• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB advice

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB is still cheap compared to peesai. Just using the electricity for a fan in peesai can cost the same as using air con in JB. People who live in JB knows how it feel like to cross the causeway into JB. The feel of freedom. No need to count your electric meter, water meter, hawker food meter, queue up meter. In fact most supermarkets in the afternoons and even weekends are far less crowded than in peesai.

I agree that working a part time job in peesai is a good thing to keep the cash flowing in. Get a job in Woodlands if you dont mind working any type of job. Also living in JB to me is not a long term plan. You have to remember that we are still considered visitors and not PRs.

But as a visitor, I dont have to queue for everything I pay here. 10RM can fill your stomach till it explodes at a foodcourt. Vegetables and fruits far more cheaper here. In peesai you must be very rich to go on a healthy diet of fruits and veges.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Appreciate your value added advices. My 3 room I think can only fetch sgd 1.5k +- so it could be a potential disqualification for me :*: only got a bit of passive interest income like $250 per mth. My primary objective is not requiring to work lor. Yes getting around JB without a car can be a problem. I can go for kup kia but what about my parents. You stayed in JB for near 4 yrs, do you also worked there or just CBL with hobbies ?

I still work in Peesai. But at least I can come home to JB with a peace of mind knowing I am not rip off in everything from electricity,water,food,internet cable and many more stuff. My wife went for a dental operation in JB and it only cost SG300. The same operation in peesai is $1250 ( she was quoted at a dental clinic in woodlands).

But the best thing for you is that FTs that you hate working with, get to pay the high peesai price living in peesai. While you enjoy cheaper living. That is satisfaction on it's own.

Last edited:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, if u r still fit, find a part time or ad hoc basis job in Sinkieland. Extra mthly income act as a buffer when the need arises. Even if its only S$500 mthly pay. In ringgit term additional @ M$1200 mthly on top of ur passive income fm rental. Juz my tots....

The issue is I hate the idea to commute too n fro sg n jb daily.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to think like u... Get a small house or apartment in jb... Live off hdb rental for a simple basic life for the rest of my life.... The most ideal scenario... But I think in reality, it will not be so straightforward...

Basically hdb rental in Singapore is not so straight forward... It's not easy being a landlord.. Especially when u get chao kuan tenants...those who make until ur house messy, dirty and oily...making it undesirable to rent out to the next tenant.... Still need to spend money fixing the spoilt fixtures, paint the house or even a new sofa... So be ready to lose 1mth ++ of rental for all that...

You cannot go without a job.. Cos there will sure be cases where ur house has not rental for a couple of mths without rental income during the transition from ex tenants to new tenants... Somemore sometimes wanna choose tenants leh...

Beside, we cannot be banging that singapore's economy to always be good and FTs will always be there.... Who knows what will happen to singpore in 10years time... If ur source of rental income is gone, then U'll be trapped...

I tink bro whoami's suggestion is good... Work leisurely... Get a simple job that pays u $1000+, take it as a past time...don't need to compete of impress ur boss... Get those factory job that works 12hrs shift and 13days per mth, got company bus going in and out jb one... Best!

Got income will feel more 踏实。。

Good luck!

Thanks for the lengthy inputs. Your points are really valid that reality and plan could be very different.

You also hit my thoughts of working in a less stress environment e.g. as a factory operator, so that the thoughts of quitting can lessen. Everyday work with group of mei mei will be much more motivation :smile:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still work in Peesai. But at least I can come home to JB with a peace of mind knowing I am not rip off in everything from electricity,water,food,internet cable and many more stuff. My wife went for a dental operation in JB and it only cost SG300. The same operation in peesai is $1250 ( she was quoted at a dental clinic in woodlands).

But the best thing for you is that FTs that you hate working with, get to pay the high peesai price living in peesai. While you enjoy cheaper living. That is satisfaction on it's own.

