• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is getting a PR from other country enough..to migrate?

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi brother, will be glad to meet up with you if I'm there. Are you able to advise me if a 2 year diploma in accounting from TAFE will give me good chances to land a book keeping job. I have no wish to go all the way to degree and then CPA. I just want to find a way to stay behind after graduation from the diploma course. It's really a dilemma for me now. I can't find a lot of information from the Internet.

You can probably get an entry level book-keeping job with a diploma from TAFE. As for good book-keeping job, you might need to study further. To survive in the accounting industry, you'll need to head towards a CPA or a CA. This is the general consensus in the industry. Of course there are a few who are do not follow this trend.

I only have a degree but no working experience in that industry, I can only advise what I know. A more experienced person like Bro Neddy would be able to help you out.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You can probably get an entry level book-keeping job with a diploma from TAFE. As for good book-keeping job, you might need to study further. To survive in the accounting industry, you'll need to head towards a CPA or a CA. This is the general consensus in the industry. Of course there are a few who are do not follow this trend.

I only have a degree but no working experience in that industry, I can only advise what I know. A more experienced person like Bro Neddy would be able to help you out.

Thank you brother. I guess if I were to take the accounting route, I will study at TAFE Kangan. The fee is quite affordable. Upon graduation, the diploma gives me 2 year exemption at Charles Sturt university. Although its a lousy university, but the 2 years exemption saves me quite abit of money.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi brother, will be glad to meet up with you if I'm there.

NEVER mix real life and cyberspace. You could face potential ruin. Many people had to learn the hard way. Don't make the same mistake.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thank you brother. I guess if I were to take the accounting route, I will study at TAFE Kangan. The fee is quite affordable. Upon graduation, the diploma gives me 2 year exemption at Charles Sturt university. Although its a lousy university, but the 2 years exemption saves me quite abit of money.

Very true. I did my 'A's in sg and didn't get any exemptions when I did my degree here.. diploma holders from polys in singapore got exemptions.

Doesn't matter if the uni is lousy or not. As long as you fulfill the min. requirements to start towards your CPA/CA, they will let you study.

Also, they don't really see which uni you are from over here, unlike Singapore which focuses more on "branding".
What is important is your working ability, people skills etc.. Qualifications usually takes a backseat after getting the job.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
NEVER mix real life and cyberspace. You could face potential ruin. Many people had to learn the hard way. Don't make the same mistake.

I would definately agree with you Boss!

But I'm harmless. I don't borrow money nor lend money (parents drilled that into me since young). I'm an opposition supporter who lives overseas. I don't do crime nor drugs. Only sins I have is my FM2013 and of course the ladiesssss..

P.S. Bro Raiders, PM me first.. I might not even have the time to meet up.. 2 youngs kids, no maids, no family members.. have to help out a lot at home Sigh.. no time for ladiessss too..

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I would definately agree with you Boss!

But I'm harmless. I don't borrow money nor lend money (parents drilled that into me since young). I'm an opposition supporter who lives overseas. I don't do crime nor drugs. Only sins I have is my FM2013 and of course the ladiesssss..

It is not about your honesty or your criminal record of lack of one.

It is about 2 people who initially meet in cyberspace becoming acquainted in the real world and ending up not liking each other so one or both returns to cyberspace to seek revenge.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is not about your honesty or your criminal record of lack of one.

It is about 2 people who initially meet in cyberspace becoming acquainted in the real world and ending up not liking each other so one or both returns to cyberspace to seek revenge.

ok thanks for putting that into perspective

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just to give you some ideas of how impatient some young aussies are. They do not believe in full-time uni - they do not have the luxury of able to enjoy campus life fully and have someone give them a helping hand into a cushy job or family business.

Often, they have to skip class to work and hope that work will get them a headstart over other graduates. (Also, people like Michael Dell, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates do more than just study at uni) Having a degree is nothing these days - you have to let people know that you are good other than scoring top marks. At least get some work experience.

The other day, a lecturer was advising a student to take up a full-time course and balance her work requirements by skipping lessons. She will meet the minimum attendance to take the exams.

IMAGINE: Teacher telling student to skip classes. I am not surprised.

I think your aim should be a Chartered Accountant utimately. Just see if your uni course give you further exemptions/recognition to professional qualifications. Who cares which uni you graduate from if you are a CA.

I know of private employers who will increase your pay with every passing CA exams.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I know of private employers who will increase your pay with every passing CA exams.

