• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is there a steeplejacking of the Kent Ridge Common?

Zenra2OO3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been observing the latest developments at the Kent Ridge Common.

Maybe Temasek Review may not be the bad guys. I hope TOC and Temasek Review do not suffer the same fate.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11/02/kelvin-teo-explains/

Lester, just so you know that I am not joking when I said I do check and do call, the new KRC is now headed by a Scholar Lady from MOE and is it the MAIN REASON why Kelvin wanted out, the details of WHY is clearly known to you.

Anyway, I am really not interested in the politics of KRC’s affairs and posted what I have learnt from a source I trust to be reliable and I appreciate your update to the whole silly fiasco.

However, you yourself admitted that you have changed the login to the shared hosting account which is registered in your name, then HOW ON EARTH can “The control of the entire site is in Kelvin’s hands now. The SQL databases containing all of our articles and information is only accessible to him, and him only. We are still awaiting for him to give us our old articles back”?

I am quite familiar with cpanel myself having toyed with it and created the chinese language addons for chinese users. I certainly know that once you have access to cpanel, you have control of EVERYTHING under that panel, be it email, mysql, etc etc. So then I fail to see your claim that Kelvin is instead having your articles?

UNLESS of course Kelvin still has the shared account login information but thats quite unbelievable because you are the registered owner/client of the said account and all you needed to do was to contact the host and have the password login reset.

Eitherway, like I have said in my previous post, to each his own, lets settle this matter amicably like 2 mature adults.

Agree to meet in the centre and each take his own data back and get the site up and running and to be fair to Kelvin, he did explicitly indicated in this thread that “I will also do my best to transfer articles not written by me back to the Kent Ridge Common’s owners”.

I am not sure who has the control panel login to cpanel but the one who has it should simply just facilitate the other party or his trusted appointee to download the data and move on.

I am willing to help grab the data if you think it would help to resolve this issue amicably.

My contact is [email protected] if I can be of any assistance.

I have been a fan of Kelvin Teo's writings, who have been critical. In fact, he is never one to praise the old or the PAP. I do not recall Kelvin Teo ever publishing such an article. But after Kelvin Teo left KRC publish this article, which is really an apple-polisher for the old man.

LKY: through the eyes of an Outsider

Jonathan Brice is a junior in Economics and Political Science at the University of North Carolina. He is also a Business Adminstration Minor from the Kenan-Flagler Business School. He is currently on an exchange program at The National University of Singapore.

Through a series of peculiar occurrences, I ended up in a Chinese tutorial with Lester Lim. Lester is a Singaporean Senior who had studied abroad at the University of Illinois. As a former exchange student, Lester knew how hard it is to get acclimated to a new environment, and sought to cure my confusion and friendlessness.

In an attempt to make my experience memorable, Lester got me a press pass to the NUS Kent ridge Ministerial Forum to hear Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. As an honorary member of The Kent Ridge Common staff, I ventured to have one of my most memorable Singaporean experiences. As I was told by my fellow classmates before the event, “This is like getting to see Obama!”

So what makes MM Lee so special? “In the 1960s, Singapore was a third world country with a GNP per capita of less than US$320. Infrastructure was poor, there was little capital; the handful of industries produced only for domestic consumption. Low-end commerce was the mainstay of the economy, and there was little or no direct foreign investment.” (Economics and Development Board of Singapore, 2009) After MM Lee gained power in 1968, he led Singapore to great heights, making it a model for economic and infrastructure development. Currently, Singapore has one of the highest GNP per capita in the world, and was recently named the most innovative country in the world. Because of the way MM Lee helped develop modern Singapore, he is still widely recognized as the most powerful man in the country, despite the fact that he holds no direct political power.

The grandeur of the situation didn’t really hit me until the day before, as I was contacted by an anonymous figure in order to verify my identification information. Moreover, when I got to the event, we had to go through two levels of security that reminded me of an airport during the holiday season.

Once we got inside the venue, the light refreshments and soft classical music helped put the mood at ease. Once the music stopped, everything seemed to cease as the room went silence. Seconds later, the side door to the auditorium opened and all eyes were on the 86 year old Lee Kuan Yew

As he made his way to the stage, he was nothing like I expected. Instead of an uptight dignitary, what I saw before me was a regularly dressed guy with a coy smile and an inviting aura.

As he raised his hands to greet the audience, the room erupted in applause and a sort of excitement seemed to fill the room. Over the next hour, MM Lee went on to answer nine handpicked questions from the crowd of students, teachers, and dignitaries. Although his answers were rehearsed and covered somewhat mundane topics, he still said them in a way that served to draw you in.

The questions asked covered topics such as American hegemony, the Kyoto protocol, minimum wage, and the LKY legacy. On the question concerning American hegemony, MM Lee expressed the general idea that America is in decline. He believed that in 20 to 30 years, China would have a GDP equal to that of the US; furthermore, he expressed the idea that the current/past (depending on who you are) financial crisis has only shortened that time frame. Perhaps the most controversial topic discussed was the lack of a minimum wage in Singapore, and how that has led to increased income inequality. Nevertheless, to call that question controversial would be equivalent to calling Duke Basketball a good team. His answer only served to solidify his very laissez-faire view of government, as he made it clear that in the end, it is better to have a low paying job then not have one at all.

Despite his age, MM Lee was a great orator; through his linguistic charm, one could easily see how he handily won over a country. Almost every answer was answered with a joke, and his laid back manner made it very easy to relate. MM Lee is one of the few people with the rare ability to turn any conversation topic into something interesting, and being able to experience that firsthand made the evening worthwhile.

It is getting interesting. A Scholar Lady is involved. According to a friend in civil service, scholars are not supposed to participate in ventures that can be critical of a political party and government. Friend calls it conflict of interest.

There is definitely more to it than meets the eye at the Kent Ridge Common. I never remember reading such an apple polishing article from Kelvin Teo.

And after Kelvin's departure, it seems like there is a depoliticizing process. The latest 2 articles are about travels and Ris Low.

Last edited:

Zenra2OO3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some interesting discussions from the Temasek Review.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11/02/kelvin-teo-explains/

#

soojenn on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 3:44 am

Well, well.. asking the key writer and contributor of articles on the site to leave? Seems more to it than meets the eye.

Now that the readership for the KRC has risen, this Scholar lady from MOE is heading it? Why the sudden interest? What has she contributed in the past and what can she contribute to the KRC? Well let’s watch and see the direction the KRC will take…

Well good for you Kevin, to move on … your articles have been refreshing and we look forward to see this on a site that supports you
#

Canny thoughts on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 4:03 am

It is obvious that no one is the sole person to be blamed for this saga. Hwever, it is evident to me that Lester Lim does not emerge to be an effective leader although he wants desperately to be one (like the current USA president). From his posts (here as well as his notice at KRC site), he is just blaming Kelvin Teo for what has happened without taking a good look at his own actions. What has he done besides from putting blame on Kelvin Teo? Lester’s credibility also comes into question from his numerous accusations of Kelvin without evidence of any sort. He claimed that Kelvin Teo was TOLD TO LEAVE but is there any evidence that he can use to back up his claims? Has Lester attempted to do anything concrete to improve the situation besides from acting like a victim? If he is all talk and no action, I seriously think Lester Lim is wasting everybody’s time.
#

soojenn on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 4:04 am

Just went to the KRC website and note this -
“The Kent Ridge Common will be back soon – bigger, better and stronger.”

Hmmm.. wonder who is helping them to get bigger and stronger? better – let’s see
#

KRC_Kena_Steeplejacked on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 4:29 am

Hehehehe, Soojenn, you have beaten me to it. MOE scholar taking charge…..long time and star writer told the leave…

I thought AWARE got steeplejacked, but this sounds like a steeplejack. Old member told to the leave. What a saga!
#

Canny thoughts on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 6:00 am

In fact, as smart onlookers, we should look beyound the obvious. Why did KRC encounter such mishaps recently? This leads us back to a year ago or so when KRC first came into existence. What is the original objectives and style of running KRC? Is it because the original objectives and style of management no longer hold that led to this saga? Some new members might well be trying to temper with writers’ autonomy to publicarion and rights to sources of communication. For instance, the “Scholar Lady from MOE” who joined KRC recently which some mentioned, could she be one of the factors for Kelvin’s so called “termination”? And Kelvin’s subsequent action(IF true) of seizing the server might well sprung from self-defence – To protect his articles before it gets destroyed. Kelvin Teo’s departure from KRC might well be a result of some internal clash of ideals to the way to publication as well as management style. Looking forawrd, KRC might be on the path to be led by some scholats who spread their creeds. =) Let’s see what eventually unfolds……
#

Ark on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 6:01 am

seriously, if Kelvin is contributor for 90% of the content, he can do what he wants. Don’t fuck around with your content providers
#

Churuya on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 8:18 am

@Aloysius Chua

Scholar Lady from MOE explains everything. Do you know what civil servants do?

