• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lesson from AWARE - Defending Core Values

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have refrained myself from commenting on the AWARE saga up till now, after the dusk has settled and new victory won by one of the group.

My congratulations to Ms Dana Lam whom I have the opportunity to know when she was preparing the book on last GE 2006 entitled "The Days of Being Wild". But I am more relieved that the victory is won for Singaporeans at large, not just women, but all true blue Singaporeans in which the very Core Value of our Nation as a Multi-religion and a Secular Nation in public sphere is being defended with much passion and spirit by all those who have attended the AWARE EOGM.

This episode is NOT about how a group of people with a hidden agenda carried out a coup in a NGO, in such a scheming and ambushing manner. Neither is it about Homosexuality and least, victory for the Pink Movement in Singapore. This episode is about how we, as a people of a Nation, view about the precious value of our Nation's foundation as a secular society with multi-religious people living in harmony.

Singaporeans are generally apathetic when it comes to NGO or political activism. Most of us are generally contended with life in Singapore although we always complain about many of the problems and inadequacies of government policies. But the AWARE saga must have raised some eyebrows that when there is a need or a calling for Singaporeans to stand up and be counted to defend what we believe as Core Values as a Nation, many people will become vocal and passionate about it.

It is ashame that the ruling party PAP has not taken this opportunity to make its stand clearly on this episode when it first surfaced. They have lost all secular moral courage to make a clear stand to defend our deep rooted consensus Core Value of a Secular Nation in a society of multi-religion.

If it can happen to a NGO in the public sphere that anybody from any religious segment could just scheme and carry out a coup to take over control of that organization just because such secular organization has different values as their religious one, wouldn't it be a possibility that it could happen to any ruling party that make laws that are against any religious group's belief too? A coup of the ruling party just to assert their religious values and teaching?

Many religion are against abortion. So is it acceptable for these religious groups of fundamental beliefs to plan a coup to wrestle control over the ruling party just to change the law to ban abortion?

This is something for us to think about as a Nation. Someone commented that such acts are just like religious terrorists. At first thought, I cautioned him about using such strong words but after much consideration, in essence, the intend to take over control of an organization or even a country just to impose their religious values unto others, is what religious terrorists are aiming to do! The only difference lies in the methodology, one is by coup of democratic means while the other by force in terms of armed struggle!

It is understandable that why PAP refused to come out straight to reiterate our Secular values for fear of losing support from the Christian community. However, as the ruling party, it should be thinking more about what is RIGHT for the Nation instead of putting party's interests as top priority in consideration. Of course, PAP is not stupid at all and they understand the implicit as well as explicit impact of this AWARE saga. This is why the media is being tasked to become a proxy battle front for them, against the Christian group.

Passion is what we need in our citizens to defend what is dearest to us as a Nation. The initial apathy among AWARE old members has taught all of us a painful lesson about Democracy - Democracy will fail miserably when it is left alone with apathy. Singaporeans should not be apathetic towards the Nation's development else we might just end up losers one day without even knowing why!

Active citizenry should be encouraged and we must not let our passion dies as a people for our Nation. For that to happen, we must first ensure the democratic system must be enhanced or developed.

I read from the papers that this year's National Day's theme would be our National pledge. And I would urge everyone of us to rethink about our current situation as compared to what we have embedded in our National Pledge.

While the AWARE members have basically raised up to defend our Core Values as a Secular Nation, I think there are more to be done for Singaporeans at large to re-enhanced our National Core Values embedded in our National Pledge.

Goh Meng Seng

Singapore's Pledge

We, the citizens of Singapore
Pledge ourselves as one united people
Regardless of race, language or religion
To build a democratic society
Based on justice and equality
So as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thot you did say something along the line of Aware should set up their organisation macham like PAP with the inner circle of elites and outer circle of peasants. You lost your credibility with me when you wrote that post.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Notice how much coverage the 154th gave to the saga? Imagine the Oppos are given the same coverage! Now u know why the Old Fart die die wanna keep a firm grip on it?

cowbehcowbu

Alfrescian
Loyal
mR GOH
IT IS OBVIOUS THAT BOTH GROUPS GOT AGENDAS...DIFFERENTLY......
ONE IS FUNDAMENTALIST XTIAN [MAY I USE THIS TERM]..THE OTHER IS EXTREME RIGHT LIBERALISR..[ NEUTRAL AND EVEN IMPLICITLE ACCEPT GAY AND HOMO ACTIVITIES..]
I THINK IN TRUE DEMOCRACY ..WE CAN HAVE A AWARE II....LET OUR SISTER CHOOSE WHICH TO JOINT..........JUST LIKE PAP AND OPPOSITIONS..

ONE HAD PLANNED AND AMBUSHED THE OLDER GUARDS...WHILE THE OTHER HAD USED BRUTE FORCE TO WRESTLE BACK CONTROL..[ MEMBERSHIP SHOT UP FROM 400 TO 3000!!!]

