• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lesser after 10 am mostly. The jams have been increasingly bad as of late.

PSLE and prelim exams r over. Parents are more free to bring kids over. In addition, more people r staying in Johor n going there to cut down on expenditure in Singapore.

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes that's what iv been saying all along.

The jams are crazy, frustrating and annoying.

Worse they are even un predictable.

Glad more n more ppl are recognising that.

The last two weeks were relatively peaceful given that examinations were underway.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why I think Johor will boom: Singaporeans have to endure high population density without a space to breathe, unlike Hong Kong that still has big parks and hills for relaxation. Even our reservoir catchment area will be partially used by MRT track in future.

Land-hungry Hong Kong looks for options to house its people
PUBLISHED OCTOBER 11, 2013

HONG KONG] Wild boar and water buffalo are not an image most people associate with one of the world's great global financial centres. Yet in Hong Kong, where more than seven million people are packed into just 30 per cent of the territory, the green belts, country parks, woodlands and wetlands that take up the rest of the land provide ample space for such animals to roam.

That could be about to change. As officials scour the territory for new places to build, the prospect of going underground, creating man-made islands or developing the city's cherished parks are all among the options being discussed. One idea is to build a cross-harbour pedestrian corridor - with shops and entertainment facilities along the way - underneath the city's kilometre-wide Victoria Harbour.

Encroaching onto the green spaces has strong support from Hong Kong's powerful property tycoons, who are feeling the heat from a series of tightening measures aimed at reining in prices that have jumped 120 per cent since 2008.

But some business executives say the rural habitats that make up the bulk of the former British colony's roughly 1,100 sq km help give the city an edge over rival global finance centres in the eyes of many expatriates. Last year, roughly 13 million people visited Hong Kong's country parks, home to Burmese pythons, Chinese pangolins, civet cats, badgers and muntjac deer.

But the space devoted to wildlife creates a dilemma for authorities trying to find homes for the 230,000 people on a waiting list for public housing in one of the world's most expensive property markets. Officials estimate an additional 470,000 flats will be needed in the next decade.

"Why are boar allowed to wander around while humans are forced to live in cubicle apartments and cage homes?" Gordon Wu, chairman of developer Hopewell Holdings Ltd and vice president of the Real East Developers'Association, told local television last month, referring to the stacked wire mesh hutches where some of the city's poorest people live. "You say country park is the pride of Hong Kong, but I think it is stupid."

The government forecasts it will need to build one new town that would house roughly 600,000 people per decade over the next 30 years due to the continuous inflow of people to the city, both from mainland China and elsewhere.

Sea reclamation is another option. Hong Kong's 6,800 hectares of reclaimed land - about 6 per cent of its territory - already houses 1.9 million people. Six areas for future reclamation have been proposed by the Development Bureau to potentially create up to a further 3,100 hectares of land. Another plan on the drawing board is man-made islands close to the city's financial district, where the Development Bureau aims to create up to 2,400 hectares of "extension of urban area"to accommodate large-scale community and industrial facilities.

Authorities also have another idea in mind: move the city underground. Hong Kong is conducting its first territory-wide study into the feasibility of creating an extensive underground city, with retail outlets, pedestrian links, a sports field and even a columbarium. "The government is looking into all options that can create space," said Samuel Ng, chief geotechnical engineer at the Civil Engineering and Development Department. The department said it would identify 15 urban areas for underground development by the end of 2015, with each site covering a surface area of at least 40 hectares - roughly twice the size of Victoria Park, the largest park on Hong Kong Island. - Reuters

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/spe...-kong-looks-options-house-its-people-20131011

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good to see an awareness on environmrntal issues taking root... article from NST:

BALANCED GOAL: Twenty-one initiatives aimed at promoting sustainable development in Pasir Gudang are discussed at two-day seminar

JOHOR BARU: RESIDENTS here will enjoy a balanced and healthy lifestyle even while* living in an industrial area, thanks to the Johor* government's green initiative called "Nafas Baru Pasir Gudang".

State Housing and Local Government Committee chairman Datuk Abdul Latif Bandi said the programme will be launched by year-end.

The idea for the programme was inspired by Kitakyushu, a city in Japan which embraces environmental conservation.

The city of Kitakyushu suffered severe pollution in the 1960s but that has become a thing of the past due to its effective management and green efforts.

"Pasir Gudang is an industrial area and the state government is confident that with this programme, it will become a green municipality.

"The green initiatives will ensure that the municipality and its environment are not exposed to pollution," Latif said at the launch of the two-day Green Industry Seminar 2013 here recently.

Latif said that the Pasir Gudang Municipal Council (PGMC) was working closely with the Iskandar Regional Development Authority on the initiative.

Meanwhile, PGMC president Onn Jabbar said that 21 initiatives were discussed at the seminar aimed at promoting sustainable development.

