• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why i prefer condo. Landed houses - they will put rubbish near to yr gate. They will park car infront yr gate. That is what I dun like. Got 1 time I saw worms under the neighbour rubbish bin which was placed near to my gate.

Best is to stay in a bungalow. No one next to you, more space!

Quarrel with them will makes staying there an agony...

I agree that if u must live in landed property, try to live in a bungalow. I've lived in Penang and malacca over many years, both in bungalows, and never encountered problems of encroaching neighbours simply bcoz of the space. At worse, it is barking dogs. My aunt and bro who live in terrace and semi-d are often complaining to me about the uncivic-consciousness of neighbours: eg. Dumping waste along common spaces (ie. dumping anywhere except outside their own home), parking obstructions, keeping their homes/compounds in shambles that create a poor image and therefore possibly devaluing the homes in the neighbourhood.

When I retire in my M'sian home, the last thing I would want is to be quarreling with neighbours.

Walker

Alfrescian
Loyal
9:30 is also showing Aresenal vs Chelsea.. Someone do provide the report on the CNA's show.. ""it might be something we already now that got us not doing anything..

Usually you can watch the show online a few days after the Broadcast. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/tvshows/

Just watched a show there. Missing in Malaysia.
Scary show about missing children in Malaysia.
Says that 5 children go missing every day in Malaysia!
We should never take for granted the safety of our children.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that if u must live in landed property, try to live in a bungalow. I've lived in Penang and malacca over many years, both in bungalows, and never encountered problems of encroaching neighbours simply bcoz of the space. At worse, it is barking dogs. My aunt and bro who live in terrace and semi-d are often complaining to me about the uncivic-consciousness of neighbours: eg. Dumping waste along common spaces (ie. dumping anywhere except outside their own home), parking obstructions, keeping their homes/compounds in shambles that create a poor image and therefore possibly devaluing the homes in the neighbourhood.

When I retire in my M'sian home, the last thing I would want is to be quarreling with neighbours.

IMHO, good neighbours are always a blessing.

There are pitfalls in landed and condos.

Being owner of both, I can see the joys too.

Please take a look at the JB Crimewatch thread. Carparks in condos are notorious for crime. Do take heed.

Last edited:

Hongqigong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. Great to learn I can watch the archive from the internet.

Maybe wuqi can be found in the show since he has properties everywhere over there.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually you can watch the show online a few days after the Broadcast. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/tvshows/

Just watched a show there. Missing in Malaysia.
Scary show about missing children in Malaysia.
Says that 5 children go missing every day in Malaysia!
We should never take for granted the safety of our children.

Just read the Msia chinese papers today said one couple left their three children in the car for 20 mins while they went into a shop to buy washing machine, when they came back they drove off and didn't realise one child missing, until later then realised, apparently the child went to look for them and the child was still missing after 2 days according to the news article.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, not all Msian Chinese to be blamed ya. I also came across FT (Not msian chinese), who also criticise Sinkie and govt. They work in Spore (EP), stay in JB. Yet they hantam the garment (who feed them) and their countryman (sinkies). Why double face ya.

Not surprisingly, these FT did that while staying in SG, now just moved to JB but continue to do the same lah.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
At times i dont know whether to pity our endangered species (singkies)?

S-Plates, sinkies kena.

Cut queue, sinkies kena.

Talk loud loud, sinkies kena.

Rising cost (JB), sinkies kena.

Sinkies always kena misfired.

Are sinkies the real culprite?

