• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Integrity, Politicians and Political Expediency

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My education in to political "integrity" and political assasination under the guise of upholding morality and integrity started with Newt Gingrich and Bill Clinton. The PAP with its relentless character assassinations thought me another. Pope GMS and his fire and brimstone speeches on integrity brought it to another level.

I have always had a deep suspicion about one politician pointing out the moral failings of another. Newt Ginrich his attempted impeachment of a highly effective two term Clinton, and the subsequent failings of Ginrich himself much worse than Clinton stands out in this regards of the depths of politicians and hypocrisy in preaching Integrity. Mind you, a politician claiming to have integrity is without doubt part and parcel of the game, A politician claiming integrity and pointing out the lack of integrity in others is another. An opposition politician who claims a lack of moral integrity over an affair but out of political expediency keeps a senior opposition with nude pictures and a police report within his party is something for readers to judge.

Political expediency is something all politicians indulge in, that is the act of doing something which is correct short term politically but sacrificing long term interests. Self recognition of political expediency is one thing, dressing up self political interests and political expediency under a moral crusade for integrity another.

I have wondered about this moralistic crusade, and much like his crusade to portray TKL as a truly independent presidential candidate, I am of the view that GMS will soon be supporting another group of opposition candidates he feels has "integrity" and who will bring back "integrity " to opposition politics and will soon be beating the drum for that group to contest in HG. I might be wrong but u heard it from me first.

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) A politician pointing out that he himself has integrity
2) The same politician pointing out that others do not have it
3) The politician himself in reality does not have it

Triple whammy!

(Or triple standards?)

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP with its relentless character assassinations thought me another. Pope GMS and his fire and brimstone speeches on integrity brought it to another level.

For years, Dr Chee SJ was under the constant attack and character assassinations by PAP relentlessly. What did the WP crowd here do? They not only did nothing, they join in the attack and adding fuel to the fire. What has Dr Chee did to the citizen of Singapore to deserve it?? Of course it's a politcal milege that WP are trying to gain from the adversity.

Now when GMS attack the failings of WP members in parliament, the whole WP battalion came out to defend it, including it's supporters.

If you are not a member of WP and falls into this category, I like to ask, why the double standard in integrity and morality?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goodness, people are talking about the FVI and what does its clone do (or pretend to do).

The fat insect itself was part of the "WP that was doing nothing for SDP". It didn't come in recently or only join this forum recently, goodness.

The chap thinks by changing another nick, the past can be erased - yet it itself wants to refer to the past.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Sad

Most of us did not buy the PAPs characterizations, we just disagreed strongly about the direction for Political Opposition in Singapore. Supporters including me have grown up as the parties have changed, The SDP has realized the need for ground work but it has tried to continue is activists roots. The WP has tried to learn fr the SDP about professionalism in media and website management but has had hits and misses. I believe honestly there is more common ground between the two than before and yes this is from a previously staunch SDP critic who now hopes and wishes the SDP well along it's parliamentary path and less activists roots

Locke

For years, Dr Chee SJ was under the constant attack and character assassinations by PAP relentlessly. What did the WP crowd here do? They not only did nothing, they join in the attack and adding fuel to the fire. What has Dr Chee did to the citizen of Singapore to deserve it?? Of course it's a politcal milege that WP are trying to gain from the adversity.

Now when GMS attack the failings of WP members in parliament, the whole WP battalion came out to defend it, including it's supporters.

If you are not a member of WP and falls into this category, I like to ask, why the double standard in integrity and morality?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Do other opposition like SDP, SDA, SPP and NSP come out to defend WP or add fuel to fire? No. They've been staying neutral. It's a WP matter at constituency level and PAP matter at government level. Fair enough, isn't it? Only my dear Cpt. GMS is jumping up and down. Nobody from WP added fuel to fire when SDP was in trouble, only LTB jumping up and down over personal feuds. Most of use are even good friends, just for political matters, we have to draw party lines.

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
The WP has tried to learn fr the SDP about professionalism in media and website management but has had hits and misses. I believe honestly there is more common ground between the two than before and yes this is from a previously staunch SDP critic who now hopes and wishes the SDP well along it's parliamentary path and less activists roots

Fine, I will watch the space. It's quite easy to dug up threads to prove what I have said.

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody from WP added fuel to fire when SDP was in trouble, only LTB jumping up and down over personal feuds. Most of use are even good friends, just for political matters, we have to draw party lines.

Lying through your teeth, always.

Your clone Forvendt has been particularly vicious from the word go.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lying through your teeth, always.

Your clone Forvendt has been particularly vicious from the word go.

For those who still believe Forvendet is my clone, keep on believing to your liking. This is just a forum. Out of this, I have a real life and real friends who know that I don't clone.

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who still believe Forvendet is my clone, keep on believing to your liking. This is just a forum. Out of this, I have a real life and real friends who know that I don't clone.

You even corrected my mis-spell of your clone. LOL

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You even corrected my mis-spell of your clone. LOL

He's been here like two years, mostly fucking GMS and me during GE and PE. Strange nick Forvendet but most of us know how to spell it correctly by now, except you. How he became my clone, I'm clueless and couldn't be bothered. Even some nick like Irene could become my clone. If I'm bothered, I'd be very busy.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Locke,

I am no Pope, definitely cannot be Pope with such LOW expectation on basic integrity on politicians here in Singapore. In fact, WP's own criteria is much higher with 3Cs and 2Ps .... Credibility, Character, Capability, Passion and Public Service. That's way beyond basic integrity. But just too bad, they failed on basic integrity, not to mention Credibility, Character and Capability.

Goh Meng Seng

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
Locke,

I am no Pope, definitely cannot be Pope with such LOW expectation on basic integrity on politicians here in Singapore. In fact, WP's own criteria is much higher with 3Cs and 2Ps .... Credibility, Character, Capability, Passion and Public Service. That's way beyond basic integrity. But just too bad, they failed on basic integrity, not to mention Credibility, Character and Capability.

Goh Meng Seng

You should start addressing issues, not pick up terms (such as Pope), jump on them, side-tracked and then talked about WP (again!!!)

If you missed Locke's point, I suggest you re-read his post and don't be too hasty to respond (please do not talk about WP over and over and over. It's frustrating!).

If you deliberately avoided the points he raised (I'm assuming you know what his points are), then you're really rude, and disappointing.

Please address the issues head-on. Don't run away from them (I'm not insinuating that your moving from one party to another, and then quit, is a form of running away). If you raise an issue to me, I assure you I'll take it head-on like a man. I expect you, a veteran politician who advocates honesty and integrity, to do the barest minimum. Engage the issues.

deepbluesea

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's been here like two years, mostly fucking GMS and me during GE and PE. Strange nick Forvendet but most of us know how to spell it correctly by now, except you. How he became my clone, I'm clueless and couldn't be bothered. Even some nick like Irene could become my clone. If I'm bothered, I'd be very busy.

this is cute

so when did u ever have a clone?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All your observations are nothing new. All have been practiced since politicians were invented.

I'm not surprised that hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty have been taken to a whole new level by certain opposition actors. In the past the PAP dominated everything, both the good and dark side. They painted the opposition anyway they wanted. A castrated opposition could only come up with the likes of Harbans Singh, Ling how doong, and Gopalan nair (credit: Scroobal).

Recent social & techonological advances have forced the PAP to make the playing field more open (not necessarily more level), and this has helped create new personalities who bring both the good and dark arts of politicking to a whole new level. GMS, Kenneth Jeya, etc, are the children of this new era.

Expect more of them. GMS is just the symptom of a repressed generation. NOTE: I am NOT defending him.

My education in to political "integrity" and political assasination under the guise of upholding morality and integrity started with Newt Gingrich and Bill Clinton. The PAP with its relentless character assassinations thought me another. Pope GMS and his fire and brimstone speeches on integrity brought it to another level.

I have always had a deep suspicion about one politician pointing out the moral failings of another. Newt Ginrich his attempted impeachment of a highly effective two term Clinton, and the subsequent failings of Ginrich himself much worse than Clinton stands out in this regards of the depths of politicians and hypocrisy in preaching Integrity. Mind you, a politician claiming to have integrity is without doubt part and parcel of the game, A politician claiming integrity and pointing out the lack of integrity in others is another. An opposition politician who claims a lack of moral integrity over an affair but out of political expediency keeps a senior opposition with nude pictures and a police report within his party is something for readers to judge.

Political expediency is something all politicians indulge in, that is the act of doing something which is correct short term politically but sacrificing long term interests. Self recognition of political expediency is one thing, dressing up self political interests and political expediency under a moral crusade for integrity another.

I have wondered about this moralistic crusade, and much like his crusade to portray TKL as a truly independent presidential candidate, I am of the view that GMS will soon be supporting another group of opposition candidates he feels has "integrity" and who will bring back "integrity " to opposition politics and will soon be beating the drum for that group to contest in HG. I might be wrong but u heard it from me first.

Locke