who told me that its quite far.

And when i actually checked out i realised that i would not wanna commute that far no matter how cheap or how big the house may be.

This does not mean Kulai is bad (just like Wuqi felt earlier that i was after NusaJaya). Its just that its not for me. Its not my cup of tea.

Ordinary mortals like me make mistakes and we need to learn from this thread and the learned bros out here.

JB_Dream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi & AP,

A newbie to this forum and been following this thread since March 2011. I long wanting to reside to JB but is put me off my the safety issue... Nevertheless I am still keen in owning a property JB Nusajaya to enjoy the laid-back + affordable lifestyle :smile:

Grateful if you can advise me on the following:-

aa) With a budget of $700K rm, is it possible to own a property in HH or EL? If not, what other projects in your view worth considering?
bb) What is the current loan interest rate in Malaysia? Or is it cheaper to obtain loan in Singapore?
cc) What the considerations / expectations need adjustment if living in JB and working in Singapore?
dd) Do the developers have offices in Singapore else any reliable agents to recommend?
ee) I understand (hearsay) that even in gated community also occured break-in. Is it truth or myth? As that's my wife top concern...

Many thanks and have a great weekend!

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey Wuqi its good to be straightforward just like what i have said (although i did not mention that i am straightforward too)

Unfortunately for me, i am too straightforward for my own good, if i have something to say, i tend to say it and not take potshots behind others, if i am wrong, i will apologise. Thats probably one of the reasons why i never went higher in life but then i am contented to be where i am.

QUOTE]

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi JB_Dream,

I am self-appointed Wuqi's assistant since there are too many queries for him to reply :smile:

1) MYR700k gets you a terrace in HH and EL. There might not be any developer sale at the moment but you can check the resale market at www.iproperty.com.my.
Generally the Nusajaya side is more feasible for daily commute to SG for work. The other options are Nusa Idaman, Nusa Duta and Bestari Heights. It is feasible to travel to SG daily without going through much local traffic in all these developments. Apart from terrace, cluster houses are a good option as well.
2) Loan rates is rather high in MY, it i generally BR-2.3% (ie 4%) with a lock in perio of 3 to 5 years, except Citibank which has no lock-in. It is normally better to get a Malaysian Loan to finance a Malaysian property, you never know how currency rates will move.
3) Daily travel is about 1 hour to anywhere in Singapore from these developments, of course if you work in Tuas the time is shorter. If you have kids you need a bit more planning... this you have to read yourself in this thread :smile:
4) Don't bother, just call the sales people in JB directly. You will not be cheated as long as you do your homework. The developers for the 5 properties listed are all listed companies, their sales might not be the most helpful but generally they do not cheat you.
5) It happened mostly in the early days when many occupants have not moved in and the whole development is rather deserted. Once it is fully occupied, it is quite safe as the residents mix are pretty decent. If you live in a terrace, you only have your front and back door to watch, unlike a bungalow where you have four walls to watch.

For a start, drop by the developments for a visit to have a feel of the surrounding.

iamapseudoneem

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB_Dream: Just to add to LeMans2011 answer to your queries, my suggestion is for you to go visit some of these developments and talk to the people there personally. Take some time and drive around with your wife to these few areas to really get a feel about what it's like just being there (that is if you haven't already). I managed to speak to some new owners from the neighbouring precints, check out a house or two while the renovation guy was walking around with the owners etc. to get a feel of the ground beyond the slick brochures and sales talk. I found out that I can do so much online research and get tons of information, but nothing beats experiencing it with your own eyes. Then come back here and ask some more questions!:smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks Lemans2011, please continue.

Hey Prof, its good to take things straight on as everyone has the intention of helping others in this thread.

Its great to talk about potential values, etc but this is about living in JB. Those who have houses here for own stay would not really be that concerned about the prices unless they are needy and have to sell. Its always good to see a place appreciate but its not the pre-requisite for them in the first place when coming out here. The primary aim was to help people who have trouble in Singapore and offer alternatives. Like housing agents will always ask you when you ask about a property, for "own stay" or "for investment"?

