• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kitchen appliance that will improve HEALTH

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As an old guy I'm always keeping an eye out to improve my health. Something that I overlooked was getting a JUICER:eek:

It really makes sense since you don't need any cooking skills. Just need to get the veggies/fruits and the time to juice. Since no cooking is involved, you maximise the nutrients you are getting from fruits/veggies.
The idea to get a juicer came from reading a book on the "Gerson Therapy". If you have a health problem like diabetes, cancer, etc I recommend you read the book. It is a diet based treatment.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Gerson-Th...77013&sr=8-1&keywords=the+gerson+therapy+book

There is a Youtube clip here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quuvi6Gvvmc

The book is more detailed & includes the recipes. I got my copy from MPH in JB for under RM$40
I was also influenced after seeing the video "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead". You can watch it free on Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0pSnp0Xs8.

I'll be using organic fruits/vegetables to maximise the benefits from juicing. Even if you use non-organic veggies/fruits you will be better of juicing than not juicing.
If you are looking at juicers I recommend you avoid those centrifuge models that are so common in stores because you get a lower yield & quality. Go with those masticating juicers like Hurom, Omega, Champion,...
A good source of reviews is youtube e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSFz8Q1nn8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPDIKfulgg

You will get a higher yield & quality juice with the slower masticating juicers. The slower juicers are not as noisy & do not oxidise the juice.

One of the hardest things about juicing is finding organic produce. There is a company in Spore that will deliver organic produce for $50/week to your doorstep. They also sell juicers. You can find them here http://sgorganic.sg/
They also sell juicers. You will get further discounts if you can commit to a few months of their home delivery service.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm thinking of getting an air fryer

Prices of the Phillips Airfryer can now be bought cheaper because competing products can be found e.g T-Fals Actifry. Wait a while longer & there will probably be be even more cheaper alternative products available.
From a health standpoint frying even with minimal oil is not healthy.

Juicing on the other hand is much healthier with many of the enzymes found in fruits/veggies preserved because low heat is used when juicing.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
My wife runs the kitchen, so I do not know the equipment we use, but I've been getting ABC juice (Apple-Beet-Carrot) every morning for the last year or so and its replaced my morning coffee. She says it good for me, and I just listen; I've stopped coffee for a couple of months now already and don't miss it.

Cheers!

PrinceCharming

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an old guy I'm always keeping an eye out to improve my health. Something that I overlooked was getting a JUICER:eek:

If you really wish to get the most nutrients and flavanoids out of fruit, don't ever think of putting it through a juicer.

If possible, eat fruit whole, within 10 to 15 minutes of cutting it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you really wish to get the most nutrients and flavanoids out of fruit, don't ever think of putting it through a juicer.

If possible, eat fruit whole, within 10 to 15 minutes of cutting it.

When I juice I can consume more carrots, celery, Kale,...in liquid form than if I were to eat the actual fruits & veggies. It's also more palatable when you mix carrots or green apples with Kale.
According to the Gerson Therapy it takes the body less energy to process the juices because the juicer has already broken the plant fibres.

You can of course eat the veggie/fruits by using a blender. Eating has the advantage in that you also get the fibre.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone heard of drink potato juice for health?
Me not trying to start a soursop craze.

Potato juice is good for purifying the skin. The juices is suppose to contain potassium, sulfur, phosphorous & chlorine.

When mixed with carot & celery it will help with gout.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How do you juice a potato??

I haven't tried juicing one yet. Actually never thought that potatoes were juiceable until I read about it in the user manual of my juicer.

I plan to juice greens such as kale, celery, broccoli, spinach, wheat grass, beet roots,.... the healthy stuff.

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same way you juice an apple....best if with skin on

All potatoes contain substances known as glycoalkaloids. The most common in potatoes are solanine and chaconine. Light reacts with these substances to turn potato flesh green. The green parts of a potato are a guide to where these substances tend to accumulate which is just below the potato skin. Ingested in large quantities these toxic compounds could lead to coma or even death. In smaller quantities the most likely effects are diarrhoea, headaches and stomach cramps.

Fortunately these toxic substances are eliminated by thorough cooking. Solanine is the toxic substance found in deadly nightshade which indicates the potential seriousness of eating uncooked potatoes which are, in any case, hard to digest and unpleasantly flavoured. The only recent cases of solanine poisoning lined to potatoes have been the result of drinking potato leaf tea or green potatoes. When potatoes trun green it is an indication of higher concentrations of solanine and these parts should be cut out or the potato discarded without eating even after it has been cooked.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
blender is better. squeezing the juice out leaves nutrients and fiber behind in the pulp. bought a jack lalanne juicer, and it's now sitting in the closet..... idle. blender is being used everyday.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

It really makes sense since you don't need any cooking skills. Just need to get the veggies/fruits and the time to juice. Since no cooking is involved, you maximise the nutrients you are getting from fruits/veggies.
The idea to get a juicer came from reading a book on the "Gerson Therapy". If you have a health problem like diabetes, cancer, etc I recommend you read the book. It is a diet based treatment.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Gerson-Th...77013&sr=8-1&keywords=the+gerson+therapy+book

There is a Youtube clip here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quuvi6Gvvmc

The book is more detailed & includes the recipes. I got my copy from MPH in JB for under RM$40
I was also influenced after seeing the video "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead". You can watch it free on Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0pSnp0Xs8.

