• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reading between the lines, there's going to be no U-turn for now. Not sure if there's going to be another 'minor incident' as the 1 week deadline is up tomorrow.

I will gladly pay for Jam free causeway

What is $16 dollar now? 3 movie tickets per family is already $30 at least, when you know that you can get tons of saving buying from JB itself ?

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is $16 dollar now? 3 movie tickets per family is already $30 at least, when you know that you can get tons of saving buying from JB itself ?

When we said we like the jam-free Causeway, it does not mean we are happy to pay the toll-hikes. There is no reason for paying other than to offset the cost of building the EDL, which comes with Iskandar. There are some who went and bought buy things but many have not and there may not be savings. So ironically my wish is for them to U-turn.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yesterday I bought 5 movie tickets for RM60 at KSL to watch ninja turtles.:biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
A brand new Yamaha motorbike cost only about RM5,000 while a 2nd hand one way below RM2,000.......anyone can have one or two in his backyard.

so cheap, buang and scratch and drop also wont feel pinch. For that amount cannot even smell the COE paper for bike.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

For me, it's more abt enjoying the cafes & lifestyle in JB (landed living, swimming & golf), rather than the savings from the groceries.....hehe..... Though the fee is set to rise to RM 83 [RM 33 (16.5 x 2) + RM50] in the near future......

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Yen Mun | The Star/Asia News Network | Thursday, Aug 7, 2014

PUTRAJAYA - The Works Ministry is expected to look into the concerns raised by those affected by the new toll rates. "They (the Works Ministry) are also gathering more information from other (Johor) wakil rakyat over the hue and cry of the local people. "It is up to the minister in charge to announce these," said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong.

MCA had also voiced concerns over the impact of the new toll on small and medium enterprises and Malaysians who commute daily to Singapore via the expressway. Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai has raised this matter in the Cabinet meeting yesterday alongside Dr Wee.

Dr Wee said the concerns were discussed at the meeting and that the Works Ministry was expected to conduct a study on the matter.

"The Works Minister (Datuk Fadillah Yusof) has explained that it is too costly to take over this highway without any charge......."

Now the cat is out of the bag. They discovered that "robbing Peter to pay Paul" is the easiest solution. But they forget they opened up the "Pandora's Box" which affects everyone, the businesses, the workers, the shoppers, Iskandar and ultimately KL. In trying to sound smart, they say they are studying the matter like what DPM said. Hopefully, we will know soon 'cos when Singapore matches the hikes, U-turn may be even more difficult.

Yesterday we entered JB to test the waters and found going into JB is a breeze. We like that.

On our return, it was again a few minutes clearing the JB Customs pretty fast too. But in Singapore, we were stuck for half an hour at the last stop! We were wondering why it took that long!

Apparently, those dim idiots who implement the toll is such a haste, do not know the immediate negative effect.
Now, after implementing and caused havoc, then they now decided to "conduct a study on the matter" . Wasn't this supposed to be carried out earlier to justify the implementation??
And which idiot minister approved or responsible for this jumbo fiasco who thought the toll only affects mostly Singaporeans ??
So typical of MY's way of policy making and implementation without serious due consideration.
I guess the reason for the delayed official reply to SG was to allow themselves some space to "fine tune" otherwise once SG start to charge a matching toll, it'll be to late and extremely embarrassing.
And I still think that there may be some modification made to the toll soon, after their "in depth study on the matter".

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apparently, those dim idiots who implement the toll is such a haste, do not know the immediate negative effect.
Now, after implementing ..........
it has to be this way else when their way of doing things surpasses spore's, then goodness how spore is going to exist?

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judging from this situation, to build an expressway also struggle to pay for it.. What more to build an MRT system in Johor.
I think we can forget about it. Else commuters on the train also have to pay toll on top of the train fares.
Maybe that's why on Singapore side everything is ready but Johor side still dragging its feet.
I think they just don't have the money to do it.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judging from this situation, to build an expressway also struggle to pay for it.. What more to build an MRT system in Johor.
I think we can forget about it. Else commuters on the train also have to pay toll on top of the train fares.
Maybe that's why on Singapore side everything is ready but Johor side still dragging its feet.
I think they just don't have the money to do it.

Sure got money to build MRT lah.......It was originally requested by MY, and is a great money spinner for them. Probably at least RM 5 per trip?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

When we said we like the jam-free Causeway, it does not mean we are happy to pay the toll-hikes. There is no reason for paying other than to offset the cost of building the EDL, which comes with Iskandar. There are some who went and bought buy things but many have not and there may not be savings. So ironically my wish is for them to U-turn.

