• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guanyi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was able to open a current account and got a visa from the bank that I am getting my housing lone. This was no hustle at all.

For cheques of large amount, the merchant will only honor the order or deliver the goods after the cheque clearance, usually about 3 working days.
I was told that now, for Singaporeans opening a current account, they need to deposit an initial amount of RM10,000 and also 1 Malaysian referee with the same bank.
Or you can also open a savings account with a min of RM500, and they will issue you a debit card. Leave some money there and you can use the debit card anywhere like a credit card.
Try not to use your sg credit card for payment of large amount, the exchange rate are usually very much lower than the money changers.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually any major local bank, they are most willing to provide you with such services - current acct, credit cards, debit cards etc, as long as you are taking up a HUGH loan with them.

Even a Singaporean can get a credit line or term loan from Malaysia banks?

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even a Singaporean can get a credit line or term loan from Malaysia banks?

Doesn't really matter whether you are from Singapore or Kazakhstan, as long as you can prove your credit worthiness , provide local guarantor and or provide sufficient collateral security, you can take loans and other financial facilities.
Although its not as easy as in Singapore being an open international financial centre, but ultimately its all about business and banks there need businesses.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Unless it has changed, i can still get accounts for my friends as with deposit as low as 1-5k from banks like Alliance and Hong Leong Bank. CC wise, they will check on you, i have friends who got CC application refused even though they have large earnings and 6-7 figures in FD account. They had to call the bank twice before getting it approved. Do keep your cheque book and CC secure at all times when possible in any country you are in.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
On a separate matter, do note that for cars with curtains and dark solar film, there are a number of JPJ roadblocks around Taman Daya and off highway ramps especially near to the JPJ inspection centre (Ulu Tiram another one JPJ)

They won't fine you nor ask for anything, just ask you to go for inspection and take down your solar film or curtains. Again, at least for my case, no fines involved but you do need to remove all of these and go for inspection before getting a pass and putting solar film back again.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Speaking of PB, i had a number of experiences (all unpleasant from PB)

Common things:

One of them started way back in Living in JB1 where basically the teller told me i cannot open a current account here as i am a foreigner.
Of course, her manager called her and she sheepishly took back the funds that she had pushed all over the floor (which i then picked up
and pass it to her) This was mentioned by myself and bros here a long time back but as long as you have a loan, getting a current account
or even FD becomes easier with some flexi accounts allowing you to even have combo accounts.

Then recently sent a lot of emails for them for one loan application, in the end the manager claimed i did not send any to him but all this
while myself and others have been sending emails to him, only those with no attachments got through. In the end had to forward everything
all over again to their private mail accounts.

By the way, agents/developers/bankers/lawyers here tend to use private or personal mail account as their corporate ones are usually throttled or blocked or have size restrictions/incorrect firewall/mail proxy/anti-spam/anti-virus settings on
their email accounts.

Last one, my relative had a new loan recently, their accounts/admin department called up the firm my relative was working at and demanded to speak with my relative's manager or boss. Without further verifying with my relative the name, etc of the supposed manager/boss, proceeded to verify the pay of my relative and proceeded to basically disclose to the entire office that my relative:

1. Draws a certain amount of pay and length of tenure in the company
2. Is buying a house in Malaysia and has other properties
3. Other details which were irrelevant to the loan nor to her job.

When asked, the manager did not apologise nor do any follow up and simply covered up with the story that the receptionist identified herself as the manager and that the bank representative (newbie) had done all she could to verify before checking for the information. My relative checked with the receptionist and it seems like straightaway the bank rep asked everything.

Yes, they do have a right to verify but the random calls and just asking anyone in the office and giving them information about my relative was wrong. They should have just called the right number instead of the mainline and start blasting away.

The newbie does not know better and probably was not adequately trained but the old bird or company should have kept things professional. Now the entire office is giving my relative a very hard time and today she called me late in the evening with anger. I have asked her to drop the matter to give my friend face but it seems she may have to consider changing role or to quit her job as some people are now giving her a hardtime as they know her pay, etc.

Not apologising and changing story + bank manager being rude did not help PB's case.

For the sake of my friend who recommended us PB, i will not name the branch here but guys/gals who are keen on getting bank loans, please learn from this and make sure to only give them your direct boss/HR director's number and no one else.