BOTH SET BAD EXAMPLES.......BOTH ARE EXTREME IN THEIR VIEWS AND VALUES

LETS HAVE A TRULY NEUTRAL AWARE II

AGREE?????????

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Active citizenry should be encouraged and we must not let our passion dies as a people for our Nation. For that to happen, we must first ensure the democratic system must be enhanced or developed.

you failed to realized that majority of nations with democratic ideals and active citizenships came from people with strong Christian faith or historical Christian backgrounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

it is God's calling that church got involved in AWARE to stamp out the rising influence of gays voices in the secular state.

only people who are touched by the God's words in the bible, will inspire themselves to take active citizenship to stem the tide of blinding road in the age of end times.

it is unfortunate that the interests of God has been seconded and played down by the "leadership" of the church, in the name of secular national interests.

oh i wonder if sgp will get severe retribution by God in the days/months to come.

maybe the lightning strike at the merlion, like other signs, is just coincidental?

Last edited:

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
you failed to realized that majority of nations with democratic ideals and active citizenships came from people with strong Christian faith or historical Christian backgrounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

it is God's calling that church got involved in AWARE to stamp out the rising influence of gays voices in the secular state.

only people which strong moral groundings such as being touched by the God's words in the bible, will inspire people to take active citizenship to stem the tide of losing moral grounds in the age of end times.

it is unfortunate that the interests of God has been seconded and played down by the "leadership" of the church, in the name of secular national interests.

oh i wonder if sgp will get more retribution by God in the days/months to come.

maybe the lightning strike at the merlion, like other signs, is just coincidental?

At 1st Pastor Hong said:

"It's not a crusade against the people but there's a line that God has drawn for us, and we don't want our nation crossing that line."

then after NCCS and Pappies step in, he "U-TURN" and said:

"I regret that this matter has caused concern and unhappiness. My actions on the pulpit have aroused some tension in this saga. I now stand corrected."

People like to make use of God's name to justified themselves. If not because of so many "higher authority" step in, and his "sisters" won, would he have admit he is wrong?

How many dumb fools believe he is right in the 1st place?

these people are simply blind, yet they keep insisting they are right. Not only that, they want the people around them to believe what they think is right.

God's name can happy happy be make use of, how useful and convenient.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's all a political game, and God is made a clown...

prepare for SGP to get it....

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
mR GOH
IT IS OBVIOUS THAT BOTH GROUPS GOT AGENDAS...DIFFERENTLY......
ONE IS FUNDAMENTALIST XTIAN [MAY I USE THIS TERM]..THE OTHER IS EXTREME RIGHT LIBERALISR..[ NEUTRAL AND EVEN IMPLICITLE ACCEPT GAY AND HOMO ACTIVITIES..]
I THINK IN TRUE DEMOCRACY ..WE CAN HAVE A AWARE II....LET OUR SISTER CHOOSE WHICH TO JOINT..........JUST LIKE PAP AND OPPOSITIONS..

ONE HAD PLANNED AND AMBUSHED THE OLDER GUARDS...WHILE THE OTHER HAD USED BRUTE FORCE TO WRESTLE BACK CONTROL..[ MEMBERSHIP SHOT UP FROM 400 TO 3000!!!]

BOTH SET BAD EXAMPLES.......BOTH ARE EXTREME IN THEIR VIEWS AND VALUES

LETS HAVE A TRULY NEUTRAL AWARE II

AGREE?????????

Membership shooting up from 400 to 3000 is akin to stuffing the ballot boxes (rigged election). The Christians were simply outnumbered by the liberals.

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Passion is what we need in our citizens to defend what is dearest to us as a Nation. The initial apathy among AWARE old members has taught all of us a painful lesson about Democracy - Democracy will fail miserably when it is left alone with apathy. Singaporeans should not be apathetic towards the Nation's development else we might just end up losers one day without even knowing why!

Active citizenry should be encouraged and we must not let our passion dies as a people for our Nation. For that to happen, we must first ensure the democratic system must be enhanced or developed."

Dear GMS,

My own sister was one of those women who made their way to Suntec and waited patiently to kick out that bunch of arrogant hijackers. Before this episode, she was just as apathetic as the average Singaporean towards politics and civil society. So what was the catalyst that sparked this passionate response?

She explained that:

1. The women who attended were driven by a sense of justice ie. to correct an obvious wrong.

2. The old guard's message was loud and clear. It was very easy to rally around that message.

3. The old guard stayed on message throughout the episode despite the opposition trying to cloud the issue with references to homosexuality etc.

So may I suggest that come the next GE, the opposition could:

1. Tap into that latent sense of justice that many Singaporeans harbour ie. pick something truly worthwhile to champion. Something that all Singaporeans can feel strongly about. Lofty idealistic terms like human rights etc. just don't cut it!

2. Construct a message that is crystal clear. Say what the problem is and what you propose as a solution. Make it an easy issue for Singaporeans to rally around.

