• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is this Canadian Doctor for Real - Type 2 Diabetes is Reversible?

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kudos to you!

What you have described I truly believe you are doing it properly and soundly.

Like you said it is not for everyone. I had patients who also went off their DM meds with very drastic diet and lifestyle changes.

I dont know about your doctor but for my patients if they do want to do something like what you did I would have open discussion with them and suggest they start on their plan without going off meds right away. We can wean off as appropriate as we go along. Do the tests to check that the plan is working etc.

With regards to ACE inhibitor looks like Perindopril 4mg might be too much for you causing hypotension. But being on a small dose of ACE or ARB might have renoprotective effects independent of the BP lowering effects. So there might be value in taking a small dose maybe half? 2mg?

Just a suggestion. Doctors these days need to be more open minded. Medicine should not be one size fits all. Having said that I am not sure how SMC treats cases like this.

Many times it is dr actuallu very scared they come across as doing the "wrong thing" causing harm and may get into trouble for not following the guidelines.

Dont blame them. It is the system that almost demands all doctors just follow.
My doctor advice was not to take anymore....I do listen sometimes .

I counter checked by doing the various lab test . Before I began this journey, my e-GFR was 60 , latest e-GFR 122 , so kidney function seems to be going in the right direction.
My Liver Function test, latest ALT was 15 mu/ml ( unlikely to have fatty liver ) so again everything is all in the right direction. I dont really consult any doctor . I just fixed an appointment for the various lab test and I do not even go thru the results with the doctor. There are so many information available that you can search to understand your condition.

FYI there is an American Doctor that is based in SG , he does actively push lifestyle changes as a form of managing Diabetes....he is not afraid to be outside of the guidelines.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
@asenmaga in my line of work now I do get patients asking me about using CBD to manage Diabetes and Hypertension.

Many anecdotal reports from patients saying good results. Some self medicate before coming to me. Most have been taking CBD for pain or anxiety and also have DM and HTN and found to have additional benefits in improving their DM and HTN.

I am careful though. I tell them there are no proper studies to show that CBD can treat DM and HTN. So I will not prescribe CBD for those conditions as the sole indication. But if you have pain and anxiety I can. If the patient insists he or she has no pain no anxiety no other reason except wanting to use CBD to lower BP and go off DM meds eventually I tell them sorry no I wont write Rx for them. They can choose fo go buy it themselves (it is legally available in stores) and try I cannot stop them. But me writing an Rx means it is under my direction and I have to advise dosing and also be able to counsel on safety etc. This I cannot do safely without any acceptee guidelines on how to use CBD for DM and HTN. See the difference?

Endocannabinoid system. Expect more research into this field in the coming years.

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
The American , is an Oncologist and has a practice in Singapore . I have met other SG doctors as well who are receptive but won't want to be quoted official .

There are many medical professionals that have youtube talks/lectures on various methods from
USA , UK , Canada , Australia and even in Taiwan . I find many of them informative and useful .

There is one Taiwanese Prof / Doctor , his main area is actually Obesity and he was one himself and he has managed to reduced his weights greatly by going a diet plan . He is open minded and considerate various plan accordingly .

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me post a Youtube talk from this Taiwanese Doctor . He is a regular guest on this Taiwanese radio station . ( If I remembered correctly you are an ex Sporean of non chinese origin ... it is in mandarin ...if you don't understand I will try to find a english ones later .)

Maybe other members here can benefit from this radio talk .

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one is in English (just to show that there are many valuable lectures/talks that one can find on Youtube if one care to look for it ).

Last edited:

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am chinese lah.

Anyway no need to convert me. I am a proponent of alternative medicine or integrated medicine. I trained under one of the pioneers in this field in Singapore.

There are many many different ways to manage diabetes. There is no one size fits all. But naturally you go to a school of medicine they will use their methods.

What about TCM? Acupuncture? Chinese herbs? Also can be used.

In the end it is what the client wants and with time I realized I had to choose which field I am in. My licence is in western medicine. I am not licenced TCM. Also not officially designated naturopath or nutritionist.