But very important hor. Dont bite ur master hand that feed u. :rolleyes:

Haha so true, Singaporeans always taken for granted and are punching bag when bad things happened - be it in own country or JB.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are correct. There isn't an issue of nationality nor should there be one. It is basic human courtesy and respect of living together as a community. The issue of nationality was mentioned was because he made a big issue of it when the HH Township people and I were trying to highlight to him that what he was doing, parking infront of my gate makes entry into and out of my house difficult. Kept asking me to go back to Australia???? If I wanted to live in a place where there was rules about parking infront of a persons gate..... Why would he think I am from Australia, in most places, which is quite a few places and countries, where I have lived and worked I am NOT mistaken for any race other than being a Chinese....... and if he meant what I wanted was, which is not having difficulty getting into and out of my own house when I want to, then he is from a different planet. Doesn't everyone want to live in and enjoy the home they are in? Does not matter if he is a Malaysian or Singaporean, if he was taught any basic courtesy, then doing such selfish actions is not acceptable to an enlightened and civilized person in a community. I dread to think what other issues will arise in the future when he and his enlarged family unit moves in. A friend who I recounted this incident to has called it " a sty"!!!!

You mean your neighbour thought you are from Australia but actually you are not, he doesn't know your nationality and kept asking you to go back Australia? So complicated... Anyway, nationality aside, such selfish and hostile neighbours are real bad!

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are correct. There isn't an issue of nationality nor should there be one. It is basic human courtesy and respect of living together as a community. The issue of nationality was mentioned was because he made a big issue of it when the HH Township people and I were trying to highlight to him that what he was doing, parking infront of my gate makes entry into and out of my house difficult. .
Initially when he parked infront of my house, I met him and told him that in doing that he was making it difficult foe me to get into and leave my house. The cul-de-sac of such is beside his side wall of his house. He does not want to park in front of his house as it's on the main road that serves as the entry and exit of the precinct. In saying that he could park only the road outside his house as I see most of the other house owners have done! He then tells me it's Common property and that he can do so! Trying then to explain to him that he is causing me difficulty and that when the children come out to play pose a danger to them did not change his mind. It then proceed with a flurry of foul expletives from him which was totally unexpected in a suppose civilized but tense conversation!!! There and then I decided it was a matter for the Township to resolved. I did not want to do anything "silly" that would then cause me to be viewed as the unreasonable and aggressive person. I am informed that Township is seeking legal advise to get this matter resolved???

Hi Grago, sorry to hear about this. Working with Township is definitely the way to go for now. I can see the legality of it and is not clear cut.

The road belongs to the Government, ie the public. But the DMC spells out acceptable conduct to preserve harmony which everyone signed. I do believe the outcome will be important to everyone because the roads have become narrower and people buy more cars thus such cases will crop up more often.

In my opinion, since he chose to live in HH and signed the DMC, he would have to respect its intent of providing a safe, harmonious and pleasant environment. Otherwise the DMC has no meaning. Your arguments have been reasonable esp on safety and common practice in the precinct.

You have done teh right thing. Leave it to HH Legal to solve. Keep us updated and let us know at some point if a petition becomes necessary if not resolved amicably.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Grago, sorry to hear about this. Working with Township is definitely the way to go for now. I can see the legality of it and is not clear cut.

The road belongs to the Government, ie the public. But the DMC spells out acceptable conduct to preserve harmony which everyone signed. I do believe the outcome will be important to everyone because the roads have become narrower and people buy more cars thus such cases will crop up more often.

In my opinion, since he chose to live in HH and signed the DMC, he would have to respect its intent of providing a safe, harmonious and pleasant environment. Otherwise the DMC has no meaning. Your arguments have been reasonable esp on safety and common practice in the precinct.

You have done teh right thing. Leave it to HH Legal to solve. Keep us updated and let us know at some point if a petition becomes necessary if not resolved amicably.

Hello Contra, thank you for the encouragement and support. I will keep in mind the offer and also updates when there is news.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Danger. Danger. This article was written by PKR. Can u imagine what will happen if PKR comes into power. They may kill the iskandar project.

Peanuts for landowners, millions for cronies

The moment your land is eyed by the greedy Umno cronies, that’s it. It will be taken away from you in the name of development.

COMMENT

By Chua Jui Meng

Now the Malays are beginning to see through Umno’s 55 years of misleading the community to enrich themselves, their families and cronies.