Did you manage to ask the lady her reasons for selling? I would think it is a bit shortsighted unless one is really unable to wait a little while more or desperate to move. I don't see a direct connection between speculating about economy here versus staying out here.

Its a place for them to save costs, enjoy the fresh air, etc and i am sure most won't be working here. There are many factors which may affect the value of their property but for those with just one for own stay, they won't be keen to unless the intention isto invest or to flip property. Its a different thing altogether in this case.

Just like how people commented that for those who need their only HDB for a place to stay, it doesn't matter how much it appreciates or may fetch if they cannot sell their only home.

If you saw the previous threads i posted earlier, there were comments on different properties and the pros and cons of each. We also talked about the feel, the neighbourhood etc but economics is harder to predict and should not be an indication of those who intend to retire, semi-retire here.

If they are keen to come out here to invest,talk about potential appreciation, etc again, this may not be the ideal thread for them. People have recently warned me about agents trying to use this thread for their own purposes. Please, again lets leave economics out of it. I will do my best to do the same.

We may be bullish but the comments are always tempered with "Buyers beware", "come in with your eyes open or come see/experience for yourself" If you went to Kulai or read some of the earlier comments about Kulai, you would know what the place is all about.

In no way can we guarantee anyone any returns even if they buy in EL or HH, this thread was started to promote alternatives and a different way of life for Singaporeans, not to talk about making money from investing in properties.

People already have expectations of what they are looking out for and if they find that the place will not make sense for the wife or kid without a car, they would likely not commit in the first place and like other bros here, find a condo or somewhere where it made more sense. Different factors influence people in buying decisions and although economics is good, it should not be the main factor why they are here.

Amenities or the lack of, potholes, etc as when people come out to JB, they are not coming for a Singapore experience, the potholes, different way of life is what people are coming out here for. Potholes may take their time to be filled but remember no single place/area is 100% clear of potholes.

Before my earlier comments, i have asked politely to go back on track, some of my comments were (and) are not directed at you but i should have made it more as a general statement. I understand you meant well and i appreciate you from day one for that.

Bros, pease, I really don't want to see this turn into another Singapore where the speculation on the prices of properties, etc made it unaffordable/sky high and drove people out in the first place. Definitely lets discuss/talk about what makes this place tick (or not) but i will recommend that we don't get fixated on things we cannot change or look at housing purely on the economics of it.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I found out that I can do so much online research and get tons of information, but nothing beats experiencing it with your own eyes. Then come back here and ask some more questions!:smile:[/QUOTE]

Yes, this part is especially true, coming to see for yourself is the best thing you can do.
What works for one may not necessarily work for another.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, when I made your thread a sticky, you had 14,000 views. You are now reaching quarter of million views and you are also famous giving interviews. On a more serious note, it shows how desparate Singaporeans are trying to seek breathing space and you have been showing them. Keep up the good work.

Also to Sam to make this forum possible.
I found out that I can do so much online research and get tons of information, but nothing beats experiencing it with your own eyes. Then come back here and ask some more questions!:smile:

.[/QUOTE]

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
JB_Dream, Lemans2011 has already answered it beautifully but here are my 1.5 cents to add on:

aa) With a budget of $700K rm, is it possible to own a property in HH or EL? If not, what other projects in your view worth considering?
Yes it still possible, there are learned bros here who can talk more about EL, for HH wise you can get a superlink terrace at $720k thereabouts. Thats the latest i have heard.

bb) What is the current loan interest rate in Malaysia? Or is it cheaper to obtain loan in Singapore?
Its more expensive here, if you have a house in Singapore thats almost or already paid up, you can take advantage of the refinancing & low interest rate in Singapore and use that to finance your house here in JB so that you end up paying less. Financing through SG banks will be hard though even though you can still go to their local branch for Johore for a local loan

cc) What the considerations / expectations need adjustment if living in JB and working in Singapore?
You may perharps need to wake up earlier and adjust your schedule a bit more and plan to drive more (unless you are near the CW3 SG-JB express bus coverage area), you will feel strange because the air smells better and you feel more freedom. You will also need to be slightly more vigilant and behaviour you won't exhibit in SG like being overly flashy, you should do the same over here.