No one size fits all cures all lah. Otherwise there will no longer be a need for debate or discussion right?

If one has interest to research and find what they feel is best for them please do. But there is no need to go around telling each professional they are wrong or right etc.

I know western medicine become too arrogant and full of themselves sometimes go arounx disparaging other health care professionals like chiropractors and naturopaths etc. Which is where all this animosity and conflict arises from.

As a disciple of integrative medicine I am open minded. Except I have learned to restrain myself to be within fhe confines of what my practice licence entails.

Despite all the bravado from all these gurus and experts.....they all die themselves. As did my mentor from cancer. So whats the point in the end? No one lives forever. And that itself proves that we do not really have all the answers patients want.

Sure beat T2DM. No more meds. It is good. But does it mean no stress on body? Free radicals? Inflamation? Cancer risk?

From what I have seen, those who beat DM beat HTN beat CVD. Well they die of cancer then. And fasting does not cure cancer. Often when get cancer they cannot continue with the lifestyle mods they are using to beat DM and HTN anymore. Ironically many who kena cancer will find their DM and HTN actually gets better as the cancer gets worse too. But nobodu touts getting cancer as how they beat DM and HTN!
I am not trying to convert anyone , as can be seen from my posting. I never for one says that my method is the only one( I did not even state which method I used) ?

I keep stressing that one needs to find one that fits them ? If I read what you have typed, clearly you are trying to persuade that many doctors "hands are tied" because of guidelines ?

I show you this video, firstly to show U there a medically professionals that are prepared not to follow guidelines and have the courage to speak their mind.

According to what I posted, clearly I have "hinted" there are many SG doctors that are not prepared to go outside the guidelines, and you yourself have posted that to understand their difficulties ?

This is just one example, even in Taiwan you can have such a doctor willing to speak what is good for his patients ? There are another two Taiwanese Doctors that are working in Government Hospital in Taiwan that are recommending a certain diet plan, but I have not posted here because , I believe those that have interest find other ways to manage their diabetes should do their own research and due diligence.

Dont know how you got the feeling I am trying to convert you , maybe you care to point me to it ?

Again the video I posted if you understand, are not pushing any diet plan, it is just a mandarin explanation of a Banting Award winner lecture ( since your are Chinese you should be able to understand right ? So where is it that you got the feeling I am trying to convert U ?

Thanks

Last edited:

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
As posted in my first reply. I only post on stuff I have experience in, since I am T2D for more than 20 years I definitely have that .

Again , in any one of my post did I say medicine was BAD, If you read correctly... I stated quite clearly that I was reluctant to cut out my ACE inhibitor since it has kidney protection benefit ...what does that imply to u....that clearly if there is merits to have that medication i would take them, where in my post did I say medication is not important ?

I only stated that food choices and lifestyles changes have no money for big Pharm and medical professionals, ... do you not agree with this statement. ?

Your message is addressed to me.. which clearly in every post, I have clearly stated not everyone s body is the same, one have to find what works for them.....means It can be medications if that is what their choice and food choice and lifestyle change if they decide so , so I am trying hard to search where in my messaging that I gave you that impression and also that I try to convert you ?

Like I asked before care to point to me which part of my message I try to convert you. ?

My aim of posting have always been to share my experience on topics that I personally have experience..... up till now I have not even posted what type of food choices and lifestyle changes I did ? How can that be taken as trying to convert without stating it ?

Last edited:

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
I apologize for using the phrase "try to convert me".

I guess it is just how I felt from reading all the posts. Probably not from you but from generally everyone else as a whole.

Pharma is bad. Medicine is bad. It seems to be the fad now and it is a dangerous slope we are heading into if you ask me.

Again sorry I was wrong to say those things to you. Again I am not posting specifically to you but to everyone as a whole although the posts are replies to you.

I understand and accept what you said so far. In my first post to you I gave kudos to you.

Peace brother or sister. Hope you accept my apology.

This thing also about no money for drs. It is true. Who would pay to go see a dr teach them to fast? Just watch youtube video.