"We are focussing on the development of Pasir Gudang but the safety and comfort of the residents must not be compromised," Onn said.

"We hope that all the industries here will adopt the green initiatives so that we can have a booming industrial hub and sustainable development," he added.

Also present were PGMC chief whip Abdul Rahman Mohamed and the Malaysian Institute of Architects southern region chairman Mohammed Zawawi Zainuddin.

Read more:*Green plan for Pasir Gudang - Johor - New Straits Times*http://www.nst.com.my/streets/johor/green-plan-for-pasir-gudang-1.378495#ixzz2i8Y525J9

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back to riding bike, do you think this bike below will offer customs clearance advantage (i.e. faster clearance both ways) since I understand it cannot use bike lane at checkpoint as it is just too wide?

20130815_173623_1024x768-380x253.jpg

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If anyone want a clean and green living; stay far far away from industrial area.

This is a smoke screen......

Good to see an awareness on environmrntal issues taking root... article from NST:

BALANCED GOAL: Twenty-one initiatives aimed at promoting sustainable development in Pasir Gudang are discussed at two-day seminar

JOHOR BARU: RESIDENTS here will enjoy a balanced and healthy lifestyle even while* living in an industrial area, thanks to the Johor* government's green initiative called "Nafas Baru Pasir Gudang".

State Housing and Local Government Committee chairman Datuk Abdul Latif Bandi said the programme will be launched by year-end.

The idea for the programme was inspired by Kitakyushu, a city in Japan which embraces environmental conservation.

The city of Kitakyushu suffered severe pollution in the 1960s but that has become a thing of the past due to its effective management and green efforts.

"Pasir Gudang is an industrial area and the state government is confident that with this programme, it will become a green municipality.

"The green initiatives will ensure that the municipality and its environment are not exposed to pollution," Latif said at the launch of the two-day Green Industry Seminar 2013 here recently.

Latif said that the Pasir Gudang Municipal Council (PGMC) was working closely with the Iskandar Regional Development Authority on the initiative.

Meanwhile, PGMC president Onn Jabbar said that 21 initiatives were discussed at the seminar aimed at promoting sustainable development.

"We are focussing on the development of Pasir Gudang but the safety and comfort of the residents must not be compromised," Onn said.

"We hope that all the industries here will adopt the green initiatives so that we can have a booming industrial hub and sustainable development," he added.

Also present were PGMC chief whip Abdul Rahman Mohamed and the Malaysian Institute of Architects southern region chairman Mohammed Zawawi Zainuddin.

Read more:*Green plan for Pasir Gudang - Johor - New Straits Times*http://www.nst.com.my/streets/johor/green-plan-for-pasir-gudang-1.378495#ixzz2i8Y525J9

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know. But those who bought the small apartment (shoe box unit) definitely screwed big time. Who will buy that kind of unit for a million ringgit ?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you refer to those who have brought Danga Bay....

The pioneer batch of investor back in 2006 has definitely made some money.

But those TOP 2016/2017 will be sweating blood. They (Speculators) have to hold on to 5 yrs before they can sell. In the mean time, they have to rent out their property. But seeing how that region is, quite bleak. If they can ever rent out their apartment , then good....if not..........................

But for those who are staying there ( foreigners), it won't be bad. In fact, govt has reign in the pricing and it will benefit the local Malaysian.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
A lot more news today after the budget was released. Some of my friends were concerned and called me.
I updated them that Parliament has yet to pass the bills plus it still needs to go through to the state level
and also approval from royalty before implementation.

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,
Was looking forward to hearing from you to 'calm' us.
Oh so there are 2 more stages to go through beforeit can really jalan. Heng ah! Not cast in stone yet! That means still got some hope!
I really really hope they won't be so harsh with the condo buyers. Condo and landed price can never be levelled up, well, that's my thinking lah.
They can built so much more condos than landed, so landed can only cost more, but not condos.
Pls update us as soon as you have new updates! TQ very much!

A lot more news today after the budget was released. Some of my friends were concerned and called me.
I updated them that Parliament has yet to pass the bills plus it still needs to go through to the state level

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,
Was looking forward to hearing from you to 'calm' us.
Oh so there are 2 more stages to go through beforeit can really jalan. Heng ah! Not cast in stone yet! That means still got some hope!
I really really hope they won't be so harsh with the condo buyers. Condo and landed price can never be levelled up, well, that's my thinking lah.
They can built so much more condos than landed, so landed can only cost more, but not condos.
Pls update us as soon as you have new updates! TQ very much!

From Wuqi's signature: 靠山山倒 靠人人跑 靠己就好 自己不倒 :biggrin:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

I feel it's more or less a done deal leh. Only issue is the timing of implementation. We should know whether it's gd or bad in 1 years time, when developers launch their new projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.