• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Iskandar -- Now is the time to invest in or it's overhyped?

Newbie11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Notti bro, best post u written. Haha.. I think u nail it. Zone b is for long haul. MY do things so slow. U think medini in 5 years will be v vibrant? must always Protect your downside.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can see the Malaysian government is putting effort for Iskandar more than every before. I don't think it will be a flop so easily. But have to factor in delays and all that. Even if everything runs smoothly, I find it hard to imagine how from a bare piece of land, we expect it to be as vibrant as what Singapore is now in just 5 years. Universities and all that are there but it will certainly take a lot of time (maybe 1-2 decades?) to have full enrolment like what we see in NUS or NTU now.

For those who are buying condos there for own stay, I think it doesn't matter cos you need a roof under your head anyway. But those considering rental/investment.... tricky. Maybe no tenants for many years or very low rental yield. That's the risk of investment for small time investor in Medini. So got to work out to see if finances can hold for so long. By then also, number of residential units will be a lot more. Competition.

The Iskandar story have to fly or else all investors will be in trouble. What is the probability educity, health resort ...... will fail ?

Will the security improve so that the rich will feel secure to go there ?

If the answers are on the positive side I believe the returns will be faster.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opps. sorry. I get it. Basically, I can't change the monthly repayment amount. In your eg, once I've decided to pay 3k monthly at the start, it will be that amount all the way, even if some time later, I do a lump sum capital repayment. If I want to change the monthly loan amount, a new refinancing must be done.

1. So after the lump sum capital repayment of 300k, since my monthly loan remains the same at 3k, my loan tenure will reduce right? Cos then it will be faster for me to clear off a smaller amount of remaining loan

2. This may sound silly... but whatever capital repayment I wish to do, in the eg, it's 300k, do I earn any interest from it assuming I don't withdraw it at all?

Thanks so much for the clarification.
1. yes definitely, tenure reduced. confirm chop chop. unless you redraw out your capital repayment of cos!
2. it's not silly. if u dunno something, ask! answer: no way . you already save BLR - 2.4% or whatever. you don't earn any interest.
have fun hunting! :smile: :smile:

Last edited:

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
it will never be as good as ntu / nus.

If you look at SMU, it is giving NUS/NTU a run for its money.
Midas has recently also jump in.
Educity is commercially driven hence in terms of facilities it will not match NUS/NTU as Singapore government has deep pockets and puts an emphasis on education. Nevertheless Educity gives a different value proposition. For example you cannot get into med in NUS/NTU then across the border may give you an economical solution to your dream education.

If you read school in Iskandar thread, it is interesting that folks now do not see Singapore education as a 5 star system worth going for at all cost. I myself is contemplating to put my kids in one of the private school there should we decide to live there. Out of the rat race system and she gets an education like Singapore foreign talents.

Again my main concern for Iskandar is security and safety. I came back from KL over the weekend and security was a discussion topic. Really hope the Malaysian government look into a holistic approach into the problem. The current security measure seems to be taking effect but it cannot continue like this forever as the police will get tired and the criminal will soon find workarounds.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. yes definitely, tenure reduced. confirm chop chop. unless you redraw out your capital repayment of cos!
2. it's not silly. if u dunno something, ask! answer: no way . you already save BLR - 2.4% or whatever. you don't earn any interest.
have fun hunting! :smile: :smile:

Hee hee... thanks! :smile:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look at SMU, it is giving NUS/NTU a run for its money.
Midas has recently also jump in.
Educity is commercially driven hence in terms of facilities it will not match NUS/NTU as Singapore government has deep pockets and puts an emphasis on education. Nevertheless Educity gives a different value proposition. For example you cannot get into med in NUS/NTU then across the border may give you an economical solution to your dream education.

If you read school in Iskandar thread, it is interesting that folks now do not see Singapore education as a 5 star system worth going for at all cost. I myself is contemplating to put my kids in one of the private school there should we decide to live there. Out of the rat race system and she gets an education like Singapore foreign talents.

Again my main concern for Iskandar is security and safety. I came back from KL over the weekend and security was a discussion topic. Really hope the Malaysian government look into a holistic approach into the problem. The current security measure seems to be taking effect but it cannot continue like this forever as the police will get tired and the criminal will soon find workarounds.

For medicine, it has to also depend on whether Singapore recognizes the degree. At present, there are limited overseas medical degrees the Medical Council recognizes. Let's hope they will accept the UK-Malaysian one. As it is, they are importing so many foreigners here as doctors. I wonder why then did they restrict the medical students intake in the past. Now I know why. Likely to want to get cheaper labour. Tsk tsk...

Singapore's education is too stressful. Ask any teacher and parents of school-going kids and they will tell us. While it may be beneficial academically, I'm not sure about the other holistic aspects. Having gone thru the system myself, I think our education here is quite ironic. Unless one is a top notch straight A's student and preferably scholar, there's no guarantee that even if a student's results are considered good, he or she will do well later in life.

Many of my friends who enrolled into NUS or NTU with respectable college grades, they take on normal jobs even though they have post grad degrees. But they are not scholars. When they were young, they went thru the pressure cooker education here, and as adult, still gotta go thru the stress of performing well in their jobs and paying off 25 yr loans to own a small HDB flat.

On the other hand, I have some friends who didn't do so well in their O levels because they like to "play" and 1 or 2 are into sports. Went the usual poly route, then Australia. In the end, still got a recognized degree. What's the diff compared to those who studied so hard to try to get into the local unis here? Nothing much! In fact, some companies even value them more than local grads just cos they have an overseas degree! But these are the very people who didn't do well in their studies when they were younger. In the end, they still can get good jobs. So what were all the stressful years of childhood for? Comparing the 2 groups, I think the 2nd group led a more holistic and enjoyable lifestyle.

Haha.. I think I'm out of topic. :smile: It will take a very long time to control crime in Iskandar. It's a super giant task. Maybe Medini will be better cos they are starting from scratch. For Johor Bahru now, it's a long way to go. I'm not optimistic I will even see in my lifetime JB being as advanced and safe as Singapore now. But definitely, it is improving. The danger is that it is easy to forget and one tends to associate Iskandar like a 2nd Singapore and so, many may be rushing in to invest thinking the way things work is similar there. Far from it....

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
For medicine, it has to also depend on whether Singapore recognizes the degree. At present, there are limited overseas medical degrees the Medical Council recognizes. Let's hope they will accept the UK-Malaysian one. As it is, they are importing so many foreigners here as doctors. I wonder why then did they restrict the medical students intake in the past. Now I know why. Likely to want to get cheaper labour. Tsk tsk...

Singapore's education is too stressful. Ask any teacher and parents of school-going kids and they will tell us. While it may be beneficial academically, I'm not sure about the other holistic aspects. Having gone thru the system myself, I think our education here is quite ironic. Unless one is a top notch straight A's student and preferably scholar, there's no guarantee that even if a student's results are considered good, he or she will do well later in life.

Many of my friends who enrolled into NUS or NTU with respectable college grades, they take on normal jobs even though they have post grad degrees. But they are not scholars. When they were young, they went thru the pressure cooker education here, and as adult, still gotta go thru the stress of performing well in their jobs and paying off 25 yr loans to own a small HDB flat.

On the other hand, I have some friends who didn't do so well in their O levels because they like to "play" and 1 or 2 are into sports. Went the usual poly route, then Australia. In the end, still got a recognized degree. What's the diff compared to those who studied so hard to try to get into the local unis here? Nothing much! In fact, some companies even value them more than local grads just cos they have an overseas degree! But these are the very people who didn't do well in their studies when they were younger. In the end, they still can get good jobs. So what were all the stressful years of childhood for? Comparing the 2 groups, I think the 2nd group led a more holistic and enjoyable lifestyle.

Haha.. I think I'm out of topic. :smile: It will take a very long time to control crime in Iskandar. It's a super giant task. Maybe Medini will be better cos they are starting from scratch. For Johor Bahru now, it's a long way to go. I'm not optimistic I will even see in my lifetime JB being as advanced and safe as Singapore now. But definitely, it is improving. The danger is that it is easy to forget and one tends to associate Iskandar like a 2nd Singapore and so, many may be rushing in to invest thinking the way things work is similar there. Far from it....

The degree awarded at the Newcastle University should be identical to the one in UK. Technically there is recognition. The medical degree in Iskandar is really quite attractive for those who cannot secure a place in NUS or NTU.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
1Notti has written a good analysis from his point of view. Good to share thoughts and brain storm a bit. Here's my contribution:

I asked myself where's the best place to invest in JB 2 years back. Not easy as you need to do a lot of homework. It was like Scudai /Tampoi area or Permas Jaya area. Even drove to Senibong and of course to Medini / Puteri Harbour. You need to "feel" the area. Everyone has their own personal liking, so yours and mine is different.

Zone A seemed to be exciting but historical data showed that while there is capital appreciation, the rental yields are pretty poor. Visited my friends in Orchid Tower and also another one near York Hotel. You drive around there and have meals in those coffee shops and you can feel who's who frequenting those areas. JB town center has scores of people and quite exciting but as in any exciting town, there's tendency that the town would be a bit rough. Those who invested in the past would be making good but for those who want to buy at nowadays prices, it is better to be prudent. My take is with so many condos like Tropicana Danga and Country Garden plus those Setia projects, it would be a tenant market. But for own stay, absolutely no problem. Again this is my personal thinking.

Next went to Medini, the first impression is there are endless vacant land. Plenty of planned projects with hoardings and earthwork equipment but very little activity. Even so, there's big time announcements of projects to be undertaken, my take is these projects are too sparsely distributed. If Putrajaya/ Cyberjaya is used as a guideline as it is also a greenfield development, it would take about 15 years to be what it is today and it is still not very frequented by outsiders. It is more of self contained township, more family orientated and of course Educity. Medini could be faster in maturing, but it would be at least 10 years. So it is not for me. But one thing for sure, it is a lot cheaper than PH. So for own stay, it is worth it.