End of day dr is a job too. But just because drs are paid to treat patients does it make it bad? Like you said right it does not. So why bring it up?

I honestly dont think that when it comes to managing DM and HTN drs follow guidelines because rhey want to earn money lah. It is not lucrative business managing DM and HTN.

It is that whole money talk again. A bit along the lines like Dr X died from covid but he was kind dr keep fees low to help needy patients.

So if dr give free Metformin feee consult for DM patients......?

And some link to how people get angry PAP ministers earning million dollar salaries.

Sigh.

i am quite jaded and tired when it comes to medicine. Actually I have walked away from it already. I just feel deep inside that most people hate drs and view drs as pawns of evil pharma.

It is so ridiculous that I also have medical cannabis patients accuse me of being on evil pharma side trying to discredit cannabis when I tell them pleaee dont drive while using cannabis.

Medical cannabis really nothing to do with pharma. It is made and sold by same guys selling recreational pot.
Thanks for clarifying , because I am careful not to send the wrong messaging across. I always welcome friendly exchange and I just hope that I dont offend anyone with my sharing or people getting the wrong messaging from it.

Indeed there are many pitfalls in going into something without medical supervision and that is the reasons is why I don't indicate which food choices( diet plans) or lifestyle changes. I am not medically qualify to make any recommendations.

My giving examples or giving example of doctors in Taiwan able to speak their mind on what they feel best for their patients even though it maybe against guidelines is because I realized that in SG there is a growing pool of T2Ds who are basically managing their diabetes with 'plans" by themselves.

I feel that it could potentially be problematic if they did not do enough due diligence and could get into dangerous situations.(such as DKA). Thus I think it is best that MOH and medical professionals are open minded and provide the necessary guidance or even setting up a different section in one of the hospital to manage such cases. ( there was a case one of who was T2D and didn't realized that her body produces almost no insulin and got into DKA).

Anyway going out for a walk, I am happy that I didnt give u the wrong impression. thanks once again.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly I only post on stuff I have experienced in .
I am a T2D for more than 20 years . I was on Metformin , Novonorm for diabetes and also ACE Inhibitor for High blood Pressure and for protection of Kidney .

Before I started my Journey into T2D remission , I went to consult my regular family GP . Only thing I had from him , he was against it and only stressed medication as the only form .

Even After a heated debate , I still decided to followed what I had planned since I spend lot of time on various research and due diligence .

On the third day I was able to be off all diabetic medications ( it is important to test very often since you are at risk of Low blood glucose if your are on blood glucose lowering medication).

After 1 month , I also took off my ACE inhibitor as my blood pressure was getting too low and I discussed with the doctor whether there was any lower dosage , there wasn't since I was taking the lowest at 4mg .

It was the only medication I was reluctant to give up since it has kidney protection benefit but was forced to give up since my BP was getting low and felt "light headed"

I lost more than 10 kg during my journey . As stated clearly in my previous post , what works for me may not works for everyone, one need to find one they are comfortable with and able to maintain it over the long haul , need to be a lifestyle .

I test my blood glucose on a regular basis , morning fasting , before meal and after meal. I also used CGM whenever I am trying to experiment something .

During this journey my Hba1c range have been 4.9% to 5.4% . Fasting BG have been 6 to 4.3 mmol/L .

I do an annual test for , Fasting Blood Glucose , Fasting Serum Insulin and also Fasting C Peptide. ( also various liver and kidney function lab test ).

There is one American who like to send me various research and clinical studies to justify what is the best method etc etc.

As far as I am concerned , there could be 10,000 clinical studies but it is not what my body can adapt to it is pointless .

I am a believer of N=1 experiment, 1 being myself . If after trying out for 1-3 months and all parameters seems to be in the optimum range , than that will be the one for me .

After more than 3 years on this journey , my hba1c have not gone above 5.4% . Unfortunately in SG you can only take the normal OGTT which don't really tell u the full picture. You need to have the Insulin Assay with it to know the full picture ( Kraft test).

There is no money for the big Pharm and medical professionals that is why very few are receptive to you trying to use food choices and lifestyle changes .

The America Diabetes Association 's CEO Tracy Brown who is also a T2D manages her condition by using food choices too .

Ps as can be seen from my post , I am not pushing any form of plan ,I have listed a few and it is up to individual to find one that fits them.

Only cautious I would add is make sure that your body is still producing Insulin before beginning as there are potential life threatening situation for them in some situation .
Hi Asenmaga.

Really interesting your journey.

Mind sharing what your exact regime was? i.e. what exercise, duration/intensity, diet you did? I know you mentioned that you are not pushing anything, but I would really like the benefit of your personal experience.

Thanks.

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Asenmaga.

Really interesting your journey.

Mind sharing what your exact regime was? i.e. what exercise, duration/intensity, diet you did? I know you mentioned that you are not pushing anything, but I would really like the benefit of your personal experience.

Thanks.
Hi Nightsafari

Let me share with you what I did but I wont go into specific food choice or diet plan
but I have already mentioned a lot of those diet plans in my earlier post.

Do note I am not medically qualified to give medical advice only sharing what I did.
It may work for me but may not work for someone else. You need to find one that suits your body.

Take Note I am speaking as a T2D ( T1D is totally different !)

First thing to do 1) Get all the Lab tests done to get a baseline of your metabolic health situations.
a) Fasting Blood Glucose , b) Fasting Insulin, c) Fasting C peptide.
(b and c very important if you are doing Fasting and or ketogenic and or very low carb plan.

2) All your Lipids Panel
3) Liver and Kidney Function test.

Ideally you also need to check for heart health but too costly so I skipped this part ( A CT calcium score could be helpful)

Next get yourself a Blood Glucose Meter . ( CAUTIOUS IF you are on BLOOD GLUCOSE lowering medication you need to test often to ensure you are not in Hypo or low blood glucose. )

First day. the night before have your last meal before 7pm. ;- wake up, test your blood glucose, which will be your fasting Blood Glucose reading, in Singapore it is in mmol/L. Ideally you would like to have a reading of around 5 mmoi/L or lower.

If you are not on any BG lowering Medication even at 4.3 mmol/L or lower you wont have the shaky and sweating feeling of Hypo.
Note your reading in a diary. Take your breakfast. Record what are the food you are taking , eg 1 hard boiled eggs, two slices of wholemeal bread , butter jam etc etc if possible estimate the quantity of the butter and jam... eg 1 Table spoon . ( you can download Myfitnesspal Apps to assist ).

At 1 hour after Breakfast take a reading of your BG reading.
Here we are trying to find the peak BG reading, for most people it is at 1 hour after and some at 1 1/2 hours and also depending on what type of food you are taking...If you drink fruit juices than It could come as quickly as half hour. Oily or fatty food will delay the spike . Suggest for the first few days keep the food simple.

For me I personally tried to keep my spike to 1.6mmol/L and below.

You do the same type of test for your lunch and dinner. Try to have maximum three meals a day without snacking. When you do this "experiment, it is advisable to keep a food diary with the coresponding BG readings. After 1 week you will realized what are the food that gives you the most BG spike. Either you completely skip them for the time being, or you try to experiment with the quantity your body can accept.

That is a summary of how I got started. Now slightly into details....again I stressed I am NOT saying my method is the right one or the only one, It is what works for me.

From the above, you will soon come to realized that Sugar, Fruits , Rice , wheat , bread will give you a big Blood Glucose spike. Whether it is white rice or brown rice or red rice they all give you a blood glucose spike same with all wheat whether wholemeal or plain white flour or oats.

Like I have stated before, there are many food choices plans or diets ... Whole Food Plant Based , Low Carbohydrate , Ketogenic , Carnivore , Intermittent Fasting , Time Restricted Feeding ; GI Index , GI load etc etc . You can search Youtube for the above topics.

