• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surely not worth it JBho.

Y should Kids suffer coz of my choices?

Maybe I hv to reach JB customs by 5am coz so unpredictable already.

All this broken/shortened sleep for kids no good in the long run.

Exactly. Ditto send them to international school or the whole family move back to Singapore. Please don't send them to Singapore school while live in JB. It's not good for the little one.

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of driving to Singapore in the morning, how about taking the train from JB Central to Singapore? From woodlands take MRT and bus to work. Enrol kids in schools in Woodlands. Do you think this is workable?

No. Send them to international school or don't move to JB at all. Unless u got a Raffles Marina club membership with a private speed boat.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waking up anytime after 4am is a big NO-NO if u wanna be sure of 100% on time when you got kids studying in SG schools. Before I move back to Singapore, I was waking up 330am and out of the house 430am. Normal days its best to reach 6am as they need to start school 715am. The time from 6am-715am is always my buffer so that if the custom suddenly got massive jams coming into Singapore ( which is much more regular than MRT breakdowns ), you got extra time to play with. When I see my kids sleeping like piggies and waking up 4am daily, my heart grew soft even when they seem to be enjoying life during weekends.

Friend, weekday is only 2 days of a week. The actually work or study days is 5 out of 7. You decide. Now Friday late noon I leave spore to enjoy life though and is still enjoying. Saves on tolls and petrol daily which amount to about RM 1000+ a month.

you forgot to factor in the fact that for many people, living in JB means being able to rent out their singapore HDB that adds about 2K passive a month.

but I agree with you, it's insane to wake up at 330AM everyday. Life is short. No need to torture oneself like that.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
you forgot to factor in the fact that for many people, living in JB means being able to rent out their singapore HDB that adds about 2K passive a month.

but I agree with you, it's insane to wake up at 330AM everyday. Life is short. No need to torture oneself like that.

The people in JB can endure this kind of travelling/lifestyle because of economic needs and their home/family is in Malaysia.
For Singaporean, it kind of hard to adapt and accept the logic behind it.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of driving to Singapore in the morning, how about taking the train from JB Central to Singapore? From woodlands take MRT and bus to work. Enrol kids in schools in Woodlands. Do you think this is workable?

JB'ians are sending their kids to singapore to study, you want to do the opposite?

unless international school, then you'd be blowing all your savings on school fees .

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your crystal ball with this source to back it up. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26412821
Can blame people to move away.

that is actually good news. it means capital is flowing in here. it means the population here is earning good money.

the bulk of the rating is for housing and cars.

if you've already bought your home years ago, and can give up the car, it's not expensive.

eating out here is sooo much cheaper than in NYC or London. I can still get 2.50SGD chicken rice.

Public transport here is close to fantastic, even if one factor in the occasional breakdown.

school fees are considered low. the education system is good. going to polyclinic is reasonable and the quality of health care is good.

the bulk of utilities is due to aircon. cut down on that and watch the PUB bill drop.

macbookair

Alfrescian
Loyal
the jam at tuas is getting bad...

usually if i reach sg chkpt before 555am ( monday say 10 mins earlier) , it will be a breeze to go thru ....i can go to amk then reach bedok by 705am latest.

last fri , many cars jammed at jb side.

mon - left early, also more cars

tues - reached sg side 555am , still long queue...cos the boot chking queue was blocking the way..

wed (today) - reached sg side 545am jammed . cleared after 615am....the "queue" became 4 or 5 lines merging into one.....?!?

are those using the wdl chkpt changing their route now?

few sg counters are open compared to last week and beyond?

Checking of boot became slower because must make sure ,confirm , guarantee no repeat telecast of the "incident"?

Anyone?

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. Ditto send them to international school or the whole family move back to Singapore. Please don't send them to Singapore school while live in JB. It's not good for the little one.

There is hostel in woodlands st 13 for rent with furnitures, 4 room flats. Maybe few of you here can share a unit for kids' sake!! And unless their school is in woodlands also! Many moving in as traffic worsen between the causeway.

Last edited:

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
the jam at tuas is getting bad...

usually if i reach sg chkpt before 555am ( monday say 10 mins earlier) , it will be a breeze to go thru ....i can go to amk then reach bedok by 705am latest.

last fri , many cars jammed at jb side.

mon - left early, also more cars

tues - reached sg side 555am , still long queue...cos the boot chking queue was blocking the way..

wed (today) - reached sg side 545am jammed . cleared after 615am....the "queue" became 4 or 5 lines merging into one.....?!?

are those using the wdl chkpt changing their route now?

few sg counters are open compared to last week and beyond?

Checking of boot became slower because must make sure ,confirm , guarantee no repeat telecast of the "incident"?

Anyone?

Monday is the killer. Left at 07:30hrs reach the CBD at 09:45hrs.

Yesterday left the same time reach CBD at 09.00hrs

Today Singapore side fxxx up big time. Reach CBD at 09:20hrs

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Either spore side c*ck up or Malaysia side c*ck up or both.

Without strong political will to make the crossing seamless and smooth, we can just dream.

Monday is the killer. Left at 07:30hrs reach the CBD at 09:45hrs.

Yesterday left the same time reach CBD at 09.00hrs

Today Singapore side fxxx up big time. Reach CBD at 09:20hrs

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I'm seriously using it for holidays, weekends and leisure.

I can't do this 4am MADNESS

If I go JB to stay, it will be for retirement or holiday. So daily hassle at the links is not an issue.

Seriously those with kids studying in Singapore need back up plan now. The jams will reach critical state this year.

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spore transport system is neither world class nor fantastic.

for the amount of money charged id expect a lot more.

there are countries offering no frills public transport at a fraction of the Spore charges n more reliable.

But they are no frills.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spore transport system is neither world class nor fantastic.

for the amount of money charged id expect a lot more.

there are countries offering no frills public transport at a fraction of the Spore charges n more reliable.

But they are no frills.

clean, air con bus - $1.43 from upper bukit timah to great world city is a lot of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.