To be fair, I am sure these types of snafus are not just limited to Public Bank alone so again do beware when they tell you that they are calling you to check on with your company.

I had my fair share of an incident like this where a company i was buying a from basically faxed across all my details, payslips, income tax, bank statements, FD and stocks holdings to my company when i cancelled the deal as the car was not to dad's satisfaction.

Though they forfeited my deposit, i guess its a case of spite so they basically faxed it to my company main fax line not once but twice. Had a lot of knowing looks when i went to work next morning.

Bottom line is, there are a lot of induhviduals (credit to Scott Adams) out there who don't know any better, their bosses are either not paying enough attention or care enough so do beware when sending over your personal details to anyone.

Again using private email accounts in MY for business, even formal ones is very common here so its not a real red flag when your lawyer uses a gmail or yahoo or msn account to receive your documents.

Having a lot of challenges recently with kids health, business and work so won't be online as much as i like. Appreciate any help from bros here to continue helping out the newbies.

Last edited:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CIMB Bank

I bought a condo in JB in August 2012 from SP Setia. Saw a small CIMB booth at the corner of the room hence I approach them trying to set up an account and a home loan.

They told me they need my credit report, salary slip, passport, bank statement for 6 months etc etc.....
After thru and flo with the loan officer for about 2 weeks, I receive a call from the manager wanting more document like my company statement; 3 months bank statement.....

It is endless of faxing and calling.... till I give up totally.

Worst of all; when I call them I just want a current bank account to service my developer payment.... they turn me down saying that is not their department. I told them to pass all my documents to the branch so I can go and open an account is also turn down.

This is real hell to those whom enjoy openning account in Singapore as if it is a stroll at the park.
To be a first world country in 2020; the banks in Malaysia should allow free flowing of liquidity. If you are so frightened about funds from Singapore; how you expect to be open up for funds in USA...?

1997 is hiostory; liquidity provide boom and bust. One cannot just accept boom and try way to avoid bust. It is mission impossible.

Last edited:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
UOB Bank

Jalan Wong Ah Fook
2, Jalan Wong Ah Fook,
80000 Johor Bahru

Openning account in this UOB Branch is fast and simple. (Maybe because they are Singapore bank afterall)
I just walk in; took a number.

When my number is call; I just give them my passport (cannot remember whether IC is require) to open the account.
I open a current account with a ATM card. After everything is done with RM5000 credited; they show me how to deposit cash into the ATM cash deposit machine. And after everything is done; they walk me out ..... wow that is totally different from the treatment I receive from CIMB.

sillysinky

Alfrescian
Loyal
CIMB Bank

I bought a condo in JB in August 2012 from SP Setia. Saw a small CIMB booth at the corner of the room hence I approach them trying to set up an account and a home loan.

They told me they need my credit report, salary slip, passport, bank statement for 6 months etc etc.....
After thru and flo with the loan officer for about 2 weeks, I receive a call from the manager wanting more document like my company statement; 3 months bank statement.....

It is endless of faxing and calling.... till I give up totally.

Worst of all; when I call them I just want a current bank account to service my developer payment.... they turn me down saying that is not their department. I told them to pass all my documents to the branch so I can go and open an account is also turn down.

This is real hell to those whom enjoy openning account in Singapore as if it is a stroll at the park.
To be a first world country in 2020; the banks in Malaysia should allow free flowing of liquidity. If you are so frightened about funds from Singapore; how you expect to be open up for funds in USA...?

1997 is hiostory; liquidity provide boom and bust. One cannot just accept boom and try way to avoid bust. It is mission impossible.

NOt a very customer-friendly bank. i totally agree with you.

MsTrii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having a lot of challenges recently with kids health, business and work so won't be online as much as i like. Appreciate any help from bros here to continue helping out the newbies.

U take it easy sir n go ahead n see to your personal matters with ease of heart. I m sure other senior forummers will come forward to hold the fort . Cheers!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
U take it easy sir n go ahead n see to your personal matters with ease of heart. I m sure other senior forummers will come forward to hold the fort . Cheers!

Thank you, been working over 2 days straight and helping my wife with the school matters.

