• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Kuan Yew a clean civil servant ?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now please refer all your queries to Ho Peng Kee:biggrin:

Yes, yes, yes...........

Its really sad when our literacy rate is one of the highest in the world, peneration of internet high, access to travel high, etc and they are unable to figure out a basic things like why multi-party system is fundamental to progress and for society's safety.

Why do we squirrel away savings, why do get insurance policies, why do we keep umbrellas, why are there so many banks in the world. Why is Temasek investing in so many countries and in so many business. Why not put all the money in DBS?

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a differing point of view from the rest. We must really be appreciated of what LKY has done for the country. Hasn't Singapore grow from strength to strength each day?? From nothing to something. Being 1st class in the region. Corruption in singapore is rare because of a just and strict legal system. Yes, his salary is high and he is involved in a lot of investment doesn't it bring good to the country as well?

Lets put an example of Mr Thaksin, he has hell lots of money but he has also brought peace and good economy for the past few years. Look at thailand now is it really better ? I doubt so. Political unrest, riots and many more.

Well ... We are very fortunate to stay in this country and I dare say that I still believe we have a clean govt that knows what they want to do and drive singapore ahead!

Thugsin ran away from court trial for corruption charges, Thailand people exposed this thug. And Thailand is with thousand smiles now and forever however they may ding-dong here and there. You know how big is Thailand comparing to sinkapore?So you mean a country can be ruled by thugs and liars as long as there is good economy---but good economy for who ??

Clean govt must be proven and not by just mouthing. PAP Div 1 govt should face the truth---audit country's reserves, investment vehicles ,etc. Is not too late to praise PAP after checks and balances are done thoroughly by non-partisan auditors.

cheers.

insanity08

Alfrescian
Loyal
What good does it have for a country to know too much... of a truth and is it really that important to know the truth of the whole thing? To me the overal picture is to ensure that Singapore Progress, and I still believe Singapore is a clean country without coruption. Thats why the ministers are paid so well, thats why civil servent are paid well. Well be it is GIC or Temasek it has made sound investment every year, I really don't mind if the country is stable and a country with vision and my government are paid well which I guess they deserve it.

My 2 cents worth .... sorry if offended anyone.

I am just a normal Singaporean who also complain about the rising prices of ERP and stuff like that but upon looking at the overall bigger picture I also understand them why are things done this way. :smile:

IMNSA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think a lot of folks do not factor in the REALITY that we have NOTHING to fall back upon.

Taiwan can still bounce back after a corrupt government cos they have the NATURAL resources, like farming, fisheries, landscapes (tourism etc).

What do SG have? Only its country reputation, which luckily for us is extremely pleasing in the eyes of investors due to political "stability", perceived corruption-free and strong enforcement of the legal system when it matters.

I've been in Canada for many years and I've seen a great nation like Canada with its plentiful resources (gold, diamond, timber, water, you name it, they have it) being in debts by the way the opposing parties (more than 2) are trying to "bribe" their way into power.

Seriously, it ain't that bad here, with the bloody exception of the stupid ERP! :biggrin:

bigbossman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is Kuan Yew a clean civil servant ?

Are you kidding me? For a man who throw his opponents into jail without trial! For a man who manipulated the judiciary! For a man who stole millions from the tax payers! :(

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still believe Singapore is a clean country without coruption.

That goes to show that you are still living in a dream world feeding off on all the indoctrination that the state has been telling.....clean and without corruption...all I can say is you are very wrong...

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never saw LKY as a clean guy. He is by far the most ruthless and corrupt politician. He worse off than Mao Tze Tung. LKY betray the Barisan while Mao betray the Nationalist :(

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Question is: as a translator for the Japanese Military Regime during Japanese Occupation, why hasn't he step down from politics and apologize to this nation?

insanity08

Alfrescian
Loyal
That goes to show that you are still living in a dream world feeding off on all the indoctrination that the state has been telling.....clean and without corruption...all I can say is you are very wrong...

Hi, I guess im not living in a dream world, money makes the world goes round and round. Money is the root of all evil and I guess a lot of marriages are broken beacuase of money. Money has always been a constant problem to other countries and resulted in corruption trial, military cull and many more civil unrest. Our govt are transparent enough to declare their earnings to our citizen, well I guess thats not corruption. I guess we are often too one sided in our arguments, why not take a step back and you will see that there is a story behind it. If there are people in Singapore who is able to do the same why not step out?

I still believe that there must still be opositon voices in the parliments for auditing and checks to ensure that the system run in Singapore is just and unbaised.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our govt are transparent enough to declare their earnings to our citizen, well I guess thats not corruption.

just because they declare their earning does not mean there does not exist corruption...who will be so fool hardy to declare their ill gotten gains in the first place? let face it for years the old mental fart has been preaching for years of how clean his gov is and yet people like Teh and Peh still get through..his reasoning of high pay so as to starve off corruption does not hold water because many a times those who were caught were not earning peanuts and yet why do they still want more... and not forgetting corruption especially in singapore context... does not have to be in the form of monetary gains....

insanity08

Alfrescian
Loyal
just because they declare their earning does not mean there does not exist corruption...who will be so fool hardy to declare their ill gotten gains in the first place? and corruption does not have to be in the form of monetary gains....

True enough corruption comes in many form. Well in conclusion I just feel that the govt has done a fairly ok job in developing the country. At least the president of Singapore do not need to set up a company that manufacture weapons (like bush and Chenny) and start a war somewhere to generate revenue. At least they know they are already well paid, they do not need to do such stuff...

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
insanity08 said:
Our govt are transparent enough to declare their earnings to our citizen, well I guess thats not corruption.

Yes, PAP are not corrupt because they have legalized corruption.

So long they draw the obscene millions, they are corrupt :biggrin: :biggrin:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least the president of Singapore do not need to set up a company that manufacture weapons (like bush and Chenny) and start a war somewhere to generate revenue.

does Lee and Lee / HDB rings a bell? no one can take away what they have done all these years for the country but it would seems that too much power for too long will also corrupt...perhaps it is their sense of judgment..

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you need to make a distinction between morally clean and legally clean.

It is easy to determine if they are legally clean. There is the law and when they keep within the law, then they are legally clean.

It is much more difficult to talk about morally clean simply because everyone has different moral yardsticks.

boii77

Alfrescian
Loyal
I juz feel tat it shd be our citizens who decide on their pays n not they decide for themselves... i still believe in referendum for big matters like pay rise for ministers... if majority sgporeans vote yes.. i accept the outcome