“Please your minister, make him happy.”

Now that’s a massive conflict of interest. If SLM REALLY wanted to contribute, she can only do so anonymously.

Does anyone have a real name to stick to SLM?

Nyoro-n
#

Aloysius Chua on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 8:47 am

@XiSd Tay on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 1:55 am

Do take a look at my comment closely. I did not mention “Scholar Lady from MOE”. In your original comment, it is you who typed “Scholar Lady from MOE”. I have separated the words to show how much of a difference “Scholar Lady” from “MOE” and your version makes when read. This is not twisted logic. The very fact that your comment was put in such a manner makes a difference to the reader.

It is indeed sad that people forming alternative voices are divided by such internal squabbles. By virtue of that comment, KRC’s integrity along with this lady has been put in question as can be seen in the above comments by netizen. It is not born out of twisted logic because when a comment is this skewed, it leaves no room for other interpretation. This one single comment and the the manner in which you presented your stand on this incident has now caused irrevocable damage to KRC. I quote canny thoughts and his view on certain scholars spreading their creeds. Is this not an example of how your comment on a government scholar has misled other readers to believe she is a government mole. Of course, this may or may not be true, but it is still irrelevant. By labeling her as “government”, it seals off her fate of being non-aligned. Let’s not be naive, not all civil servants are slaves to the political masters.

Again, by mentioning that this lady is currently in charge, it indirectly suggests that a power struggle has occurred. This may be of reasons we do not know of. By leaking this out, whether or not your source is accurate, does not give KRC a chance to defend themself. Comparisons with the AWARE saga is premature and absurd.
#

XiSd Tay on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 9:05 am

@Aloysius Chua,

A scholar from MOE means that she will be or is going to be a teacher or something along that line. I have always had the highest respect for teachers and never had any reason to question my beliefs. So please do not put words in my mouth.

What is the problem with reading the post as it is instead of showing how smart one can be? If I had wanted to say she is a mole, I would have said it, no reservations about that. Losses means losses, what bloody negative wealth added, you tell me? :(

Besides, whats wrong with being a civil servant? Sinkaporeans have nothing against Civil Servants, many are against the policies implemented by the PaPies, not those low in the food chain civil servants, ya?

Furthermore, if I had wanted to cast a bad image on KRC, there are other details I can write about, no need to just mention that it will be headed by a ‘teacher’.

There is nothing for KRC to defend or clarify unless I mistakenly posted that the current head of KRC is a Scholar from MOE when it is not. There is nothing wrong with a Scholar Lady heading KRC as long as she do her job fairly and properly.

Anyway, if there’s anyone damaging KRC, that would be you. I made a simple factually correct statement and you twisted my intended meaning and started insinuating everything absurd. It is plain and obvious that it was actually you who wanted to insinuate the above by making use of my post, making it appear as if I am the one saying that when in actual fact, it was your reply to my posts that spilled more.

Anyway, I say again, I am NOT INTERESTED in the office politics at KRC, merely offered to help as an independant 3rd party, after seeing 2 mature adults engaging in childish squabbles.
#

Anonymous on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 9:38 am

@ Aloysius Chua on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 1:32 am

Your arguments about Scholar Lady” from “MOE” are misplaced I honestly believe.

XisdTay already prequalified his comments and he did offered assistance which was publicly appreciated by Lester Lim. There is no curry chicken to be cooked when there is neither curry nor chicken, only potatoes.

Your interpretation looks very much to be in the substance of your own speculative conjecture.

You or anyone else cannot possibly “read” into someone’s mind -be it XisdTay or anyone else.

Leave clairvoyance to clairvoyance, please!
#

Churuya on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 10:46 am

@SLM
Can this mystery woman make some statement in KRC homepage?

@XiSd Tay
You say it like it actually is. I like you.

@Aloysius
to quote Alyosius -
“Let’s not be naive, not all civil servants are slaves to the political masters.”

I wonder who’s the real naive person here. Who’s doing her appraisal at the end of the day? Instructions passed down may not be in black and white. Dirty world it is.

If the issue of SLM taking over the KRC wasn’t brought to the light of day, readers would be clueless as to the change in editorial control. TR is sort of open about that, of course more information is welcome.

As always, it is the job of third parties to this event to ask questions, so forgive my hyperactiveness.

nyoro~n