dd) Do the developers have offices in Singapore else any reliable agents to recommend?
I agree with the other bros, Its best to come out and see for yourself, the main ones like UEM, Setia, Gamuda and IJM are all pretty reliable. I have friends or people i know living or going to move into properties done by them and most are really ok.

ee) I understand (hearsay) that even in gated community also occured break-in. Is it truth or myth? As that's my wife top concern...
This is true, even in gated communities as security is an ongoing practice and should be something that is continually monitored. Just like how email spam, no matter how good your infrastructure or filter is, you will on occasion still get in one or two. Don't let fear control you, make plans to prevent by installing grilles/CCTV or being more vigilant when going out. Your plans will help to control the fear, breakins also happen in Singapore and even in guarded areas as well.

If theft can occur in places where people are armed and wear green or fights in camps where kukris rule, there are no guarantees.
We just do our part to prevent crime.

Many thanks and have a great weekend![/QUOTE]
You too. :smile:

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro, when I made your thread a sticky, you had 14,000 views. You are now reaching quarter of million views and you are also famous giving interviews. On a more serious note, it shows how desparate Singaporeans are trying to seek breathing space and you have been showing them. Keep up the good work.

Also to Sam to make this forum possible.

[/QUOTE]

Many thanks to your help, Scroobal. Ok, thats quite a bit, wow. Thanks, Its not only about me as they interview others as well. Everyone is trying to help, one way or another but thank you for your encouragement as many times i was almost giving up. Even yesterday i tried to ask a good buddy of mine to come out here (known him for 34 years, makes him my best buddy i guess) but well to each his own.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
By the way, quite excited that they are opening up the taxis from SG to Johore and vice versa in July. This will really help people travel from both sides. The devil is in the details, I wonder what they would do for the taxi driver to facilitate multiple trips in a day though.

It would be very good news for people who are taxi drivers and want to drive in their family and friends in for sightseeing as well.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah it is very important to get behind the marketing brochures and the slick talk.

The brochures i saw on Kulai were fantastic and impressive. But when i checked out the place by doing more research i realised its not for me.

Similarly Kempas Utama had some great marketing going for it. I was attracted to the Smart Home concept they had. In fact they offered a lot more stuff than Setia offers in terms of value for $$. But a visit to Kempas Utama and i decided i dun wan a part of it.

to get a feel of the ground beyond the slick brochures and sales talk. I found out that I can do so much online research and get tons of information, but nothing beats experiencing it with your own eyes. Then come back here and ask some more questions!:smile:

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Setia Berhad has a sales office in Singapore.

1 HarbourFront Place # 01-06

Tel : 6271 2255

Just call them and sign up for their talks. They will bring you on a bus trip to JB to their Sales office and even to the actual site for a viewing.

From my experience so far they are not at all pushy.

Its an easy way for you to get to see JB.

But then as other brothers said you must visit as many developers/developments as possible.

From What i have known/seen Horizon Hills is pretty impressive too

Hi Wuqi & AP,

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems i was wrong about the lowest price of cars that one can purchase in Johore.

There are actually cars below 3000 RM even (but pretty old)
http://www.carlist.my/used-cars/344275/mitsubishi-lancer-.html
http://www.carlist.my/used-cars/location/Johor/

Actually I saw one even lower at RM23K, an old Proton Saga. I was getting my car washed at Giant (Bukit Indah), and there were several 2nd hand cars parked nearby with sales price tag on it. The salesman there was very friendly and started chatting with me. Was told that the top of the range Proton Perdana was no longer available, but it is the Ispara? now.

Back to car wash... I was persuaded to do the fogging for the car at RM25. The car had a nice smell after the treatment, and was told it will last for 1 week. But it actually only lasted about two days. I will not recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.