• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB charging RM20 for foreign car visiting ? Is it confirm ?

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just attended the wedding of a distance relative in Johor last weekend. NUS was so kind enough to sponsor him ALL the way from Bachelors to PhDs ( easily 6 digit sum ).

Don't even need to serve NS. After 18 year old he fork out zero cents all the way to PhD.

Singapore govt throw citizenship at him and his spouse and he is happily working in a research institute earning S$6000 a month while lazy Sinkies are grumbling and sulking at home ( and attending reservists of course )

Thumbs up to Singapore Govt! The 70% of the voters have done the rational voting every 5 years.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just attended the wedding of a distance relative in Johor last weekend. NUS was so kind enough to sponsor him ALL the way from Bachelors to PhDs ( easily 6 digit sum ).

Don't even need to serve NS. After 18 year old he fork out zero cents all the way to PhD.

Singapore govt throw citizenship at him and his spouse and he is happily working in a research institute earning S$6000 a month while lazy Sinkies are grumbling and sulking at home ( and attending reservists of course )

Thumbs up to Singapore Govt! The 70% of the voters have done the rational voting every 5 years.

Thanks for your very good example of SG Government screwing it's own Citizens by granting scholarships and citizenship to foreigners without paying a single cent, thus depriving a true blue citizen of an opportunity in his own country, I am sure that if a Singaporean who got this scholarship they would be jumping with joy, sinkies are grumbling and sulking because they know they have gone through rigorous and high pressure education system and yet they are bypassed by some kampung boy from a foreign country, the more you post the more the evidence you are giving that singaporeans are getting screwed by their own government.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your very good example of SG Government screwing it's own Citizens by granting scholarships and citizenship to foreigners without paying a single cent, thus depriving a true blue citizen of an opportunity in his own country, I am sure that if a Singaporean who got this scholarship they would be jumping with joy, sinkies are grumbling and sulking because they know they have gone through rigorous and high pressure education system and yet they are bypassed by some kampung boy from a foreign country, the more you post the more the evidence you are giving that singaporeans are getting screwed by their own government.

SG is high pressure because while we and our kids take the Singapore-Cambridge GCE exams, our Malaysian student counterparts take the iGCSE exams (hint: relatively easier) and find it relatively easier to score better grades too. I have this feeling that our Singapore-Cambridge exams have their difficulty level ramped up. I have not verified this but it is just a gut feel.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2396666

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG is high pressure because while we and our kids take the Singapore-Cambridge GCE exams, our Malaysian student counterparts take the iGCSE exams (hint: relatively easier) and find it relatively easier to score better grades too. I have this feeling that our Singapore-Cambridge exams have their difficulty level ramped up. I have not verified this but it is just a gut feel.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2396666

Yes and traitors like investor888 really slagging off Singaporeans for being unappreciative when our scholarships given away freely to less capable candidates, that is why I have always supported your decision to move North even though you have to face a lot of negatives.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your cousins who are living and working in the US (and for the past 15 years!!!) is hardly a comparable example to someone who lives in JB and works in SG. That is exactly what I meant by blindly applying policy without eyes opened to the realities. Your cousins are not even working in SG, and so they literally contribute nothing to SG economy. But here you are saying that by working in SG I do not contribute to SG at all? Seriously? Even more unbelievable is that you are saying that while I am working in Singapore I don't spend any money at all in Singapore? Or that the times when I bring my family into Singapore to visit parents that we don't spend any money on public transport to say the least? Is my money that is spent in SG somehow earmarked and mysteriously channelled into Malaysia? As for money given to parents who spend it, why would that not qualify as income spent in SG? Or must I personally pay for their meals and utilities to be considered as my spending? To think like that is ludicrous to say the least. As to the last part, if I had not moved to JB, would you even mention the part about me screwing myself? Or are you saying that even if I had not moved but remained in SG I still would be screwing myself...by allowing the govt to screw me?

You are wrong again.
You are working in SG and paid in SGD but you and family spend the money outside SG.
My cousins work in the US and paid USD but they live in the US and spend their money there.
So, how can you make this comparison?
You are just like all other guest / foreign workers, taking all their salaries out of SG, contributing nothing to the economy.
Spending that few dollars on your lunch and drinks during working days are literally peanuts in which all guest / foreign workers are also doing the same like yourself.
Taking your family to SG occasionally is almost like some tourists visiting and perhaps a single tourist from China spend more in one day than you spend over the whole month.
Since you don't spend much money in SG, how can you even want to get the rebates?
And since you and family had declared as non residents in SG so by logic, your whole family do not live in SG anymore so no spending, no GST rebates, so simple.

