• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jaycee Chan says prison was 'harsh' & father Jackie did not intervene in drugs case

Sioux

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jaycee Chan says prison was 'harsh' and father Jackie did not intervene in drugs case

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 14 February, 2015, 5:04pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 14 February, 2015, 5:13pm

Associated Press in Beijing

jackie_chan_afp.jpg

Hong Kong actor Jaycee Chan faces the media after his release from jail, where he says was 'quite harsh'. Photo: AFP

The son of actor Jackie Chan apologised to the public and asked for a second chance following his release from a six-month jail sentence for allowing people to use marijuana in his apartment.

Jaycee Chan, 32, said at a news conference that he was rededicating himself to his family and entertainment business career.

He said he had “no reason, no excuse” for the behaviour that led to his arrest in August alongside his friend, Taiwanese actor Ko Kai, and others.

“After this correction by the justice system, I have changed my outlook on life and my values,” Chan said.

Chan and Ko tested positive for marijuana, and police seized more than 100 grams of the drug from his Beijing apartment. He could have been sentenced to up to three years, but was shown leniency by the court for having come clean with his law breaking.

jaycee_and_manager_afp.jpg

Actor Jaycee Chan (left), flanked by his manager, bows in apology. Photo: AFP

Chan’s news conference was broadcast live on Chinese state broadcaster CCTV, illustrating the propaganda value Beijing hopes to gain from the high-profile case amid a sweeping anti-drugs crackdown.

Over the first half of last year, Beijing saw a 53-per cent rise in drug investigations in the city to more than 1,800 cases. More than 8,400 suspects have been detained during that time, an increase of 79 per cent over the same period last year.

Chan, whose mother is former Taiwanese actress Lin Feng-jiao, was raised in Los Angeles and has appeared in about 20 films, most of them low-budget Hong Kong and mainland Chinese productions.

Jackie Chan has publicly apologised for his son’s drug use and pledged to work with him on his recovery. The incident was sensitive for him because of his status as a Chinese anti-drugs ambassador and deputy to the national legislature’s main consultative body.

Jaycee Chan said his father did not intervene on his behalf and that he received no special treatment in prison, where conditions were “quite harsh”.

jaycee_jackie.jpg

Jaycee Chan told the press that his father Jackie (right) did not intervene on his behalf when he was imprisoned for a drug offence.

Speaking slowly in a quiet voice, he said he’d first encountered marijuana eight years earlier on a trip to the Netherlands, but only became a regular user about two years ago.

“I’m very ashamed that I haven’t been a good role model,” Chan said. “I want to start again, but I know that it’s the mass media that will decide.”

Chan’s arrest put his entertainment career in jeopardy, with several Chinese management companies saying they would refuse to employ celebrities caught using drugs.

While professing his love for show business, Chan said he was now focused on spending time with his parents over next week’s Lunar New Year holiday.