• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jobs for FTrash, Fxxx Off for NSman Thingy AGAIN!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Nov 23, 2008
YOUR PERSONAL ADVISER: CAREER
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>This arts grad finds it tough
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->Q I graduated from the National University of Singapore with an arts degree, majoring in social work and psychology. I was a private tutor and social worker for a few years but had no interest in these fields. I have looked for jobs in other lines but I can't even get an administrative job as I have no experience.
At 33, I think I'm too old for anyone to want to hire me even at the entry level.
Being out of a job these past few years have made it tougher, as I have to explain why I can't get a job. Should I pursue another degree which is more practical, such as accountancy? Or are there alternatives for job-seekers like me?

A The faculty which you graduated from emphasises the development of critical thinking and analytical skills, thus preparing graduates for a variety of jobs in various sectors. Pursuing another degree now may not be the most effective way to secure a job.
For starters, getting that
job you want requires a well-written curriculum vitae (CV) that leads to a meeting. Therefore, focus on writing a good CV and brushing up on your communication skills for that interview.
Sometimes, recommendations by friends or a headhunter can initiate the process, so it is useful to have a network of contacts.
Highlight any accumulated experience and knowledge, list these and emphasise your achievements. From this list, look out for your strengths and think how they can be applied in today's job market.
Your skills and experiences can be applied to many working situations.
Most importantly, start with a can-do attitude.
Eunice Chia-Lim
Team Leader
Energy & Infrastructure
PeopleSearch
Advice provided in this column is not meant as a substitute for comprehensive professional advice. E-mail questions to [email protected]

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Getting a job is tough for Arts degree holder. It is tougher still if you need to go back for reservist training every year.

In the current economic climate with fresh graduates coming out, retrenched staff looking for jobs, large number of FT govt scholars and countless FTs coming into S'pore to compete for entry and mid level jobs, our chances in life are pretty slim.