• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lebanese patriarch to Hezbollah: We refuse to be sacrificial lambs for cult of death

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Maronite Patriarch has been a vocal opponent of Hezbollah and the escalation of violence between Israel and Hezbollah.​

https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-784068

Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Al-Rai holds a mass in the memory of victims of August 4, 2020 Beirut port blast, on the eve of the third anniversary of the explosion, in Beirut, Lebanon August 3, 2023. (photo credit: MOHAMED AZAKIR/REUTERS)
Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Al-Rai holds a mass in the memory of victims of August 4, 2020 Beirut port blast, on the eve of the third anniversary of the explosion, in Beirut, Lebanon August 3, 2023.

Lebanon's Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros al-Rahi spoke out against the escalation of tensions between Hezbollah and Israel on Sunday, saying that residents of southern Lebanon had told the Maronite Church that they refuse to be "sacrificial lambs" for a "culture of death" in an apparent criticism of Hezbollah's escalation along the border.

"The people of the border villages in the south express to us their pain at the state’s abandonment of them and of its duties and responsibilities towards them," said Rahi in his Sunday sermon. "They, both old and young, are living through the brunt of the war imposed on them and rejected by them, as they consider that Lebanon and the Lebanese have nothing to do with it."

The patriarch stressed that the residents of southern Lebanon told him that they are, "experiencing the psychological pressures of war" and that children in the area are unable to go to school due to the conflict.

"[Southern residents] continue: 'You can imagine the extent of failure, chaos, and anxiety resulting from this bitter reality, and its repercussions on the educational and psychological future of our children,'" added Rahi.

"They add: Allow me to say it loud and clear - not as an abandonment of national or Arab issues, but rather out of my honesty with myself - I refuse to make myself and my family members hostages, human shields, and sacrificial lambs for failed Lebanese policies, and for the culture of death that has brought nothing but imaginary victories and shameful defeats to our country.”

Screenshot of IDF video showing Israeli jets attacking Hezbollah infrastructure in southern Lebanon, January 9, 2024 (credit: IDF SPOKESPERSON'S UNIT)
Enlrage image
Screenshot of IDF video showing Israeli jets attacking Hezbollah infrastructure in southern Lebanon, January 9, 2024 (credit: IDF SPOKESPERSON'S UNIT)

Rahi vs. Hezbollah

Rahi has been a vocal opponent of Hezbollah and the escalation of violence between Israel and Hezbollah.

At the end of December, Rahi rejected the extension of the war between Israel and Hamas to southern Lebanon, saying, "It must be stopped, and the Lebanese people, their homes, and their livelihoods must be protected, as they have not yet emerged from the disastrous results of the Lebanese war. We demand the removal of any rocket launcher planted between homes in southern towns that would require a devastating Israeli response."

Advertisement

The patriarch called on everyone to "respect Security Council Resolution 1701 with all its provisions for the good of Lebanon."

In the past, Rahi has called for the Lebanese Army to disarm Hezbollah and take back control of southern Lebanon.