• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Imposing racial view on others crosses the line: Shanmugam

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imposing racial view on others crosses the line: Shanmugam

People may have racial preferences, and that in itself is not racism, said Home Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam yesterday.

But if they bring it out into the public sphere and impose it on others, then it crosses the line, he added.

"You should call it out, you should frown against it, and you should take action if it breaches the law. Because it is cancerous, it is divisive, and it undermines the values of our society," he said.

He was speaking on the Singapore Today programme on radio station CNA938, following a recent spate of racial incidents.

Last Saturday, polytechnic lecturer Tan Boon Lee, 60, lashed out at an interracial couple in Orchard Road and said Indian men should not be "preying on Chinese girls".

Business owner Dave Parkash, 26, and his girlfriend, Ms Jacqueline Ho, 27, the target of the comments, filmed the encounter and later posted the video on Facebook.

The open display of racist behaviour, among several other recent incidents, has sparked criticism and debate.

Asked by the radio presenters if racial harmony is under threat in Singapore, Mr Shanmugam said he did not think so.

"Name me a society where there is no racism (and) which is multiracial," he said, adding Singapore has made tremendous progress in building racial harmony.

He noted that Singapore's leaders have always recognised the existence of racism here - whether in the form of deep racial fault lines, outright racism, and even overt racial preferences - and stressed that the key is in mitigating it.

"Many of the Government's policies proceed by accepting that there is both racial preference, as well as racism, and how do we mitigate that to make sure that meritocracy works, and that people of all races have fair opportunities," he added.

Asked what role the Government plays in safeguarding religious harmony, Mr Shanmugam said: "It's not a subtraction from Singaporeans to say, 'I'm an Indian', 'I'm a Chinese', 'I'm a Malay', or sub-identities. Those are extremely important. They give us our cultural ballast. We are what we are."

HYPOCRITICAL​

The minister noted that some people have criticised the Government for investigating those who respond to racist behaviour with racist remarks of their own.

He said: "These sentiments are somewhat hypocritical... You don't respond to what you say is racism by your own racist remarks, by being racist yourself. So we call that out."

Mr Shanmugam added that while the recent incidents should not be over-dramatised as signalling a breakdown in racial harmony, they have led him to question if the country is still heading in the right "positive" direction.

"Are we sure that we are progressing in the right direction?" he said. "So it's a direction that I am concerned about."

Asked whether social media has made things worse, he said such incidents have happened but not had as much publicity in the past.

"We must also accept that things are different now. People, and racial sensitivities, are also heightened, and there have been more in-your-face incidents," he added.

"I am not quite able to say that's only because of social media."

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
HAHAHA...so ironic and hypocritical indeed.

Imposing on us a Melyau President is not considered racism ?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck this ahneh lawyer.

If he and his ministers have balls they shd remove this incompetent nepotism Loong long ago.

Knowing India ahnehs cheated to steal jobs from local talents is more serious than racism he shd stand up to change course of destruction remove Loong.

This is brewing up and getting to boiling point. Address this imbalance of jobs racism given to cheat Indians and call them FTs is unacceptable.

He and other Indian ministers shd stand for single member consitution to prove he is capable of elected by own merit based on race as one of the features...

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PAP government's view is that a President from a minority race is required.
Not all citizens agree.
Yet the PAP government imposed its view by legislating the above.
Hypocrite.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another career politician virtue signalling for cheap points. Get the fuck out with that sanctimonious attitude.

If I remember correctly, Black Mamba is no saint himself. :wink:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP government's view is that a President from a minority race is required.
Not all citizens agree.
Yet the PAP government imposed its view by legislating the above.
Hypocrite.
That president represents two minority communities. It should be this way permanently. President selected only by minorities.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hypocrisy when they won't even call out LKY even when he is dead and burnt to ashes.
Or HSK for his 'Sg not ready for non chinese PM'.
PAP the racist party.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just keep their racist views to themselves la. Just like your sex life with your wife, do u go around telling people that? Cheebye some racists are fucking stupid!

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there is no racism...then why there is :

1) Chinese Chamber of Commerce
2) Chinese Swimming Club
3) Singapore Indian Association
4) Bugis Malay Society
5) Eurasian Association Singapore

All these names should be changed immediately to reflect political correctness and sensitivity.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought 'imposing' means forcing someone else to agree. I believe everyone should be entitled to their opinions.