• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am going to apply for MACS this week. Anyone can advise how to do that at CIQ? Go where, bring what, how much, what to say and what not to say.:p

Bring your passport & RM 30 to 1st link. You will see the MACS office, after you pass through the MY passport counter (extreme left hand lane), and just before the MY customs' car clearance checks.

Just park your car near the MY customs car clearance lanes, and walk inside into the MACS office. You should be able to see a no. of SG cars parked by the side too, whose owners are probably doing MACS too.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
that's why i'm using singapore method , i would think that MY also use rental value to gauge annual value for the cukai taksiran. Even if a house is 1M, but the AV should n't be 1M. Anyone received their latest tax advice in malaysia yet??

Not yet, based on last year should be receiving in December and June, twice a year payment...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bring your passport & RM 30 to 1st link. You will see the MACS office, after you pass through the MY passport counter (extreme left hand lane), and just before the MY customs' car clearance checks.

Just park your car near the MY customs car clearance lanes, and walk inside into the MACS office. You should be able to see a no. of SG cars parked by the side too, whose owners are probably doing MACS too.

Thanks! I thought there was a requirement for passport photos? Maybe I am mistaken.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right, the assessment is based on the state valuation of the property.
Right now, all the states are busily revaluing all properties against the current market prices because the last valuation was some 20 years ago.
Many people I know had received their new tax assessment letter with the new tax payable and I must say it is indeed close to market price.
So if yours is a $1m home, the new state valuation will be quite near there too, so just hope that they don't overvalue it.
I just received mine. The valuation is still slightly below my purchase price mid of last year. It is a jump of around 3-4 x the previous tax I paid. Now it is $900RM. Not too bad.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just received mine. The valuation is still slightly below my purchase price mid of last year. It is a jump of around 3-4 x the previous tax I paid. Now it is $900RM. Not too bad.

Which means that the valuation of your house is about rm450K?
But how come you bought it only middle of last year but had paid a 3-4 time lower "previous tax" on the house??

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which means that the valuation of your house is about rm450K?
But how come you bought it only middle of last year but had paid a 3-4 time lower "previous tax" on the house??

Valuation is about $686k RM, but I bought at $700k RM. Previous tax was quite nonsensically low. This one is more realistic and I will be comfortable with it IF the infrastructure and security improve.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the Johor's weekend shifting to Fri-Sat from 1 Jan 2014 on wards, I wonder what the new commuting situation be like to on Fridays, to and forth btw Singapore and Johor Baru.

leongyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Valuation is about $686k RM, but I bought at $700k RM. Previous tax was quite nonsensically low. This one is more realistic and I will be comfortable with it IF the infrastructure and security improve.

Seems like Msia uses a different methodology to determine the tax.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Valuation is about $686k RM, but I bought at $700k RM. Previous tax was quite nonsensically low. This one is more realistic and I will be comfortable with it IF the infrastructure and security improve.[/QUOTE

Bought last year at 700K and valued now at 686K is quite on the high side and extremely close to market price, wonder how old is your unit.
But if its based on the rate of 0.14% , it should be rm960 and not Rm900.
But I saw some assessment notices for residential units showing a rate 0.2% which is meant for commercial units, wonder if that was a mistake.

jerrycoaching

Alfrescian
Loyal
A friend brought a Bumi lot (condo) 2 years ago. The agent kept delaying the process. I checked with a few other agents, they said if bumi lot no bumi buy within a certain period, they would convert it into international lot. So, I told my friend to go and push the agent abit.

Yesterday, the agent told him - New ruling, have to pay 7.5% of the purchase price if buying bumi lot.The purchase price was 600,000rm. So now they have to top up additional 45,000rm! :*:

So advice here like what bro wuqi has mentioned before.. Avoid bumi lots at all cost.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
if this is true then I think my fren is gonna be very pissed! he bought (supposedly) a bumi unit in Tropez before the Iskandar hype and SG cooling measures. He was soooo happy. But his cheque still not cashed and no SPA offered. now I think he sibei suay if what you are saying is true. he kept saying my unit in PH is expensive but a good buy. and I returned the favour by saying that he should be sitting on nice paper gains. now it looks like the paper gains are much lesser.