One of the ex staff, our principal in fact was so vindictive even though she left us on a good note and we even gave her a token sum on her last day. Now after failing to bring our teachers and parents over, she is harrassing and threatening some of our staff daily.

Today, even called our staff to threaten to sue us for nonsensical things as well as told our staff that she wants to burn down our school and threatening to harm us. I understand that she is under pressure to get our teachers and students to join them but this is not the way to do things.

Luckily our staff and parents are supporting us but this is getting out of hand, our state franchisor knows about it but not sure what is being done right now. This ex staff even claims the state franchisor will help her and grab our staff over to other branches.

AADC6970

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybank

i took a loan with maybank in Aug and made it clear to the mortgage sales person that i am looking to have another housing loan around this time of the year. my condition was that if only both loans can be approved at 90% (my other half is a Msian), then will i bank with Maybank as i prefer to consolidate my loans/accounts. she confirmed not a problem and i proceeded with first loan.
had to open a current account and was promised free credit card (not that i wanted but the bank wanted to have another one on their statistics). chased her a few times but the card never came although she promised to check. i had also asked her many times for quotations on mortgage protection but she never came back at all despite repeated promises on sending me quotes over email.

now that i am ready to proceed with the 2nd intended loan, while she did reply to my msg to get in touch with the developer, she did nothing at all after that. developer kindly intro me to another maybank mortgage sales officer. and this officer's service is much better than the first.

but now maybank is only willing to grant 80% loan although the loan commitment is not a large part of our income. the reason? becos this is our 2nd purchase in the same year, they are afraid that it is for investments (!!). of course a 2nd house must be for investments, isn't it? who can stay in 2 houses at the same time. even the mortgage sales officer cannot understand the processing officer's logic.

now, they ask if i can provide a Johor address of a relative to justify my 90% loan. i just cannot understand the logic....it just seems that they prefer to earn less with a lower loan quantum.

overall, not a good experience. but having also interacted with other banks, i have come to learn and accept that we have to push the bank/officers hard to follow up on things diligently. n there is no promise this may help.

Shaven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
I'm on the same boat as you but its a practice in msia bank for second property loan will be down to <80%, you are lucky you get 80% mine is only 70%.
:smile:
Maybank

i took a loan with maybank in Aug and made it clear to the mortgage sales person that i am looking to have another housing loan around this time of the year. my condition was that if only both loans can be approved at 90% (my other half is a Msian), then will i bank with Maybank as i prefer to consolidate my loans/accounts. she confirmed not a problem and i proceeded with first loan.
had to open a current account and was promised free credit card (not that i wanted but the bank wanted to have another one on their statistics). chased her a few times but the card never came although she promised to check. i had also asked her many times for quotations on mortgage protection but she never came back at all despite repeated promises on sending me quotes over email.

now that i am ready to proceed with the 2nd intended loan, while she did reply to my msg to get in touch with the developer, she did nothing at all after that. developer kindly intro me to another maybank mortgage sales officer. and this officer's service is much better than the first.

but now maybank is only willing to grant 80% loan although the loan commitment is not a large part of our income. the reason? becos this is our 2nd purchase in the same year, they are afraid that it is for investments (!!). of course a 2nd house must be for investments, isn't it? who can stay in 2 houses at the same time. even the mortgage sales officer cannot understand the processing officer's logic.

now, they ask if i can provide a Johor address of a relative to justify my 90% loan. i just cannot understand the logic....it just seems that they prefer to earn less with a lower loan quantum.

overall, not a good experience. but having also interacted with other banks, i have come to learn and accept that we have to push the bank/officers hard to follow up on things diligently. n there is no promise this may help.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Usually hard unless you can beef up your documents but never give up. Try with another bank.

AADC6970

Alfrescian
Loyal
i applied with another bank - HL bank - at the same time as with maybank. HL approved at 80%. n the maybank officer knows it becos according to her, there is a centralized system where all banks can see what is being approved by other banks.

i find this really strange. where is customer's banking secrecy??

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
i applied with another bank - HL bank - at the same time as with maybank. HL approved at 80%. n the maybank officer knows it becos according to her, there is a centralized system where all banks can see what is being approved by other banks.

i find this really strange. where is customer's banking secrecy??

Its all part of their transparency plans, much like what CBS has in Singapore where your credit history is available for any banks to access.
They will know but not all the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.