I'll be using organic fruits/vegetables to maximise the benefits from juicing. Even if you use non-organic veggies/fruits you will be better of juicing than not juicing.
If you are looking at juicers I recommend you avoid those centrifuge models that are so common in stores because you get a lower yield & quality. Go with those masticating juicers like Hurom, Omega, Champion,...
A good source of reviews is youtube e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSFz8Q1nn8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPDIKfulgg

You will get a higher yield & quality juice with the slower masticating juicers. The slower juicers are not as noisy & do not oxidise the juice.

One of the hardest things about juicing is finding organic produce. There is a company in Spore that will deliver organic produce for $50/week to your doorstep. They also sell juicers. You can find them here http://sgorganic.sg/
They also sell juicers. You will get further discounts if you can commit to a few months of their home delivery service.

Thank you johnny333 for this thread. I've known the Gerson Therapy thing 10 years ago and I believe its very beneficial for good health. At that time I bought a very big slow juicer which I used until today and I guess its about time to change to a more compact one. Saw the Hurom youtube that yo posted and also found out its available in Thailand selling at 13,900 baht or S$560. Will go get one this week. Thanks again I didn't know slow juicer had become so compact and convenient.

terry1965

Alfrescian
Loyal
The gerson theraphy has been around a long time already, now you can get the slow juicers from best Denki, about 239 only,. I bought mine from amazon. There is also a shop selling the gerson theraphy and book, video VCD etc at tan boon liat building. it is the only shop there. For coffee enema there was a company that did this but now not allowed already. there is also a machine that does this enama, however if you go to the hospital , it is very expensive. I bought my slow Omega juicer from amazon, however i needed to buy the 230 to 110 vac adaptor. Not easy to get organic fruits here in singapore. so far juicing has been very good. Another health advise is to purchase virgin coconut oil from Philipines, it is very good. Not sure if there are any Gerson qualified doctors in singapore.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The gerson theraphy has been around a long time already, now you can get the slow juicers from best Denki, about 239 only,. I bought mine from amazon. There is also a shop selling the gerson theraphy and book, video VCD etc at tan boon liat building. it is the only shop there. For coffee enema there was a company that did this but now not allowed already. there is also a machine that does this enama, however if you go to the hospital , it is very expensive. I bought my slow Omega juicer from amazon, however i needed to buy the 230 to 110 vac adaptor. Not easy to get organic fruits here in singapore. so far juicing has been very good. Another health advise is to purchase virgin coconut oil from Philipines, it is very good. Not sure if there are any Gerson qualified doctors in singapore.

Whenever I feel lousy or like I had too much rich food and or alcohol I will do 3 to 4 straight days of coffee enema at the comfort of my home. If not I still do it once a week for maintenance. I find it beneficial for me especially too much alcohol.

Funny you mentioned virgin coconut oil, I assumed you mean cold pressed too. See this,

I just too this photo off the desk of the hotel room I'm staying in Pattaya, I don't leave home without it. See the zebra brand stainless steel soup spoon? I drink with that. One spoon in the morning before breakfast and whenever convenient like in office will also take a spoon before munch and dinner. whenever I'm on the go and no time for coffee enema, I'll take 2-3 spoon full of it in the morning and will go purge very quickly.

Something I recently did with coconut oil is coconut oil mouth pulling, its basically swishing a small amount of it in your mouth and around the teeth, supposed to improve dental health. Google it and many articles about it.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you johnny333 for this thread. I've known the Gerson Therapy thing 10 years ago and I believe its very beneficial for good health. At that time I bought a very big slow juicer which I used until today and I guess its about time to change to a more compact one. Saw the Hurom youtube that yo posted and also found out its available in Thailand selling at 13,900 baht or S$560. Will go get one this week. Thanks again I didn't know slow juicer had become so compact and convenient.

Have you consider a Vita-Mix machine,
which liquefies fruit and ice in 20 seconds to make a smoothie.
I bought one at the Canadian National Exhibition, years ago.
It can make smoothie, juice (including the nutritious part / pulp of the fruit),
or make soup in 5 minutes.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Have you consider a Vita-Mix machine,
which liquefies fruit and ice in 20 seconds to make a smoothie.
I bought one at the Canadian National Exhibition, years ago.
It can make smoothie, juice (including the nutritious part / pulp of the fruit),
or make soup in 5 minutes.

Thanks Charlie99. It seemed that this is also available here in Thailand as the website suggest. I'll have a look at this.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Charlie99. It seemed that this is also available here in Thailand as the website suggest. I'll have a look at this.

In the morning, on alternate days when I am not eating a red grapefruit, I will use the Vita Mix to make a smoothie which comprised of a cup of OJ, one orange, one banana, a few strawberries, some blueberries, and a few ice cubes, and it is more than enough for my spouse and I.

Sometimes, use it to make soup, water and soup mix, or chicken stock, with some broccoli stems, tomato, carrot, a touch of curry powder.

Make "fruit ice" a healthy version of ice cream.

Over-ripe bananas will be juiced or "smoothied" with strawberries, OJ, and ice cubes, for children in mid or late afternoon.

Last edited: