• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I wrote to Tommy Koh & he also agrees that huge influx of FTs causing problems in SG!

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
from Tommy KOH <[email protected]>
to [email protected]
cc [email protected]
date Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM
subject Re: FW: ST article - Basic pay: Tommy Koh weighs in

hide details 10:25 AM (1 hour ago)

Thanks.
I agree with your analysis.
Best wishes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:42 AM
To: Chairman, IPS
Subject: ST article - Basic pay: Tommy Koh weighs in

Dear Tommy,

I'm writing to you in regard to what you have been quoted on ST during your recent book launch:

'The growing disparity and the hardship faced by the lowest 20 per cent of
our workers are threats to our social cohesion and inconsistent with our
policy of inclusive growth,' he said at a book launch. 'As a Straits Times
correspondent recently commented, Singapore is a First World country with a Third World wage structure.'

Indeed, I agree with you totally on this point. In my view, the number 1
culprit in causing the fall of income of our lowest 20% of our workforce is
due to the relentless influx of foreign "talents" into Singapore, thanks to
our Government's open door policy to foreign workers. As it is, the foreign
population in Singapore now stands at 36%, the highest among the 1st world nations in the world. Huge influx of foreign workers helps to depress wages in Singapore due to the increase supply of cheap manpower from 3rd world countries.

Increasingly, this huge influx of foreign workers is now also threatening
the jobs of our PMETs. Just to give you an illustration, the other day my
company was trying to recruit an account assistant. Typically, the market
rate for such a position is about $1500 for a fresh recruit. We had many
PRC, Vietnamese, Burmese etc applicants (LCCI fresh grads from here) all
asking for salaries very much well below $1500. Some Burmese applicants
even asked for $800 so that they could get a job and continue to stay in
Singapore.

Now, you might ask, how can a Burmese survive on $800 in Singapore? I asked the same question and one told me that he lived with 3 others in a room paying $150 for rental each. For food, he said he could survive very well on $200 a month. I estimated that he could probably save $400 a month for him to send back home. Using google, one can calculate that $400 is about US$300 or 300,000 Kyat. From google, I've also found out that a junior civil servant is only paid 20,000 Kyat a month in Myanmar. In other words, at $400, this is already more than 1 year's pay of a junior civil servant in Myanmar!

Hence, these 3rd world foreign workers are participating nothing more than
economic arbitraging. We of course, can't blame them since it's only
natural that people will want to seek out the best for themselves and for
their lives. But the question we want to ask ourselves is this - will
Singaporeans also want to live like them in our own country? That is,
squeezing 4 to a room and eating sparingly for every meals?

Lastly, congratulations on your book launch.

Best regards

Kojakbt

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Re: I wrote to Tommy Koh & he also agrees that huge influx of FTs causing problems in

I would prefer not to argue in the context of what this FT can get out back home. Instead, I would focus more on the home front that the "man in white" cannot denied.

In this case, obviously there is downward pressure for employers to go for cheaper alternative to our PMETs. In other words base on the "salary" that the FTs are willing to accept. That puts the average PMETs salary in the same category as a supermarket helper if there is no control on this group of FTs.

So, ask the "man in white", do they expect our children having spent so much time and money getting a diploma or degree, have to accept the salary of a supermarket helper?

Singapore.

Now, you might ask, how can a Burmese survive on $800 in Singapore? I asked the same question and one told me that he lived with 3 others in a room paying $150 for rental each. For food, he said he could survive very well on $200 a month. I estimated that he could probably save $400 a month for him to send back home. Using google, one can calculate that $400 is about US$300 or 300,000 Kyat. From google, I've also found out that a junior civil servant is only paid 20,000 Kyat a month in Myanmar. In other words, at $400, this is already more than 1 year's pay of a junior civil servant in Myanmar!

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: I wrote to Tommy Koh & he also agrees that huge influx of FTs causing problems in

Singapore.

Best regards

Kojakbt

Your company hired Singaporean or Foreigner then?

Are we pointing the finger at people who undercut or people who accept the undercut?

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

unfortunately tommy koh, left leaning liberal that he is, has been sidelined by LKY. TK pretty much went into "exile" as our ambassador at large for many years.

i would vote for TK, but i'm sure the deal he was cut precludes him from running in politics.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal

The only places they havent allowed FTs to displace are the Ministers and top civil servants.

from Tommy KOH <[email protected]>
to [email protected]
cc [email protected]
date Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM
subject Re: FW: ST article - Basic pay: Tommy Koh weighs in

hide details 10:25 AM (1 hour ago)

Thanks.
I agree with your analysis.
Best wishes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:42 AM
To: Chairman, IPS
Subject: ST article - Basic pay: Tommy Koh weighs in

Dear Tommy,

I'm writing to you in regard to what you have been quoted on ST during your recent book launch:

'The growing disparity and the hardship faced by the lowest 20 per cent of
our workers are threats to our social cohesion and inconsistent with our
policy of inclusive growth,' he said at a book launch. 'As a Straits Times
correspondent recently commented, Singapore is a First World country with a Third World wage structure.'

Indeed, I agree with you totally on this point. In my view, the number 1
culprit in causing the fall of income of our lowest 20% of our workforce is
due to the relentless influx of foreign "talents" into Singapore, thanks to
our Government's open door policy to foreign workers. As it is, the foreign
population in Singapore now stands at 36%, the highest among the 1st world nations in the world. Huge influx of foreign workers helps to depress wages in Singapore due to the increase supply of cheap manpower from 3rd world countries.

Singapore.

Hence, these 3rd world foreign workers are participating nothing more than
economic arbitraging. We of course, can't blame them since it's only
natural that people will want to seek out the best for themselves and for
their lives. But the question we want to ask ourselves is this - will
Singaporeans also want to live like them in our own country? That is,
squeezing 4 to a room and eating sparingly for every meals?

Lastly, congratulations on your book launch.

Best regards

Kojakbt

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal

I know that in Canada e.g. the employer has to prove when challenged that they could not find another local to do the job before they can recruit a foreigner.

Problem is our workers here are in chains under the so-called NTUC tripartism where trade unions have been castrated and suppressed by the govt. to be exploited by capitalists.

Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but yr chains!

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Most of the developed countries have this "local" first policy. Think about it, how can they afford to let the locals goes unemployed? These people can claims "unemployment benefits" and would be a drain on their pension funds. In fact, it's the other way around, the local governance are busy working to match make you with another job, the minute they know you are out of job.

Only in Singapore that we have to come under so much abuse of our right as a Citizen, because there is no "cost" to the state. That is, you die your own business. :mad:

I know that in Canada e.g. the employer has to prove when challenged that they could not find another local to do the job before they can recruit a foreigner.

Problem is our workers here are in chains under the so-called NTUC tripartism where trade unions have been castrated and suppressed by the govt. to be exploited by capitalists.

Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but yr chains!

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Implementing minimum wages doesnt solve the problem, If the gov set $800-$1,200 per month and said, based on their "survey", these amount can survive in SG , what can you do?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do not think the influx of FTs are causing problems .

I think the lack of FTs in the government / Minister's cabinet is a problem !

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your company hired Singaporean or Foreigner then?

Are we pointing the finger at people who undercut or people who accept the undercut?

In the end we hired a S'porean :smile:

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal

Problem is our workers here are in chains under the so-called NTUC tripartism...

You mean that organization being led by a Zorro clown?

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

PAP ministers rewarding themselves world class salaries on the basis of making policies promoting 3rd world pay among Singaporeans ...

What a fascinating KPI!

Last edited: