• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Islamisation of Singapore Politics

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if I am making a mountain out of a molehill but I thought the PAP Malay MP who posted on the face book of fellow Malay using ethnic greetings is the right way to do it. To me it shows a move away from integration and further isolation of the Malay community compared to the past. Imagine if Chinese and Indians PAP MPs start doing the same thing. We are already divided, why push this far.

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/pap-mp-clarifies-what-happened-ex-rp-members-facebook

"Assalamualikum Mr Jafri,

You have raised many inaccuracies. You said you had no money for transport to attend an interview the next day. I gave you an Ez-link card for travel and also personally called the security company you were interviewing with to ask them to support you.

I found out from the person that there was no such interview scheduled. I also called you at the number you gave. It was wrong number.

I asked whether I can refer you to ComCare office for assistance. You declined.

Interesting you had come to PAP Meet-the-People session given your involvement with Reform Party. Of course you are welcome, but it's interesting who you turned to for help.

I wish you and your family well. Thanks and wassalam.

Amran"

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a misplaced molehill.

The greeting is religious not ethnic and has always been used amongst the community. This is not a sudden turn to islamisation. It is deemed as being respectful.

Interestingly local Muslims tend to freak out when a non-Muslim uses the same as they think it is not permissible.

The MP would not use it when addressing a constituent who was a non-Muslim.

Again it's ignorance locally cultivated by self-taught youtubers and returnees who have assumed their roles as religious leaders as elsewhere (even in Saudi Arabia) it is just a formal greeting and part of the daily vernacular. Ask the South Indian Hindus working as drivers or managers.

This article nails the issue and indeed it is a real issue that is mushrooming at incredible speed now more than before:

http://www.theheatmalaysia.com/Main/The-superior-Malay-is-an-Arab

The title of this thread is absolutely inaccurate and unfortunate as it would arguably apply to the shift in Malaysia but not here at all in the context you have presented it. I don't know of any of the Muslim (not Malay) MPs who have ever tried to appease the locals from a religious perspective and instead they have been continuously chastised by some for being secular in approach. The hijab issue has always been responded to as being "complicated".

Amin Amran had been positioning himself for a long career in politics from long ago - check with his ex-colleagues from Drew - first time MP and with a cabinet role - he is already pulling above half a million a year and at this rate I would not be surprised if he is angling for full Ministerial credentials eventually as that is being ambitious. Not sure being overtly religious is even required if he has strategised this.

One observation is that he is still very green as a politician and probably not as smart as he think he is - I cold not discern whether the exchange with the constituent was in English or Malay but he seemed to have translated from Malay into English when he is quoted as supposedly having said "nobody owes you a living" which is a very foolish thing to say to someone approaching you for assistance.

I am of the opinion that he also has discredited himself by alluding to the RP affiliation - that is just playing in partisan talk when it is not required. If indeed it was meant to be mischief then taking the higher moral ground and helping sincerely would have been much more admirable than listing out how you have helped.

Shalom.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fully aware of the meaning of the greetings which is part of the culture. It happens everyday. When we became independent it was very clear that to allow the continuation of integration a neutral approach was adopted for anything officially done in English. If it was done in Malay I have no issues. If not we will end up with Chinese MPs replying to their Chinese constituents when corresponding in English using Chinese vernacular forms of greetings.

I don't think any MP including PAP MP will start an engagement saying " nobody owes you a living". Makes no sense. This constituent seems to have lied and left out details such as the Ezy Link card. I think he mentioned the RP link because he suspected that it was a setup because of the wrong phone number given. Why would anyone give the wrong phone number if they are seeking help. The personal and contact details are normally taken down by the minders before they meet the MP.

The MP himself is lightweight. He was with Woodlands area grassroots since he was in NUS and a PAP member then. No big shakes in the academic area. I am sure they will find a better qualified Malay MP of Minister calibre.

It is a misplaced molehill.

The greeting is religious not ethnic and has always been used amongst the community. This is not a sudden turn to islamisation. It is deemed as being respectful.

Interestingly local Muslims tend to freak out when a non-Muslim uses the same as they think it is not permissible.

The MP would not use it when addressing a constituent who was a non-Muslim.

Again it's ignorance locally cultivated by self-taught youtubers and returnees who have assumed their roles as religious leaders as elsewhere (even in Saudi Arabia) it is just a formal greeting and part of the daily vernacular. Ask the South Indian Hindus working as drivers or managers.

This article nails the issue and indeed it is a real issue that is mushrooming at incredible speed now more than before:

http://www.theheatmalaysia.com/Main/The-superior-Malay-is-an-Arab

The title of this thread is absolutely inaccurate and unfortunate as it would arguably apply to the shift in Malaysia but not here at all in the context you have presented it. I don't know of any of the Muslim (not Malay) MPs who have ever tried to appease the locals from a religious perspective and instead they have been continuously chastised by some for being secular in approach. The hijab issue has always been responded to as being "complicated".

Amin Amran had been positioning himself for a long career in politics from long ago - check with his ex-colleagues from Drew - first time MP and with a cabinet role - he is already pulling above half a million a year and at this rate I would not be surprised if he is angling for full Ministerial credentials eventually as that is being ambitious. Not sure being overtly religious is even required if he has strategised this.

One observation is that he is still very green as a politician and probably not as smart as he think he is - I cold not discern whether the exchange with the constituent was in English or Malay but he seemed to have translated from Malay into English when he is quoted as supposedly having said "nobody owes you a living" which is a very foolish thing to say to someone approaching you for assistance.

I am of the opinion that he also has discredited himself by alluding to the RP affiliation - that is just playing in partisan talk when it is not required. If indeed it was meant to be mischief then taking the higher moral ground and helping sincerely would have been much more admirable than listing out how you have helped.

Shalom.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Former Policeman: Woodlands MP Offered Me a Job that’s Beneath My Experience and Education
Posted on Apr 4 2016 - 4:01pm by Dear Redwire
redwire-singapore-amrin-amri-woodlands-mp-x8120
JAFRI BASRON: I seek Redwire to publish my experience at the MPS with the MP for Woodlands, Amrin Amin.

Last Monday; I went to the Meet the People Session to seek help from Amrin Amin, the MP for Woodlands.

He told me, “Nobody owed you a living and nobody owed me anything” despite myself being a Police Officer for 20 years. He was implying to me that whatever devotion, sacrificial and pains that I had rendered to the public is NOTHING and does not deserve any gratification from the society”.

Without asking for my educational background and job experience; Amrin Amri immediately offered me a job as a security guard. It left me wondering WHY must Amrin Amin offered me a security guard job without considering me for other suitable occupation that relates to my job experience and educational background.

Is he trying to imply that ALL Singaporean who are jobless MUST BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY to be security guard ?

(Ed’s Note: Mr Amrin Amin is the Parliamentary Secretary for the Ministry of Home Affairs, and was part of the PAP team that won in Sembawang GRC in GE2015.)

Thank you Jafri for this letter.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm curious what the alternative could be? I can see your perspective clearer now but I sense the greeting he used is either out of cordiality (as culturally common/expected) or cynical/sarcasm - since its Amin I'd say the former. I really don't see him as necessarily doing it from a strictly religious perspective but its a significant observation.

I don't think many think too much about the significance of this or note it probably because they expect it - when he commented on the three madrasah girls he had no such salutations as he was addressing everyone.