Of course i am not happy of the toll hike. It hell lot of money for me. I also want them to Uturn.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me, it's more abt enjoying the cafes & lifestyle in JB (landed living, swimming & golf), rather than the savings from the groceries.....hehe..... Though the fee is set to rise to RM 83 [RM 33 (16.5 x 2) + RM50] in the near future......

Any dentist to recommend ? I like to make denture.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
congo9;1966209[I said:
]Any dentist to recommend ? I like to make denture.
[/I]

I would say I know of two dentists, one Dr Salmah binte Abdul Rahman operating at Klinik Pergigian Sal (33A Jalan Dedap) Tel: 073562971 and the other at Klinik Pergigian Shanghai, No. 8 A Jln Ros Merah 3/2 Taman Johor Jaya, Tel:
6073540430. I visited Dr Salmah to patch up a hole and it cost RM80.....She also does crowning. The other dentist at Jln Ros Merah was frequented by my friend who took out a lot of teeth to make dentures.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder what's gonna happen when Singapore matches the rates and when the VEP is implemented on the Johor side.
Looks like the govt is not relenting.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Businesses feeling the crunch from rise in Causeway toll fees
By Loi Kar Yee and Monica Kotwani
POSTED: 08 Aug 2014 22:56
UPDATED: 08 Aug 2014 23:39

Six grocery shopkeepers Channel NewsAsia spoke with said their sales have dropped by at least 20 per cent since Singapore increased its vehicle entry permit for foreign registered vehicles to S$35.

SINGAPORE: Businesses on both sides of the Causeway on Friday (Aug 8) said sales have been affected since Malaysia's toll hikes and Singapore's increase in vehicle entry permit fees came into effect last week. This comes amid news that a review of Malaysia's toll hikes is unlikely to happen.

A car wash outlet along Taman Century in Johor Bahru washes about 50 Singaporean cars daily. However, as of noon on Friday, it had seen only about 10 customers from Singapore.

Singaporeans are also regular visitors at Johor's many eateries and shops selling local delicacies. One Bak Kut Teh eatery in JB said business has decreased between 30 and 60 per cent.

In Singapore, six grocery shopkeepers at Woodlands Centre Road told Channel NewsAsia their sales have dropped by at least 20 per cent since Singapore increased its vehicle entry permit for foreign registered vehicles to S$35.

These cars will have to pay the permit fee between 2am and 5pm on weekdays, and until 12pm on weekdays during the June and December school holidays.

According to shopkeepers, Malaysians often come to Singapore to buy instant noodles and canned food, which tend to be cheaper here, as well as fruits which customers say are fresher in Singapore.

Mr Wong, a grocery shopkeeper at Woodlands Centre Road, said: "If I come in on Saturday or Sunday, I don't have to pay S$35. I can use the S$35 to buy fruits or other things. But right now, I have to pay S$35. I haven't bought anything, but I've already paid S$35."

The Singapore Business Federation said it conducted a quick poll with about 20 of its approximately 20,000 members. Most said the toll fee hike would hit their business costs and could also result in shipment delays.

They said both the Singapore and Malaysian governments should consult the business community before implementing such hikes in the future.

- CNA/xk

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/businesses-feeling-the/1304262.html

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia mulls ways to mitigate toll hikes at JB checkpoint By Sumisha Naidu POSTED: 09 Aug 2014 00:20
………………KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian government has said it is looking at ways to mitigate the recent toll hikes at the Johor checkpoint, but a review of the toll rates is unlikely to happen for now. The Malaysian government raised toll charges on Aug 1, the same day Singapore increased levies for foreign-registered cars entering the Republic.
The moves have angered Malaysian residents and businesses, who feel they are the casualties in a tit-for-tat war between the two governments. Putrajaya said it is taking "great consideration" of the public's complaints, but Works Minister Fadillah Yusof told Channel NewsAsia a complete review of the toll rates is unlikely to happen.
He said the toll was long overdue, and was introduced only after a two-year study. The government will, however, improve and boost the use of public transport at the border, including introducing feeder buses to ferry workers into Singapore.
Malaysia's Works Ministry and the Land Public Transport Commission have been tasked with collecting data and public feedback. They will present the findings to Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin later this month.
- CNA/al

I believe a hike review could mean among other things increase in the frequency and capacity of public transport ....the findings for DPM could be just a passing motion to lend credence to the fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.