It sure took a long time for the Malay Chamber of Commerce Malaysia and several non-governmental organisations to finally see the real problem – the super corrupt and greedy Umno.

Chamber president Syed Ali Alattas lamented that the Malays in Johor are the poorest in Malaysia, with cost of living skyrocketing due to the significant presence of foreigners (Singaporeans) residing in the state.

He also pointed to the fact that 80% of the former Malay-majority owned Iskandar land was now foreign-owned.

Syed Ali said even the Malays in Kelantan were richer because one can buy more with the ringgit in the east coast state.

The Malays can buy a bungalow for RM200,000 in Kelantan but the same would cost RM1.5 million in Johor.

In the past two decades, thousands of acres of Malay ancestral land had been “robbed” by former Menteri Besar Muhyiddin Yassin and now the Ghani Othman-led Johor government is using the Land Acquisition Act 1960.

Just look and tell me what you see in Tebrau, Pasir Gudang, Danga Bay, Iskandar and Nusajaya.

And the latest to benefit from the “seized” Malay land is China’s Country Garden (Holdings) Ltd.

It bought 55 acres in Iskandar’s Danga Bay for RM900 million for property development. The state government, using the Act, had paid the majority Malay land owners only 64 sen psf or RM1.53 million.

Now, locals just cannot afford the houses and condominiums priced from RM800,000 and above. And these properties are on land previously belonging to Malays.

Blame Dr Mahathir

In fact the land grabs in Johor have been going on the past two decades, starting with Muhyiddin, and now with Ghani and his government using the Act to acquire land to be alienated to cronies for property development.

And the person Malaysians have to thank for such an opportunity to abuse and grab land is Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

It was Mahathir, using Barisan Nasional (BN)’s overwhelming majority in Parliament in 1991, who passed the Land Acquisition Amendment Bill.

The rephrasing of sections of the Land Acquisition Act 1960 basically gave incontestable power to state governments to seize private land for development by private companies and individuals. Lands originally acquired for public purposes can also be used for private development.

Before the amendments, land could only be acquired for public purposes or for public utilities like building of roads, schools, hospitals, pipelines, water or power plants, etc.

With the addition of “…for any purpose which in the opinion of the State Authority is beneficial to the economic development of Malaysia”, no land is safe.

The term “beneficial to the economic development of Malaysia” is as subjective as you can get. A piece of land can be acquired to build a posh five-star hotel, an amusement park or a golf resort because in the opinion of the government it would bring in the tourist dollar and create jobs for locals, not to mention enriching the private companies which would, of course, be paying taxes.

That was Umno and Mahathir’s “killer” and is the cause of land grabs everywhere today. This has actually rendered all land in Malaysia as unsafe investment.

The moment the land you own is eyed by the greedy Umno cronies, that’s it. In the name of development (read Umno’s pockets), you will be paid peanuts but Umno and its cronies will develop and reap millions or billions of ringgit.

Rakyat taken for a ride

In Johor, who have benefited from Ghani’s massive land acquisitions? Umno’s cronies and companies. Only Singaporeans and the rich non-Johoreans can afford to buy the properties.

Even foreigners are taking us for a ride just because BN-Umno is desperate to show development.

In Nusajaya, the infrastructure and buildings are constructed by UEM on 305 acres called EduCity@Iskandar. University of Newcastle, Raffles University Iskandar, Reading University and a Dutch Maritime University are slated to just move in and operate.

Foreigners benefit and you call this investments? What kind of development plan is this?

Where are the Johoreans in this? Only Umno cronies and foreigners.

Ghani’s latest land grab exercise is in Pengerang where some 22,500 acres of Malay land, including cemeteries, are being acquired for the non-sustainable Petronas Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (Rapid) project which needs only about 6,000 acres.

Thousands of villagers, the majority being Malays, will be evicted. Such cruel land grabs will not stop unless Umno is stopped.

