• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Inability to differentiate between a PR and a Citizen

Churuya

Alfrescian
Loyal
While the world may have been a different place during the era you describe, the reason of emigration has always been the same and that is to realise the dream of building a better future.

I see no difference between the Ah Tiongs who are arriving today and those that arrived a century ago. They want to improve their lot just as your forefathers did many years ago.

Where did you get your stats for emigration rates? Please advise.

Yes, all yearn build a better future, but most importantly, where? In Singapore or back in China? If I was a PRC migrant who wished to return to China after I made my big bucks, would I care if Singapore ended up a radioactive wasteland? To those living in Singapore, should we care? To those people (whether singaporeans or not) who want to migrate to australia, canada or the u.s. do they care?

As for the stats, I pulled it out of thin air. :smile: Was I as bad as Singstat?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You would have been on firmer ground if you stated that we are getting 3rd and 4th rate PRC emigrants. The 1st and 2nd rate are going to the 1st world countries. The ones that are here are much worse quality than your forefather who came here. The same with the Indians.

A good example is the table tennis team that was recently trashed by India. The scandinavians took the better players.

Yes, all yearn build a better future, but most importantly, where? In Singapore or back in China? If I was a PRC migrant who wished to return to China after I made my big bucks, would I care if Singapore ended up a radioactive wasteland? To those living in Singapore, should we care? To those people (whether singaporeans or not) who want to migrate to australia, canada or the u.s. do they care?

As for the stats, I pulled it out of thin air. :smile: Was I as bad as Singstat?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

You'd be surprised to know that many of those who arrived a century or so ago had every intention of returning to China after they had made their pile. Some made the trip back. Others stayed on to make Singapore home.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'd be surprised to know that many of those who arrived a century or so ago had every intention of returning to China after they had made their pile. Some made the trip back. Others stayed on to make Singapore home.

I don't see why there is any argument on this point. Yes, most of our forefathers probably did not intend to become Singaporeans. But the issue is that we are now a nation (supposedly) and look upon this place as a permanent home. Having too much immigrants who do not wish to sink their roots here creates too much tension.

Please do not bring up the point that the Malays felt the same in the 1800s. People are bitching because they do not want to end up like them (which is valid) although I am not sure if it isn't already too late.