• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is it ok to mix different grade of engine oil?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It can be done in minutes? U are full of shit.

i did it on an older model acura tl for under 55 mins. the liquid gasket sealer only stalled the leak for 2 weeks. after fixing it i sold the car to a university couple. where i am we learn how to fix our own cars. one of the most difficult tasks is diagnosing issues with the catalytic converter, sensors, valves and plumbing when an old car doesn't pass smog test.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The trick is never do a engine flush promised by snakeoil salesman. It will cost more harm by removing carbon n uunlocking crevices in gaskets.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cut short story.
my car engine oil is leaking slowly.
fresh from servicing is 5 liter full.
3 month later, i check the dip stick,it show half full.
bending down and check, yes there are tiny drop of black oil dripping (should be very slow)

qns:
is it ok to buy another 2 liter to top it up?
i not too sure the previous serving the workshop use which synthetic oil.
can i just buy 5w50 and pour it in to mix it? :confused::confused:

Topping up is just short term, if car got many years to drive, better sent it for repairs, as engine seizure will cost even more, with a busted gasket.
If only left a few months to scrap, either sell it or just top up oil and tahan till scrap.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
"The best thing to do is just get a bottle of liquid gasket sealer and add it to your engine oil at the next oil change. that should stop the leaks"

Sure boh?? Sounds like pouring superglue into his engine.

have you tried it? If not, than maybe you should shut up. I had a 8 year old SUV that was having engine oil leakage. It took care of it. U need to understand how it works before u shoot your mouth off.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
he is not only FULL of shit.

He don't even know what a gasket looks like, the different sort of gasket, how to make gasket without an OEM gasket, where are gasket being used and not all gasket are the same.

In fact he might not even know that a car has an engine to power it! LoL

U are right. In this thread, I think only u and I know anything about car engines.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You dunno TS is SBF resident cheapo charlie wet market ah soh?
Best if you can find him a $2 solution because that's his budget.
Cb irresponsible cheap fucks like him not only endanger himself but other road users.
Save by cheating on parking coupons instead....at least no impact to others.

It does not get any cheaper than my suggestion of pouring a bottle of liquid gasket sealant into the next oil change.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
watch out for viscosity of oil, should get correct viscosity for your engine type. Otherwise, too low, loss or power....... too high viscosity...if I remember correct, may cause engine knocking.

Also if leaking because of your gasket; If oil mix with water in water jacket, radiator water oily. And any black smoke? If black smoke, then your piston ring may be worn. If not, then leakage at oil sump, and not at engine body or piston ring.

My 2c:(

If in doubt, flush and pour new oil.:biggrin:

Knock your head lah. engine viscosity means nothing in the tropics weather like u have in singapore. Whether its 5W, 10W, even 20W can also be used in Singapore. the viscosity of the engine oil is significant if you live in cold climates. There, the cold weather (0 degrees and less)can means u must put a a thinner oil like 5W, because it gets the moving parts better lubricated in the cold. In singapore weather, 10W-30 is fine, but you can also use 5W. engine knock has nothing to do with the viscousity of engine oil. Engine knock is caused by poor quality petrol, bad spark plugs, etc. its the premature detonation of petrol in the cylinders. Most cars for the last 20 years have engine knock sensors that adjust the fuel air mix to avoid this. In modern cars, u should never get engine knocking .

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i did it on an older model acura tl for under 55 mins. the liquid gasket sealer only stalled the leak for 2 weeks. after fixing it i sold the car to a university couple. where i am we learn how to fix our own cars. one of the most difficult tasks is diagnosing issues with the catalytic converter, sensors, valves and plumbing when an old car doesn't pass smog test.

stop piling on the bullshit. U have already been exposed. U said a gasket can be changed in a matter of minutes. 55 mins is not a matter of minutes. Its closer to one hour. And the shop rate for any mechanics in your neck of the woods for a gasket replacement should be around 3 hours. So, u are either the world's greatest mechanic or u are a big bullshitter.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Topping up is just short term, if car got many years to drive, better sent it for repairs, as engine seizure will cost even more, with a busted gasket.
If only left a few months to scrap, either sell it or just top up oil and tahan till scrap.

There is a medium term fix ie add special oil which is quite vicious but dun over do as it can lead to black death ie engine pistons seized ..............

revealer

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is not crankshaft and camshaft distorted... read carefully again before commenting ok. It is crankcase and camshaft casing.. go take a hammer and distort your crankcase or camshaft casing and see if it will leak..

IMG_4209.jpg

Crankshaft and camshaft distorted can cause oil leak?

What sort of shit are you talking and there is one fourmer who even says what you post is informative!

The kind of ppl in this forum.

If you had said the mating surface of the engine cases are damaged or the O ring/gasket and seal are worn/wrong sized or too compressed at least I will say you can post some sense.

Or it could even be the Ah Beng mechanic who did not torque the engine cases with a proper torque wrench with the correct torque!

Crankshaft and camshaft distort?LoL
d

Last edited:

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walau Aye! Plug the leaking hole lah!

You want to leak the oils on the roads and make them slippery?

Dangerous to other drivers man!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
stop piling on the bullshit. U have already been exposed. U said a gasket can be changed in a matter of minutes. 55 mins is not a matter of minutes. Its closer to one hour. And the shop rate for any mechanics in your neck of the woods for a gasket replacement should be around 3 hours. So, u are either the world's greatest mechanic or u are a big bullshitter.

aha! looks like you've never removed the oil pan and done a gasket change before. that was my first time doing it, and of course it took longer. i've given you the link on the "how to" and you can't even read and understand. it's a very simple but dirty 8-step process. and guess which step takes the longest time? in fact, it can be done in less than 40 minutes if i send it into a mechanics shop. but because i had a 3-ton jack i could it myself. draining the oil is like doing an oil change. removal of the oil pan is easy on the old acura tl. may not be easy on other vehicles. once the oil pan is removed by removing all the bolts, the rest of the job is like removing shit from your sticky arse. if you are very good at it, you can finish it in 35 minutes. oil change on the old acura only took 15 minutes. the problem with sinkies is that you're too dependent on the auto shop.