Chua Jui Meng is PKR vice-president and Johor state chief. He is also a former MCA vice-president and an ex-Cabinet member.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Danger. Danger. This article was written by PKR. Can u imagine what will happen if PKR comes into power. They may kill the iskandar project. .

Not possible to kill a bull run now....

Malaysia property prices is still one of the lowest in Asia.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha so true, Singaporeans always taken for granted and are punching bag when bad things happened - be it in own country or JB.

Morning Sis Gin, being a country that accepted migrants to it Shores, Singapore has been a country that in the past most people from around the region aspired to and got into not only for the economic future but also the manner in which people saw as good and civil society. Unfortunately, this also attracted the 'undesirables' who when asked are always quick to quip ' I'm a Singaporean' but when circumstances develop and they find that it is not to their advantage, the actual nationality is then revealed, thinking it will either gain some kind of advantage or sympathetic response.
I have actually met 'The Good, The Bad and literally The Ugly Singaporean' :eek: :biggrin:. But then in my travels, even to the "Civilised countries" I had my encounters with these trio of human traits. Thankfully I meet/met more of "The Good" and though, maybe physically "The Ugly" who surprisingly are more Good then Ugly".
I agree with you that Singaporeans are sometimes taken for granted. More the mistaken identification of an individual who though has the physical appearance of being better attired, therefore a "Singaporean". But in saying this NOT All SPR, behave so badly, it's the individual irrespective of nationality, who lacks the social graces BUT aspires to be identified with a Nationality that is perceived to be of a more progressive nation.
So therein lies the crux of the reason why Singaporeans in general get hammered whenever there is a problem.

g3abc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, Living in JB 2 has now reached 500 pages.
Opening the new thread now in the interest of making it easier for people to go through.
Welcome back. :smile:

Hi Wuqi256 Sir,

I met a Chinese friend who lives at Bukit INdah with her Eurasian husband.
She complimented on the great neighbourliness in her mostly chinese neighbourhood,
but lamented that even after 3plus years,..still unable to make any Malay friends.

What reay are the attitudes of the general Johorian Malays, towards non-malays iving in Johor ?

Thanks

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello g3abc,

Welcome to the Neighbourhood and Johore.
The simple wave, nod, hello/ Selamat Hari (pagi, Pagi, malam) would be the initial "ice breaker". Initial response would range from a guarded reciprocated greeting to a indifferent look. Patience and eventually relationship will "warm up". Like most strangers one meets, it takes time before a relationship is achieved. But like most things in our " modern world" practice caution also. Good luck.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the fun part of property investing.

Different people see different thing.

Yes, I see opportunity for the corruption (highlighted by Chua Jui Meng) to be put into spotlight if the opposition come into power. While I am not a BN supporter and I do hope the opposition make greater inroads this coming GE13, I dont have so much confidence (90% per cent chance wor!) that PR will gain power.
imho, investors who are afraid of opposition gaining power will mean their investments will be seriously impacted adopt a shortsighted view. Wouldnt this mean a greater chance of more accountability, and potentially less corruption? Funny how some ppl prefer to stick with the known even if it means continuing to accept increasing levels of corruption and govt screwing the rakyat and indirectly impacting their investments. Just my opinion lah.

Hello g3abc,

Welcome to the Neighbourhood and Johore.
The simple wave, nod, hello/ Selamat Hari (pagi, Pagi, malam) would be the initial "ice breaker". Initial response would range from a guarded reciprocated greeting to a indifferent look. Patience and eventually relationship will "warm up". Like most strangers one meets, it takes time before a relationship is achieved. But like most things in our " modern world" practice caution also. Good luck.

Yeah, add a nice smile and use these phrases "Apa khabar, sudah makan belum?" or "Ni hao, jiak pa buay?"...I think asking someone if they have eaten is a good way to break ice,...just like asking, "hows the weather" in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.