Ensured that you follow those that are from medical professionals (eg the Taiwanese Doctor Youtube I posted -he is famous in Taiwan for his 211 plate for personal weight lost journey ie. half the plate of veggies , the balance 25 pct protein and 25 carbs ).

Personally I have tried basically most of them and adapted them for my convenient.

When trying out any plan, it is best to find a doctor who is opened minded and willing to listen to what the patient wants, there are a few in Singapore but they are not aggressively pushing them because of MOH although the American Doctor I would consider as one of the most receptive to different methodology. ( There is one new Medical clinic group in Singapore that are somewhat receptive to different methods too, including having dietitian and exercise coach, if you need the name , pm me ).

Before you get into Fasting, you need to do proper due diligence. - that is why I still do an annual Fasting Insulin and C peptide to ensure that my pancreas is still producing normal insulin level.

If you going to the very low carbs and or ketogenic diet and fasting, you need to get yourself a Blood Ketone meter.
For a normal T2D you wont get into Ketoacidosis .
A blood ketone meter is also to check on your blood ketones level ( urine ketone strips is not very good).
Do a search and find out more about Ketoacidosis and the difference between nutritional ketosis , even medically professional sometimes misunderstood the two.

Physical activity : any form of physical activity helps. I normally take a slow walk daily, usually about 8 km. can be before food or after food.
The best is 15 to 20 mins after food, it will help to tempered the blood glucose spike ( again...If you are on BG lowering medication, you need to be careful, it can caused your BG to drop drastically... so ensure you have sweets around if you are in such a situation ).

Whatever method you decided make sure you test and test and test your BG levels. During the initial phase I did all my lab tests every three months to see the various perimeters .

Sorry for being long winded...because I dont want to be seen pushing any particular diet plan.......so this is the only way without being pointing in any particular plan.
Let me list what is important :-

1) Food Choices ( my opinion , most important 80 pct of your chance to success )
2) Sleep
3) controlling stress level
4) Physical activity ( slow walk as long as from 30-40 mins daily )
5) Fasting is optional , but can be very effective for some if done the right way and with all the precautious taken .

Your Age also matter on which plan to decide, because if you are older , you need to have a bit more protein....

In any plan there is pros and cons... so weigh your risk rewards and decide whether you can accept those risk that you are taking if you embark on this plan or that plan. Always know what you are getting into.

Last edited:

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have corresponded with a few medical professionals, whether it is lead investigator in clinical studies etc etc , the general consensus is , we have
"dinosaurs" in the MOH unwilling to try out new things.

It is not true that money talks... at least for me and also some other SG social media T2Ds that I am in touch with, we are prepared to share and teach others if they have interest to choose the Food Choice options without being paid but I don't think MOH will ever allow that to happen.

In fact , the Health Promotion Board of Singapore ( which is funded by MOH) had a short film on a group of Diabetes that managed to be in in remission, but the key subject matter how did they do it was censored and they only show them during exercising and encouraging each other to eat healthily without mentioning what food etc etc ? I don't know those persons in the video personally but I do know which type of diet they were on.

Most of the time I tried to volunteer and participate in Clinical trials for diabetes but unfortunately I normally do not qualify because the requirement has always been a Hba1c of 6.5 % and above.

I am sure you are aware there are clinical dietitian which the hospital will allocate to one, once someone is diagnosed to be in pre diabetes or diabetes. MY brother in law managed to cure his pre diabetes by following the recommendation of the dietitian and exercise program.
The only thing there is no data available to see how many and how successful the various treatment in the hospital.

Last edited:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
My doctor advice was not to take anymore....I do listen sometimes .

I counter checked by doing the various lab test . Before I began this journey, my e-GFR was 60 , latest e-GFR 122 , so kidney function seems to be going in the right direction.
My Liver Function test, latest ALT was 15 mu/ml ( unlikely to have fatty liver ) so again everything is all in the right direction. I dont really consult any doctor . I just fixed an appointment for the various lab test and I do not even go thru the results with the doctor. There are so many information available that you can search to understand your condition.

