• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kelly Poon's 'comment' on Taiwanese show draws criticism

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.divaasia.com/article/2377

2377.jpg;jsessionid=D024B59B6D031B28B2FBA91DF42F9BF7

Sat, Feb 28, 2009
The New Paper
Kelly Poon's 'comment' on Taiwanese show draws criticism
by Tan Kee Yun
SHE admits her command of Mandarin is not fantastic.

But local singer Kelly Poon insists she would never make her country look bad.

The 25-year-old is fending off criticisms that she had 'shamed Singapore' on a Taiwanese variety show.

On the show called Variety Big Brother, Kelly was among a group of celebrities who were asked by host Chang Fei to come up with a Chinese idiom to praise a performance they had witnessed.

The episode, which was recorded in October last year, was aired here last Sunday on StarHub Cable Channel 56.

On her turn, instead of coming up with an idiom, she said with gusto: 'Fei chang li hai!' ('very amazing' in Chinese).

When this was rejected, she allegedly retorted that 'there are no Chinese idioms in Singapore', reported Shin Min Daily News.

Singaporean netizens who had seen the show blasted her, saying that 'not only has she shamed herself, she has shamed the whole of Singapore'.

One netizen angrily pointed out that 'every Singaporean Chinese who went through their O-level examinations would at least have to learn and memorise 100 idioms', so how could she say there are no idioms in Singapore?

Popular forum Hardware Zone was rife with angry remarks too, ranging from how she has 'thrown Singapore's face away' to her being a 'national disgrace'.

But in a phone interview with The New Paper yesterday, she denied making the 'idiom' remark.

'It wasn't me'

'It wasn't from me at all,' she said with a sigh. 'It was another Taiwanese female actress. It's just that when we were recording that episode, I really didn't catch her saying it.

'If I had, of course I would have jumped up instantly and shouted an idiom on the spot to prove her wrong!'

She said: 'I went through the Singapore education system, studied Chinese as my mother tongue, and I would never put my own country in a state of shame.'

As for her boo-boo in offering an expression instead of an idiom, she said she had 'tried too hard' to be 'funny' by playing on Chang Fei's name - hence 'Fei chang li hai'.

'I wanted to create more laughs, but in retrospect, maybe I overdid it.'

To bloggers who have told her to 'brush up on her Chinese' before venturing into the Taiwan and China markets, Kelly said she 'is constantly working hard to master the language'.

The singer hopes Singaporeans do not take everything they see on Taiwanese programmes too seriously.

The incident echoed a similar one last February.

Taiwanese actor Shen Dong-Ching also incurred the wrath of Singapore netizens when he went on a popular Taiwanese talkshow and started mimicking 'the way Singaporeans speak English'.

Adding fuel to the fire was a Taiwanese English teacher, who claimed Singaporeans pronounced 'pregnant' as 'pegnant'.

Both subsequently apologised.

This article was first published in The New Paper.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
And Sinkie girl ! Another half filled bucket of Shit !

Half filled is half empty !

But with shit you got some really nasty stuff !

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway let's sanction a event for Taiwanese and Honkies Tong here in Singapore !

With our rules.

I will host it and create certain implicating ,embarassing moments too for them over national TV !

And sell the right to half the world watching it !

If you do not excecute grace towards foreigners and visitors. We will reciprocate !

Last edited:

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, sinkies' grasp of chinese has never been something this cuntry could have been proud of anyway.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
They got got strong culture but we are strong merceneries !

We sell out our fellow citizens, parents sons and daughters for riches !

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If some see a few Singaporeans speak bad English, they will think all Singaporeans speak bad English.

If some came across a few rude Taiwanese, they will assume all Taiwanese are rude peoples.

This kind of biased perceptions are ridiculous. ( The few peoples you see or encounter in your life doesn't represent everything )

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's fact that we don't use much mandarin here. will you be respected here when you use chinese proverbs in your conversation? so what if you can't say any chinese proverbs?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun be so hard on her.

my mandarin sucks too.

as for giving singapore shame, i think buying olympic medal are worse, so is making press freedom 144th.

that is shameful.

her? not.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
sinkie education has been ruined by lky's insistence on a dual language policy, the effects of which have been a population which can't even speak fluently in ONE language.