I have to repeat this once again - money given out is not your money anymore!
You may have gave some money to your aged parents ( hope you did and still do) and it is up to them to spend and when they do spend, it is their spending and no more yours.
However, you should be glad that they do get the GST rebates for spending your money.

Since I mentioned my cousins, I should make some clarifications here.
My cousin was graduated in the US about 15 years ago and immediately got a job there.
He works in the movie industry in the production dept. and is doing very well.
He stayed on because he loves his job and of cos the glittering lifestyle in LA and also there is no such job opportunity in SG.
Another cousin was graduated about 6 years ago and is working in the IT security dept. upon graduation, also based in LA.
There were actually job offers in SG for her but the remunerations and working conditions cannot match her current one so she declined.
Both of them are still working and living in the US for so long is not because they felt being screwed in SG and left.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are wrong again.
You are working in SG and paid in SGD but you and family spend the money outside SG.
My cousins work in the US and paid USD but they live in the US and spend their money there.
You are just like all other guest / foreign workers, taking all their salaries out of SG, contributing nothing to the economy.
Spending that few dollars on your lunch and drinks during working days are literally peanuts in which all guest / foreign workers are also doing the same like yourself.
Taking your family to SG occasionally is almost like some tourists visiting and perhaps a single tourist from China spend more in one day than you spend over the whole month.
Since you don't spend much money in SG, how can you even want to get the rebates?
And since you and family had declared as non residents in SG so by logic, your whole family do not live in SG anymore so no spending, no GST rebates, so simple.

You may have gave some money to your aged parents ( hope you did and still do) and it is up to them to spend and when they do spend, it is their spending and no more yours.
However, you should be glad that they do get the GST rebates for spending your money.

My cousin was graduated in the US about 15 years ago and immediately got a job there.
He stayed on because he loves his job and of cos the glittering lifestyle in LA and also there is no such job opportunity in SG.
Another cousin was graduated about 6 years ago and is working in the IT security dept. upon graduation, also based in LA.
There were actually job offers in SG for her but the remunerations and working conditions cannot match her current one so she declined.
Both of them are still working and living in the US for so long is not because they felt being screwed in SG and left.

The person making the wrong comparison isn't me. Your bringing in your cousins who leave halfway across the globe vs me who lived just across the causeway is already the wrong comparison. Your cousins who don't work in SG are the ones who do not contribute anything at all to SG economy vs me who work in SG is already the wrong comparison. Pray tell how my working in SG does not in the slightest way contribute to SG economy? You mean the taxes i paid over to IRAS is again earmarked as being not used by SG govt? And it isn't about how much I spend in SG anyway, first you said I spent zero, now you quibble about the amount I spend?

And saying money given out is not my money anymore is not anything different from saying that money spent is not my money anymore. So whatever point you are making is totally redundant to say the least. And it is still warped logic to even think that money given to parents to spend has nothing at all to do with me when eventually the money I earned was spent in SG? Or are you playing semantics here, that this is giving and not spending? If someone ask where I had spend my salary, you mean I should omit the portion given to my parents in SG because by your logic that does not qualify as spending and therefore my money did not contribute to SG economy at all? Or should I take the wind out of your sails by literally directly paying for my parent's meals and other things?

My parents get their GST rebates regardless of whether or not they spend any of the money which I give them, so I don't see the point you are making that I should be happy, as if they get some extra rebates because of what I had forgone.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a side note, the ringgit is crashing and year-end bonus is coming. Time to fully pay off the MY housing loan. hahaha

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The person making the wrong comparison isn't me. Your bringing in your cousins who leave halfway across the globe vs me who lived just across the causeway is already the wrong comparison. Your cousins who don't work in SG are the ones who do not contribute anything at all to SG economy vs me who work in SG is already the wrong comparison. Pray tell how my working in SG does not in the slightest way contribute to SG economy? You mean the taxes i paid over to IRAS is again earmarked as being not used by SG govt? And it isn't about how much I spend in SG anyway, first you said I spent zero, now you quibble about the amount I spend?

