• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jail term for Romania ex-diplomat in Singapore crash

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jail term for Romania ex-diplomat in Singapore crash

A Bucharest court sentenced a former Romanian diplomat to three years in prison on Wednesday for a 2009 deadly hit-and-run accident in Singapore.

Silviu Ionescu, who was Romania's charge d'affaires in Singapore, was found guilty of hitting three pedestrians in December 2009 while driving a car belonging to the Romanian mission.

One of the pedestrians, a 30-year-old Malaysian, died.

"The court condemns Ionescu Silviu for manslaughter... inflicting injuries and fleeing from the location where the crash took place," the judgement said.

His lawyer told AFP that Ionescu -- who was not present in court for the sentencing -- will appeal.

In Romania, a convict does not go to jail until the sentence has been upheld on appeal.

The former diplomat's defence team argued during the trial that he should be acquitted on the grounds that there was no direct evidence linking him to the crime.

Ionescu, who fled Singapore shortly after the accident, has always claimed the Romanian mission's car was stolen. He has been on trial since October 2010

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/jail-term-romania-ex-diplomat-singapore-crash-115751574.html

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore AGC and traffic police can learn a thing or two on charge and sentence appropriate for drunk driving and reckless driving. Disgusting how many singapore drivers got away with small fines for manslaughter.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's what a diplomat does. Go KTV, get drunk, kill someone on the road and run road to motherland.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what a diplomat does. Go KTV, get drunk, kill someone on the road and run road to motherland.

This Silviu Ionescu is really a Class A moron.

Had he gone to trial in Singapore, he probably would not have been sent to prison. He would have gotten a fine, as with many similar cases in Singapore. Maybe banned from driving for several years (or at worst, for life) but quite unlikely that he would have received a jail term.

Moreover, he is/was a diplomat, so it was even more likely for him to have received a lenient sentence. I would have expected a 10-year driving ban plus maybe a $5,000 fine.

Instead, he has had to go through legal troubles for the past 3-4 years, in and out of court, having his movements restricted, and now he gets sentenced to 3 years jail so that's a total of 6-7 years wasted when he could have just moved on with his life. I am not sure about Romanian prisons but I would think that they would be as bad as, if not worse than, Changi prison.

If he appeals and wastes another few months or even years, what are the chances that he will get to walk off scot-free?

Appears that the Romanian authorities want to make an example of him to show the Singapore MFA that they are serious about this case.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore AGC and traffic police can learn a thing or two on charge and sentence appropriate for drunk driving and reckless driving. Disgusting how many singapore drivers got away with small fines for manslaughter.

For drunk driving, a prison sentence is a must. I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers. Even if they made 'honest' mistakes and were careless or unlucky, they should NOT have taken the wheel while drunk. It is a choice. If you are drunk, you cannot possibly not know that you are drunk. Just take a cab. If you have money to buy alcohol, you have money to take cab -- even with the midnight surcharge, or with the booking charge, or the extra Mercedes surcharge or whatever. How much can it cost? At most $40-50. How much does it cost to drink until you get drunk? Definitely more than that.

Whenever someone gets a driving ban or a fine for drunk driving, I get quite riled up. These people should go to jail for at least 2 years. They are needlessly endangering people's lives. The Singapore courts should send a signal that this behaviour will NOT be tolerated.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

Had he gone to trial in Singapore, he probably would not have been sent to prison. He would have gotten a fine, as with many similar cases in Singapore. Maybe banned from driving for several years (or at worst, for life) but quite unlikely that he would have received a jail term.

Moreover, he is/was a diplomat, so it was even more likely for him to have received a lenient sentence. I would have expected a 10-year driving ban plus maybe a $5,000 fine.

Instead, he has had to go through legal troubles for the past 3-4 years, in and out of court, having his movements restricted, and now he gets sentenced to 3 years jail so that's a total of 6-7 years wasted when he could have just moved on with his life. I am not sure about Romanian prisons but I would think that they would be as bad as, if not worse than, Changi prison.

If he appeals and wastes another few months or even years, what are the chances that he will get to walk off scot-free?

Appears that the Romanian authorities want to make an example of him to show the Singapore MFA that they are serious about this case.
Yes, super moron. He should have stayed or volunteer to return to singapore to face the warped sinkie justice system.

Though I'm not sure if the Romanian court gave him a harsher sentence. Manslaughter is the standard charge in Europe for killing others while drunk driving, and substantial jail sentence expected. In some European countries, the fine for speeding is a percentage of annual income. So rich man gets fined much heavier, sometimes to tune of hundreds of thousands bucks for speeding only.

Only sinkieland justice system is so warped and bend over backwards for rich people. Till now still not heard any concrete plan to revamp punishment for drunk or reckless drivers.

Vote out TCH in 2016.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
In some European countries, the fine for speeding is a percentage of annual income. So rich man gets fined much heavier, sometimes to tune of hundreds of thousands bucks for speeding only.

How would you feel if you were fined, say, $800 for speeding?

I think many people would feel that it is an injustice.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
How would you feel if you were fined, say, $800 for speeding?

I think many people would feel that it is an injustice.
If i know the fine is very heavy, I will not dare to speed. So there is no feeling of injustice.

Your logic is like saying murderers will feel an injustice if they are sentenced to death.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Romania is a corrupt country where even a simpleton sheep herder can get the money through shady dealings to purchase a football club.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. No way he would have got 3 years in Singapore.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun get your knickers in a twist....
I have a hunch he won't see the inside of a prison cell....not even a day.
He was already locked up for a few months pending trial. And by dragging out this case, his life and psyche affected for past few years, not to mention the legal costs. This chap is a moron for his desire to get off scot free for a crime that he committed. End up he suffer a much worse fate than if he had man up and admitted.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The happier days

romanian-diplomat-dr-silviu-ionescu-with-beautiful-women.jpg

JayBee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually if I were to give an opinion, Singapore's rights to judge the case has been taken away by Romania. In truth, Romania is harbouring a criminal who has yet to face trial in Singapore. Even if he is given life imprisonment in Romania, doesn't equate him resolving his criminal charges in Singapore. MFA should still try and extradite this fella after his jail term.

As for Shane Todd's case, the FBI should cooperate with Singapore police and act as an observer. Singapore should not compromise their sovereign rights in handling these matters.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know what manslaughter is?

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore has no right to judge the case because of two words - diplomatic immunity.

This idiot is not a criminal also because of two words - diplomatic immunity.

Romania has every legal and moral right to let him off scot free if it wanted to. Even the US cannot do anything with the recalcitrant diplomats in New York except extradite them. However, for some reason Romania chose to lock him up for a few months, and now sentence him to 3 years jail. Stupidly enough, he would never have got 3 years jail if he was charged in Singapore.

Actually if I were to give an opinion, Singapore's rights to judge the case has been taken away by Romania. In truth, Romania is harbouring a criminal who has yet to face trial in Singapore. Even if he is given life imprisonment in Romania, doesn't equate him resolving his criminal charges in Singapore. MFA should still try and extradite this fella after his jail term.

As for Shane Todd's case, the FBI should cooperate with Singapore police and act as an observer. Singapore should not compromise their sovereign rights in handling these matters.

jw5

Loyal
Agree with you. No way he would have got 3 years in Singapore.

Manipulative bastard Scroobal, your wife also agreed with her young Ang Mo lover. She kept screaming "Yes!" after she screamed "Got You!".