And how the hell did I end up in Encorp T2 at Puteri Harbour? Answer is I really do not know. I let my emotion take over. Actually I told my friends it is RM1100 psf, they said, I am crazy. For the same price, I can get a top notch Mont Kiara Condo. Maybe I like the sea or maybe I was looking for a holiday home. I told myself if Traders Hotel and Somerset can be there, I can't go very wrong. On hindsight, the CIQ is there, the land is limited and freehold, the Robert Kuok group is developing there and the Wellness Center is nearby. Behind is the Government Admin Center and further to the left, the Bandaraya is doing the Emerald Bay. Including Pinetree Hotel, there would be 3 hotels there, so go where the smell is.

Again PH is a place where it is not good for flipping or instant returns. Anyway, it would be 2017 when most projects are completed.

Joke of the day: I thought I bought a 2 room unit in Encorp and didn't even know it is a dual key unit consisting of 2 units of 1 room joined together until I signed the Sale agreement. Life is funny...let's not stress ourselves too much.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
ntu/nus only good when compared to Asian universities ex-Japan.

I rem my NUS days when I had some foreigners lecturers and I didn't understand their Hong Kong/India/China/Russian/... accent. I ended up skipping the lectures, bought some textbooks, went library borrow more and studied myself.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I rem my NUS days when I had some foreigners lecturers and I didn't understand their Hong Kong/India/China/Russian/... accent. I ended up skipping the lectures, bought some textbooks, went library borrow more and studied myself.

I can second that. Got a Hong Kong lecturer teaching Financial Mgt and I thought it was like attending some foreign language course.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
u guys are bright, im e zoo keeper, donkey, elephants, foxes. sibuay paisei..
r u sure you yourself not bright? i see you like dragon hiding behind bush like that.

too "smart" no good, make wrong decisions in life becos think too much. those people just hooot only in life now very rich. like you. hehe

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
And how the hell did I end up in Encorp T2 at Puteri Harbour? Answer is I really do not know. I let my emotion take over..

i remember i went to PH and fell in love with the place immediately.. really so nice. but the price.. eeks. anyway personally i think it's a good buy, rich man playground there.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
when one is rich, nothing is too silly or bad to buy. :smile: i was told PH is already commanding 1.6k psf. but not sure if anyone taking up at that price.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
1Notti has written a good analysis from his point of view. Good to share thoughts and brain storm a bit. Here's my contribution:

I asked myself where's the best place to invest in JB 2 years back. Not easy as you need to do a lot of homework. It was like Scudai /Tampoi area or Permas Jaya area. Even drove to Senibong and of course to Medini / Puteri Harbour. You need to "feel" the area. Everyone has their own personal liking, so yours and mine is different.

Zone A seemed to be exciting but historical data showed that while there is capital appreciation, the rental yields are pretty poor. Visited my friends in Orchid Tower and also another one near York Hotel. You drive around there and have meals in those coffee shops and you can feel who's who frequenting those areas. JB town center has scores of people and quite exciting but as in any exciting town, there's tendency that the town would be a bit rough. Those who invested in the past would be making good but for those who want to buy at nowadays prices, it is better to be prudent. My take is with so many condos like Tropicana Danga and Country Garden plus those Setia projects, it would be a tenant market. But for own stay, absolutely no problem. Again this is my personal thinking.

Next went to Medini, the first impression is there are endless vacant land. Plenty of planned projects with hoardings and earthwork equipment but very little activity. Even so, there's big time announcements of projects to be undertaken, my take is these projects are too sparsely distributed. If Putrajaya/ Cyberjaya is used as a guideline as it is also a greenfield development, it would take about 15 years to be what it is today and it is still not very frequented by outsiders. It is more of self contained township, more family orientated and of course Educity. Medini could be faster in maturing, but it would be at least 10 years. So it is not for me. But one thing for sure, it is a lot cheaper than PH. So for own stay, it is worth it.

And how the hell did I end up in Encorp T2 at Puteri Harbour? Answer is I really do not know. I let my emotion take over. Actually I told my friends it is RM1100 psf, they said, I am crazy. For the same price, I can get a top notch Mont Kiara Condo. Maybe I like the sea or maybe I was looking for a holiday home. I told myself if Traders Hotel and Somerset can be there, I can't go very wrong. On hindsight, the CIQ is there, the land is limited and freehold, the Robert Kuok group is developing there and the Wellness Center is nearby. Behind is the Government Admin Center and further to the left, the Bandaraya is doing the Emerald Bay. Including Pinetree Hotel, there would be 3 hotels there, so go where the smell is.

Again PH is a place where it is not good for flipping or instant returns. Anyway, it would be 2017 when most projects are completed.

Joke of the day: I thought I bought a 2 room unit in Encorp and didn't even know it is a dual key unit consisting of 2 units of 1 room joined together until I signed the Sale agreement. Life is funny...let's not stress ourselves too much.

Isnt that great? You can keep 2 mistress instead of one!