• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
sorry ha, this one sure sporean... most msian chinese can speak malay but this one ta boleh. the way he talk I sure can find everyday in spore

Agree with you that we should be gracious and polite in other countries, the same should be applied for all countries, even in Singapore.

Language though is not 100% reliable as an indication, an old neighbour of mine in his 70s now and 100% Malaysian does not speak Malay well. Another one purposely don't speak it especially at fast food restaurants and i find that many tend to speak English at fast food places. This reminds me of the time someone claimed to be Singapore on a flight while trying to jostle and get onboard first and yet another while trying to buy my neighbours house, their accent gave them away when they finally spoke in their native tongue instead of English.

The true Singaporean is a rarity these days and soon an endangered species.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I sure hope not. I detest rude people that treat service staff with contempt. They are human too and have you realised you get better service if you are friendly and polite. Anyway, Happy New Year everyone. See you future neighbours when we move to our respective homes.

P/s: where do we get fireworks? I've seen fireworks during raya but have no idea where they buy them.

Agree, many such people have a chip on their shoulder and behave as if they are superior to anyone. We even have folks who dissed others who don't have the newest gadget like newest iphone or large screen monitors as if no one else can afford them. Many who have more than a few million in their accounts don't even bother to have a tv or (large screen one for that matter) home. Visited a huge house in SG once, entire place only has a single 14" tv and its in the kitchen.

Fireworks, you can look out for them at the pasar malams. A certain wet market always has them or else you have to go all the way to Segamat like someone once did to get fireworks for his bro.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you that we should be gracious and polite in other countries, the same should be applied for all countries, even in Singapore.

Language though is not 100% reliable as an indication, an old neighbour of mine in his 70s now and 100% Malaysian does not speak Malay well. Another one purposely don't speak it especially at fast food restaurants and i find that many tend to speak English at fast food places. This reminds me of the time someone claimed to be Singapore on a flight while trying to jostle and get onboard first and yet another while trying to buy my neighbours house, their accent gave them away when they finally spoke in their native tongue instead of English.

The true Singaporean is a rarity these days and soon an endangered species.

True, everyone claims to be from Singapore nowadays. That day at Legoland magic show, one angmoh and family were asked where they are from and he also said they are from Singapore. The emcee asked him further than he revealed he is from some angmoh country working in SG lah.

I have also met people on tour group before who claimed to be from SG, turned out they are PRCs studying or working in SG. Recently met a group of PRCs in JB who were speaking Singlish to a sales exec until they turned around and talked to themselves in Mandarin with PRC accent. Hard to tell nowadays lah.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Again .. drive spore registered car and speak Singlish doesnt mean sporean. Surrounding me, I have 8 out of 10 friends who are malaysians but Spore PR staying in malaysia. Most grew up in Singapore and left their kampong from age 6 or 7

Real Sporeans prefer to keep low or zero profile in jb.

Frankly I have not met any rude Singaporeans after moving around JB for so long, most are just families going about their life. I agree Singaporeans keep very low profile.

I think give Singaporeans a break in JB, don't be too quick to hum tum and label Singaporeans ugly, never know what is the reason behind any outburst.

jailbird005

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
True, everyone claims to be from Singapore nowadays. That day at Legoland magic show, one angmoh and family were asked where they are from and he also said they are from Singapore. The emcee asked him further than he revealed he is from some angmoh country working in SG lah.

I have also met people on tour group before who claimed to be from SG, turned out they are PRCs studying or working in SG. Recently met a group of PRCs in JB who were speaking Singlish to a sales exec until they turned
around and talked to themselves in Mandarin with PRC accent. Hard to tell nowadays lah.
recently went to Europe with tour group.....there is a group of youngsters. While sight-seeing n shopping, heard them telling the Europeans that they are from Singapore. Only realized that they r actually malaysians when the tour leader hand over their passport to them!

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good hor..Got BBq birds to eat everyday...:biggrin:
pf1.jpg

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
recently went to Europe with tour group.....there is a group of youngsters. While sight-seeing n shopping, heard them telling the Europeans that they are from Singapore. Only realized that they r actually malaysians when the tour leader hand over their passport to them!

Yeah that was what happened in my tour group too, mine was a local tour in Bali and got angmoh and the PRCs and they were telling the angmoh they are from Singapore!

Guanyi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like it or not Singapore is still well respected around the world. Think about the conveniences of traveling with Singapore passport. No visa needed to travel to the world top 3 biggest economy. Not many countries in the world command this treatment from the giants. Clearing US immigration for me is a breeze. Just 3 simple questions:
- Who do you work for?
- Why are you here?
- How long are going to stay?

