• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Interesting People You Met During National Service

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one went to Delta Company because Delta Company was for those Chinese educated, 3 SMC.
I cannot recall Juliet, but one schoolmate who went to 1 SMC, was a 2LT and an instructor at Juliet.
He came to Kilo Company to visit me. Good friend, and did not pull rank.

I believe we are not talking about the same batch of Kilo Company. The 1st NS SAFTI intake was in December 26th 1967.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my time in SAFTI, there were no recruits doing their 3 months BMT
only after they passed out from BMT then posted to SAFTI for section leader, OCS,
SMM, PTI, SMI, Snipper, School of military small arms, School of military special weapons
also OCS for woman and many other training schools.
I was working in the HQ coy. The officers also had to take their IPPT test.
I had to carry a type-writer to the field to record all their results, no cheat,
Mindef officers were there to supervise.
If a soldier was court marshall, i had to be in the court to update his document
and sent him to TDB straight away.
I believe now the clerk just need to carry a lap top.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my time in SAFTI, there were no recruits doing their 3 months BMT
only after they passed out from BMT then posted to SAFTI for section leader, OCS,
SMM, PTI, SMI, Snipper, School of military small arms, School of military special weapons
also OCS for woman and many other training schools.
I was working in the HQ coy. The officers also had to take their IPPT test.
I had to carry a type-writer to the field to record all their results, no cheat,
Mindef officers were there to supervise.
If a soldier was court marshall, i had to be in the court to update his document
and sent him to TDB straight away.
I believe now the clerk just need to carry a lap top.

Nope, IPAD will do. :biggrin:

Lee5604

Alfrescian
Loyal
I completed SISL, and was a CPL at 8 SIR, then went to Bravo Company, 4 SMC senior term.

Then you must know these few Coy mates in your Coy: Amolat Singh (now a lawyer) and former Assoc Prof (deseased) Ananda Raja in NUS (Sociology Dept) , (the brother of a PAP MP).

I was in A Coy. A small test for you: Who was the sword of honour in the 4SMC?

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then you must know these few Coy mates in your Coy: Amolat Singh (now a lawyer) and former Assoc Prof (deseased) Ananda Raja in NUS (Sociology Dept) , (the brother of a PAP MP).

I was in A Coy. A small test for you: Who was the sword of honour in the 4SMC?

Ko Chee Wah, a Rafflesian from the Class of 1971, rugby player, who attended and graduated from university, before serving NS.

Is that A. Singh a SGT leading the 84 mm RG team, and is A. Raja a CPL there?

Let me test you: What is the name and nickname of the infamous CSM of Charlie Company? (to be fair, he, a SGT at that was more than fair to me, as well as treated like his comrade, often inviting me to the Sergeants Mess for beer. he and I kept in touch after I ROD (as it was used at that time). Several years ago, when I went to SG for a visit, I phoned him when he was a MWO as an instructor at SAFTI

Last edited:

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
one of my incik was posted to safti mi, 2nd warrant officer, kanna tekaned by his occifer, asked to go repair the toilet bowl.

army is a place for egoistic occifers to flex their power, i myslef also experience and seen power abuse by occifers, up to the rank of LTC, sibeh buay kan! i will surely humtum him if i see him...

Lee5604

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ko Chee Wah, a Rafflesian from the Class of 1971, rugby player, who attended and graduated from university, before serving NS.

Let me test you: What is the name and nickname of the infamous CSM of Charlie Company? (to be fair, he, a SGT at that was more than fair to me, as well as treated like his comrade, often inviting me to the Sergeants Mess for beer. he and I kept in touch after I ROD (as it was used at that time). Several years ago, when I went to SG for a visit, I phoned him when he was a MWO as an instructor at SAFTI

Correct, You spelt his surname correctly too (Ko), I am sorry I am not able to recall the name of the infamous CSM of Charlie Coy. I was in A Coy, did both the junior and senior terms, meaning went through the whole 9 months of the SMC. There was a Commando Officer who was an instructor at C Coy, but can't remember his name.

My OC's name was Neo Lam Tong. My batch of Platoon mates, many were returned scholars, for eg Chan Seng Onn who is now a High Court Judge, (But he did not complete his SMC, later he was medically exempted from NS).

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually i'm curious why must you guys test each other? Are the both of you actually suspicious that each of you are actually NOT from that unit?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Correct, You spelt his surname correctly too (Ko), I am sorry I am not able to recall the name of the infamous CSM of Charlie Coy. I was in A Coy, did both the junior and senior terms, meaning went through the whole 9 months of the SMC. There was a Commando Officer who was an instructor at C Coy, but can't remember his name.

My OC's name was Neo Lam Tong. My batch of Platoon mates, many were returned scholars, for eg Chan Seng Onn who is now a High Court Judge, (But he did not complete his SMC, later he was medically exempted from NS).

I recall that commando officer in C Coy, but not my buddy, then LTA Neo Keng Kok (a champion skydiver, later CPT and OC Parachute School).

Do you know of a Chay W.C. in A Coy?

Did you go to 8 SIR after 4 SMC? That is why I did not know you at 8 SIR, because I was a CPL there before going to senior term 4 SMC, and thereafter went to 2 SIB.

Lee5604

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, i know Chay W C in A Coy. In fac,t he was in my platoon. Yes, I know Neo Keng Kok, later became CPT and also became OC of Parachute School.

Do you know Alan Lee Sian Ghee, frm A Coy? No, I was not from 8 SIR and did not go there after SMC, I was from 4 SIR.

Ananda Raja was in B Coy, he later became an Assof Prof of Sociology at NUS. I met him in NUS and was surprised that he was from 4 SMC too, but I never met him personally at OCS. Only years later, I studied under him. He passed away when he was 54 years old in his office at NUS. He was such a humble an intelligent person.

Ko Chee Wah was in the same platoon as me. The day I saw him I knew that he would be the sword of honour. Showed strong leadership, and he dared to be outstanding.