3. Stay on message no matter what the opposition does. No backtracking, bickering amongst yourselves, balls dropping because of threats of law suits etc.

I left out details and examples (of possible things to champion)
Don't need to alert the PAP do we

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Membership shooting up from 400 to 3000 is akin to stuffing the ballot boxes (rigged election). The Christians were simply outnumbered by the liberals.

There is nothing rigged about this election
Nobody paid/forced those women to join
They simply found common ground with the old guard's position, which is their right
Also, note that many Christians sided with the old guard ie. this episode is not about Christians vs Liberals

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I thot you did say something along the line of Aware should set up their organisation macham like PAP with the inner circle of elites and outer circle of peasants. You lost your credibility with me when you wrote that post.

I am simply putting the fact that PAP, WP as well as NSP have a system of dual tier membership but there are problems with such system as well; i.e. leaders will try to entrench themselves by appointing members that support them as cadre or congress members.

I did not say such system is perfect. Whatever system you have, you will have to depend on the people in the organization to take responsibility to vote during their election of leaders.

NSP has amended their constitution to let Congress members to nominate normal members as Congress members as well. This is to prevent monopoly of Congress members by the CEC members. This is the second best solution to keep monopoly of power and maintaining the balance between infiltration power struggle vs monopoly of power by the few.

Goh Meng Seng

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The AWARE hijack is not the first atempt by the fundies.

If you remember, the first revolt by oragnised church movement began many years ago. That year was Presidential erections. That guy was blessed by some Church pastor or senior pastor to run for the erections.

LKY will face his worst nightmares when this group of vocal people become more organise.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
the AWARE saga was - Lesbians vs Christians ... :cool:

i feel that josie's group was there to grab AWARE's funds ... although they were also concerned abt AWARE actively promoting lesbianism ...

now that the lesbians/feminists have taken back control ... we normal women had better be careful ... as guys u may not realise this, but alot of these lesbians are getting very bold nowadays & try to convert women to their lifestyle or in public places, give women 'the eye' which is very offensive ... :mad:

homosexuals are asking the larger community to respect their lifestyle ... but are they respecting us ? if they were, they wouldnt try to promote it so blatantly ...

hillary888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lesson learned from Aware Saga? After voting, Losers always get lawsuits!

Under the constitution, the exco is not allowed to spend more than S$20,000 and if they do, they must consult members.

The exco that was voted out declared they had spent S$90,000 in the last month since they took power some two months ago.

An outraged member of AWARE said the money could be put to better use.

"I am concerned, in fact saddened, to see the amount of money spent on this event that could have been directed to better causes," said one AWARE member.

They said such "cheque book" mentality is unacceptable in a non-governmental organisation (NGO), where every cent counts.

Members said the new Exco has to be individually accountable for that money spent, so there is a high chance there could be a lawsuit coming up.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not a knn lesbian vs christian show. It has nothing to do with religion or sexual orientation.

It is everything about unethically taking over something that does not belong to you.

spring

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya, what is $90000.00 compared to $200 billions. Why nobody make noise.
$90000 concerns 250 members and now 3000.$240billions concerns 4million
people. Those pussies are making a mountain out of a molehill.

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
the AWARE saga was - Lesbians vs Christians ... :cool:

i feel that josie's group was there to grab AWARE's funds ... although they were also concerned abt AWARE actively promoting lesbianism ...

now that the lesbians/feminists have taken back control ... we normal women had better be careful ... as guys u may not realise this, but alot of these lesbians are getting very bold nowadays & try to convert women to their lifestyle or in public places, give women 'the eye' which is very offensive ... :mad:

homosexuals are asking the larger community to respect their lifestyle ... but are they respecting us ? if they were, they wouldnt try to promote it so blatantly ...

An attitude like yours will only sow the seeds for the next confrontation
suggest you learn to "live and let live"

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

sometimes it's not fair to comment..if you dun let us know your background...because you are with-holding your real agenda

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not a knn lesbian vs christian show. It has nothing to do with religion or sexual orientation.

It is everything about unethically taking over something that does not belong to you.

what do you mean belong to you?

should it belong to them in the first place?

i tot if you have interests then you volunteer and work for the organisation?

the leadership are elected by the members!

it should belong to all...not only a few...

i am surprised there is a sudden surged by "women" participation after this....

oh boy....let's hope they don't make the AWARE to become a lesbians org...which i think it probably will...

now what's worse? a pro family AWARE which really fight for all woman interests or Lez AWARE who are just interested in serving their selfish cause?

this country keep on getting all the shits....and why am not surprised?

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal

this is call "if you can win the argument, confuse them"

this whole issue is about separating religion from state. yet this bunch of people, in order to get things happening their way, conveniently used the gay & lesbians as their target.

look at all the gay/lesbian bashing on this forum & other internet forums & you will understand that eventhough josie/TSM & gang lost, they have succesfully confused the issue about separation of religion & politics.

this time is gays & lesbian, next time is which group? These people are playing with fire.