You have totally lost track on your argument.
Go back and read again carefully and see how I compared my cousins with you and on what before shooting off.
What you have paid in taxes has nothing to do with the economy and I hope you know the meaning of economy.
Be honest, compare the salary earned against the actual spending in SG, its probably a very small little percentage for food and drinks.
The clerical assistant who earns a much smaller salary probably spends very much more than you and definitely in a much larger percentage.
I repeating again, taking the salary earned and spend most of it elsewhere is not contributing to the economy.
Just think, if everyone does the same, earn the money and take it all away to spend, then what will happen to all the shops and businesses?? The economy will collapse!
Still don't understand, consult your office accountant.

And saying money given out is not my money anymore is not anything different from saying that money spent is not my money anymore. YES. So whatever point you are making is totally redundant to say the least. And it is still warped logic to even think that money given to parents to spend has nothing at all to do with me when eventually the money I earned was spent in SG? YES. Or are you playing semantics here, that this is giving and not spending? If someone ask where I had spend my salary, you mean I should omit the portion given to my parents in SG because by your logic that does not qualify as spending and therefore my money did not contribute to SG economy at all? Or should I take the wind out of your sails by literally directly paying for my parent's meals and other things?

Repeat - Money given out is not your money anymore.
The govt. gives money (GST rebates) to your parents, it becomes your parent's money and don't belonging to the govt. anymore and your parents can decide whatever which way to spend it.
Similarly, money given to charities becomes the charities' money and has nothing to do with the donor anymore.
Got it?
You can give 100% your salary to your parents.
So, as far as you're concerned, you did not spend it in SG, it is them who spend it in SG (hopefully) and paying for things themselves and so, they deserves the GST rebates but not you.

My parents get their GST rebates regardless of whether or not they spend any of the money which I give them, so I don't see the point you are making that I should be happy, as if they get some extra rebates because of what I had forgone.

Think what would happen if there are new policies that prioritize jobs for citizens who also resides in SG?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are wrong again.

Wherever you are born should give you the best opportunities as a citizen, if another country can give better prospects it simply means your country has screwed you, plain and simple, still want to argue.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a side note, the ringgit is crashing and year-end bonus is coming. Time to fully pay off the MY housing loan. hahaha

The banks and remittance companies have yet to reflect the weaker exchange rate. It is a good time to monitor and remit around this period.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Frodo is Singapore son. Serving NS or Mata is another form of contribution while yr cousins can study hard hard. Majulah Singapura. :p

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ehhhh...snowbird. If my life savings, hard eared money, being locked up till 65 and i am unable to withdraw all my savings after i turned 55. Can u tell me am i being screwed?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think what would happen if there are new policies that prioritize jobs for citizens who also resides in SG?

I won't belabour the point about your cousins as I think the point is clear but you missed it. If you are harping on the fact that my reported address of residence is not Singapore just like your cousins are in another country, that was precisely the point I was making about implementing policies blindly without considering the realities .Your cousins work and live in the US. I work in SG, but live in JB, where's the comparison?

I also wonder why honesty is an issue at all when the fact is that working in Singapore already means contributing to SG. If I am working as a construction worker here, are you saying that I have contributed NOTHING to SG economy? You mean my services (for which I earned my salary) was not rendered to SG but to MY? I think it is your definition of economy that is problematic because it only looks at one element, spending.:rolleyes:

And it's not about how much I spend in SG anyway. What percentage of one's spending in SG should qualify for GST rebate? Is that even relevant? The more you spend the more you rebates you get? Of course not. The address of residence in SG was made a requirement, I am just saying that this can be tweaked somewhat to cater for Singaporeans who live in JB.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't belabour the point about your cousins as I think the point is clear but you missed it. If you are harping on the fact that my reported address of residence is not Singapore just like your cousins are in another country, that was precisely the point I was making about implementing policies blindly without considering the realities .Your cousins work and live in the US. I work in SG, but live in JB, where's the comparison?

Didn't I tell you that my cousins are still holding their pink IC and their registered address is still in SG but the fact is made known to the authorities that they work and live in the US hence they are also NOT getting their GST rebates! But the male cousin did served his NS before leaving SG for further studies and just like all other healthy and able-bodied young men, hence he still receive the CPF top-ups and do not feel guilty receiving it.