I think that's the reason why people want to associate themselves with the little Red Dot.

Yeah that was what happened in my tour group too, mine was a local tour in Bali and got angmoh and the PRCs and they were telling the angmoh they are from Singapore!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thats why until they take out their passport or NRIC, i would never assume anything. There are a lot of folks who work in Singapore who are seriously true blue Singaporean in outlook, language and lifestyle and in many ways more Singaporean than Singaporeans themselves. Then there are others who claim to be from Singapore just for the heck of it or for convenience/building rapport.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Quick updates:

Car related:
Pasir Gudang highway had a lot of potholes filled up recently, thumbs up but the road towards the coastal highway/Legoland needs fixing as well.
When buying 2nd hand cars, do note that the year or even the month it was registered on will factor in the pricing when buying or selling.

Try not to change an entire windscreen just because of cracks, do get them filled up (DIY by buying kits from ebay, etc or through a professional firm and most insurance firms will cover the repair or mandate that you try to repair it first anyway. After market replacement of windscreens, unless done well and professionally, else may result in multiple leaks or worse, internal flooding where water seeps into the chassis of the vehicle and rusts from the inside. There is one firm doing such replacements/repairs (Nanmar) right besides Eurorich hotel.

Bukit Indah has became more vibrant of late, now lots of eateries/business/pubs and hotels but parking and congestion remains a factor. The Hotel Granada is pretty interesting though.

A new and LARGE library is opening up soon in the area.

Buying stuff:
Kong Ming lanterns (sky lanterns) are available now at DIY store (2nd floor) in Tesco (Bukit Indah). My poor dad was looking high and low for his relatives the past few weeks and paid very high for each. Yet today, just found that DIY store is selling it for about 6.80 RM for large ones so do grab them if you are looking for them.

Blue ray discs with 3D features are being sold for 30 RM at this video place in Tesco (ground floor). "Non original" though it seems but pretty nice for the blue ray player and PS3.

HH related:
The convenience/general/groceries shop at the corner seems to be operating 24 by 7 now. More businesses seems to be taking place there.

General:
Digital TV with limited channels like Channel 5, Channel 5 HD, Channel 8 and Channel News Asia are pretty much available on top of the regular free to air channels.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good thing about extra land is that you are allowed to build extension . Usually must have 7ft boundary fr neighbors fench. So if you are sharing walls no change to build right to the end of your own wall.

marineblue911

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

How can we receive Digital TV in JB? Is there a place to get the set top box needed? Darn, i just installed my soon to be obsolete analogue antenna. :smile:

Quick updates:

Car related:
Pasir Gudang highway had a lot of potholes filled up recently, thumbs up but the road towards the coastal highway/Legoland needs fixing as well.
When buying 2nd hand cars, do note that the year or even the month it was registered on will factor in the pricing when buying or selling.

Try not to change an entire windscreen just because of cracks, do get them filled up (DIY by buying kits from ebay, etc or through a professional firm and most insurance firms will cover the repair or mandate that you try to repair it first anyway. After market replacement of windscreens, unless done well and professionally, else may result in multiple leaks or worse, internal flooding where water seeps into the chassis of the vehicle and rusts from the inside. There is one firm doing such replacements/repairs (Nanmar) right besides Eurorich hotel.

Bukit Indah has became more vibrant of late, now lots of eateries/business/pubs and hotels but parking and congestion remains a factor. The Hotel Granada is pretty interesting though.

Buying stuff:
Kong Ming lanterns (sky lanterns) are available now at DIY store (2nd floor) in Tesco (Bukit Indah). My poor dad was looking high and low for his relatives the past few weeks and paid very high for each. Yet today, just found that DIY store is selling it for about 6.80 RM for large ones so do grab them if you are looking for them.

Blue ray discs with 3D features are being sold for 30 RM at this video place in Tesco (ground floor). "Non original" though it seems but pretty nice for the blue ray player and PS3.

HH related:
The convenience/general/groceries shop at the corner seems to be operating 24 by 7 now. More businesses seems to be taking place there.

General:
Digital TV with limited channels like Channel 5, Channel 5 HD, Channel 8 and Channel News Asia are pretty much available on top of the regular free to air channels.

allanckk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quick updates:

Car related:

Buying stuff:

HH related:

General:

Large library?? are you referring to the new indoor library in Sutera mall?

Status
Not open for further replies.