• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Lawrence Wong is Pride of Tiong Hainanese! Hokkiens and Hakkas jealous?

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore PM Lawrence Wong’s ancestral ties spark Chinese social media interest: ‘the pride of Hainan’​

• Online material from videos to commentary highlight new prime minister’s past comments on China as well as his supposed ancestral home in Wenchang, Hainan
  • Observers note the bump in online interest reflects blurred boundaries between Chinese nationality and ethnicity

Singapore

+ FOLLOW
Maria Siow

Maria Siow
+ FOLLOW
Published: 9:11pm, 16 May 2024
Why you can trust SCMP

Listen to this article

Soon after Lawrence Wong was sworn in on Wednesday as Singapore’s fourth prime minister since the city’s independence, a mix of online content from media members and observers found its way onto Chinese social media.
A video titled “Greetings from Hainan Island in China” appears to show a banner being put up in front of the Huang ancestral hall in Wenchang, Hainan – said to be Wong’s ancestral home – congratulating him on his appointment to Singapore’s top job.
Wong’s family name is Huang in Chinese.
6bb24803-3929-4112-941e-cf78d2cf9018_77a7e0c9.jpg

The Huang ancestral hall in Wenchang, Hainan. Photo: SCMP Pictures
Articles and videos mostly traced Wong’s ancestral ties to Beishan village in Huiwen town, noting his father first migrated from Hainan to Malaysia. Some clips highlight Wong’s growing-up years in Singapore, from his education milestones to career achievements.

Others, such as one by the Hainan Business Association in Shenzhen, detailed Wong’s personal interests and hobbies, such as guitar playing and riding motorbikes.

Describing Wong as a “grass-roots leader”, Tian Yuzheng from China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations said in an article posted by his institute’s WeChat account that as the first prime minister born after the island-state’s independence, Wong would continue the republic’s achievements.
“He will also promote Sino-Singapore relations to keep pace with the times and move forward steadily,” Tian said.
One video quoted Wong as saying “never bet on the decline of China”, a comment made after the then deputy prime minister wrapped up a visit to the country last year.
EVERY FRIDAY

Discover news and insights on women trailblazers, social issues and gender diversity in Asia
GET OUR NEWSLETTER
By registering, you agree to ourT&CandPrivacy Policy
Wong was pointing to the tremendous scale of China’s economy and hailing its many different strengths in advanced manufacturing and in the green economy.
ac9f94e7-0f81-4e3c-91d8-f75a5e7b6fd0_f7453b07.jpg

Lawrence Wong strumming a guitar. Wong became Singapore’s new prime minister on Wednesday. Photo: Danny Loong
Chinanews.com, a Chinese news portal, wrote of how Wong had “shed tears in public”, referring to how the former national development minister became overwhelmed with emotion in 2020 when citing how Singapore’s healthcare workers and various sectors banded together to fight the Covid pandemic.

Comments from Chinese online users ranged from admiration – how “diligent and outstanding overseas Chinese can thrive anywhere in the world” – to hometown adoration on how “Wong is really the pride of Hainan”.
Others expressed interest in whether Wong could speak Hainanese, and how Singapore had thrived “because of these exceptional overseas ethnic Chinese leaders”.
The lineage of Singapore’s founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, as well as his son and Wong’s predecessor Lee Hsien Loong, can be traced back to Dapu in Guangdong, while that of Goh Chok Tong – the nation’s second prime minister after the elder Lee – can be tracked to Yongchun in Fujian province.

Blurred lines​

Luwei Rose Lüqiu, associate professor at Baptist University’s Department of Journalism, said Chinese netizens had once again shown a keen interest in foreign leaders with Chinese heritage.
“This is not the first instance of such focus,” noted the former long-time television journalist, citing former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose ancestral home is in Meizhou, in Guangdong province.
“[Thaksin] was also the subject of similar attention,” Lüqiu said, adding that the connection to Chinese heritage made these leaders “more relevant” to, and “heightened interest” among, Chinese online users.
There was also a sense of pride in seeing someone of Chinese descent lead a foreign country, Lüqiu said, noting such individuals were often regarded as “Chinese sons and daughters at home and abroad”.
54ec9421-5e71-4276-a5aa-ce85a88aa517_1a090613.jpg

Articles and videos online have traced Lawrence Wong’s ancestral ties to Beishan village in Huiwen town. Photo: SCMP Pictures
“This sentiment aligns with the sometimes vague official narratives that attempt to blur the boundaries and differences between Chinese citizens … and ethnic Chinese who are citizens of other countries.
“Understanding these dynamics can provide deeper insights into the cultural and nationalistic underpinnings of such public interest,” Lüqiu said.
China has often stated that there are about 60 million people of Chinese origin living abroad across nearly 200 countries and regions.
In 2022, speaking during the 100th anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party’s United Front – the body responsible for dealing with non-party individuals and groups both inside and outside China – Chinese President Xi Jinping called the front “an important magic weapon for uniting all Chinese sons and daughters at home and abroad to realise the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation”.
9873ddbc-d95e-475e-938f-553cc0058cff_ac707f82.jpg

Singapore’s fourth prime minister, Lawrence Wong, meets supporters at a community event after the swearing-in ceremony on Wednesday. Photo: Reuters
Koh Chin Yee, managing director of Singapore Eye, a leading Chinese-language social media platform in Singapore, said “it is not unexpected” that the Hainan Wenchang Huang clan commemorated Wong’s inauguration.
Koh noted that although “Mr Wong is a Singaporean Chinese”, the ongoing rise in Chinese online interest in Singapore’s leader reflected a celebration of “kinship and ethnic ties”.
“It would worry me if the community in Wenchang chooses to ignore this important chapter, which is equally relevant to both Singapore and Wenchang. [That] would be a show of intentionally keeping a distance, and that implies distrust,” he said.

meaninglesslife

Stupidman
Loyal
Cheebye commie chinks. Still stuck with tribal mentality when this has nothing to do with them.
exactly. like the other day, a middle age couple tiong people come to ask me for directions inside mrt station. so I good mood that day help them find where they go and advise them which exit to take...then the lady started asking me if I am a local Chinese because I can speak Mandarin but don't look more than 50% Chinese. I told her Singapore is multiracial and walked off...

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
exactly. like the other day, a middle age couple tiong people come to ask me for directions inside mrt station. so I good mood that day help them find where they go and advise them which exit to take...then the lady started asking me if I am a local Chinese because I can speak Mandarin but don't look more than 50% Chinese. I told her Singapore is multiracial and walked off...

You ask the lady "How much?" in Mandarin :smile:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reminds me of another PM of hainanese descent. Badawi.
When he became PM, an entire village from Hainan came for a visit.

Bangali

Alfrescian
Loyal
So Singapore also belongs to the CCP because we are Chinese majority? As always, the Communist is up to no good. :FU:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
jialat! ...

十个海南九个叮 一个唔叮发神经 ...

sinkies muz set their minds 2 sexpect ze erratic, eccentric n anomalous from their noo pee am ...