A friend brought a Bumi lot (condo) 2 years ago. The agent kept delaying the process. I checked with a few other agents, they said if bumi lot no bumi buy within a certain period, they would convert it into international lot. So, I told my friend to go and push the agent abit.

Yesterday, the agent told him - New ruling, have to pay 7.5% of the purchase price if buying bumi lot.The purchase price was 600,000rm. So now they have to top up additional 45,000rm! :*:

So advice here like what bro wuqi has mentioned before.. Avoid bumi lots at all cost.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

it's supposed to be based on rental, so this is all a bit weird to me. even i read in the online star website some property guy was saying the tax is based on rental valuation. now i blur.
btw i'm assuming this is the 'cukai taksiran' or assessment tax. there is another one which is 'cukai tanah' ("land" tax - i think this is quit rent). you have to pay two taxes on your prop. Has the cukai tanah gone up as well?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

i think snowbird question is how come you already paying tax on a house that you haven't gotten the keys to yet? i'm guessing, its your OTHER house in the west?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the Johor's weekend shifting to Fri-Sat from 1 Jan 2014 on wards, I wonder what the new commuting situation be like to on Fridays, to and forth btw Singapore and Johor Baru.

traffic will be better spread out over the week within jb town itself. fridays will be quite free of traffic, but sundays might so more cars on the road. most private and businesses will still maintain sat/sun weekend.
casueway will be no diff.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

yup. that is the new ruling announced in the budget. actually the extra 7.5% is supposed to be paid by the developer when seeking bumi release. so the cost is passed down. what your friend can do is tell the developer to FO, they pay the 7.5% or no deal.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's supposed to be based on rental, so this is all a bit weird to me. even i read in the online star website some property guy was saying the tax is based on rental valuation. now i blur.
btw i'm assuming this is the 'cukai taksiran' or assessment tax. there is another one which is 'cukai tanah' ("land" tax - i think this is quit rent). you have to pay two taxes on your prop. Has the cukai tanah gone up as well?

Based in KL, cukai taksiran is assessment tax (council tax) which take care of rubbish disposal, street lights, road paving, etc. This is based on 6% of the rental valuation of a property per annum. It has something to do with the resale value of the property but not directly, of course the higher the value your property is, the higher the rental it command. Actually there's no increase in the rate of assessment. It is the re-assessment of the rental income which has risen over the years. The main reason for all this increase and re assessment is that cost of maintenance had gone up and so is the budget deficit looming. Also there's great disparity of old and new properties, but all are paying for the same road and street lights.

Cukai tanah remained fixed, at least there's no mention at all on this. There's nothing to maintain. That's why cukai tanah tax is very low.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup. that is the new ruling announced in the budget. actually the extra 7.5% is supposed to be paid by the developer when seeking bumi release. so the cost is passed down. what your friend can do is tell the developer to FO, they pay the 7.5% or no deal.

Berapa kali had been telling people "STAY AWAY" from these bumi lots irregardless what these agents tell you. They will promise you the moon and the stars to sell the units. Then they tell you, it is not their fault, it is the Government who imposed the release tax. Actually the developers had already factored in the bumi discount into the non bumi prices. The non bumi prices already had this 7.5% extra over the costing which eventually became the non bumi selling price.

It is just not worth the trouble and sleepless nights and more so missed opportunities to buy another property as yo had lock yourself in these Bumi lots.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is what I found on the Internet, with the all mighty google tool. http://www.nusajaya.my/index.php?id=52530276037

All property owners in Johor have to pay two types of taxes:
- Cukai Harta (Property Tax), paid once every year to the state of Johor;
- Cukai Taksiran (Quit rent / Assessment tax / Cukai Tanah), paid in advance 6 monthly to the local authority;

The Quit rent (Cukai Taksiran) is based on the (theoretical) rental value of a property. The local authority has a list of rental values which it updates at least every 5 years and the tax is 6% of this value (at least in KL, we failed to find out the Johor Bahru rate, but we assume it is the same).

Property Tax (Cukai Harta) on the other hand is being levied as a percentage of the property value (in Johor 0.14% for residential houses). The property value is being determined by a special department within the administration - and the last valuation of properties had been done in the 80s according to the Mentri Besar. This means currently the basis of the property tax are house values from 30 years ago. Needless to say that house prices have since risen.

Status
Not open for further replies.