• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

IKEA to do away with disposable shopping bags

roastgoose

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its an environmentally friendly step in the correct direction and more businesses should be encouraged to follow suit.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps. But most people use plastic bags to dispose of their trash. Otherwise how?

Yes, but how many plastic bags do you need to get rid of your trash, maximum 2 if you fill them properly (i hope you fill them:smile:
If i go buy my normal day and will not reject and plastic bag offered to me ill probably get 5-6 a day, easily. For me the issue is the sheer number of bags.

1. Buy a drink at petrol station - 1 bag, do you really need it, i see many people throw it after stepping out, why not just reject?!
2. Supermarket - My god, half a trolley of goods is being packed in 7-8 bags, some items use double bags. Why not bring your own?! Why dont the supermarket have bigger stronger bags?!
3. Hardware store - No matter how small or light the item, you get a plastic bag. Why not just reject it?
4. Many more examples - ADD TO THE LIST

Best example is my mother in law. She is a master at folding plastic bags into small little triangles, we had hundreds of them, literally! When i asked her why we need so many: To throw rubbish! Man....as if plastic bags are not rubbish...

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, but how many plastic bags do you need to get rid of your trash, maximum 2 if you fill them properly (i hope you fill them:smile:
If i go buy my normal day and will not reject and plastic bag offered to me ill probably get 5-6 a day, easily. For me the issue is the sheer number of bags.

You and I are civic-conscious in different ways. I do pack my plastic bag with trash to the brim. I also stay on a 4th level unit. Once I let go the bag down the rubbish chute the chances are a single bag will split on impact. As such all my trash is double-bagged when I drop it off the rubbish chute. My responsibility is not just to the environment but to the cleaners who have to clear the trash at the end of the chute. We do not have major land fills in Singapore, unlike elsewhere, which is the issue bugging environmentalists. Essentially, all the trash is incinerated at Tuas.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
but why do we expect the plastic bag to be free. if we need a plastic bag to throw rubbish, then surely it is ok to pay for one, as in most things in this country

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
but why do we expect the plastic bag to be free. if we need a plastic bag to throw rubbish, then surely it is ok to pay for one, as in most things in this country

I completely agree. That's why IKEA had been charging for such bags, and now it is doing away with them completely.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
We do not have major land fills in Singapore, unlike elsewhere, which is the issue bugging environmentalists. Essentially, all the trash is incinerated at Tuas.

Even more reason to get rid of plastic bags. Plastic bags are trash which needs to be disposed/burnt.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw some documentary showing the incineration process. The ash is used as filler for land reclamation. So Sporeans are drinking ex-pee & living on trash :o

Indeed. From ashes to ashes. The incineration process also provides electricity generation.

Hwheels

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ikea still sells meatballs. There's a halal version (at Tampines) and the frozen ones/sauce/berry jam can also be found at the frozen foods section next to where they sell the hotdogs and cones. Quality/taste no longer the same though.