• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Import competition and mental distress: The hidden cost of globalisation

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is the hidden truth that PAP dun want sinkies to know.:oIo:

As long as you are on top of the food chain, it does not affect you, eg ministar, CEOs, MPs, can just tcss and ask one to be bestest, fastest, work hardest.....but if one is at the middle, or lower rung......no need study already can feel the heat.......the importation of FTs is already doing that.......as mentioned by one forumers, when he went for interview, he was interviewed by a FT, do you think he stand a chance of getting the job?. Give it another 5 to 10 years when the imported FTs rise to middle management or top management, then Singaporeans will be really screwed.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as you are on top of the food chain, it does not affect you, eg ministar, CEOs, MPs, can just tcss and ask one to be bestest, fastest, work hardest.....but if one is at the middle, or lower rung......no need study already can feel the heat.......the importation of FTs is already doing that.......as mentioned by one forumers, when he went for interview, he was interviewed by a FT, do you think he stand a chance of getting the job?. Give it another 5 to 10 years when the imported FTs rise to middle management or top management, then Singaporeans will be really screwed.

i was talking to a friend who is working in US MNC over a drink, he lamented that his workplace which he witnessed have changed drastically over the last 15 years. now, there are groups in his company formed by pinoys and indians. the indian chiefs will take care of their own even recruitment. where as sinkies are killing one another in his workplace. i can feel the stress he is in, he has 2 schooling kids and a flat to pay for. luckily for him, his wife is working, he told me he can't afford to have wife not working.

my point is pap have really done us, sinkies a very big disfavour by importing too many FTs. i dare to say their policies are warped logic and do most harm to true blue sinkies, born and bred here.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i was talking to a friend who is working in US MNC over a drink, he lamented that his workplace which he witnessed have changed drastically over the last 15 years. now, there are groups in his company formed by pinoys and indians. the indian chiefs will take care of their own even recruitment. where as sinkies are killing one another in his workplace. i can feel the stress he is in, he has 2 schooling kids and a flat to pay for. luckily for him, his wife is working, he told me he can't afford to have wife not working.

my point is pap have really done us, sinkies a very big disfavour by importing too many FTs. i dare to say their policies are warped logic and do most harm to true blue sinkies, born and bred here.

In my organization, it is a rule that HR is Singaporean, not foreigner. Foreign directors or VPs, regardless of their importance, have no say at all in HR. We made it very clear to them from day 1 they joined us that they are directly risking their own jobs if they ever interfered with HR. We don't want a case of any employee, sinkie or foreigner, bringing in a truckload of idiots just because of any kinship ties. It happened before in my company and it cost us a lot of money to fire the guy, the one who recommended him and to clean up all the mess.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my organization, it is a rule that HR is Singaporean, not foreigner. Foreign directors or VPs, regardless of their importance, have no say at all in HR. We made it very clear to them from day 1 they joined us that they are directly risking their own jobs if they ever interfered with HR. We don't want a case of any employee, sinkie or foreigner, bringing in a truckload of idiots just because of any kinship ties. It happened before in my company and it cost us a lot of money to fire the guy, the one who recommended him and to clean up all the mess.

the company you are in, is your ah kong's company, izzit?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I was working in a US MNCs when they started bringing in HR people that was previously working for some Spore GLCs. It really went downhill after that. The former HR staff who were competent & looking after the the workers welfare soon resign & replaced by a HR that was used to fire people.

The new message that was sent out was to send people that you wanted out to HR & they would do the dirty deed. The new HR also started looking at ways to cut back our benefits. That was a signal for people to start leaving & look for greener pastures elsewhere e.g. Cisco, Intel,..:biggrin:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the company you are in, is your ah kong's company, izzit?

Not my Ah Kong's. I did far better in my career than my parents or grandparents. It's a partnership, but basically I went into business with some partners.

HR policy is to hire on merit. We hired a number of foreigners at first under the 'cheaper, better, faster' mania that once swept Singapore. The foreigners that we hired were mostly quite good, but many of them had a very bad habit of introducing their incompetent pals to job openings. It reached a point where I told my foreign serfs that if they recommended a pal, I would take it as their letter of resignation. What happened after that were the foreigners cutting back a lot on office politics, since the days of forcing people out and bringing in their own pals were over. Anyone who wanted to keep their jobs needed to show they could do their job. A lot less politicking and gossiping from them, and lot more focus on work, which was what my partners and I wanted.

Even if I really needed someone urgently, I resist the urge to ask my foreign serfs for job recommendations. I once fired a jerk after I found out he took a huge commission from a fellow foreigner that he recommended for the job. It was not much better than middlemen exploiting some poor construction worker, except that this was a white collared job.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not my Ah Kong's. I did far better in my career than my parents or grandparents. It's a partnership, but basically I went into business with some partners.

HR policy is to hire on merit. We hired a number of foreigners at first under the 'cheaper, better, faster' mania that once swept Singapore. The foreigners that we hired were mostly quite good, but many of them had a very bad habit of introducing their incompetent pals to job openings. It reached a point where I told my foreign serfs that if they recommended a pal, I would take it as their letter of resignation. What happened after that were the foreigners cutting back a lot on office politics, since the days of forcing people out and bringing in their own pals were over. Anyone who wanted to keep their jobs needed to show they could do their job. A lot less politicking and gossiping from them, and lot more focus on work, which was what my partners and I wanted.

Even if I really needed someone urgently, I resist the urge to ask my foreign serfs for job recommendations. I once fired a jerk after I found out he took a huge commission from a fellow foreigner that he recommended for the job. It was not much better than middlemen exploiting some poor construction worker, except that this was a white collared job.

Excellent. Sadly, enlightened capitalists are far too few in numbers. Most are simply oblivious, banking on the good fortune of their forefathers. If we can drive them out of business, much social ill would be eliminated.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i hope sinkies realise this, it is not too late, next step, vote for a president that speak for you and not for them.:kma:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just in case if you think otherwise, i may be leaving sinkieland but i am still a sinkie at heart, i will help my fellow countrymen even when i am there.