• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is my salary?

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
is my salary ok?

I am a mechanical diploma holder
I start work in 1997
my gross pay is 3700
is my pay ok?

Last edited:

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
imo, it's ok.. but with just a diploma, u wont get much increase.. Starting this year, Taiwanese engineering degrees will be recognized.. that will make your pay even harder to sustain.

M.Bison

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: is my salary ok?

You are seriously overpaid, be thankful for that and maintain a good work attitude

On the contrary, that kind of pay is not enough for the standard of living in sinkieland today. 30 years mortgage for your pigeon hole.

amol

I start work in 1997
my gross pay is 3700
is my pay ok?

You need to give more detail what industry are you working at?
What is your basic pay without OT?
If you are working at semicon. manufacturing, you will get this amount including OT.
If you working at other industry or R&D, need to mindful what post you holding for this salary. if you are engineer and below your salary is high.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

According to IRAS, household income less than 5k is considered low income... So, with that.. you could probably work out which group u belong to..

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

I start work in 1997
my gross pay is 3700
is my pay ok?

Not enough info to comment.

Salary, to me, is a reflection of how much the company thinks you are worth, aka your contribution, your attitude towards your work, your performance, how long you are in this job, any promotion (if no for so long, then why ?)..., abeit the type of industry you are in.

For a high performer with your length of service since starting work, in certain industry, this value may just be your car allowance.

On flip side, for a low performer, $3,700 is $3,700 too much.

Hence, in reality, it depends as you did not provide enough info to comment.

Best regards.

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal

You need to give more detail what industry are you working at?
What is your basic pay without OT?
If you are working at semicon. manufacturing, you will get this amount including OT.
If you working at other industry or R&D, need to mindful what post you holding for this salary. if you are engineer and below your salary is high.

I am working in facility maintenance
3500 is basic pay+ 200 allowance
no OT is allow

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

I guess for a diploma holder, it is all right. If you have a family, you would need your wife to be working as well.

This will make you pissed but starting pay in some stats board (e.g. EDB) is around there.

prince123456

Alfrescian
Loyal
salary scale is how u can talk nice with your boss.

i you nice with your boss ok.. eyes closed... else.. no matter how hard u work.. your boss still will sabor u in your appraisel...

well boss also hire their cousin,nephew , uncle ,friends.. from the rich family background..

i know some bosses see who is your father/mother working and which company, to get customer from that company.. hire u lor .. :biggrin:

so the rich protect the rich family.. win win.. case..
:biggrin:

ccchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Except for some civil servants (including the gahmen ministers such as the PM,MM,SM and the President), most Sinkies are underpaid.

We need minimum wage and "Sinkies first" policy and less foreigners being let into the country indiscriminately in order to rectify the situation. Otherwise, the wages for most salaried Sinkies will decline, the income gap between the common people and the elites will keep increasing, and we shall remain underpaid forever.

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal

for facility maintenance...ur pay means you are engineer level...so you don't have the stress of ur boss and you don't have to do layman job like ur techs...you just have to contact contractors/vendors if anything is not working...so it's quite high for a low stress job like urs...

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are seriously overpaid, be thankful for that and maintain a good work attitude

Base on the very little info he gave, I agree with the overpaid part. Diploma holders normally have a lower pay range and $3700 is very good for someone of that qualifications. However this doesnt factor in nature of job, risk levels, OT etc so its hard to tell but $3700 is still pretty good. I know a lot of Uni graduates who earns less then that

Assuming AWS + 1 month bonus, you're getting $51,800(gross) per annum which more or less puts you at the 50% mark SG earners which is a lot better then it sounds. Bearing in mind that the pay goes up pretty much exponentially the more it goes up, 50% is a very good mark to hit
I used this site for the pay comparison btw
http://www.salary.sg/2009/compare-your-annual-income-2009/

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Sinkie standard, you're overpaid but by Sinkie living standard, it is not enough to sustain a family.

very diff to say overpaid or justifiable.

MIW will ask u to be contented with what u have but will every now and then ask for their own pay to be increase.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal

As long u are happy and contented. Don't compare, it will only make you feel miserable.
P.S- My sales girls (olevel) earn more than u...