I also wonder why honesty is an issue at all when the fact is that working in Singapore already means contributing to SG. If I am working as a construction worker here, are you saying that I have contributed NOTHING to SG economy? You mean my services (for which I earned my salary) was not rendered to SG but to MY? I think it is your definition of economy that is problematic because it only looks at one element, spending.:rolleyes:

I've already said it and I'm say it again.
If a large percentage of Singaporean does the same like you, working in SG earning SGD and taking all their earnings out to spend it, many businesses and service providers, big and small, will collapse one by one and eventually the whole economy and this is the economy I'm talking about!
You need to be less myopic in your viewpoint and stop thinking only about just yourself - look at the bigger picture!
Its like saying it's only me smoking, how can I cause pollution in the room but what if a few hundred start smoking in the same room?
See?

And it's not about how much I spend in SG anyway. What percentage of one's spending in SG should qualify for GST rebate? Is that even relevant? The more you spend the more you rebates you get? Of course not. The address of residence in SG was made a requirement, I am just saying that this can be tweaked somewhat to cater for Singaporeans who live in JB.

It is not the percentage per se as I was just making a comparison of spending between you and, say a junior clerk.
The clerk earning $1,200 is probably spending about 80 to 90% of her net income compare to you perhaps spending 5% in SG.
Your 5% may be more than her 50% in value, I don't know, but that's not the point here and this is how statistics works.

"Your cousins work and live in the US. I work in SG, but live in JB, where's the comparison?"

Because both of you are not residing in SG that's why both of you don't deserve to collect the GST rebates!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Your cousins work and live in the US. I work in SG, but live in JB, where's the comparison?"

Because both of you are not residing in SG that's why both of you don't deserve to collect the GST rebates!

And then we are just back to the point about blindly implementing the rules regardless of the specifics of each case, the point that you repeatedly missed but think you didn't.

And if large numbers of Singaporeans really do take a large proportion of incomes and spend overseas, it's their prerogative, isn't it? And if there are no Causeway jams woes I am pretty sure that you may well be one of the large numbers of Singaporeans doing just that.:rolleyes: And that has nothing to do with GST rebates anyway. And even more this has nothing to do with me being myopic than with you recognising that not everyone is as well off as you. People make adjustments in order to save on expenses and stretch their spending, and you are unhappy with that? And that is somehow unpatriotic because SG economy will be doomed? So long as people are legitimately bringing their spending to JB, what justification is there for you to accuse them of being myopic and self-centred? Not forgetting that people can spend a huge chunk of money overseas without even leaving the comforts of their bedroom with convenience of internet shopping. Do you call them myopic and self-centred? Or do you only reserve such words for people who chose to make JB their home, whether temporary of long term? BTW, your comparing people spending their money overseas with that of smoking in an enclosed room is really absurd so there's really nothing to see, except the absurd nature of the comparison.

Lastly, if the amount/percentage of spending is not even relevant, then I don't see why you are even bringing it up. My earlier point was to refute the nonsensical idea that my entire income earned in SG is spent in Malaysia (my meals and other expenses in SG must be free or sponsored by someone's giving then:rolleyes:), and that I had contributed nothing to SG economy at all. A Bangladeshi worker can be constructing buildings in SG but remit all his money back to his own country. Are you saying that he did not contribute to SG at all? Must spend money in SG then considered contributing to SG? Your definition of "contributing" is truly myopic.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Frodo is Singapore son. Serving NS or Mata is another form of contribution while yr cousins can study hard hard. Majulah Singapura. :p

His definition of contributing to SG = spend your income in Singapore. Other than that not counted.:eek:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well, if SG Govt really does that then we just have to play along, regardless of how irrational such a policy is. Maybe those who are renting out their entire HDBs may just rent out one or two bedrooms instead, and report the place of residence as SG, or use their parents home as place of residence.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well refuted Frodo,

Actually i really wish Singaporeans DUN flock into JB at all. Be it weekends, school holidays, public holidays or long term stay(retire).
Coz they really bump up the cost of living there… I actually do love all these Nay-Sayers here as they can help to keep out the herd?

LOLOL
:cool: