• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Korea Cars - Be Beware of!

ho_seh_liow

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was reported in the Korean news in Korean lang that certain cars have the defect of automatic engine trip and shut down while cruising on the high way.
This news has so far not been reported in any English newspaper in Korea.

Though no maker has been clearly identified, the news footage showed the symbol of Hyundai Motors. There are over 700 reported cases of engine trip/shut down so far.

I am trying to upload the news footage (in Korean) but unable to so far.

Please be aware of this phenomenon of Korean cars.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's not just about Korean cars.

some of the cars from Volkswagon aka the MK6 Golf also have this sort of issue. this is for engine stalling out. last i check, there's at least 3 incident in recent months.
http://vagsg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26118

then there's the DSG gearbox popping into netural. this is a known issue.
http://www.boston.com/cars/newsandreviews/overdrive/2009/08/volkswagen_orders_dsg_recall.html
Volkswagen orders DSG recall
Email|Link|Comments (8) Posted by Clifford Atiyeh August 20, 2009 12:15 PM

Volkswagen today said it was issuing a voluntary recall of 13,500 cars equipped with the company's dual-clutch automatic to inspect a possible faulty temperature sensor in the transmission. The affected models are the Jetta sedan and wagon, GTI, and Eos made between September 2008 through this month.

The company said that the sensor failure "could result in illuminated warning lamps in the dashboard, and in rare instances the transmission may shift into neutral."

The recall comes weeks after a July 17 investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration into "loss of power" problems associated with the DSG transmission. The affected cars involved 2008 and 2009 Eos, GTI, Jetta, and R32 models.

ilovechery

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was reported in the Korean news in Korean lang that certain cars have the defect of automatic engine trip and shut down while cruising on the high way.

Though no maker has been clearly identified, the news footage showed the symbol of Hyundai Motors. There are over 700 reported cases of engine trip/shut down so far.

China cars are far more worst bro!:biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
all cars made by humans, humans makes mistakes...

defect is unavoidable...

got recall or not? cannot be fixed meh?

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal

I had a Renault Scenic sometime back in the early 2000 and the engine died several times while I was cruising on the highway. Despite having sent the car back to the agent on numerous occasions to rectify the problem, it just kept coming back.

They replaced everything they could including the dashboard - the ECU and a whole bunch of electronic stuffs come attached to the dashboard as a single unit. My odometer was reset several times through my 12 months of ownership and when I finally sold it, it read around 3000km.

And the problem still existed when I sold it.

So, it's not a new issue that plagues only Korean cars. A Porsche 944 I once owned even had the airbags deployed in my face when I was braking heavy on a track - imagine that.

ho_seh_liow

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I am trying to point out is that Korean cars are inferior to Japanese.
Japanese technology is way ahead of Korea's. And the Japanese are modest and not arrogant compared to the Koreans.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing new or strange. It can happen to any make - Honda or Opel. These are the two make that I experiences many years back.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I am trying to point out is that Korean cars are inferior to Japanese.
Japanese technology is way ahead of Korea's. And the Japanese are modest and not arrogant compared to the Koreans.

The Japanese has been building cars around WWII whereas the Koreans only started a good decade or two later.

Besides, we only started seeing Hyundai exporting their makes in the past 2 decades.

If you looked at the first Sonatas to hit our shores and compare it with the Sonatas of today, you'll see that Hyundai actually improved their product much faster then their Japanese counterparts.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any fault can happen to any make. I had a Lancer years back which will stall occasionally as I move from stationary.. and it was an auto :biggrin:

holyman

Alfrescian
Loyal
not a racist comment here, but based on the traits of the Malays, who are better in art and technical skills, and who are passionate about stuff (re: spend lots of time on things they like and gives lots of TLC as well) the best make would be Proton... and I have owned a wira and campro...i would say one of the most reliable car in SG...as for korean cars, they are catching up with the Japanese, the only difference now is really the FC and the OMV...

ho_seh_liow

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Japanese has been building cars around WWII whereas the Koreans only started a good decade or two later.

Besides, we only started seeing Hyundai exporting their makes in the past 2 decades.

If you looked at the first Sonatas to hit our shores and compare it with the Sonatas of today, you'll see that Hyundai actually improved their product much faster then their Japanese counterparts.

Of course, the Koreans are great copycats not only in Motor technology. Everything from cars, ships, electronics products,...even company makeup, they have been following the Japanese models.