FYI there is an American Doctor that is based in SG , he does actively push lifestyle changes as a form of managing Diabetes....he is not afraid to be outside of the guidelines.
How did you managed to get those test done without a loctor orlar ?

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
How did you managed to get those test done without a loctor orlar ?
a lot of private clinic have different type of health screening . You just make an appointment for them to draw blood. When the results is out , just collect them without seeing the doctor. There are some the doctor wants to go thru the results with u but if you know what you are doing , you just listen what he has to say and later can decline his recommendation etc etc. Normally the package comes with consultation and it is up to u whether u want consultation or not. Most time I just collect the result and analyses the data myself.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Nightsafari

Let me share with you what I did but I wont go into specific food choice or diet plan
but I have already mentioned a lot of those diet plans in my earlier post.

Do note I am not medically qualified to give medical advice only sharing what I did.
It may work for me but may not work for someone else. You need to find one that suits your body.

Take Note I am speaking as a T2D ( T1D is totally different !)

First thing to do 1) Get all the Lab tests done to get a baseline of your metabolic health situations.
a) Fasting Blood Glucose , b) Fasting Insulin, c) Fasting C peptide.
(b and c very important if you are doing Fasting and or ketogenic and or very low carb plan.

2) All your Lipids Panel
3) Liver and Kidney Function test.

Ideally you also need to check for heart health but too costly so I skipped this part ( A CT calcium score could be helpful)

Next get yourself a Blood Glucose Meter . ( CAUTIOUS IF you are on BLOOD GLUCOSE lowering medication you need to test often to ensure you are not in Hypo or low blood glucose. )

First day. the night before have your last meal before 7pm. ;- wake up, test your blood glucose, which will be your fasting Blood Glucose reading, in Singapore it is in mmol/L. Ideally you would like to have a reading of around 5 mmoi/L or lower.

If you are not on any BG lowering Medication even at 4.3 mmol/L or lower you wont have the shaky and sweating feeling of Hypo.
Note your reading in a diary. Take your breakfast. Record what are the food you are taking , eg 1 hard boiled eggs, two slices of wholemeal bread , butter jam etc etc if possible estimate the quantity of the butter and jam... eg 1 Table spoon . ( you can download Myfitnesspal Apps to assist ).

At 1 hour after Breakfast take a reading of your BG reading.
Here we are trying to find the peak BG reading, for most people it is at 1 hour after and some at 1 1/2 hours and also depending on what type of food you are taking...If you drink fruit juices than It could come as quickly as half hour. Oily or fatty food will delay the spike . Suggest for the first few days keep the food simple.

For me I personally tried to keep my spike to 1.6mmol/L and below.

You do the same type of test for your lunch and dinner. Try to have maximum three meals a day without snacking. When you do this "experiment, it is advisable to keep a food diary with the coresponding BG readings. After 1 week you will realized what are the food that gives you the most BG spike. Either you completely skip them for the time being, or you try to experiment with the quantity your body can accept.

That is a summary of how I got started. Now slightly into details....again I stressed I am NOT saying my method is the right one or the only one, It is what works for me.

From the above, you will soon come to realized that Sugar, Fruits , Rice , wheat , bread will give you a big Blood Glucose spike. Whether it is white rice or brown rice or red rice they all give you a blood glucose spike same with all wheat whether wholemeal or plain white flour or oats.

Like I have stated before, there are many food choices plans or diets ... Whole Food Plant Based , Low Carbohydrate , Ketogenic , Carnivore , Intermittent Fasting , Time Restricted Feeding ; GI Index , GI load etc etc . You can search Youtube for the above topics.

Ensured that you follow those that are from medical professionals (eg the Taiwanese Doctor Youtube I posted -he is famous in Taiwan for his 211 plate for personal weight lost journey ie. half the plate of veggies , the balance 25 pct protein and 25 carbs ).

Personally I have tried basically most of them and adapted them for my convenient.

