• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Items Prove Human Civilization Is Millions Of Years Old.....BIBLE Wrong As Usual !

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kinana said:
so far, no scientist can prove that carbon dating can be accurate till 50000 years. It is a claim, not something proven at all.

I think you should try jumping from the top of a HDB block. There is no proof that anything bad will happen to you. You don't try you never know. Anyway you have God fully behind you.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kinana said:
so far, no scientist can prove that carbon dating can be accurate till 50000 years. It is a claim, not something proven at all.

If you can lay down the procedures and processes to arrive at this proof, I think there will be scientists able to do that.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Items Prove Human Civilization Is Millions Of Years Old.....BIBLE Wrong As Usual

I think you should try jumping from the top of a HDB block. There is no proof that anything bad will happen to you. You don't try you never know. Anyway you have God fully behind you.

he wont jump because he dont have faith in his god :wink: ...its that simple :wink:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Items Prove Human Civilization Is Millions Of Years Old.....BIBLE Wrong As Usual

Brother FS,

I think many Christians would, including me, if only we are taught to do so. But no...quite to the contrary, when Jesus was tempted and was told by the devil to throw Himself from the top of the hill, Jesus reply was: Do not test your Lord thy God (Matthew 4:6).

So, answer: No way...we will not because Jesus has told us not to do it. Furthermore, another lesson we learn is that when someone is asking you to throw yourself from the top of the hill or to jump from from highrise building, it is very likely that such request is not from God but from the devil.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Psalm23 said:
So, answer: No way...we will not because Jesus has told us not to do it. Furthermore, another lesson we learn is that when someone is asking you to throw yourself from the top of the hill or to jump from from highrise building, it is very likely that such request is not from God but from the devil.

I raise this problem not to test Kinana's faith. I already know it is not strong enough. He could not get himself even to admit he has a soul.

The problem was raised because this is the only proof your people will recognise - direct experience. The rest of us are quite happy with scientific deduction. Evidently your people do also recognise scientific deduction for problems like this but will throw away scientific deduction whenever required to suit your faith especially when it is not seriously tested.

omnia1

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is the Bible Author Saying ?

When we read the bible, the Catechism of the Catholic Church states, "the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words" (CCC 109). And, "in order to discover the sacred authors’ intention," the Catechism states "the reader must take into account the conditions of their times and culture, the literal genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking, and narrating then current" (CCC 110).

In other words, when trying to understand the bible, we need to constantly ask ourselves, "what is it that the author is trying to assert and communicate to the reader (having regard to his 'style' of writing) ?"

Creation of the Universe

Yes, we read in the bible that God created the world in 6 days etc. But is that really what the bible author is trying to teach us ?

Very often, the answer is no. The bible author (and by extension God since Christians believe God inspired the bible authors) is not trying to teach science to his readers. God leaves that to scientists and astronomers. The teaching is about salvation and getting to heaven; and the author is putting the message across in a way that would be meaningful to his readers. The purpose of Genesis is not to give a scientific treatise on how the Universe began but rather to put across theological truths important for our salvation - eg: God creating the Universe out of nothing, that man disobeyed and broke communion with God (which was why God had to subsequently restore that communion by suffering and dying on the cross for man's sins) etc. All this told in a 6 day creation account that man at that stage of development could understand.

Is the Bible Wrong ?

So regarding the title of this thread, is the Bible wrong ? No. Simply because the Bible is not necessarily asserting that the world was made in 6 twenty-four hour days or that mankind is only xx thousand years old. Until scientists can tell us conclusively one way or another, the Church gives Catholics some latitude in how they want to view the creation of the world. It's fine if they want to believe that God did indeed create the world in 6 twenty-four hour days but it is also fine if they want to believe that God created the world over millions or billions of years. The Church actually tends to lean towards the latter.

This question is a scientific one, not a theological one. Theological questions are for the Church (and Bible) to answer; scientific questions are for the scientific community to answer. It's as simple as that, and there is nothing inherently contradictory between the two.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal

I raise this problem not to test Kinana's faith. I already know it is not strong enough. He could not get himself even to admit he has a soul.

The problem was raised because this is the only proof your people will recognise - direct experience. The rest of us are quite happy with scientific deduction. Evidently your people do also recognise scientific deduction for problems like this but will throw away scientific deduction whenever required to suit your faith especially when it is not seriously tested.

Unless you are God, no one actually knows exactly how strong is your faith.

As Christian (and I am not speaking for others), I believe in scientific deductions or inferrences. But these must be done with tangible, testable and repeatable experiments. I agree no science can prove or disapprove the existence of God using scientific method. And hence the only way for us to come to the conclusion is by looking at the things actually happening around us. One cannot draw firm conclusions from a piece of rock, a piece of dead/rotten bone, etc that is billion of years ago. But actual events that are occuring right before our eyes can bear witnesses. Coming to God's existence, we see total impossibilty that the universe can be created together with all the living things by pure chance in the way we understood today. Science can tell you that all you need is to minutely alter just one of the 30-odd parameters that govern the universe, the whole universe will collapse.

Many doubted the miracles that are mentioned in the Bible and wanted 'scientiific' explanations to these miracles. If they can be proved scientifically, then really they are not miracles because anyone who is well-verse in science can repeat it. But that does not mean Christians do not believe in scientific deductions or inferrences. Just fill up the air in one of the two balloons and you can easily come to the deduction that "air has weigh" because if you measure the weigh of the two balloons, one with air and one without air, the one with air is heavier. This may be a very simple illustration but this is what all scientific deductions and inferrences are trying to achieve this as their final 'end-product.' Something you can visibily see it but there are many things we cannot see but we know they are there - e.g. air, atoms, electric current.