• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

International Olympic Committee says Singapore spent too much on YOG

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.southasiamail.com/news.php?id=78158

Youth Olympics should limit cost to hosts, says IOC
Back To Main Sports

Singapore, Aug 20 (DPA) The vice president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Friday warned against making excessive financial demands on hosts of the Youth Olympic Games, after costs for the inaugural event in Singapore went more than three times over budget.

The financial requirements of the games should not limit future host candidates "to the same relatively small, exclusive circle of (developed) countries capable of holding Olympic Games," Thomas Bach said in Singapore.

"A country which is able to organize Olympic Games should therefore not be considered as a host for Youth Olympic Games," he said.

Costs for the Singapore Youth Olympics skyrocketed in the run-up to the Games, prompting local critics to call the event "a waste of money".

Originally estimated at 104 million Singapore dollars ($76 million), the budget was now expected to reach 387 million Singapore dollars, the government said.

However, it maintained that the Youth Olympics would leave a legacy of newly constructed or refurbished sport facilities, benefiting all Singaporeans.

Bach said the IOC had no objections if a host nation used the Youth Olympics as an occasion to improve its sports infrastructure and institutions with its own money.

But the IOC had to stick to its policy that it did not demand new facilities like stadiums and an athletes' village for the Youth Games, he said.

"This cannot be a decision criterion," Bach said.

The German vice president of the IOC said he was thrilled by the Singapore Games, which kicked off on Saturday and are set to run until August 26.

The concept of the Youth Olympics, combining competitions in 26 sports with an educational programme for the 3,600 participating athletes aged 14 to 18, had "worked out magnificently," Bach said.

New formats, including 3-on-3 basketball and a triathlon mixed team relay, had been popular with both athletes and spectators, he said.

If this success was picked up by international sports unions, Bach said, there might also be changes in the Olympic programme.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
"However, it maintained that the Youth Olympics would leave a legacy of newly constructed or refurbished sport facilities, benefiting all Singaporeans."

1. i wonder if the sports school facilities is open to public?
  2. i wonder if NTU hostel aka YOG athletes village will be converted to public chalet?
  3. i wonder if all the stadiums r open to all residents to play football on sundays w/o having to book thru SSC or FAS?
  4. i wonder if all the mentioned facilities r free entrance or will they bill sinkies entrance fees?

i really wonder what benefits do we enjoy out of it, when most of us r working our necks off, sometimes deprived of proper rest & sleep. not to mention even take time to visit & use those facilities.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However, it maintained that the Youth Olympics would leave a legacy of newly constructed or refurbished sport facilities, benefiting all Singaporeans.

Where? Where's the new infrastructure?

Money spent on the torch relay, an extravagant opening ceremony, rock concert attended by 300 volunteers... I find it hard to think of any expensive YOG item that can be reused.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bishan stadium is one of the venues & that place has been there for years & years.

Maybe it's got a new coat of paint painted by our multi-million PAP ministers :confused:

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, were there any genuine infrastructure built or upgraded to facilitate the YOG? as far as i can see; all stadiums looked they same as they were before we were awarded as host cuntry for YOG, indoor sports at suntec r temporary fixtures that will be cleared when the games r over, hardly any upgrading for the swimming pools apart from the starting blocks, diving platform at toa payoh looks the same as they were when we hosted sea games long ago. YOG athletes village will convert back into NTU student hostels, n is not accessible to public.

unless they're suggesting that the YOG buses will become permanent free shuttle service for public, the YOG lanes become the new overtaking lanes, they gonna permanently provide free "dog food" to the needy etc

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
viviane-castro-brazil-carnival-queen---photo-via-huffington-post.jpg