Wow you are the rare type can commute to sg work daily !

jayzbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still work in Peesai. But at least I can come home to JB with a peace of mind knowing I am not rip off in everything from electricity,water,food,internet cable and many more stuff.....

Whilst it's true in general that a lot of things are cheaper in jb, I don't really thing that Internet is one of them. Consider unifi vip5 which is at rm149 per mth. This is fiber plan for 5mbps only. At this price in sg you can get 150 - 300 Mbps options.

dingdongrc

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Chupacabra, can you share your dental contact with me? I need to do root canal and crowning and Dentist in Sg quoting me $1400. Hoping to find a cheaper alternative. Thanks in advance

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Appreciate your value added advices. My 3 room I think can only fetch sgd 1.5k +- so it could be a potential disqualification for me :*: only got a bit of passive interest income like $250 per mth. My primary objective is not requiring to work lor. Yes getting around JB without a car can be a problem. I can go for kup kia but what about my parents.

The combination of a monthly rental income of S$1.5k + S$250 monthly interests is not going to be enough to live in JB, especially with your parents included. You'll also need to pay more to the IRAS for your HDB's property tax as well as no more rebates for your conservancy charges.

It is definitely not enough for you to cover your rental (in JB), expenses, transportation and daily necessities. Furthermore, you'll also need to pay additional for your parents, except for the rental since you'll all be staying in the same house/apartment.

If you intend to stop work, then I think you will definitely need to dip into your savings occasionally since I suppose a S$250 monthly interest is derived from a substantial amount from your bank deposits. If you are willing to sacrifice your principle when necessary, then it's okay.

You can roughly work out the budget for yourself. Sum up your current monthly expenses in Singapore (in SGD) and multiply that by 0.7 (70%). Then add another S$750 for the rental of a basic apartment in Johor. For your information, the S$750 rental is applicable only to houses/apartments in the older Tamans and may be further away from the CIQ. Forget about the vicinity of Bukit Indah and JB Sentral.

The above is just a guidance.

Last edited:

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
The combination of a monthly rental income of S$1.5k + S$250 monthly interests is not going to be enough to live in JB, especially with your parents included. You'll also need to pay more to the IRAS for your HDB's property tax as well as no more rebates for your conservancy charges.

It is definitely not enough for you to cover your rental (in JB), expenses, transportation and daily necessities. Furthermore, you'll also need to pay additional for your parents, except for the rental since you'll all be staying in the same house/apartment.

If you intend to stop work, then I think you will definitely need to dip into your savings occasionally since I suppose a S$250 monthly interest is derived from a substantial amount from your bank deposits. If you are willing to sacrifice your principle when necessary, then it's okay.

You can roughly work out the budget for yourself. Sum up your current monthly expenses in Singapore (in SGD) and multiply that by 0.7 (70%). Then add another S$750 for the rental of a basic apartment in Johor. For your information, the S$750 rental is applicable only to houses/apartments in the older Tamans and may be further away from the CIQ. Forget about the vicinity of Bukit Indah and JB Sentral.

The above is just a guidance.

Bukit indah and JB sentral will set you back RM2000 for a decent place thats big enough for you and family.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
take cab in JB quite cheap . take to customs and then take bus or cab in Singapore.

$50 is for those door to door service, can clear custom in comfort in the car. If take bus or cab go custom then take bus/MRT in Sg should be cheaper. But depend on health condition, some elderly may not be able to walk so much. Especially if medical appointment is in the morning, will be long journey and very rush with the peak hour crowd at custom/bus/MRT.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whilst it's true in general that a lot of things are cheaper in jb, I don't really thing that Internet is one of them. Consider unifi vip5 which is at rm149 per mth. This is fiber plan for 5mbps only. At this price in sg you can get 150 - 300 Mbps options.

you re right. network services and cable TV is expensive in Malaysia compared to SGP. Electronic goods are on par or slightly more expensive, overall. Market choices are also more limited. Parking in a lot of commercial buildings is also pretty ex.