• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If Singaporeans don't earn enough, you can't blame the government

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sharp as usual Sam. I would like to respond to your statements but I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

You quoted the right line, but the operative word is "backward", and the context is "economy". New jobs are added in the services sectors, largely near the low end. Where jobs are suitable in this country, they do not preclude the possibility of a similarly qualified from another part of the world. What that means is this new job doesn't require any intrinsic value that is derived from receiving an education in Singapore. That being the case, education quality and content may not be the issue.

For the PAP to blame it on the citizen is almost too predictable, but I suggest looking from another perspective.

Now if universities are run like businesses, they would all go out of business in Singapore. An SMU graduate may be equally qualified for a role as one from Zhejiang University, but the cost of education is likely 3 times that of institutions elsewhere like China. What this means is that the university in this example is inefficient if you consider the annual budget for administrative staff, local/foreign scholarship grants and teaching staff.

These three categories may not be collectively exhaustive of all costs students are paying before subsidies, but I am sure it is not difficult for readers to see where costs may be reduced. With lower tuition fees, perhaps Singaporeans can someday afford to be competitive by becoming "cheaper better faster" than our third world counterparts.

To continue as it is without pressures to cut costs would be double standards and contradiction to the free market ideology espoused by the PAP and obliging bureaucrats. Because if people don't earn enough (to break even their initial investment), it may be because they overpaid for something which the government is responsible for.

P.S. Have I also mentioned either way the bureaucrats win? Surely if we look into the public schools systems and the Ministry, greater inefficiency is likely to exist for the administrative overheads and grants to foreign students.

Sam is sharp??? You got to be kidding me. All he does is to use a standard template or a model answer if u like to response to any criticisms of the PAP failed systems. He's nothing but a PAP parrot. And u tell me he's sharp!!!!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Luckily you were only a relief teacher for a short time. Otherwise you would have got into some trouble with these ah lians.

I may be a risk taker but with underaged ah lians, I think my self-discipline would prevail. There were 2 teachers who were quite chio too. One was sama sama - relief teacher. Other than makan during recess and the usual casual conversation, sadly, nothing worth mentioning took place. If only could turn back the clock.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam is sharp??? You got to be kidding me. All he does is to use a standard template or a model answer if u like to response to any criticisms of the PAP failed systems. He's nothing but a PAP parrot. And u tell me he's sharp!!!!

He did get the gist of my long posts, even though he intentionally distorts and misses the point altogether.

EDIT: Good thing about SBF is I start to understand how people read.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

In order to appreciate how sharp I am, you need to have a similar level of intelligence. You're obviously a few rungs lower to the point where even the "poor and the disadvantaged" can con you into believing their so called "plight".

Have any of them got any jobs yet? There are dishwashing jobs at Jumbos for $1600 per month and the bus companies are crying out for drivers (captains) or are these sorts of jobs beneath their "dignity".:rolleyes:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have any of them got any jobs yet? There are dishwashing jobs at Jumbos for $1600 per month and the bus companies are crying out for drivers (captains) or are these sorts of jobs beneath their "dignity".:rolleyes:

LHL should appoint Gerald Ee again to review the salary at this scale whether it is able to meet people standard of livings and dignity. If ministers can cry foul over drawing at least $1.1mil and doing nothing, it is only fair the people be given sufficient compensation for our sacrifice. The lower rung of society also have children wanting to go to good schools, able to service housing installments, basic living standard and other fundamental susbsistence expenses. Our equal and better contributions to this society also demand that we get our 13 months of bonuses pegged to our last drawn. I suggest we benchmark our salary to the entry level ministers and further 40% discount to show ethos of sacrfice serving this country.

Last edited:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you believe in Darwin's theory of evolution? I do.

Why do some birds become eagles and crows while others become canary and finches? I think it is the environment. The genetic makeup evolved over the years to adapt to the environment. I disagreed in silence whenever the term "bird brain" was used to describe those that were slow. It is a great insult to the crows. We tends to limit the bird species to domesticated canaries that wait for food and sing for their masters or finches that can even flip poker cards just for the reward of a grain. We have forgotten about the mighty crows. They eat anything, learn fast and respond quickly to threats.

Once I saw a beautiful yellow canary flying unsteadily across a road (it must have escaped). Suddenly, a crow swooped down from nowhere and snatched it in mid-air. I was angered and pitied the poor bird. It is not at fault for its poor survival instinct. The owner of that canary is accountable.

Crows was once a frequent term used to describe PRCs. Though insulting, it is most apt. Like crows, they fight for survival in a foreign land. They are street smart, crafty.... Probably the harsh environment back home molded them, altering their genetic makeup.

Our young are like domesticated canary and finch. There was no threat to their survival since birth. Most evolved to be compliant. However, some evolved to become domesticated fighting cock. These are the nightmares, terrorizing the other birds. But if they meet the eagles, they will be dead meat. Interestingly, they didn't know that eagles exist because there is hardly any left. Their only fear are the caretakers of the bird park who can locked them up.

We need to change the singing canaries and the card flipping finches into crows. Yes, we can by changing the environment, However, it will take a few generations before evolution can complete its course. It is easy to make mistake but correcting the mistake is tough.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
myfoot123 said:
LHL should appoint Gerald Ee again to review the salary at this scale whether it is able to meet people standard of livings and dignity.

Give this guy a break. He has already been roped in to chair the committee on transport. Now you want him to make recommendation for minimum salary? As with the ministerial salary, he will be given guideline to aim at subsistence level and nothing more. Remember he is a social service guy and this will upset his mentees.

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Give this guy a break. He has already been roped in to chair the committee on transport. Now you want him to make recommendation for minimum salary? As with the ministerial salary, he will be given guideline to aim at subsistence level and nothing more. Remember he is a social service guy and this will upset his mentees.

If dog and pig can be chosen as current NMP, you think I still trust the choiced people of PAP to set up Salary Review committee?

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
In order to appreciate how sharp I am, you need to have a similar level of intelligence. You're obviously a few rungs lower to the point where even the "poor and the disadvantaged" can con you into believing their so called "plight".

That's right. You're so sharp that u were able to see that u are already hopeless in S'pore n had to quit this country and flee to NZ. But then again if u are that sharp, how come u ended up as a hopeless case in the first place. Put much more trust in PAP flawed policies?

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is uncommon to find dishwashing job that pays more than $900 a month. You have to do 2 dishwasher job if you want a $1,600 paycheck (employer saves $200 for hiring you). Anyone who fancy washing plates as career and expect to earn $5,000 a month can pm me, I pass you my contact.

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is uncommon to find dishwashing job that pays more than $900 a month. You have to do 2 dishwasher job if you want a $1,600 paycheck (employer saves $200 for hiring you). Anyone who fancy washing plates as career and expect to earn $5,000 a month can pm me, I pass you my contact.

You say do double dishwasher job for $1,600 is about market rate. You say $5,000 for dishwasher, I suspect something illegal.