• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is competition essential for effective education? Discuss.

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
“Intelligence plus character- that is the true goal of education.” This quote by Martin Luther King Jr succinctly summarizes the purpose of receiving an education. In order to push students’ boundaries and to inculcate in them values like determination and diligence, some believe that an element of competition and ranking is necessary. However, in my opinion, if competition is in excess, the education system will be rendered counter-productive due to the negative effects of encouraging hyper-competitiveness in students. Therefore, while competition is an important factor in molding people of character that will contribute to society, safeguards need to be in place to ensure that the extent of competition in the education system does not become excessive or obsessive.

Why is competition important? One of the key reasons is that it offers a very clear goal and motivation for students to do better at their studies. Take the Chinese education system for example. Though certain people would term it as ‘extreme’, it is undeniable that China has managed to produce many bright talents especially in the area of science and mathematics due to the competition in schools. With such a large student population and a relatively tiny number of spaces in the most prestigious local universities like Beijing University, competition is a motivator for students as it pushes them to secure a bright future on their own. This is loosely based on the Darwinian idea that only the fittest survive, which encourages students to strive to be classified as the ‘fittest’ and reap the rewards of being so. Therefore, it is believed that competition is necessary to bring out the best in people, and also to stretch their potential.

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2022/03/a-level-essay-is-competition-essential.html

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't quote Westerners names and theories to base on Chinese race.

One eat potatoes the other eat rice. Different race difference sets of education system.

Quote Chinese historian names and Chinese theories on Chinese.

2/3 of the world Use Chinese style grammar.... white trash BE grammar sucks... made low IQ...

JeffThorsen777

Alfrescian
Loyal
Education are very important these days. I want to take extra classes, but for now I am trying to cope up with the assignments at the university. Friends recommended me to buy college essays and other works. I am still working in parallel. But thanks to the experts, I have reduced my workload and am doing well in other subjects and courses.

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If not for the PSLE, would little sinkies study hard? Or would their parents push them to study hard so that they can be a PAP scholar in future?