Hi brother, any advice if I were to choose the advanced diploma in Pasttiere? This is my real interest and my long term plan is to open a bakery or pastery cafe. In order to be eligible for the Temp Grad Visa that allows me to stay and work for another 2 years, I have to top it up with another 1.5-2 years of university study.

The reason why I asked about diploma in accounting is because I know that going the accounting way gives me a better chance to stay permenrntly. But this is really not my cup of tea and even if I were to grind my teeth, I can only finish until degree level. CPA? Hell no. I already 33 and by the time I get my CPA, I would be already 38-40. With no prior experience in accounting, I believe this is a disadvantage. If I were to go the accounting route, I'll probably stop at degree, find a job and try to stay there permanently. Once I'm able to get the PR, I have my own ability to make money. In short, going this accounting route is not for my long term career and not for making money. It is to give me a better chance to get the PR.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi brother, any advice if I were to choose the advanced diploma in Pasttiere? This is my real interest and my long term plan is to open a bakery or pastery cafe. In order to be eligible for the Temp Grad Visa that allows me to stay and work for another 2 years, I have to top it up with another 1.5-2 years of university study.

The reason why I asked about diploma in accounting is because I know that going the accounting way gives me a better chance to stay permenrntly. But this is really not my cup of tea and even if I were to grind my teeth, I can only finish until degree level. CPA? Hell no. I already 33 and by the time I get my CPA, I would be already 38-40. With no prior experience in accounting, I believe this is a disadvantage. If I were to go the accounting route, I'll probably stop at degree, find a job and try to stay there permanently. Once I'm able to get the PR, I have my own ability to make money. In short, going this accounting route is not for my long term career and not for making money. It is to give me a better chance to get the PR.

I am no good at giving advice. But since you are moving to Australia, it helps to do something that you are interested in. Otherwise, after the honeymoon period in a new country, you will be sick of doing something you do not like in a "strange unfamiliar" country.

Many migrants to Australia, esp whose who are forced out of their homeland, find comfort in doing things they like. It makes them want to get out of the bed to make a difference in their daily life.

So, if it requires a short-cut via the Accounting route, why not. Remember to spend some time as student working at a bakery or patisserie for local experience. Your accounting will also come into good use.

We only live once, make it memorable without regret.

You will find Aussies have sweet tooth.

http://www.bistrodesartistes.com.au/behind-the-scene.html
http://www.perthnow.com.au/french-phenomenon/story-fn6o0xxk-1226340699940

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I am no good at giving advice. But since you are moving to Australia, it helps to do something that you are interested in. Otherwise, after the honeymoon period in a new country, you will be sick of doing something you do not like in a "strange unfamiliar" country.

So, if it requires a short-cut via the Accounting route, why not. Remember to spend some time as student working at a bakery or patisserie for local experience. Your accounting will also come into good use.

We only live once, make it memorable without regret.

You will find Aussies have sweet tooth.

Than you for your input brother. It does help me. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

If you do the AD in Hospitality (patisserie) Under Corden Bleu which is only available in Sydney and Adelaide TAFE, you would have no issues with getting a job in the field with very good employers. The school will place you as they have a waiting list of ready employers for the 6 month attachment and final employment. That diploma is gold. However the fees are double that of any other TAFE. The AD from the other TAFE, not so sure.

If you want to run your own show eventually do something like breadtalk and sell buns, pasties, pies etc. Get a small outlet near a major station, terminus, or city location with pedestrian traffic and you will be good to go. Patisseries are hard sell as people prefer to buy at hotels and well known outlets and its a handwork as presentation is key. Also hard and expensive to get proper help for patisserie work while so much easier to get hired help for general baking.

Book-keeping is quite big in the 1st world countries. You can also buy into a book-keeping franchise. Accounting after getting a degree is a hard grind in for the first few years. The big firms tend to take young graduates as they tend to work you like a slave.

My sense is that you are better off doing your own business based on your postings in the past. You are the type that cannot sit behind the desk unless you can make deals real quick. Might as well do something that fits your personality.

Here is an example that was mentioned in the old SBf.

SAF chap finished contract after 12 years. Went to Perth on a Student visa and signed for MBA. While doing his MBA, he scouted around and bought a photo shop in the city. Business was good. His wife helped him run the shop.