When trying out any plan, it is best to find a doctor who is opened minded and willing to listen to what the patient wants, there are a few in Singapore but they are not aggressively pushing them because of MOH although the American Doctor I would consider as one of the most receptive to different methodology. ( There is one new Medical clinic group in Singapore that are somewhat receptive to different methods too, including having dietitian and exercise coach, if you need the name , pm me ).

Before you get into Fasting, you need to do proper due diligence. - that is why I still do an annual Fasting Insulin and C peptide to ensure that my pancreas is still producing normal insulin level.

If you going to the very low carbs and or ketogenic diet and fasting, you need to get yourself a Blood Ketone meter.
For a normal T2D you wont get into Ketoacidosis .
A blood ketone meter is also to check on your blood ketones level ( urine ketone strips is not very good).
Do a search and find out more about Ketoacidosis and the difference between nutritional ketosis , even medically professional sometimes misunderstood the two.

Physical activity : any form of physical activity helps. I normally take a slow walk daily, usually about 8 km. can be before food or after food.
The best is 15 to 20 mins after food, it will help to tempered the blood glucose spike ( again...If you are on BG lowering medication, you need to be careful, it can caused your BG to drop drastically... so ensure you have sweets around if you are in such a situation ).

Whatever method you decided make sure you test and test and test your BG levels. During the initial phase I did all my lab tests every three months to see the various perimeters .

Sorry for being long winded...because I dont want to be seen pushing any particular diet plan.......so this is the only way without being pointing in any particular plan.
Let me list what is important :-

1) Food Choices ( my opinion , most important 80 pct of your chance to success )
2) Sleep
3) controlling stress level
4) Physical activity ( slow walk as long as from 30-40 mins daily )
5) Fasting is optional , but can be very effective for some if done the right way and with all the precautious taken .

Your Age also matter on which plan to decide, because if you are older , you need to have a bit more protein....

In any plan there is pros and cons... so weigh your risk rewards and decide whether you can accept those risk that you are taking if you embark on this plan or that plan. Always know what you are getting into.
wow! super! :thumbsup:

super comprehensive! and really very thorough. I especially appreciate the care you take to distinguish between T1 and T2 and to have all the various checks in place such as compensating for BG lowering meds, more protein when older. really excellent! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I will definitely experiment with your protocol.

I know that you did mention that you don't want to be seen to be pushing any particular diet plan, but I for one would be curious to experiment with the one that achieved such results for you if you don't mind sharing it with me. Would beat brute force trial and error. I know my results may differ and all, but I am really curious now to know what and how often you eat. Again, if you feel like sharing it... :smile:

Anyway thanks for the comprehensive reply and thanks for your contribution. :thumbsup:

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am always happy to help another T2D .

Do note there is also nothing wrong in choosing the medication option . I did that for 15-17 years too , up till now without much diabetes complications . ( Only problem I had was increasing dosage ).

Basically what I did is already listed in my post , if you read carefully you should be able to decipher it .

The only thing I forgot to add , the first three months I kept to a calories deficit ( about 1k daily ) .

The other reasons is why I want whoever who is interested; is to do some research , by searching youtube and internet . This will unable the person to learn more and will be motivated to "stick on" with the plan that he himself have finally decided on . You will also remember the various pitfalls and know how to troubleshoot and adjust if you are doing the "leg work " .

Of course the starting off is important to learn more about Insulin resistance ( the two videos I posted is a good start ).

Finally If you still needs it , just pm me I will give you in private which protocol I used from start till now what I have adjusted .

Will reply tom as I made it a point to sleep at 10 pm . ( I wear a fitbit watch to sleep , it analyse your sleep the next day ).

Have a nice evening .

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sorry you feel that way .

It is better to prick your fingers to check and manage your blood glucose rather loose control
and maybe have your limbs cut off due to uncontrolled BG ?

There are CGM that are available which you put on for 14 days but it is expensive . In SG first time users , first one SGD 59 after that around SGD 92 .

There are many other clinic both in the USA , UK and Canada that does manage their diabetes patient thru diet and fasting . Eg in Canada , Dr Jason Fong has one ; USA , Virta Health ; UK Dr David Unwin just to name a few .