• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Bee Wah explains No Zoking Zone project

ChewCheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time for smokers to move out of the estate?

Lee Bee Wah

There's so much interest in NSS smoke-out zone so let me clarify how it works.

This is a pilot project by NEA/HPB in ONE RC zone. Residents can still smoke in their homes, the Designated Areas in coffeeshops. It is not a blanket no-smoking for all of NSS.

Thus, in this pilot project at Zone D there will be designated areas with bins for cigarette disposals, accompanied by a message on harmful effects of smoking etc. The main objective is to persuade residents not to smoke in void deck, corridors (where Smoking is already banned) or other open public areas in the zone.

So far, majority of the residents have been very supportive as this idea was conceived with NEA/HPB after receiving feedback from residents. Smoking is a health hazard which even some smokers recognised it but because they can’t kick the habit they continue to smoke. A father, for example, won’t puff his smoke into the face of his children. Why? Because he knows it is not healthy to let them breathe second hand smoke. Hence, if these smokers can recognise that smoking is bad, even they would support the concept of designated smoking areas.

We are working with NEA and the Health Promotion Board (HPB) to explore a pilot project in one of the precincts to make the area smoke-free with designated smoking points. I am supportive for smoke-free initiatives in terms of introducing a voluntary smoke-free ban in common areas of residential buildings ahead of the law, and actively advocates for smoke-free living among my residents. NEA is currently working out the details of the designated smoking points together with HPB. HPB is also stepping up efforts to educate residents and members of the public on the pilot project.

We hope that by having designated smoking corners, smokers will smoke at the designated corners and not in common areas, where most are prohibited by law.

The trial will be at one zone initially (Zone D).

The majority, I believe will support the non-smoking concept. So if we get the ground up approach with the majority on our side, then much of the hurdles will be overcome. Yes, I think the key is to be able to muster as many residents to come together and support the cause. I believe and I hope I have contributed to this spirit of residents bonding together for this good cause through my interaction with them and through my rapport with them and my ability to win their support.

For smokers, they can continue smoking in their own homes and designated areas.

Together, we hope to have a cleaner and greener living environment for residents in Nee Soon South. This is a project by residents of Nee Soon South for residents Of Nee Soon South and it will not be rolled out to other constituencies.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
" A father, for example, won’t puff his smoke into the face of his children. Why? Because he knows it is not healthy to let them breathe second hand smoke "

Then you are forcing the father to smoke at home , because you can't smoke in void deck or corridor ? Wtf ??? !!!

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the Fuck they want??? Just fucking ban the sales of cigarette in Singapore to solve the problem... Put a sign here and there cost so much money!!!

I am a smoker which smoke from I can smoke everywhere and cost of 20 sticks at $2 to now $12 for 20 sticks and cannot smoke here and there!!!

Just fucking ban it!!! Is getting too expensive to get the fucking group of NEA workforce to think every now and than where to ban smoking!!!:rolleyes:

ChewCheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the rate, they might as well just dedicate an estate to be smoking estate and all smokers can move there.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the Fuck they want??? Just fucking ban the sales of cigarette in Singapore to solve the problem... Put a sign here and there cost so much money!!!

I am a smoker which smoke from I can smoke everywhere and cost of 20 sticks at $2 to now $12 for 20 sticks and cannot smoke here and there!!!

Just fucking ban it!!! Is getting too expensive to get the fucking group of NEA workforce to think every now and than where to ban smoking!!!:rolleyes:

Sillypore gahbrament wayang only. To them collecting tax from importing cigarette and wine is a very "lucrative business".
They will never put a ban on importing them. They will only keep on increasing tax on one hand but at the same time place ads to warn smoker that it's bad.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's why papaya only talk no action b'cos if take action
ban cigarette, than duty from cigarette is multi million dollars tax?
Than how? So the, papaya gahmen wayang put poster here and there
Ban smoking here and there!

Few months later another chia liao bee minister will announce now we ban
smoking in this area blur blur...Shitty Times will take pictures of the chia liao
bee minsters in the front page! that's what shitty times is good for!

Chewing gum can ban b'cos its so cheap no tax some more!
Nothing is lost to the papaya gahmen

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NEA don't even have enough officers to deal with dengue so there won't be enough officers to enforce the non smoking zones. There are still plenty of smokers smoking at bus stops. Toilet woman ideas won't work.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ban the sale of cigarettes? And give up on all that lucrative tax/stamp duty income?

PAP govt give up on easy money and show genuine concern for helping smokers quit?

In an alternate universe of a parallel dimension, perhaps. But not in this world. :wink:

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i agree with the bros here. the gahment will never give up on the lucrative tobacco tax. ban smoking and no more tobacco tax revenue.