Hi Neddy, I'm finalising my plans for Australia after reviewing all the different options(work,migrant,study) and I would like your opinion. I am choosing the study option using the TAFE/VET route. The two courses that I am looking at are

1. Advanced Diploma in Hospitality majoring in Patissiery(includes a cert IV and diploma). The course is 2 years.
This is my area of interest as I have plans to set up a small bakery/pastry shop in future. I view this as a skill also. The only setback is that after graduation, this diploma does not qualifies me for the Temporary Graduate Visa (485). (485)Graduate Work Stream not qualify as Pastry Cook is not on the SOL 1 list. (485)Post-Study Work Stream not qualify as only bachelor degree onwards are considered.
If I am lucky to find work immediately upon graduation, then I can apply for another work visa class. However, if I can't, this 485 visa will be very useful for me to stay for another 18 Months in Australia. The only way to solve this is to continue my study in University for another 1.5 years which I am reluctant. It is funny that pastry cook is in national shortage but the trade never made it to the SOL 1 list.

2. Advanced Diploma in Accounting. This is not my interest but if you ask me to grind my teeth and finish it, I can. The only reason why I consider this diploma is that, it gives me a good chance to get the 485 visa under the Graduate Work Stream.

My choice of city is Melbourne as I prefer the cooler climate.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I do agree that Cordon Bleu is good. The school fees is a killer but like what you said, good reputation, good chance of employment.

As for accounting wise, I have no plans to go into this line. By studying for the AD and the final year degree, I'm only using it to make PR application easier. Eventually when I get my PR, I will do my own small business.

There is very very little information for visas relating to owners of small shops and businesses. I believed that SAF guy did not get a visa based on his photo shop but through his studies and eventually PR?

You are also right about getting a small stall near to the stations. I did observe that when I was in Sydney. Those shops near to train stations makes good businesses during the morning and evening rushes.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do agree that Cordon Bleu is good. The school fees is a killer but like what you said, good reputation, good chance of employment.

As for accounting wise, I have no plans to go into this line. By studying for the AD and the final year degree, I'm only using it to make PR application easier. Eventually when I get my PR, I will do my own small business.

There is very very little information for visas relating to owners of small shops and businesses. I believed that SAF guy did not get a visa based on his photo shop but through his studies and eventually PR?

You are also right about getting a small stall near to the stations. I did observe that when I was in Sydney. Those shops near to train stations makes good businesses during the morning and evening rushes.

Business visas used to be the visa of last resort for migrants, it may still be the case today. I have not kept up to date on this. There is also the additional stress of proving that your small business can achieve a certain profit / labour hire targets before they grant you a PR visa.

Scroobal, Fishbuff, and of course Mr Leong himself should be able to advise / give advice to keep this forum alive for Singaporeans.

http://toolkit.smallbiz.nsw.gov.au/

I wonder what happened to that Cordon Bleu graduate who ended up with 1Cover as a call centre operator (part time job while planning her big move as a business owner?). Some young people are just too impatient and not realistic enough to achieve their objectives in life, that actually give new migrants opportunities. What new migrants fail is in transferring their knowledge from their home country wholesale and expecting it to work in Australia.

I love this Mr Cake story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-quits-job-Stansted-Airport-icing-cake.html

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
A little update...

Need some advice on Perth. I might choose Perth to study instead of of Melbourne. Wifey might end up with a new job which gives her a much better salary and new things to learn. She had been looking forward to this new job. Still waiting for HR to reply.

Therefore I might end up going alone. Perth will be closer to home and it'll be easier for both of us to visit each other on a 3 months basis, and alittle cheaper as well.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, SAF guy did it thru study visa, with the similar intention as what you posted in your first post on this. I mentioned this in my post as well. His intention was to run his own business. I would suggest that you seek advice from a migration agent who deals with business migration. The options that you shortlisted are temp and not the perm visa even if you get a degree. There is a consultancy fee and it is worth dealing with the experts.

Typically the route in the past for those who who do not qualify under skilled perm migrant visa class is to obtain study visa followed by business provisonal and then business residential (perm). SAF guys with Poly diploma who sign on 6/12 years contract tend to take this route when they finish their contract. The Grad officer will take the MBA study visa route.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats seems good. Flights cheaper and many flights as well. Just don't give up and go all out to get in.

A little update...

Need some advice on Perth. I might choose Perth to study instead of of Melbourne. Wifey might end up with a new job which gives her a much better salary and new things to learn. She had been looking forward to this new job. Still waiting for HR to reply.

Therefore I might end up going alone. Perth will be closer to home and it'll be easier for both of us to visit each other on a 3 months basis, and alittle cheaper as well.