• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

kong 'jiao' wei

konglanjiaowei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Who's in charge of bird nuisance?
By Ng Puay Leng | Posted: 27 December 2011 1951 hrs
display_image.php

SINGAPORE: Birds continue to be a source of problem in areas of dense population in Singapore but as Channel NewsAsia finds out, it's been a challenge pinning down the relevant authorities in charge of the problem.

Crows come under the purview of the National Environment Agency (NEA) while the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) handles complaints of nuisance with pigeons.

But it gets a little complicated when it comes to mynahs.

When Channel NewsAsia visited a coffee shop at Bishan Street 11, mynahs were seen picking at leftovers.

Stall holders said the number of mynahs in their coffee shop has more than doubled in the past two years.

And when they approached the NEA and AVA, both agencies said they are not in charge of handling the birds.

Both the NEA and AVA confirmed this with Channel NewsAsia.

This has left the coffee shop owner with no choice, but to resort to some creative methods to fend off the birds.

"In the past, we used the reflection of CDs to scare the mynahs away," Bishan coffee shop owner Hong Qi Wei.

"But after the second week, they came back. So now, we're trying a new method. We're using fake crows to scare away the mynahs."

The NEA has seen 1,796 complaints regarding crows as of November this year -- 100 fewer, compared to the number last year.

The AVA on the other hand, said it saw an increase in the number of complaints relating to pigeons.

As of October, there were reports of 560 complaints, exceeding the 360 received last year.

- CNA/wk

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Government agencies only know how to play Tai-Chi when problems come, but quick to take credit when problem solved. That is why I say we should reduce the size of our government and fired these good-for-nothing civil servants and let people take responsibilities for themselves cos by the time the government decide to act, too late liao.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After stupid authority play Tai Chi. I sure tomorrow peasant will make noise. Next few day will be hot topic.
Because who will be in charge of the bird? Report to this and that department all play Tai Chi and bo chap.
Standby to be hit by the peasant. Let see how LHL and NEA comment in next few day.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very apt title for this thread. PAP has "kong jiao wei" all along but it's just that in this case since it involves birds, it's so appropriate.

Anyway, it's good that all these are happening so quickly one after another. The MRT incidents, the Orchard Road floods and now birds. Shows up how incompetent the govt is. The only thing they are good at and act promptly is when collecting money from us. Hope more of such incidents happen and gather momentum to cause irreversible damage to PAP's credibility and integrity.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tai-chi Experts Are All In Sinkiesland

zigmesopot.jpg

Devil Within said:
Government agencies only know how to play Tai-Chi when problems come, but quick to take credit when problem solved. That is why I say we should reduce the size of our government and fired these good-for-nothing civil servants and let people take responsibilities for themselves cos by the time the government decide to act, too late liao.

All lazy, stupid and arrogant people will love this kind of jobs by spending precious money and time to do nothing worthy. Air-con blasting the huge space of these ziggurats out of tax payers monies - very comfortable indeed.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Government agencies only know how to play Tai-Chi when problems come, but quick to take credit when problem solved.

bro,

i advocate no wastage of food and being frugal.

couple of observations made by me is that
1. Sinkies tend to order too much and lots of food go to waste.
2. Sinkies tend to wait for others or the cleaner aunties/uncles to clear the tables for them.
3. Sinkies don't stack up the plates & bowls after their meals.

if Sinkies had not ordered too much, food doesn't go to waste, food scraps would be reduced to a minimal, birds go else where to find food.
i wouldn't call for the culling of the birds but to reflect on our dining habits.

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Plenty of China birds & China dogs flying & barking around! Used to have just Indian mynah problems, now plenty of Indian crows problems also lah! So who should settle these problems? The NEA, ICA or SPCA?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, have to agree. I have seen wastage which I sometimes cannot believe. Also seen kids playing with their food with parents next to the kids. Also believe that HDB erred by allowing coffeeshop to allow stacking of dirty dishes and washing of these outside the premises. Previously nothing outdoors. Birds start from dishes places outside and move inside.

bro,

i advocate no wastage of food and being frugal.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, have to agree. I have seen wastage which I sometimes cannot believe. Also seen kids playing with their food with parents next to the kids. Also believe that HDB erred by allowing coffeeshop to allow stacking of dirty dishes and washing of these outside the premises. Previously nothing outdoors. Birds start from dishes places outside and move inside.

every time lining up in a food court in sg i would ask the stranger behind me if heshe's willing to share fried hokkien mee with me. the stare afterwards would have frightened away the most persistent pontianak.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bird's Beijing 101

0629bird02.jpg

food scraps would be reduced to a minimal, birds go else where to find food.
i wouldn't call for the culling of the birds but to reflect on our dining habits.

Birds just love these leftovers. They don't have go far to be fed. One strange thing that I did observe is that a few such birds that I had seen had balding problems. So, it is those stuff that we are eating that is causing a widespread balding phenomenon ?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Re: Bird's Beijing 101

So, it is those stuff that we are eating that is causing a widespread balding phenomenon?

i'm clueless about this balding phenomenon in the bird communities, but i do see balding mynahs around M'sia as well.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Bird's Beijing 101

0629bird02.jpg

Birds just love these leftovers. They don't have go far to be fed. One strange thing that I did observe is that a few such birds that I had seen had balding problems. So, it is those stuff that we are eating that is causing a widespread balding phenomenon ?

This is middaybird.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you can ask the owner to provide a smaller portion or pack the leftovers home :smile::smile::smile:

no home and dog in sg so no point packing doggie bag. stall owner is a robotic nut job thus cannot adjust portions out of hisher programmed automation. sgd4 small sgd5 large. nothing smaller. robot will kpkb if you request for customization, especially fist sized meals. better to ask laukwaybu next in line to tah pau home together. dessert and tea provided.

Last edited:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkie peasants are also another specie of birds.

So which department take care of the nuisance from this specie?:biggrin: